PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Miles + money

E. Cosgrove
24-05-2005, 20:54
Just booked for Feb half term 2006. £231 + 2000 air miles, I think that's a great deal as the regular economy flight price was £446!!!:D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
24-05-2005, 20:57
Sounds like a good deal to me Liz, will have to take a look as Ray & I are thinking or going on our own again next Feb/March.[msnsmile2]

andrewmckay5
24-05-2005, 20:58
Nice one Liz.
We flew last year Premium Economy for £440-00 plus 7500 points.
Personally I think this is the best way to use points, followed by upgrading for 10,000 points then companion flights and lastly the free flight option.
It also means that people who have only flown once to Orlando have enough points to use in some way.

andrew

eagleydo
24-05-2005, 21:05
We booked this way as well, flying Dec/Jan. 8 people at £274 each, couldn't be better.

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 21:26
sounds like my cup of tea!
flights to florida for sept/oct £502 but virgin miles + money is £377 and apparently we can give our daughter and her partner points as well, so they can fly for the same price as us! i prefer virgin after all said and done in previous postings, at least i know where i stand with them!

rosie
24-05-2005, 21:47
We did the same Liz, we got 3 weeks in Dec for £194 each + 2000 miles [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 22:21
thats a wow! Rosie!![msnwink]

athurstance
24-05-2005, 22:35
Liesa,
To give your daughter points do you just book their flights with yours. I would like to use my points to get my parents the same deal as us when we fly with them next year so if I book all 6 flights can I do miles+money for all of them.

Jo
24-05-2005, 22:47
Can I use Star Alliance points for this do you know?

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 22:56
Angela am sorry i have no idea at present, i was told by a friend that you can give the points to whoever you like so until i actually book them i wont know unless someone can tell us both here please anyone?...................................[?]

rosie
24-05-2005, 23:05
Angela, as long as you book all the tickets together you can get them on miles+money [msnsmile]

athurstance
24-05-2005, 23:08
Thanks Rosie - that's what I'll do. My Mum will be pleased - she likes a bargain.

LiesaAnna
25-05-2005, 00:12
Thanks Rosie i am happy now too![msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
25-05-2005, 01:09
I booked flights for myself and my sister, even though I knew her frequent flyer number they took them both off my account. That means she gets to booknext time [msnwink]

CarolAnn
25-05-2005, 16:36
I like the way you are thinking Liz:D Is this yet ANOTHER trip young lady[msnwink] They seem to be coming thick and fast for you at the moment[msnsmile2]

Madabouttigger
06-06-2005, 00:07
I didn't realise that you could you some of the points to reduce the cost of a flight, this will save us a fortune for when we fly Nov 06, there are 6 of us going and I have enough Virgin Miles to reduce all our flight costs. Big Big thank you to the forum yet again, what did we do before the Internet?? [beer]

Diane

andrewmckay5
06-06-2005, 00:15
Diane,
to state the obvious book as early as you can and don't rely on their web site to show the availability of miles plus money. I've booked over the phone much earlier than the availability was shown on the web.
andrew

Lynne S
06-06-2005, 16:29
We booked for Thanksgiving this November using our points + money, and got a great deal.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can do the same for May 06[msnwink]

sundowner
06-06-2005, 16:36
nine times out of ten I prefer to actually talk to someone when booking etc. I always look on web site first but generally find out more info or better deals by speaking to people. That is for everything not just flights.

One pointer though if you do this, always ask for confirmation from them in writing, otherwise they could tell you anything and not have to uphold their promise.

lgordon6041
06-06-2005, 21:24
Miles + Money is a very good scheme, I use it quite regularly and it certainly saves a decent amount of money!
I may go premium economy next time and treat myself!

wrpac00
06-06-2005, 23:31
Lee, I don't think that's so easy with PE.

That is what we have done this year in July but the Miles + money would have worked out to be £880 + 20000 miles each. What we did in the end was to take the companion fare, £1150 for 1 full price tkt and 30000 miles and £75. Just over £600 each for PE when economy at that time is about £730 each.

Madabouttigger
09-06-2005, 13:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Diane,
to state the obvious book as early as you can and don't rely on their web site to show the availability of miles plus money. I've booked over the phone much earlier than the availability was shown on the web.
andrew
[/quote]

Thanks Andrew I will do, the problem we have is that there is 6 of us travelling and we can't all get our confirmed time off work until January and we want to fly the following November, but with all your help and advice I'm sure we will find a bargain somewhere!

Diane.

djdigitald
09-06-2005, 14:58
I just had a look at the website and it doesn't seem to allow you to book children only adults??? Am i doing something wrong?

