PDA

View Full Version : virgin.......

monkeys
25-03-2003, 23:29
hello again, thanks for replies to previous posts

just wondered had anyone travelled from gatwick to florida with virgin?
what kind of service and flight can i expect, are the flights stupidly cramped etc

thanks

floridahol
26-03-2003, 01:29
Hi there, Yes I have flown with Virgin to Orlando about a dozen times, including most recently last month. I would have to say the flights are pretty comfortable, the advantage of Virgin over most other airlines is the entertainment system which normally has a good selection of half a dozen good films (normally inlcuding a recent/new disney film for the kids), as well as other channels such as comedy programmes, a kids channel etc. Some even have video games which goes down very well with the teenagers.

Another noticeable plus point is the service of the cabin staff, they are very helpfull, always in a reasonable mood, and prompt with food etc. As for space (legroom...), theres not a great deal in economy, but its not too bad (I'm 6 foot 2 and I can put up with it for 8 hours...).

There is a kids pack given out before takeoff and if you ask for one - a kids meal too. I would reccomend this for any little ones who would much rather have chicken nuggets than lasagne.

We now always fly with Virgin to Florida, and to be honest I've grown to look foward to the flight rather than dread it (didnt use to be too keen on flying!). If you have any specific questions just ask and i'll see if I can help.

Have a great holiday!

tinkerbell
27-03-2003, 14:49
Hi,

I too have flown several times with Virgin on this route, and would not choose any other carrier! They have always (with one exception!) been great with service, friendly to the max, and generous with the drinks!!! You'll love them too I'm sure!

athurstance
27-03-2003, 15:43
We always fly Virgin too. We have had one mediocre (not really bad) flight with them but otherwise very good. Excellent for the kids. They're not perfect of course but we're basically happy with them so no reason to change.

Angela
27-03-2003, 16:57
I would agree with all the above. It takes a lot to force us to fly with anyone else. I have a serious back problem and they are always very accommodating with my seat location. Also if you want more leg room the premium economy class upgrade can be quite reasonable. If you require a car as well, it may be worth considering their fly-drive price in the Virgin Holidays brochure as for us it works out cheaper than separate flights and car. On your third trip with Virgin, you get discount on the brochure prices.
It's also worthwhile enrolling in their frequent flyer program even if you only fly once a year as the miles soon mount up and you can spend them on flights or upgrades.
Check out the Virgin holidays, Travelstore or Atlantic web sites.

phil moloney
27-03-2003, 17:09
Its good for the kids, makes them realize they are off to Disney as soon as they get on the flight. Our bad part was our follow on flight to Dublin with Ryanair - the kids couldn't figure our where their TV screen had gone!

Matt
02-04-2003, 03:37
I won't travel to Orlando anymore unless its with Virgin. I think they are brilliant. However, I don't like flying economy (travel snob I guess!), and always fly Premium. Like Angela says above, the rates are reasonable if booking a fly-drive through Virgin Holidays. I think the supplement is something like £300-£350 return per person, but then you can't beat the space you get, and also you get to sit in the upper deck, its great.

Go for it, thats what I say.

Matt

Kissyme
03-04-2003, 15:38
Looking forward to flying with Virgin for the 4th time in October this year never ever had a problem. Last time we flew with them was just after 9\11 and they were superb I was pretty nervous and a great chap (cabin crew) saw me suffering and took at least 20 mins of his busy time to sit with me and re-assure me still felt scared but what a nice gesture

chris
03-04-2003, 15:49
We have found virgin to be the best in coping with travel sick children. They were so helpful and reassuring to the little ones.

imported_n/a
04-04-2003, 05:54
Last time we traveled with virgin to Orlando, we told the check in desk that we were flying out to get married........... (Bit of a porky there)

We were automatically upgraded to UPPER CLASS and bigged it up all the way over the atlantic.

A little white lie never goes a miss when there is caviar on the menu, instead of rock hard minted peas back in cattle class! lol

Good Luck

Debs
04-04-2003, 14:25
Why have we never thought of that one? In all the years we have been flying to the US we have never had an upgrade - NEVER despite asking over and over again. There is hope yet!!!

steph_goodrum
04-04-2003, 15:59
Debs
We got upgraded once on our ay back and my brother did thsi Christma ( he forgot to mention that he was travelling with us, not sure if it was deliberate - but as he'd paid £604 for his seat and we'd paid £360 thought that was fair enough. Like me though he didn't really feel it was worth paying for an upgrade, just us being mean I gues but for 3 of us at £350 each that is another off peak holiday flight each so we can put up with it for 8 hours.
We were told it's best not to ask, funnily enough the 1 time we got upgraded was when we asked at the desk if they were looking for any volunteers to stand down!

fiona
04-04-2003, 16:04
We got upgraded with AA. Wouldn't fly Virgin again unless they are the cheapest as last few we have been on were dreadful. Sloppy indifferent staff. Our first choice is AA, then BA - but we collect air miles so have 2 free flights this year - yippee!

