PDA

View Full Version : Management Co. Question

villiageidiot
23-05-2005, 05:52
Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for some time. I just returned from my Florida Vacation. I had a problem with the management company and needed to ask a question.

Last Saturday, we arrived at our villa. We dealt directly with the owners who live in the UK. The key for the villa was in the lockbox. Upon opening the door to the villa, the key broke off in the door. Luckily, I got the door open. I got the broken piece of key out of the door, all we needed was another key. I could not get a hold of anyone at the management company till Monday. Is it common for management companies to be closed on the weekend? It seems that in a business when most of your customers are checking into the homes you manage on Saturday, you should be available to help people on Saturday. My problem is, if I did not get the door open, we would have had to go a hotel till Monday. The first two days of our vacation were ruined because we could not leave the villa because we could not lock the door.

On Monday, I finally got a hold of the girl at the MC. She said she had a spare key and would bring it by. She arrived with the wrong key. I told her we had plans to go to Daytona that day and were not going to be inconvenienced again. We left the through the garage and she said she would get a new key and it would be in the lockbox at the end of the day. We got back that night and found that she had called a locksmith to the house to 'inspect' the lock and make sure it is not damaged. The locksmith said the key broke due to excessive force which is not true. I barely even got the deadbolt open before the key snapped. She charged us $85 for the service call!!! Is this a common practice for a management company? Seems to me that if she had a spare key, she could merely try the lock herself to make sure it is not damaged. It was not damaged. All she did was tick a family off!!!

Carla
23-05-2005, 06:25
Hi

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate start to your vacation, but as you say at least you did manage to get into the property.

No, it is not usual at all for an MC to keep a guest waiting like this in an emergency situation. One of the conditions that owners have to fulfill for their license is to have 24/7 emergency call out. Not being able to lock the property on leaving is definitely an emergency, as far as I am concerned, and the problem should therefore have been handled immediately. I know that had similar circumstances happened with any of my guests then my MC would have been round straight away to solve the problem, regardless of the fact that it was a weekend.

Did you call the owners in the UK and let them know that you were having problems with both the key and the response from the MC? I appreciate that this doesn't help you now, but if any guests get a tardy response from the MC in your situation, or in any other real emergency, then it is always a good thing to let the owner know as soon as you possibly can, so that the owner can assist, and move things forward from their end, for you.

Things do go wrong with facilities on occasions, and generally at inopportune moments too, but we all want our guests to be happy and for any problems to be resolved as quickly as is possible.

villiageidiot
23-05-2005, 06:54
Hi Carla, thanks for replying. I had my laptop with me and I emailed the owners in the uk. I was hoping they might have a home or cell phone number for someone who could help me. The owner called me on the villa phone to apologize. The owners have been great. I just wanted to know if it is normal for the MC to be unreachable on the weekend. I am going to send the owners a message and tell them about our experience and the condition of their home. The home was beautiful, but let's just say it could have been cleaned better. They are nice people. Hopefully, they will find a new caretaker for their home.

Carla
23-05-2005, 08:07
It is definitely not normal for the MC to be unreachable at weekends. They should always be available for genuine emergencies such as yours.

I am sure that your owner will appreciate all feedback, positive and negative, that you can give him/her about your experience at the villa.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by villiageidiot
I just wanted to know if it is normal for the MC to be unreachable on the weekend. I am going to send the owners a message and tell them about our experience and the condition of their home. The home was beautiful, but let's just say it could have been cleaned better. They are nice people. Hopefully, they will find a new caretaker for their home.
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
23-05-2005, 11:39
this is terrible!
we have never had any problems with opening the doors when we have stayed in villas, but we have had trouble actually getting the key out of the lockbox! very frustrating, i like the idea of it tho,

sorry for your troubles tho Rob and i hope it doesnt put you off villa renting again!
(am sure it wont[msnwink])

stabard
23-05-2005, 15:05
We have a number for our MC which can be called 24/7 in the event of an emergancy like yours. I would be very upset if they kept my guests waiting like that. The only time we have had to call the locksmith out was when WE locked ourselves out [msnembarrased] Owners - who'd ave em!

