PDA

View Full Version : alllowd to lock luggage

Beanie
25-03-2003, 22:17
Going to Orlando with easter.
Was wondering if it's allowd to lock your luggage on the
airplane , or is it better not to do it ?

Thanks for your help in advance.:D

Comming al the way from Norway so am not sure what to do because of
the war.

blott
25-03-2003, 22:37
Hi Beanie

Welcome to the forum. As far as I am aware, there are no restrictions on locking your luggage going to the US, it's only on the return journey home from the US.

Florida's a very long way from the war so I'm going in April to visit our home and all of our guests are still travelling. There's really no problem and there is increased security which is for everyone's benefit anyway but may cause a few delays.

Enjoy your holiday in Florida.

steph_goodrum
25-03-2003, 22:49
We always use elecrical cable ties to close our luggage and have done for the last 6 years, we used them both ways at christmas with no problen, that way if they want to open the case it is easy for them to do so.

janny
26-03-2003, 19:24
We travelled in January and they were searching luggage both ways and in Detroit they used two foot long bolt cutters on locked cases.They do leave you a flyer to tell you they have opened them though!

athurstance
26-03-2003, 19:41
We were told not to lock our cases at Xmas when we went to Boston with Virgin. We never lock ours anyway so doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people do.

orlandobabe
26-03-2003, 23:50
We've never locked our cases either. Just don't put in anything you would be gutted about losing!

orlandobabe
26-03-2003, 23:51
By the Way Beanie-welcome to you in Norway. We must have a count up sometime and see how many countries are represented here.

Beanie
27-03-2003, 01:12
Thank you for your response messages.
Tommorow just 2 weeks before i travel to Orlando.
Can't wait ( Only disliking the long fly journey ):)

Biggus
08-04-2003, 13:11
Beanie,
Have just come back from Florida and we did not lock our cases/bags on the way back, just sealed them with cable ties (good tip from someone here on OV.com). In the event we were allowed by the TSA staff next to the AA check in @ Orlando airport to pass our keys over etc. once they had done the scanning/checking so that they could be locked, we weren't allowed to touch the bags but they were happy enough to oblige when we asked nicely - did see a rude South African get told no after he demanded to lock his suitcase - the good manners my mum brought me up with do serve the odd purpose.......
Had a wicked time - will post my full trip report later (boss is on the prowl!!)