Debs
04-04-2003, 19:27
Well done Fiona - isn't it great to get something for nothing!!

Steph I must remember that one!! - You wait i'll offer to stand down and they will say thanks very much and take me up on the offer with probably nowt in return!![V]

steph_goodrum
04-04-2003, 19:50
Debs
The reason we offer is that on our first trip to Orlando in 96 on our way home, the flight was overbooked and they asked if we'd volunteer to stand down, so what happened was we caught the next flight to Miami and picked up the flight to Gatwick from there, so instead of having a 3 hr wait at the airport we went straight onto the Miami flight (took about an hr), the Miami flight got into Gatwick an hour before the Orlando flight, so we got home an hour earlier and in return got vouchers for a free return flight on any of their scheduled network flights (or 40,000 miles but we hadn't joined the Freeway miles at the time). So we went back to Orlando the following year at Virgins expense. This year they're treating us to go to California!!

Debs
04-04-2003, 21:15
That is what I call absolutely jammy!!!! [8D][8D]:D:D

steph_goodrum
04-04-2003, 21:29
It's never happened since but we always ask just in case, on several occasions we've been told they were looking for volunteers in the preceding days and couldn't give them away.

Carla
04-04-2003, 21:45
We always offer to stand-down as well, and it has almost happened twice!!! United even gave us US$200 in vouchers, just because we offered and ended up being the last ones on the plane.

Most likely times for this to happen are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, plus any days close to a Public holiday.

Rushton50
09-04-2003, 22:48
We have flown VA twice now and once was to california and have to say it was worth that bit extra.

You see it is a schedualed airline and not chartered and there may be a good chance that it is not a full flight and that the seats you get may be more than 2 or 3 if , so extra sprwaling space to put yer head down.
The meals are slightly better and drinks are normally free throughout and so was the games console.

hope you find this useful

Biggus
10-04-2003, 12:51
I have never flown VA, but flew American Airlines to Orlando last week (via Miami on the way-out and Boston on the way-back) and they were excellent couldn't fault them in any way. The flights were booked in January and cost just £279 return each. I know it is a cliche re: their advert with more room in economy but it is genuinely true. I am 6'4" and had no issues with either of the two internal flights (had bulkhead seats for both transatlantic trips), in fact it broke the return trip up very nicely and the internal flight 'docked' at the gate next to the transatlantic flight so no probs with trogging across the airport plus only 90 mins between flights. Staff were excellent, seatback TV's for everyone with a good selection of films/TV/radio on both flights, food pretty good (for airline food) and frequent rounds of drinks, all-in-all 8.5/10 (hard to get much better in my eyes). Would not hesitate to use them as my first choice next time around.
Hope you find this of some benefit.

SunLover
11-04-2003, 18:00
I have to say, I am a committed Virgin - well Virgin traveller anyway !;)
I have always had excellent service, friendly staff etc, and can't tell you the number of times I have been upgraded, without even asking ! Maybe I have one of those faces ! If you can stretch the extra mile, Premium economy is great. You avoid all the crush, and the extra wide seats and great legroom mean you arrive at Orlando International raring to go. Also, if you do fly premium, you have a very good chance of being upgraded to first class, if the plane isn't too busy. Definately enroll in the Virgin Flying Club programme too. I've just reached "silver" membership level (how posh is that ? Hahaha !) and I'm looking forward to extra benefits and free flights etc over the coming months.

Also, you can take advantage of Twilight Check In at Gatwick airport. This means if you live locally to the airport, you can go the day prior to your flight (between 3pm and 9pm) , check your luggage in, answer all the security questions etc, and then the following day, you only need to arrive 50 minutes before your flight departs ! Excellent idea !

Downtown Disney Check In used to be available so you could check in for your departing flight first thing in the morning on your final day, but I think this is pretty hit and miss right now, because of added security. I know when I was there in Feb this year, it wasn't operating, but it's worth checking with your travel agent or V.A. direct though.

Chris [8D]

steph_goodrum
11-04-2003, 18:43
We were told on our flight over in December that D Disney had been reinstated but when we got there in the morning we found it has not been open since 9/11.

SunLover
13-04-2003, 08:46
It was closed when I was there in Feb, but I am going again in 2 weeks time, so I will report back on the state of play upon my return.