Lynnes
23-05-2005, 15:53
Our MC would have gone straight to the villa, no matter what time or day it was. She rings the guests on the day they arrive or the next day if they get in late, just to check everything is OK. We also ring them in the first couple of days.
We would also have had a bill for the locksmith not the guest.

blott
23-05-2005, 16:12
I think we've had about four new locks on our Florida home (although it could be five) and we've always paid to get the lock changed when guests have got keys stuck in it. We've also got a MC that wouldn't leave guests trapped in our home for 48 hours of their holiday because they were unable to lock up properly! And no, it's definitely not normal to make guests wait that length of time for a spare key - that would be dealt with immediately!

I think you need to report back to your home owner the good and the bad about their home so that they can take any issues up with their management company that need to be addressed. If the owners are nice people, as you said, I'm sure they'll appreciate your taking the time to do this for them so that they can make sure that what happened to you doesn't happen to any more of their guests. I'm sure that, like all home owners, they want their guests to have a great experience in their home.

The test is not what went wrong (sometimes even in the best maintained of homes, things do), but how quickly and efficiently it was fixed that counts.

bellaepovera
23-05-2005, 17:29
You are very right in complaining the MC was not there for you all weekend. They should be on call 24/7. I think you being charged the $85 service call was un-called for and I am sure the owners will agree and refund your money.

chrizzy100
23-05-2005, 18:53
You have very strong guests there Blott......[msnsmile2]

blott
23-05-2005, 19:17
No, they just don't understand how American locks work - they now get instructions in words of one syllable on how to open them!

villiageidiot
24-05-2005, 07:03
All is good. I sent a message to the management company and the owners voicing my displeasure with the situation. I talked to the owners and they are going to refund me the cost of the locksmith. Like I said, they are good people. They deserve better treatment and their house deserves better treatment! Thanks to all for the help. I guess I had every reason to gripe about my treatment.

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 11:44
am pleased you got a refund on your locksmith charges, and just remember if the owners are not told (in a nice way no matter how cross you are) they may not know about a problem, you have stated they are very nice people which am sure most villa owners are, but there is always someone around to spoil things tho, but hopefully that MC wont behave in that manner again!!
now its brought to the owners attention am sure they will keep an eye to the maintiance of the villa!

Florida3883
24-05-2005, 12:19
So many things to learn from this forum. I've been reading these threads for several months and hopefully these will help me when I close on my villa in the summer?

AngelaB
24-05-2005, 20:52
I too have had gained loads of knowledge regarding orlando and renting a villa of this site. It truly is amazing....A BIG THANKS EVERYONE[clap][grouphug]

kitemark
02-06-2005, 20:49
I also had a problem with my Villa's lock. It was difficult to lock the door every time we went out. We have also subsequently found out the external doors should have a double locking system installed. I believe this villa did not. Can anyone explain what a double locking system is so I can be sure.

I reported this and several other issues to the MC but they failed to get any resolved. I booked through a tour operator so was not given any details of the villa owner but have now been able to track down their details.

I had such a bad experience with booking my holiday and issues during that followed I am thinking twice about going again.

rosie
02-06-2005, 21:42
Hi Kitemark

please don't let a bad experience with a tour operator put you off going to a fantastic holiday destination like Orlando.

If you book with an owner on one of the sites listed at the top, then you will be in direct contact with the genuine owner of the home. There is no fear of arriving at the airport and not knowing where you will be staying.

Every owner on these sites takes great pleasure and pride in their homes and will be more than happy to help you arrange not just your accomodation, they can also help with every aspect from flights to car hire, park tickets, even tips on great restaurants and places to visit [msnsmile]

It's such a shame your previous trip was marred by difficulties with a tour operator booking and then an unhelpful MC, believe me, they aren't all like that.

Don't give up your dreams of returning to Orlando, these forums are a great way to learn lots of tips [msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
02-06-2005, 21:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitemark
I also had a problem with my Villa's lock. It was difficult to lock the door every time we went out. We have also subsequently found out the external doors should have a double locking system installed. I believe this villa did not. Can anyone explain what a double locking system is so I can be sure.

