PDA

View Full Version : For all who use BMI via Washington

20-05-2005, 22:20
The Manchester - Washington flight is now a damp leased 757 from Icelandair!!!

The additional long haul aircraft, a *damp leased Boeing 757 from Icelandair, will be based at Manchester and will operate the successful route to Washington, DC. This will enable one of bmi's Manchester Airbus A330 aircraft to be based at London Heathrow to commence the new routes to Mumbai and Riyadh.

The aircraft will operate in a two-class configuration of business (10) and economy (167).
*Damp lease is an aircraft provided with flight crew. Bmi will be providing its own cabin staff to operate the services to ensure service continuity.

Operating the Washington route to/from Manchester until October this year when BMI are rumoured to be receiving a fourth A332. On lease from Icelandair.

Bad move in my view!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MAch 2/200552018440_bmi.jpg

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-05-2005, 23:13
I saw a picture of the first one arriving at Manchester from Dulles the other day and thought much the same. I would not fancy that kind of flight in a narrowbody as I like to stretch my legs every once in a while.

Andy and Wendy
20-05-2005, 23:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Bad move in my view!!

[/quote]

Totally agree - that's a real shame[msnsad]

Snapper
21-05-2005, 00:20
Crikey. Eveyone's going 757's at the moment. First Continental and now BMI.

21-05-2005, 00:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
[/quote]

I know Steve its madness - I worked on the 757 for years on the UK and European routes then for a year we did the occasional Manchester - New York on the 757 and it was always very unpopular with passengers and crew very problematic[msnscared]

tezz7628
21-05-2005, 00:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
The Manchester - Washington flight is now a <span style="color:red">wet leased</span id="red"> 757 from Icelandair!!!

The additional long haul aircraft, a <span style="color:red">damp leased</span id="red"> Boeing 757 from Icelandair

<span style="color:red">Damp lease</span id="red"> is an aircraft provided with flight deck. [/quote]

<span style="color:red">wet leased</span id="red">....???? :)

21-05-2005, 01:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
The Manchester - Washington flight is now a <span style="color:red">wet leased</span id="red"> 757 from Icelandair!!!

The additional long haul aircraft, a <span style="color:red">damp leased</span id="red"> Boeing 757 from Icelandair

<span style="color:red">Damp lease</span id="red"> is an aircraft provided with flight deck. [/quote]

<span style="color:red">wet leased</span id="red">....???? :)
[/quote]

'Wet Lease' means a lease of an aircraft including its crew both cabin and flight crew.

'Damp Lease" means a lease of an aircraft including just flight crew.. The LESSEE will provide the cabin crew. This can only be done if the cabin crew receives SEP (Safety and Emergency Procedures) training by the LESSOR, in order to be acquainted with the differences of the airplane. This term is not often referred too.

'Dry Lease' is the lease of the aircraft only, without crew.

21-05-2005, 01:04
Sorry tezz my original post should have read damp leased!

Robert5988
21-05-2005, 01:16
American Airlines have a 757 daily summer service from Manchester to Boston. It is a coach only service.

I know Lucy doesn't like them from her Aircrew perspective, but I like the short transatlantic hop and my next 3 trips will be on that service; from choice - I could go Manchester to Chicago on a 767.

I think we both agree it is better than Travel City Direct though.

tezz7628
21-05-2005, 01:17
ok thanks :)

Katys Grandad
21-05-2005, 01:58
I'm on the BOS-MAN service tomorrow so I'll reserve judgement but a short crossing has a lot of appeal over a 8-9 hour Florida flight.

21-05-2005, 02:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
I'm on the BOS-MAN service tomorrow so I'll reserve judgement but a short crossing has a lot of appeal over a 8-9 hour Florida flight.
[/quote]

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MAch 2/200552204855_AA757.jpg

Here you go!

flyrr100
21-05-2005, 03:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
[/quote]
Blame the bean counters. It's all down to seats sold vs size of the aircraft. If an airline can't sell all the seats on a 777 it makes sense to operate a smaller aircraft and fill all the seats.
Over here folks always complain abouit 50/70 seat regional jets on trips out of Orlando. But they don't notice 30% of the seats are empty.
Sell over 200 seats consistantly and you'll see a larger aircraft on the route.
Anyway, thats it.

21-05-2005, 03:48
There is also cargo sales to consider, the reason the 757 is often used on trans atlantics from Birmingham and Glasgow is due to a lack of cargo sales, not true out of Manchester apparently.