Chris [8D]

honeybee
14-04-2003, 14:02
We have just got back from Las Vegas with Virgin and were not impressed, the childrens meals, bags, service has gone down, compared with BA.

First the air hostess split a whole glass of orange juice over my lap, then asked what should she do. So I sat on a damp seat for 10 hours!

On the outward bound flight the childrens meals we had pre-booked had not appeared.

When asked they gave my 4 year old one but not my 8 year old. Her meal consisted of a cheesey mash potatoes, mixed veg and sausages, no roll, no cheese and biscuits, just water, and a shredded carrot, beetroot aand lettuce salad, and a cinniman type dessert.

On the way back the same thing happened, there was fish left in the adult section which my 8 year old does not likes so had nothing to eat. My four year old was given pizza and rosti type potato, again just water when asked if there was lemonade they said just wine on their trolley. I asked for a roll for her, and did they get a chocolate the same as the adult tray to be told, no they have a fruit cookie, again with a peppercorn and parmesan type dressing for salad, and again a adult dessert that was awful.

The breakfast, well no one ate it, it was a bread soaked in egg then scrambled egg in the middle. There were plenty of them left around.

The bag that use to be full of goodies, now they give a crayon, hat and book and that is it.

When we travelled with BA at xmas the kids meals were great, juice, snack bar, fruit, chicken nuggets, beans, yogurt etc.

We will definately look at BA next time as even the seats were better with foot rest etc.

One thing I can say which was excellant was security it took 2 hours to check in due to security, they opened every single bit of luggage with everyone then xrayed the baggage.

honeybee

athurstance
14-04-2003, 16:36
We flew over on 7th April to Orlando with Virgin and I was very impressed. We had noticed the service levels had gone down lately but had excellent service on our Virgin flights at Xmas but wondered if that was because it was to Boston rather than Orlando. Our flight over to Orlando though was great. In my opinion they were very much back to the Virgin standard we used to get.
Of course it depends a lot on the cabin crew. Our stewardess was really excellent and so was the steward who was helping her. She couldn't have been more helpful. We had a lot of turbulence and my youngest son was quite scared and she kept coming back to check on him every time there was a little bump during the flight.
I'm not generally a big fan of airline food but we had a really good meal. One thing I've never had a problem with is the kids meals - I order them in advance by telephoning Virgin directly myself as I've found travel agents often don't bother to pass requests on. In my case its more important that we get the Veggie meal for DH because obviously he can't eat the other choices but we've always got all 3 meal requests.
My only moan would be the seat reservation system. They have got very awkward about it - so much so that I don't think I'll bother anymore. We sat in a 4 row in the middle this time - which obviously there are no shortage of - and it was very comfortable.

honeybee
14-04-2003, 16:51
Angela,

The flights were full to Las Vegas, loads of childrens on the flight. I heard lots of grumbles. The aircraft was also quite old, new on the way out but old on the way back.

I do know people at virgin personnally and will be speaking to them as they always say if there is a problem with a flight let them know.

I think you will now find that they have cut back on all flights so all seats are taken.

We have one more flight before we get our free flights, then we will go BA as they do the same scheme. The prices of the flights are just the same as well. Travel agents don't like selling them as they do not get such a big commission, I have been told that.

But BA always seem to have some sort of deal on.

honeybee

Matt
14-04-2003, 22:18
Honeybee,

With the BA flights, unlike Virgin, any discounted flight tickets are not legible for Executive Club points. This was one of the reasons I stopped flying BA anywhere.

Virgin are the only airline I know that give the same amount of miles on any fare class ticket. Also, I fly around europe a lot with work and we usually get the great BMI fares (IE Dublin 7.00 return, Paris 5.00 return), and on these flights you still get Virgin miles!!

BA staff to me always seem to 'sure' of themselves!!

Thats my opinion anyway:)

Matt

monkeys
15-04-2003, 23:58
im quite pleased that ive booked virgin, there are a few grumbles but i suppose thats to be expected as your gonna get different crews on different flights

but after flying to the dominican republic with my travel [xx(] the only way is up[8D]i

dannib
16-04-2003, 00:50
whilst you are on the subject of Virgin here, does anyone know an email address or phone number where I can find out if our flight will have inflight entertainment.
I have read on a few posts on here that some flights people have been on haven't had any inflight entertainment, and would like to go prepared if there isn't any.

