PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest

florida4sun
25-03-2003, 05:36
Just caught the tail end of it on local radio. AK will be getting anew Coaster sim ilar to the matterhorn at Disneyland.
It will based on a himalayan theme. Sorry thats all I got.

esprit
25-03-2003, 12:51
WOW, they are actually doing that, are they? This has been one of the top rumours on Theme Park insider for months now. It will be called Forbidden Mountain and it is thought the yeti will feature. See http://www.themeparkinsider.com/parks/detail.cfm?Attraction=2024

The thing with the rumours on there is that you never know which are going to pan out and which are pie in the sky. They have been going on about Beastly Kingdom for ages. Forbidden Mountain was the cheaper option and probably means that Beastly Kingdom will not be built or at least will be postponed. Good that AK is getting a new attraction though.

athurstance
25-03-2003, 16:23
Just found this while browsing:

Disney CEO Michael Eisner Unofficially Announces New Animal Kingdom Attraction
"We have on the boards,” Michael Eisner said at the annual shareholders meeting, “an approved (I don't know whether or not we've announced it so I'm always in difficult territory here) but an attraction called something Climbing Everest or . . . Mount Everest is in the title. It is the biggest and the best and the most amazing ride through the Himalayas ... consistent with the topography and the spirit of the Animal Kingdom." According to Mr. Eisner and several cast members, the ride is under construction as we speak. Our sources tell us that they are starting to widen the entrance to Asia to allow better traffic flow through the area and that there will be a new bridge as well, but that work won't start for several months.

Update: Our sources tell us, "(The ride) starts outdoors where people have all been frightened away by the yeti from the mountain. The trains will be similar to Disney's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction. Trains enter the mountain, and travelers are harassed by the yeti. At one point the trains will run backwards. They are looking to open the ride in the summer of 2005."

dbrook
25-03-2003, 16:46
Summer 2005 - we've got a long wait:(:(

esprit
25-03-2003, 17:54
Well if it is to be like the Matterhorn at Disneyland, that is actually two man bobsleds rather than a train type ride like Big Thunder Railroad, though the yeti do feature on the Matterhorn too ( though isn't that supposed to be in Switzerland not Tibet!!) Will it really take over two years to build??? It only took three years to build all of IOA!!!

esprit
23-04-2003, 19:57
More detail was revealed this afternoon by the president of Walt Disney World. It will be called Expedition Everest and will not open until 2006 so dont hold your breath. Scanario as follows
"The storyline of the 200-foot high Expedition Everest has riders boarding a fake mountain railway destined for the foot of Mount Everest. The out of control train rolls forward through thick bamboo forests and waterfalls until the track ends in a mass of twisted metal near the summit. Plunging backwards the train then shoots through mountain caverns and canyons until the riders meet an abominable snowman. This thrilling roller coaster is intended to compete head on with the likes of popular coasters such as Kraken at Seaworld."

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 06:48
Work appears to be well underway on this - we were at AK this afternoon and there is now a boarded off area on the right as you enter Asia and as you go over the bridge just outside Asia you can clearly see the building work in progress. Can't wait to ride it :D

trevlad
28-05-2004, 06:20
the new ride looks fantastic.
it is scheduled for spring 2006. the new bridge is open linking back of asia water ride with a walkway over to kids dino land. the mountain looks awesome lots of unfinished rails hanging in mid air and plenty of ground works going on as well. as mentioned it is planned to be the biggest and best ride around with big drops and parts where you will travel backwards.awesome!

that should keep grandma quiet!!![8D][8D][8D]

trev

SunLover
28-05-2004, 19:09
We took this pic on our recent visit. Seems to be coming along well.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/SunLover/200452815842_MattahornRide.jpg

steph_goodrum
28-05-2004, 19:46
I hope it's a bit more smooth than the Matterhorn though, Every time we went over a join in the track it really jarred our backs.

CarolAnn
18-08-2004, 00:14
Not familiar with the Matterhorn? Will it be on a par with the runaway train? I always have to have soooo much detail before getting on a ride, such a woss[msneek][msnscared]My heart wants to go on everything, but my head says " Have a word with yourself!!"[msnoo]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-08-2004, 00:17
It's at Disneyland in LA. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
Not familiar with the Matterhorn? Will it be on a par with the runaway train? I always have to have soooo much detail before getting on a ride, such a woss[msneek][msnscared]My heart wants to go on everything, but my head says " Have a word with yourself!!"[msnoo]
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-02-2005, 10:51
Here's some new info on this new ride I just found:

http://www.rcdb.com/id2389.htm

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-02-2005, 10:53
We went on Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland in Los Angeles on Friday last week and it was great. Very similar to what I would imaine the new AK ride to be - they even have the Yeti roaring out at you at one point which I have heard is a feature of the new AK ride.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
It's at Disneyland in LA. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]
[/quote]

Solana
17-03-2005, 20:07
the new rollercoaster is really big now since we went in christmas cant wait to go on it!!!!:D

CarolAnn
17-03-2005, 20:29
2006, for opening? Oh dear, I told our daughter I thought it would be open for one of our Disney trips this year[msnsad]Never mind, we will have to wait a bit longer, mind you, I am not sure I will be brave enough to go on it [msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-06-2005, 23:03
Here are the latest pictures of the ride taken 2 days ago:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/floridadreamvilla.co.uk/200561219220_0.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/floridadreamvilla.co.uk/200561219234_1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/floridadreamvilla.co.uk/200561219246_2.jpg

rosie
13-06-2005, 00:35
Wow, it's really coming on now, looking forward to trying this when it opens [msnsmile2]

esprit
13-06-2005, 04:29
I can believe how long they are taking to build this. First post was March 2003 and then we thought it would be open Summer 2005 and that seemed a long time, now it is Spring 2006 which means three whole years in the build. When they started to build 1slands of Adventure, they gave a date three years off and stuck to it. How can it take as long to build just this one ride??

trevlad
13-06-2005, 04:57
yes i thought that about my villa julie!!
i cant see johns photy for some reason here but its starting to get its meat on its bones.we were there yest and there was a tbig pile of 'stuff' on the ground and looks like they were mixing it up and spraying it onto parts of the structure. does anyone know what it is. sort of concrete sort of fibre glass, but it gives that disney-universal texture that can create rocks or tree bows, whatever they want really

also the peripheral buildings, i suppose food and gift shops are starting to poke their heads above the hoardings -

quite exciting really[msnsmile2]

trevlad
13-06-2005, 05:00
ah photos downloaded now- good old disney quest. nice ones john. is that first one from the middle bridge somewhere or side of asia. good camera lens

alanandjude
05-08-2005, 01:34
Can't wait to see this in the flesh. Looks really exciting. Is it nearly ready yeti? (sorry)[^]

millie
08-08-2005, 00:24
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/millie/200562919433_everest.jpg

Look like this ride is fairly coming on - looks good!:)