LiesaAnna
09-06-2005, 17:27
i know where your coming from Daniel! altho we havent booked ours yet we were trying to get prices and they dont do kiddies, apparently you have to ring them!

djdigitald
09-06-2005, 19:28
Seems [bad language filtered out] pointless. I take it you still get the same deals as you do online?

LiesaAnna
09-06-2005, 23:38
think so but havent booked ours yet!!!! am sure someone will answer you!!!!! soon!!![msnwink]

djdigitald
10-06-2005, 12:40
I have emailed the Vigin Flying Club, no doubt i will get a reply in about 6 years time!!!!!

andrewmckay5
10-06-2005, 12:44
Daniel,
just ring the Flying Club, thsy really helpful on the phone:
08701 61 60 59
andrew

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 13:23
and they have been really helpful to me as well, but i dealt with them through email and it was all done and dusted so to speak withing 3 days, which i didnt think was bad[msnwink]

djdigitald
10-06-2005, 15:57
We shall wait and see, i will keep you posted as i have a few queries outstanding with Virgin at the moment [msnwink]

djdigitald
10-06-2005, 18:59
Just got a reply

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your e-mail.

As the Miles Plus Money booking option does not have child fares, this
is the reason as to why you are unable to book this for your daughter
online. A standard child fare would need to be booked by our travel
advisors.

[/quote]

Strange, wonder why they don't offer it on childrens tickets and just half the miles usage [msncry]

brizzle
10-06-2005, 19:06
I booked for 3 adults and 2 children and you can get the miles+money option on all of them. It is just the children don't earn the miles, they can still be cashed in against child fares.
Give them a call.

We went from a total fare of £2500 for this October (during school holiday) to £1500. We definitely had a discount on all the fares.

General rule is that you get a 40% discount on adult *and* children for 2000 miles per head.

Brizzle.

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 20:36
well thanx to you Brizzle when we book our flights we should save quite a bit of money as the flights are up for £502 (last time i checked) and when we got an estimate (-daughter and grandson) they were down with virgin miles to £377 per person, so i am impressed with that, thanx Brizzle[msnwink]

djdigitald
13-06-2005, 11:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
I booked for 3 adults and 2 children and you can get the miles+money option on all of them. It is just the children don't earn the miles, they can still be cashed in against child fares.
Give them a call.

We went from a total fare of £2500 for this October (during school holiday) to £1500. We definitely had a discount on all the fares.

General rule is that you get a 40% discount on adult *and* children for 2000 miles per head.

Brizzle.
[/quote]

That kind of contradicts the email i got from Virgin[msnscared]Oh well i suppose i will have to phone them when i book and see what i get.

brizzle
13-06-2005, 14:53
First person I spoke to when I rang Virgin was as much use as a chocolate teapot....
She told me I had to use one persons flying points (10,000) and couldn't use 4,000 from mine and then 4,000 from the wife's account and 2,000 from my Mums.

When I rang back to book I got a clued up operator who let me split it across the accounts and was very helpful.

So don't take their word for it if they initially still claim that children can't have fares booked on miles+money, ask to speak to a supervisor (nicely of course :)) and explain you know someone who has done this so it must be possible.

The operator must be getting confused with the fact that children, quite rightly, do not *accumulate* flying points.

Brizzle.

Lynne S
13-06-2005, 16:07
I booked our 4 adult tickets on-line using 2000 points for each at the same time I was on the phone booking my daughter's seat to make sure we all got on the same flight. I got Jessica's ticket for £207 using another 2000 points.

It can be done.....And it's worth the effort[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

LiesaAnna
13-06-2005, 22:51
Thanx Lynne made me happy!!
i now know how much it is for Lauren!!

Aiminghigh
14-06-2005, 00:12
I presume you're all talking about using airmiles gained from previous flights to gain a discount on subsequent ones. I have 2 questions:
1. Is it worth using the Virgin credit cards for everyday purchases to amass airmiles or points to be used towards flights.
2. What is the time limit for using the airmiles following a Virgin flight.
Thanks

jillizzy
14-06-2005, 01:08
Aiminghigh the answers to your questions are

1 It really depends on how you use a credit card. We use our Virgin Credit card and pay it off at the end of the month. We use it for everything we can and amass plenty of airmiles. You get one airmile for every pound you spend. Or if you pay an annual fee of £80 you get 2 airmiles for every pound you spend.

2. Your miles are usuable for 3 years from any activity - either a flight or a credit card purchase.

Bear in mind if you use miles + money fares you do not attract any airmiles or tier points for that trip. Hope that helps.