Thanks

Debs
16-04-2003, 02:41
With Virgin there is always inflight entertainment - usually the small TV screens on the back of the seat in front. These are great because there are special dedicated channels so everyone can choose what they watch - there is also a kids channel and if you are in the newer planes you sometimes get games too!!! Also the kids get a backpack with bits and pieces so these keep them occupied - the back packs are given out as you board. Unlike BA who dish them out on board and never seem to have quite enought to go round [}:)][}:)] - try explaining to your 7 year old why they haven't got one but the child in front has!!! :(:( The children are also given snack boxes on entering and kids meals (if you have ordered prior to departure) and also everyone gets an ice cream between lunch and tea going out. Actually it is a constant round of eating and drinking really - no wonder I always feel stuffed when I get off! [^][^]

steph_goodrum
16-04-2003, 10:47
"Virgin are the only airline I know that give the same amount of miles on any fare class ticket."

Matt there are some classes they don't give them on , I know "N" is one of them , we always ask when we book our tickets and have always had "Q" class which is obviously ok so as long as that's what it is we know we'll get our miles.

Monkeys, I'm not sure when you are travelling but don't forget to preorder you seats to try and get seats together or any particular seats rather than wait till you check in. You can book them 180 from date of departure, if you book the outbound flight on the 180th day you'll have to make a sepaerate call for the return flight but if it is less then 180 days till you come back you can do them at the same time.

Matt
16-04-2003, 20:20
Dannib,

You can check what movies and other programmes will be shown on your flight by checking the Virgin website www.virgin-atlantic.com

I think there is a heading of entertainment, but can't check that at the moment as their web site is down. You will need to check what will be on during the month that you are actually travelling.

Hope that helps

Matt

maggie
24-04-2003, 16:28
We have mostly travelled with Virgin. We have just come back from Orland on a Virgin flight. The leg room was quite good. The entertainment wasn't anyting to shout about. We were stranded with them 11/9 and we weren't too happy with them then and said we would not fly with them again. We had the grandchildren with us this time and thought maybe we would give them another go. We paid over £700 each (one was 12yrs old classed as a adult). I know it was Easter but I think it will be BA next time. Only travelled with them a couple of times with one upgrade, so I think we will use them in future. Its a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Maggie

dannib
25-04-2003, 00:48
i think it is down to personal experience really.

I flew with Virgin to Los Angeles a couple of years ago and couldn't fault anything, the cabin crew were all very friendly and helpful, my sister was sick throughout nearly the whole flight and they dealt with it excellently! I was very impressed with all aspects of the flight and service, which is why we booked with them to fly to orlando next month (!!):D:D:D

But would probably feel different if it wasn't up to scratch before, so I do think it depends.

paddyc
30-04-2003, 14:36
I am due to fly with Virgin ..but from Manchester to Orlando. I believe that this route is a full service Virgin flight but is operated by "Air Atlanta". Has anyone else used this route? and if so what was the service like?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-04-2003, 14:54
paddyc:

We flew MAN-MCO last September and thought the service was awful - the cabin crew were very moody and could be heard on several occasions talking about some other passengers who they had taken a dislike to - very unprofessional. Also the seatback videos were very hit and miss - mine worked for a while then stopped working.

Yet another case of the north of England losing out to the South - it makes me mad :(

trevorsem
30-04-2003, 14:54
quote:Originally posted by monkeys

hello again, thanks for replies to previous posts

just wondered had anyone travelled from gatwick to florida with virgin?
what kind of service and flight can i expect, are the flights stupidly cramped etc

thanks

Hi,

After flying with Monarch and Thomson prior, I decided to go with Virgin. That was back in 1994 and have not looked back since.

The service, although economy is " first class " with the entertainment, meals and service.

Don't forget also that only Virgin and BA fly into MCO, where as other carriers have to go to Sanford.

In summary, would NEVER consider travelling with any other operator.

:D

Trev

P.S. If you also are staying with Virgin Holidays, you get discount off attraction tickets from the Rep in resort. As much as 10% off if you a member of their Frequent Virgin club.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-04-2003, 15:13
Why do some people only travel with Virgin? I've seen lots of posts on here with the same theme and are very curious.

Granted, Virgin do a direct flight from LGW and MAN, but they are usually way more expensive than any of the alternatives and even more so when you look at indirect flights e.g. US Airways via Philadelphia.

Can someone please enlighten me - is it just the good service or something else?

