PDA

View Full Version : hand luggage with virgin

daisy
25-05-2005, 23:52
hi just wondered if anyone can help will be flying out in 17 days [msnsmile2] have got to get my wedding dress out there and back safely. have e-mailed virgin and they have advised me to put in main suitcase not too shure about this has anyone ever done this ? was going to try to use suit carrier but not shure you can have a suitcarier with hand luggage restrictions for size. has anyone taken suit carriers or wedding dress out to orlando ? any advice would be much appreciated

george
25-05-2005, 23:57
Hi
Virgin are very strict about handd luggage we managed to get through with larger and heavier hand luggage than we should have but as we were waiting to board they came round and told us that our hand luggage was much to heavy and had to be put in a separate place. I think I would take maybe a separate case and pack your dress in that.
Pamela

tia 33
25-05-2005, 23:59
Virgin allow one item of hand luggage per passenger in Economy and Premium Economy, weighing no more than 5kg and with dimensions of no more than 9" x 14" x 22". In Upper Class you are allowed two pieces with the weight and dimensions as before per piece. Presumably if your dress will fit in a carrier of these dimensions then you will be ok!

Hope this helps and have a fantastic time!! :D

orlandodaze
26-05-2005, 00:01
I would be wary putting the dress in the hold[msnscared] fortunately we have never had any luggage issues with VS. It might be worth calling them (Telephone 01293 562345) and explaining your situation, you could possibly bring it onboard and ask the cabin crew to store it in the wardrobes in the Business cabin? Have a lovely holiday and enjoy your big day
[msnsmile2]

daisy
26-05-2005, 00:05
thankyou for advice. i will try and phone them now

26-05-2005, 00:09
I would not risk putting a wedding dress in the hold - I would take it in a suit carrier and when you get to the airport ask to speak to the duty manager, ask them to ask the Captains permission to take your wedding dress on board. Send Virgin Special Services a letter before hand warning them of your intentions[msnwink]

Have a wonderful day!!!!

daisy
26-05-2005, 00:12
hi lucy do you think that thaey will let me have the suitcarier as hand lugage ? should have thought to ask you. i e-mailed virgin explaning the situation and there solution was to put in suitcase but am not happy with this.

26-05-2005, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daisy
hi lucy do you think that thaey will let me have the suitcarier as hand lugage ? should have thought to ask you. i e-mailed virgin explaning the situation and there solution was to put in suitcase but am not happy with this.

[/quote]

I am going to stick my neck out here and say ignore what Virgin say[msnscared] Where are you flying from?

daisy
26-05-2005, 00:16
hi manchester, was just going to act daft when getting to airport and smile nicely[msnsmile2] to see if they will let me have it on baord. just had a thought will they let other half have a suitcarrier for his suit ?

26-05-2005, 00:23
hi manchester, was just going to act daft when getting to airport and smile nicely[msnsmile2] to see if they will let me have it on baord. just had a thought will they let other half have a suitcarrier for his suit ?

[/quote]

Ok heres what I would do - if you live near enough to the airport I would come down to the airport over the weekend or whenever suits you at around 1030 in the morning so the flight should be just about to go (staff will be less busy if the flight on the day has gone) and ask to speak to the duty manager, explain what date you are flying out and that you NEED to take your wedding dress on board and how can you arrange it so that on your day of departure arrangements will be in place and you wont have to worry.

If you don't live near enough to the airport let me know?[msnwink]

Does this make sense??

daisy
26-05-2005, 00:25
thankyou lucy you are a star. i dont live too far away and neaver need an excuse to visit he airport love the place (i know strange) will go down this weekend and see what i can do.
manythnaks everyone for advice always appreciated

26-05-2005, 00:30
thankyou lucy you are a star. i dont live too far away and neaver need an excuse to visit he airport love the place (i know strange) will go down this weekend and see what i can do.
manythnaks everyone for advice always appreciated
[/quote]

You are welcome if all else fails cry!!! If you feel any resistance tell them you know that the Captain has the power to carry it in the flight deck wardrobe if needs be and I don't know one that would refuse a bride!![msnwink]

gromit
26-05-2005, 03:11
Also try to put what would normally be in your hand luggage into your suitcase and give your book to your partner etc, this way they can not argue that you have too many items of hand luggage. Hope that makes sense. Usually a hand bag if it is small is in addition to your one allowed item of hand luggage!

good luck and congratulations on your wedding....

LiesaAnna
26-05-2005, 03:13
hope all goes well! please make sure you let us know! we will all be worrying about it!!

DisneyDreamer
26-05-2005, 11:55
I have my fingers crossed that you get this sorted...let us know how it goes :)

daisy
26-05-2005, 20:54
i will be posting a lengthy trip report beleive me ... you will all need cushions [msnsmile2]

domster
26-05-2005, 21:37
If all else fails you could always wear it and get a few free bottles of Virgin Bubbly for the flight......and have a merry time...[msnsmile2]

26-05-2005, 21:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster
If all else fails you could always wear it and get a few free bottles of Virgin Bubbly for the flight......and have a merry time...[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Thats not as daft as its sounds[msnwink]

daisy
27-05-2005, 02:32
might have too if they wont let me have it as hand luggage ...

Susan J
27-05-2005, 13:27
I have been on a Virgin flight from Man, when a Wedding dress was stowed in our "wardrobe" for a bride, downstairs. All the stewardesses kept saying how beautiful it looked so I guess the zip on the carrier [ it was like a suit carrier] was up and down all flight :D
Congrats and good wishes!

daisy
27-05-2005, 23:11
thanks for that susan. i am just going to ask very nicely [msnsmile2]

27-05-2005, 23:37
thanks for that susan. i am just going to ask very nicely [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Told you! [msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

daisy
28-05-2005, 17:21
thats why i love this forum, its great to be able to ask people and get so many responses and real life experiences. iwill be going with dress in suitcarrier and smilling. will let you know how i get on

28-05-2005, 21:01
thats why i love this forum, its great to be able to ask people and get so many responses and real life experiences. iwill be going with dress in suitcarrier and smilling. will let you know how i get on
[/quote]

Good luck!!