I reported this and several other issues to the MC but they failed to get any resolved. I booked through a tour operator so was not given any details of the villa owner but have now been able to track down their details.

I had such a bad experience with booking my holiday and issues during that followed I am thinking twice about going again.
[/quote]

Hi Kitemark, as Rosie has already said don't let this experience put you off, renting directly from an owner is a much better option. We rented a villa on the Gulf Coast, prior to buying our own in Orlando, through a major tour operator. We had a number of issues which were never resolved, the Management Company did not seem to be bothered. [msnsmile2]

villiageidiot
05-06-2005, 05:17
If you deal with a tour operator or a travel agent, you are just another renter in another house. If you deal directly with the owners, you get more personalized service. In my case, even though the owners were overseas, I was able to ask them questions about the house and the area. I was able to get results when I had a problem. By telling them about my experience they knew their house was not being cared for properly and the people who are paying them were not being cared for properly.

To update my situation, the owners have fired the MC and hired a new company to care for their house. It turned out they have had a few problems in the past and my experience was the last straw. It was funny, I told them about a bag of light bulbs left in the kitchen for the maintenance man to replace. The owners told me they left those bulbs there the last time they were at the house, well over a year ago. So for over a year, those people could not replace some light bulbs. I am glad I was able to let them know about the neglect and they were able to take action. If I had no contact with the owners, who would I have complained too? I just wish I could warn more people about that management company.

05-06-2005, 23:07
If you deal with a tour operator or a travel agent, you are just another renter in another house. If you deal directly with the owners, you get more personalized service. In my case, even though the owners were overseas, I was able to ask them questions about the house and the area. I was able to get results when I had a problem. By telling them about my experience they knew their house was not being cared for properly and the people who are paying them were not being cared for properly.

To update my situation, the owners have fired the MC and hired a new company to care for their house. It turned out they have had a few problems in the past and my experience was the last straw. It was funny, I told them about a bag of light bulbs left in the kitchen for the maintenance man to replace. The owners told me they left those bulbs there the last time they were at the house, well over a year ago. So for over a year, those people could not replace some light bulbs. I am glad I was able to let them know about the neglect and they were able to take action. If I had no contact with the owners, who would I have complained too? I just wish I could warn more people about that management company.
[/quote]

Hope you don't mind me asking but which community was the villa on? The reason I ask is I had a similar experience about 6 years ago in a villa on Ridgewood Lakes, the MC were terrible, they provided a cot and highchair for us that must have been 30 years old, the highchair only had one strap to strap the baby in, they were always just walking in when we were at the villa and the villa was not as clean as it should have been too!!! Oh and the pool went green!!![msnmad]

villiageidiot
06-06-2005, 07:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Hope you don't mind me asking but which community was the villa on? The reason I ask is I had a similar experience about 6 years ago in a villa on Ridgewood Lakes, the MC were terrible, they provided a cot and highchair for us that must have been 30 years old, the highchair only had one strap to strap the baby in, they were always just walking in when we were at the villa and the villa was not as clean as it should have been too!!! Oh and the pool went green!!![msnmad]
[/quote]

The house was in Ashley Manor.

ctgirlscout
06-06-2005, 15:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitemark

[/quote]

I believe they mean you need a deadbolt in addition to the doorknob lock. We have had two locks on our front door, but have just been recently told we had to add a second lock to our patio doors leading out to the pool, which we did in April.

blott
06-06-2005, 15:59

[/quote]

The house was in Ashley Manor.[/quote]Just a note to point out, on behalf of all Ashley Manor and Ridgewood Lakes owners, that this doesn't mean that any other homes in Ashley Manor or Ridgewood Lakes have the same management company.

06-06-2005, 18:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

[/quote]

The house was in Ashley Manor.[/quote]Just a note to point out, on behalf of all Ashley Manor and Ridgewood Lakes owners, that this doesn't mean that any other homes in Ashley Manor or Ridgewood Lakes have the same management company.
[/quote]

Also my villa was not booked through any of the sites above as it was years ago.

The villas I have been to on this site have all been wonderful!!!![clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]