This route with BMI is consistantly heavily sold on passenger numbers but they need a decent aircraft to launch the new flights to Mumbai and Riyadh from Heathrow as they don't operate any long haul from there.

I think this is a false economy and they will lose revenue on the Washington route.

chrizzy100
21-05-2005, 04:16
I watch Airline UK yesterday...and could not get over how small the space was for each seat......we use Jet blue for small trips in the USA and you get a lot of leg room with them.......

gromit
21-05-2005, 23:22
Some times we travel with Jet Blue from JFK to MCO, they are really good for an internal carrier.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I watch Airline UK yesterday...and could not get over how small the space was for each seat......we use Jet blue for small trips in the USA and you get a lot of leg room with them.......
[/quote]

chrizzy100
21-05-2005, 23:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gromit
Some times we travel with Jet Blue from JFK to MCO, they are really good for an internal carrier.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

Its getting sad that I now know most of the cabin crew on the Boston/ Orlando run......[msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

I rate Jet blue very high......

domster
22-05-2005, 21:55
That is a shame. The old Airbus was very good.

Katys Grandad
22-05-2005, 22:03
My son flew on 1 of the Icelandair 757's from Washington last week. He describes it as the worst transatlantic trip he has ever taken. Old plane, no room and, for whatever reason, a strange odour suggesting the plane had been literally mothballed for a while. The trip wasn't helped by a 1 hour delay on the aircraft before take-off.

By contrast, I flew AA's Boston-Manchester route yesterday. 5 hours 40 minutes and good service. Would definitely use the route again.

By the way - thanks for the photo Lucy.

pieman790
23-05-2005, 00:06
We are flying back from Washington in two weeks time, Cannot believe it will be on that plane. Does anybody know if this flight will have seat back TV's etc?

Katys Grandad
23-05-2005, 00:10
My son's flight didn't - I don't ever recall being on a 757 that had that fitted.

23-05-2005, 00:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
My son's flight didn't - I don't ever recall being on a 757 that had that fitted.
[/quote]

You are correct I have operated a 757 with sceens in the aisles but not seat back.

Here is the seat plan for TF-FII the 757 they are using on the BMI Washington route.....

http://www.icelandair.net/main/view.jsp?branch=5205267

thumpertwinkle
26-08-2005, 17:55
We booked Man to Orlando via Washington with United. The flight out got changed to Chicago though. I phoned BMI to pre-book seats and when they said the seat config was 3-3 I asked what type of aircraft and was horrified as I had not been aware of the changes. I told the lady at BMI I was not at all happy and that I would be contacting my travel agent. I contacted Charter travel and told them I wasn't happy as when I booked I was led to believe that we would be on an Airbus with seat back TV's, they told me to leave it with them.

Just had a call from Charter travel, they have managed to have our return flight re-routed via Chicago. We need to return our flight tickets and they will issue new ones.

According to what I read on another site BMI are stopping the Washington/Manchester route in October and it is not on any of the timetables on the BMI or United Airlines website.

8 weeks to go!

Robert5988
26-08-2005, 18:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: We booked Man to Orlando via Washington with United. The flight out got changed to Chicago though. I phoned BMI to pre-book seats and when they said the seat config was 3-3 I asked what type of aircraft and was horrified as I had not been aware of the changes. I told the lady at BMI I was not at all happy and that I would be contacting my travel agent. I contacted Charter travel and told them I wasn't happy as when I booked I was led to believe that we would be on an Airbus with seat back TV's, they told me to leave it with them.

Just had a call from Charter travel, they have managed to have our return flight re-routed via Chicago. We need to return our flight tickets and they will issue new ones.

According to what I read on another site BMI are stopping the Washington/Manchester route in October and it is not on any of the timetables on the BMI or United Airlines website.

8 weeks to go!
[/quote]

Not sure what you are saying - a 757 to Chicago? I have never heard of Europe to Chicago on a 757 - it would be at the very edge of its range - most just fly to East coast - Boston/New York/Washington.

pieman790
26-08-2005, 19:06
BMI fly to Washington using a B757 and Chicago on a Airbus 330. The B757 is a 3 3 config and no seat back TV's. We flew this route back in May unaware it was a B757 until we actually got on the plane. We did complain but it got us know where. IMO this type of plane is not suited to a trans atlantic flight.
I was told by my travel agent that this route will cease at the end of October 2005. We have used BMI several time before and never had any problems with them until we got on this plane.
Having said that we are using this Christmas and next May via chicago. We are now silver members of their mileage club and by next may will have sufficent points for a free flight.

