PDA

View Full Version : Pools

domster
18-05-2005, 22:42
When you book a villa what do you look for in your pool area?

chrizzy100
18-05-2005, 23:08
I'm not really a pool person....but if I were... the largest pool not in full sun I could find would be high on my list.....not having kids hubby would like to swim in one.....not just sit in it.....

Second would be a large covered lanai......with a spa.....but I would forgo the spa for a large pool.....

Ray&Sarah
18-05-2005, 23:37
We would go for the covered lanai, not a big sun worshipper myself. Also like a pool that is as simple in shape as possible, but that is personnal preference for our sons who are both swimmers and like to keep up their training whilst on holidays.[msnsmile2]

Ana
18-05-2005, 23:54
Shame we could only vote for one!!! I make good use of the pool / pool area so have always looked for as many features as possible [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
19-05-2005, 00:21
all we look for is that a villa HAS a heated pool, dont care about the rest! and i would like it to be in the sunshine tho!

Sue and Jere
19-05-2005, 01:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We would go for the covered lanai, not a big sun worshipper myself. Also like a pool that is as simple in shape as possible, but that is personnal preference for our sons who are both swimmers and like to keep up their training whilst on holidays.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Have to agree with you on this one, both my sons are swimmers. They also like a simple shape as they both need to keep up their training. But Jere struggles to keep up with them both!!!!!!

caroline
19-05-2005, 01:18
My choice would be for ALL of the above! But that wasn't an option!

19-05-2005, 01:20
For me it would be all of the above apart from the spa, I like south facing but with a covered area, not overlooked, with a nice big patio area, and a pool large enough to train in[msnwink]

chrizzy100
19-05-2005, 01:30
Can I ask a question thats been bugging me.......why do people not like being overlooked from the rear....but are happy with a house on both sides.....??

I like seeing other people myself.....I'm a great people watcher....[msnsmile2]

caroline
19-05-2005, 01:37
You might like people watching Chrizzy, personally I like to keep my wobbly bits to myself[msnwink] and I don't want particularly relish the thought of looking at anybody elses[msneek]

Ruth
19-05-2005, 02:33
I voted for a big pool but given the choice would have gone for all of them except for South facing[8D]

chrizzy100
19-05-2005, 05:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
You might like people watching Chrizzy, personally I like to keep my wobbly bits to myself[msnwink] and I don't want particularly relish the thought of looking at anybody elses[msneek]
[/quote]

A pool makes me tame my wobbly bits.......so far the young girls in the pool at the back of me have made me feel slim......LOL!

19-05-2005, 10:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Can I ask a question thats been bugging me.......why do people not like being overlooked from the rear....but are happy with a house on both sides.....??

I like seeing other people myself.....I'm a great people watcher....[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

When Im on holiday in Florida I like the pool area to have a nice outlook over woods or lake etc and totally private - I prefer to people watch from cafes bars etc[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
19-05-2005, 11:28
i'm never bothered about other people am too busy having a great time for myself!!!!

19-05-2005, 15:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i'm never bothered about other people am too busy having a great time for myself!!!!
[/quote]

I also like to go topless!!!![msnembarrased]

CarolAnn
19-05-2005, 15:31
Curious:
Is overlooked from neighbours on either side not counted? You could have a lovely conservation view/lake/etc etc...but are still overlooked on either one side or the other. Is that considered different?

blott
19-05-2005, 16:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]

I also like to go topless!!!![msnembarrased][/quote]As that's against the law in Florida, I'm surprised you've not been arrested yet.

19-05-2005, 16:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

I also like to go topless!!!![msnembarrased][/quote]As that's against the law in Florida, I'm surprised you've not been arrested yet.
[/quote]

LOL!! Thats because nobody has ever seen me!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

19-05-2005, 16:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
Curious:
Is overlooked from neighbours on either side not counted? You could have a lovely conservation view/lake/etc etc...but are still overlooked on either one side or the other. Is that considered different?
[/quote]

I consider overlooked to be from the back or the sides, most of the villas we have stayed in have had an open outlook to the rear - lake or conservation and privicy hedges or fences to the sides[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
19-05-2005, 16:43
all to our own! wish i could! but i would scare everyone away with my body! ............ ahh now theres a thought[msnwink]

jolliffee
19-05-2005, 17:24
Certainly looks like there is no single selection other than none that would work for most of us.[msncool]

skoeper
19-05-2005, 19:16
Hmmmm, first thing I look for is a pool safety fence for the little ones. If we don't have that, our vacation is pretty much spent following the kiddies around to make sure they don't get near the pool unattended.