Kissyme
30-04-2003, 16:10
We always fly with Virgin and from my point of view Iam a very nervous passanger (asked the steward to TELL the captain to fly a different way to avoid terbulance)They always make me feel as safe as I can feel, and also I was watching a programme called Black box ( talk about torture yourself) and thay said that Virgin + BA monitor the most parts of the plane, above the required by law. Flew to Menorca once with another company and they changed our carrier to Islandic Airways I had to be sillenced with whiskey all the way home. So Its just that I have confidence in them

Biggus
30-04-2003, 16:11
John,
I can completely understand where you are coming from. When we visited in March/April we looked into various flight prices. Virgin/BA were obscenely expensive in comparison to the American Airlines flight that we ended up taking - and with at least 5" extra legroom in economy than both the above. We flew via Miami on the way out and Boston on the way back, all 4 flights were excelent, with the two trans-atlantic flights we asked for the bulkhead seats when we checked in and got them both ways with the advantage of checking in the onward flights from our gateway cities (MIA-MCO and BOS-LHR) at LHR (outward) and then MCO (return). The movies/food etc. were great, the service from the staff excellent and the seat width/legroom (even for me - 6'4") was fantastic!! I would not hesitate to use them again, especially considering the various comments that have been listed here re: Virgin/BA etc. Why pay more for less??
Oh yes forgot to add - before you all go on about indirect flights I found that I was less tired after travelling than last time as I got to get off the plane and walk around at the gateway airports, it broke the journey up very nicely!!

steph_goodrum
30-04-2003, 16:12
John
We've never had a bad flight yet with Virgin and have flown with them 9 times. For the price difference at the times we've gone we've never found indirect prices that were more than £20 or so pounds cheaper so it doesn't seem worth the hassle. We like to book well in advance at the moment as we have to go school holidays but after next summer when we can be a lot more flexible we can afford to leave it till the last minute and take what is available. By sticking to the them as well the miles add up and after 5 trips the 6th is free, although you can collect the miles with Delta as well now so we may look at them for future flights but would probably stop over for a couple of nights en route to see different places. We frequently have 2 or 3 sets of flights booked (at the moment it's summer holiday and october half term as we book them more or less as they are available.
Mick went with BA last Feb with the Mail special offer of £149 and said they were pretty much the same service, so if we can get prices like that then the "loyalty" becomes a secondary factor.

Kissyme
30-04-2003, 18:06
I dont think I could do more than one takeoff and landing per trip I have to do these with fingers in ears eyes shut and head between knees, dont I sound sad my so its definatly the direct route for me

steph_goodrum
30-04-2003, 18:12
My husband is the only one of us who likes the take offs and landings, we'd rather just do the one (of each) per trip , if we can.

caroline
30-04-2003, 18:50
Steph
Who do you book your virgin flights through? It's just that I thought it cost a lot more to upgrade to premium economy than you quoted and if we can get direct flights with virgin in premium we may well switch from United!
I don't mind flying at all, actually I like it[:0]especially on small planes[:0] - but I'd rather fly direct non stop, and get to the sunshine faster:D

fiona
30-04-2003, 18:51
Well we prefer BA to Virgin, but only because of indifferent service, food, rude cabin staff etc from Virgin.

However, when push comes to shove for us to be able to travel to Florida at least twice a year we cannot afford to pay £600 per person for 4 of us to fly there. So we go with whoever is the cheapest, we just often find BA is if we book at the right time!

Have to say that AA were brilliant on our last trip, and the drive up from Miami is much better than the disasters we have had on the hop-over trips we have tried in the past.

Biggus
30-04-2003, 19:22
Fiona,
Our 'hop' to Orlando from Miami was no problem apart from the plane being out of the ark and Miami Airport being horrible - apart from that I would do the 'broken up' flight with AA again without question, thought they were excellent. Driving from Miami is a thought though, might give that a go next time.

steph_goodrum
30-04-2003, 20:24
Caroline
Charter Travel generally, or Virgin holidays sometimes depending on price at the time , the Virgin holidays brochure price is £175 each way (£350 for return trip) I have seen it for £150 each way but I'll have to try and find which brochure it was in. We don't pay for an upgrade as for the extra cost in upgrade price we figured thats the cost of an off peak seat or half of the peak season one so we'd rather have another holiday - being the cheapskates that we are.

caroline
30-04-2003, 20:46
Thanks Steph:) I'll check it out for Easter next year - we've already booked our flights for October:D[8D]:D

fiona
30-04-2003, 20:55
Biggus, with our girls being full price, it usually adds another £200 to the flight bill to hop up from Miami, although sometimes it doesn't! So far when we've been looking to go it does, so it's cheaper to drive up! Last time we wanted to spend a couple of nights in Miami to see what it was like so did it that way!

Biggus
30-04-2003, 21:08
Fiona,
Our 'hop' was part of an indirect flight LHR-MCO (Miami happened to be our gateway city) and cost us no more than the Miami flight would have. The thought of seeing a little of Miami and driving up though does sound kind of appealing, something different from what we would usually do. Still thought Miami airport was pants, really not that user friendly - we only just made the gate in time for the 'hop'.