Robert5988
26-08-2005, 20:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:IMO this type of plane is not suited to a trans atlantic flight.
[/quote]

We have had this topic before. In the opinion of American Airlines, Continental and BMI and other airlines they are suitable for transatlantic travel.

The plane has a range of 4,200 miles and has always flown similar distances across the USA and to the Caribbean etc. I cannot think why people think it is not suitable.

One of the reasons I use it regularly, from choice, is that with less passengers it loads and unloads quicker than the larger aircraft.

I cannot quite believe the importance some people place on having seat-back TV screens.

pieman790
26-08-2005, 20:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:IMO this type of plane is not suited to a trans atlantic flight.
[/quote]
I cannot quite believe the importance some people place on having seat-back TV screens.
[/quote]

Have two kids aged 6 and 3 with you on a long flight, then you will see the importance of having seat back TV's. They are not big enough to see the TV's in the centre aisle.

Robert5988
26-08-2005, 20:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Have two kids aged 6 and 3 with you on a long flight, then you will see the importance of having seat back TV's. They are not big enough to see the TV's in the centre aisle.[/quote]

What makes you think I haven't flown with kids?

You can buy DVDs with 2 screens for about £170 - useful in the car too.

Paula D-S
27-08-2005, 00:01
I flew out on this aircraft on 30th May. Had we have known before hand we would have taken a dvd player for our youngsters aged 9 and 3, however we did not. My children couldn't see the tv's at all. I would never travel with BMI or United (who I did book with) again as the tv situation was only one of the problems we encountered.

Paula

27-08-2005, 00:16
BMI via Chicago is fine its an Airbus and my husband uses the flight regularly[msnwink]

thumpertwinkle
27-08-2005, 13:22
It seems my post isn't very clear. Just to verify the situation I will try to explain more clearly:

We booked for October with United from Manchester to Orlando, going via Washington. I phoned BMI to pre-book seats on the leg of the journey they are operating, Man to Washington, during the conversation I was told it was a 3-3 config B757, I was not happy because when I booked I was told it was an Airbus. I complained to BMI and Charter travel, we have now got our flights re-routed via Chicago on the Airbus. I am happy now.

I also said that I have read elsewhere that the BMI Manchester to Washington is ending at the end of the summer season.

Hope this is now clear, sorry if it isn't.

8 weeks today!!!! First visit to the sunshine state.

27-08-2005, 13:32
Its clear - good move changing to the Chicago!!![msnwink][msnwink]

Paula D-S
27-08-2005, 22:09
BMI via Chicago is fine its an Airbus and my husband uses the flight regularly[msnwink]
[/quote]

I'm afraid it's a case of once bitten twice shy.

Paula

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-08-2005, 00:43
Just a word of caution - not all airlines allow portable DVD players to be used on board so it's worth checking with the airline before travel. We flew with Aer Lingus to Los Angeles in February and they would not allow portable DVD players at all.

Susan J
06-09-2005, 15:26
Has anyone complained to BMI over this - a friend of ours flew the Washington route - not knowing of plane change, and was horrified. She is a nervous flyer, and usually trys to pick a jumbo or Airbus, as she feels safer [?]
THe toilets were blocked, couldn't hear or see a TV, etc etc. Mostly it was lack of room.
She is angry with the travel Agent and intends writing to them and BMI - if she had wanted a cheapo with ? she would have booked it - not the service she thought she should get for the price paid. Reminds me of the trick Virgin did at Manchester a while ago.

pieman790
06-09-2005, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Has anyone complained to BMI over this - a friend of ours flew the Washington route - not knowing of plane change, and was horrified. She is a nervous flyer, and usually trys to pick a jumbo or Airbus, as she feels safer [?]
THe toilets were blocked, couldn't hear or see a TV, etc etc. Mostly it was lack of room.
She is angry with the travel Agent and intends writing to them and BMI - if she had wanted a cheapo with ? she would have booked it - not the service she thought she should get for the price paid. Reminds me of the trick Virgin did at Manchester a while ago.
[/quote]

We complained to BMI when we returned as we were in the same position. we got know where as they said that they only had to get you from a to b and did not have guarantee any type of plane or entertainment. They did tell me they wrote to my travel agent to advise of the change but could not confirm when they actually did this.

06-09-2005, 17:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
[/quote]

Susan J, Do you mean when Virgin used an Icelandair Aircraft in '98/'99?

If so we flew that year and at least Virgin wrote to us explaining and at least it was still a 747 and we all got the money to buy game boys for the children if needed. It still was not ideal but it was not a 757![msnwink]