Seeing that wasn't a choice in the poll, I'd say the large covered patio area is next most important (nice to sit out there and have a glass of wine, or family members have their cigarettes).

chrizzy100
19-05-2005, 19:17
[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL!! Thats because nobody has ever seen me!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[/quote]

I nolonger get a tan because I only like to go topless...its harder to do in the USA so I jusr don't sit in the sun anymore....if I were still weight training I would want tons of people to see me....so I'd want a pool in the middle of the highway....LOL!

It would still not worry me to be seen......I've become very American......and use the front of the house more to sit in......and I'm adding a wrap around deck to my house so I can BBQ and call in the neighbours for a burger when they do their evening walk........[msnsmile]

moonbeam
19-05-2005, 19:22
I would have voted for all of the above, as we spend a lot of time around the pool. it is therefore a major factor in choosing our villa.

not too bothered about the spa but to have one is a bonus.

also agree with keeping my wobbly bits to myself, plus on non-park days it is nice to have a peaceful day by the pool without being overlooked by others.

Florida3883
19-05-2005, 21:20
Having a villa built, the type of pool and the safety aspect was important to us. I agree, the days spent away from the parks and chilling out around a pool is a must for the family.

LiesaAnna
19-05-2005, 21:51
yes to sit around the pool just chilling is lovely (i'm there now as i type!)[msnwink]

melvazquez
19-05-2005, 22:18
When we chose our last villa I was determined to get one where the pool wasn't overlooked.

However in the end I chose a villa thet ticked all the boxes EXCEPT the overlooked one! We were lucky tho' as we went in February and all the other villas around us were empty!!!

I am glad we went for a villa that had a South facing pool tho', while we were still enjoying the afternoon sun, the villas behind us were very much in the shade. I'm not a sunworshiper but at that time of year without the sun it did get a bit chilly at the end of the day.

mel

domster
20-05-2005, 00:54
Good to hear there are so many of you that like to go topless! I also like to go topless when by the pool[msntongue]

I would go for the spa as like to have a bud or three in the eve...

20-05-2005, 11:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I nolonger get a tan because I only like to go topless...its harder to do in the USA so I jusr don't sit in the sun anymore....if I were still weight training I would want tons of people to see me....so I'd want a pool in the middle of the highway....LOL!

It would still not worry me to be seen......I've become very American......and use the front of the house more to sit in......and I'm adding a wrap around deck to my house so I can BBQ and call in the neighbours for a burger when they do their evening walk........[msnsmile]
[/quote]

I didnt realise that not wearing a hat was against the law and I could be arrested[msnscared][msncool]

E. Cosgrove
20-05-2005, 14:11
When we were buying our villa a south facing pool was high on the prority list but we were won over by the stunning conservation view and large plot and have a pool which faces east but still gets plenty of sun.[msncool]

Jan.B.
20-05-2005, 16:48
So I should still get a great tan then Liz.....[msnwink]

KJH
21-05-2005, 01:38
Before we bought our villa on Glenbrook, the villas we stayed at had the large pool, spa etc, but a lot of them were let down by the small area left for sunbathing. Everyone was vying for the best bit of sun.

so we bought south facing, extended deck, spa, added an awning for optional shade when needed, the only bit we didn't pay for was the privacy at the back. For the sake of an extra $10,000 dollars it didn't seem worth it. More to spend ion the interior and games room etc. Plus didn't seem any point when house were either side.

kaz

E. Cosgrove
21-05-2005, 12:30
No probs Jan, I've ordered lots of sunshine especially for you!!!!
Well done on your first star [clap][clap]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jan.B.
So I should still get a great tan then Liz.....[msnwink]

[/quote]

IanandSarah
21-05-2005, 14:24
We have seen some pools which are private due to really good choice of shrubs, plants etc outside cage, which gives a kind of 'jungle' feel. This would be a selling point for us.
Key West doesn't seem to adhere to the Florida 'topless' law when we've been?
Ian and Sarah

chrizzy100
21-05-2005, 17:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by IanandSarah
We have seen some pools which are private due to really good choice of shrubs, plants etc outside cage, which gives a kind of 'jungle' feel. This would be a selling point for us.
Ian and Sarah
[/quote]