Jill

djdigitald
14-06-2005, 15:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jadehouse
I booked our 4 adult tickets on-line using 2000 points for each at the same time I was on the phone booking my daughter's seat to make sure we all got on the same flight. I got Jessica's ticket for £207 using another 2000 points.

It can be done.....And it's worth the effort[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]

That is reassuring [msnsmile2]

Madabouttigger
15-06-2005, 21:06
Jill - can you please just confirm that I have understood you correctly, If I book 6 flights for myself and family using my miles and money, none of us will attract any airmiles for those flights?

Thanks

Diane.[msnscared]

jillizzy
15-06-2005, 23:13
Diane - yes that's correct.

You can only earn miles when booking a qualifying fare. Miles plus money fares are booked into N class which doesn't qualify.

I have been flying with Virgin for many years and as far as I know this has always been the same. If you look an virgin atlantic's website it gives you all the terms and conditions of these types of fares.

Jill

brizzle
16-06-2005, 12:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
Jill - can you please just confirm that I have understood you correctly, If I book 6 flights for myself and family using my miles and money, none of us will attract any airmiles for those flights?

Thanks

Diane.[msnscared]
[/quote]

That is correct unless you book with a Virgin Credit Card then you will get the flying points for using that card...:)
6 flights would get you a nice amount of flying points I would imagine.

Brizzle

Madabouttigger
16-06-2005, 20:23
Thanks Brizzle didn't think of that option, what a good idea. Knew you guys would come up trumps again!

Diane.
[msnwink]

KJH
22-06-2005, 03:15
I've just booked for miles + money for 19/3/06-9/4/06 at it cost £2422 for five of us in Premium economy.

Dawn from the above site gave a really great quote, but virgin beat it by £871 + plus the miles.

Kaz

Ana
22-06-2005, 15:56
I queried why you cannot book child M+M online and was told it's because they need to make sure that the child is travelling with an adult. Apparently they don't allow children travelling alone to use M+M. I have no idea why their system doesn't simply check this as you're booking???

Also remember booking online is £5 per head cheaper than phoning at the moment - I got our December flights for £189 + tax then just phoned and did our youngest manually.
:D

trevlad
23-06-2005, 13:23
a query about recommending friends and family.
do i read it correctly that to get your free miles from a friend , they must pretty much book thru virgin to qualify as someone told me that seats bought cheaper from an agent/broker dont normally qualify. all to do with the ticket letter reference?

Ana
23-06-2005, 14:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
a query about recommending friends and family.
do i read it correctly that to get your free miles from a friend , they must pretty much book thru virgin to qualify as someone told me that seats bought cheaper from an agent/broker dont normally qualify. all to do with the ticket letter reference?
[/quote]
Yes, it's 3000 miles. Even booking through Virgin doesn't guarantee anything. I recommended a few people last year, they booked their flights through Virgin but their flights still didn't qualify as they were the wrong code. You don't get a second chance either - they have to take the qualifying flight within a few months of you recommending them :(

brizzle
23-06-2005, 16:14
Indded my Mum booked and I had 'recommended' her before she did it.
It all depends on the seat class/code.
We did it through Charter Travel but you could still not get the miles if you book direct with Virgin on one of these non-qualifying flight codes.

She did however qualify for the flying points for the return flight to Orlando for herself.

On a related note I had a quote the other day for February, leaving in the school holidays and coming back just after term starts, for £989 (2 adults and 2 children) which I thought was fantastic, so it is definitely worth looking into.

Brizzle.

lindajo
17-08-2005, 15:57
I know this was mentioned earlier in this thread but can you use your points to upgrade from economy to premium economy and would you know how many points this would take. We both have 37,000 points and unsure as to the best way to use them.
Thanks
Lindajo

andrewmckay5
17-08-2005, 20:24
10,000 points one way plus tax (I think) of about £20-00.
This all depends on the normal things such as availability, type of economy ticket purchased etc.
If you have no luck before you travel using the points or at check in it is always worth asking at the gate.
We did this last xmas and the 3 of us were upgraded for 10,000 points each plus approx £20 tax each.Seats were available because of no shows but they only knew this after check in had closed and hence why we asked at the gate.
andrew

weemac
17-08-2005, 23:15
If i book tickets with 'miles and money' can i just pay a deposit now (flights next july) or do i need to pay the full fare now?

wend
17-08-2005, 23:46
Hi, was informed over the phone by Virgin just yesterday when looking into booking my flights for next May with M+M that the whole balance was due NOW. Unfortunately, I just couldn't book as have to pay for my November ones next week.

Wend

andrewmckay5
17-08-2005, 23:51
I've always paid full price at the time of booking; used the Virgin credit card to get the miles though:)
andrew