I like the jungle look...more than open lawn......its the pool areas that catch my eye the most....I don't like a fence...it feels to closed in......I have to have a 6ft fence if we just have our hot tub because the screen is going to be removeable.....

blott
21-05-2005, 18:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by IanandSarah
Ian and Sarah[/quote]Rule 16D-2.04(1)(e) of the Florida Administrative Code, which provides in pertinent part: `In every bathing area all persons shall be clothed as to prevent any indecent exposure of the person. All bathing costumes shall conform to commonly accepted standards at all times.'

Whilst there are a very few nudist beaches in Florida where going topless is OK, generally if someone makes a complaint to the Police about ****** of any sort elsewhere, then you can and will be arrested and charged with Breach of the Peace/Disorderly Conduct.

877.03 Breach of the peace; disorderly conduct.

Whoever commits such acts as are of a nature to corrupt the public morals, or outrage the sense of public decency, or affect the peace and quiet of persons who may witness them, or engages in brawling or fighting, or engages in such conduct as to constitute a breach of the peace or disorderly conduct, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in § 775.082 or § 775.083.

Floridians generally are quite prudish and won't hesitate to ring the Police. So, if anyone's managed to go topless somewhere, they're very lucky to have got away with it.

chrizzy100
21-05-2005, 18:36
They will also phone the cops if they see a young child naked by the pool.......you're not safe even inside your home......you will get reported if they see you naked anywhere near a window.....its going to be a problem for us..because I hate wearing anything in the hot tub.....no problem in MA because we have a FL room with blinds for our hot tub.....we may have to have the same in FL.....in all my years of topless sunbathing in my gardens in the UK not once did I have a problem......but I'd not even try here......not that my body is fit for public view anymore......[laugh][laugh][laugh]

LiesaAnna
22-05-2005, 01:16
oh my God i cant believe that!!!!!!!

how awful!! to be like that in your own home! well if someone is gawking in your window surely hes a peeping tom?

and the little ones? not even allowed to run freely around the pool!!!!! i must remember this for my baby grandson!!!!

22-05-2005, 01:31
I know Liesa talk about OTT!!!!

Magical Dreams
23-05-2005, 21:11
Voting for my Kids would be "JUST A POOL"

MY kids would go in the pool no matter what!

As long as the kids are happy, then so are we!

The Spa is the next thing! Thats for us!!
[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
23-05-2005, 21:36
I say blow the kids (politely) and i go for a pool for me!!!!!![msnwink]

chrizzy100
23-05-2005, 22:00
I know Liesa talk about OTT!!!!
[/quote]

I was stopped by the builders agent and asked if everyone in England skinny dipped because the cops were out all the time......and that really little ones should wear swimwear.....I don't know if the cops were called to the people behind me...but their little girl was out naked by the pool one day.......and in a t-shirt the rest of their stay......

LiesaAnna
23-05-2005, 22:21
maybe a discreet word was had by others?

Cruella DeVilla
24-05-2005, 02:43
I notice too that on the beach in Key West most of the girls were topless, but then again it is laid back down there, but as Blott says it is still against the law.....but so is speeding but people still do it!

I have just got used to not going topless when we are in the States, although I will have a naked back when lying on my front, they can get funny about that too! I think if you do it you take your chance.......[msncool]

tia 33
24-05-2005, 03:09
This forum never fails to come up with useful info! I had no idea your kids couldn't run around in their altogether in your own private pool, in your own private backyard, in your own private villa! Sorry - sarcasm isn't very becoming is it?! [msnembarrased]
Best I curb the exhibitionist tendencies of No 2 son - he is only 5 I should add! :D

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 11:38
Laura i think thats a lot of us thinking the same thing there!
my grandson will be only 22 months old and altho we wouldnt let him run around in the blazing sun naked but wouldnt have minded 10 mins here and there when he steps out of his swimming trunks, now we know (thankfully, as we would hate to be in trouble over it) we wont allow it!
shame!!!

orlandodaze
24-05-2005, 18:02
A lanai is very important to us as we tend to be mostly rather fairskinned except for Dad who is the only one who actually tans. In fact this year we turned down some otherwise super villas because they didnt have a lanai. no we dont really like to be overlooked on any side but in reality this is not practical . This year we have a heated villa and I look forward to many hours in the spa which I shall come out of looking like a very red prune. Now you know why Im not happy being overlooked.

chrizzy100
24-05-2005, 18:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
A lanai is very important to us as we tend to be mostly rather fairskinned except for Dad who is the only one who actually tans. In fact this year we turned down some otherwise super villas because they didnt have a lanai. no we dont really like to be overlooked on any side but in reality this is not practical . This year we have a heated villa and I look forward to many hours in the spa which I shall come out of looking like a very red prune. Now you know why Im not happy being overlooked.
[/quote]

I would be very careful spending to much time in a spa in one go....they can make you very ill.....I know they are not as hot as a hot tub....but my friend was taken to hospital on her honeymoon after being in a heated bathroom spa to long......if you have High BP or any illness ask your doctor if its OK to go in one....

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 19:31
as i have high blood pressure i have always kept away from spas and hot tubs! but if we are allowed in them??????? maybe next time it will have to be on my list for florida wants?[msnwink]

chrizzy100
24-05-2005, 20:34
as i have high blood pressure i have always kept away from spas and hot tubs! but if we are allowed in them??????? maybe next time it will have to be on my list for florida wants?[msnwink]
[/quote]

Your doctor would be able to tell you.....he may give you a plan of how long to stay in.....its the mix of the bubbles and the heat that can be dangerous....so he could start you on heat only for 5 mins like a hot bath..then 5 mins of bubbles...tall people can also have a problem..my friend passed out in hers....and the doctor told her it was her hight.....she had to sell her tub.......

I would ask your doctor...if he say no.......I would stick by what he says and not use one........

LiesaAnna
24-05-2005, 21:19
Thanx Chrizzy :)

fraser
23-06-2005, 23:49
South Facing for the sun.

luckylady
10-07-2005, 16:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
[/quote]

This is why I dont want to be overlooked
Also I think it can be off putting when you are dining outside
Your neighbours may not be watching but you are aware they are there

domster
11-07-2005, 01:35
I did want to buy a lot with conservation as I like to hear the nighttime noises a wooded area makes (strange thing I know!).

But was not prepared to pay the extra $30,000 for it.:(

ellie
11-07-2005, 01:43
Why does everyone think only south facing pools get the sun? I think its because in the UK if you have a north facing anything it is dark and gloomy but unless you are surrounded by lots of other houses which block off the sun most pools are sunny, whatever their aspect.:)

11-07-2005, 10:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
Why does everyone think only south facing pools get the sun? I think its because in the UK if you have a north facing anything it is dark and gloomy but unless you are surrounded by lots of other houses which block off the sun most pools are sunny, whatever their aspect.:)
[/quote]

Im sure you get a certain amount of sun but I have seen photos of pools totaly in shade but mid afternoon[msnsad]

solanasunshine
11-07-2005, 20:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster
I did want to buy a lot with conservation as I like to hear the nighttime noises a wooded area makes (strange thing I know!).

But was not prepared to pay the extra $30,000 for it.:(
[/quote]

Same here Dom [msnsad]

becbecs
11-07-2005, 20:25
As long as the pools there where not to bothered.

Paula D-S
31-08-2005, 11:01
The law for topless sunbathing seems a bit petty when you think of the sizes of some bikinis.

Also we will have to keep an eye on the children, as soon as we enter oor villa the clothes are off them and they are straight in the pool, naked. They can't be bothered waiting 2 minutes whilst I get the swimwear out of the case.

I must stress it's the kids who strip naked and jump straight in the pool and not myself[msnwink

Paula

domster
31-08-2005, 11:26
My wife Mel always goes topless and she is devastated she can't do it at the villa.

I can just imagine your kids running from one door to the other leaving thier clothes in their wake for you to clean up..[msnsmile2]

blott
31-08-2005, 16:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
The law for topless sunbathing seems a bit petty when you think of the sizes of some bikinis.

Also we will have to keep an eye on the children, as soon as we enter oor villa the clothes are off them and they are straight in the pool, naked. They can't be bothered waiting 2 minutes whilst I get the swimwear out of the case.

I must stress it's the kids who strip naked and jump straight in the pool and not myself[msnwink

Paula[/quote]I'm very surprised you haven't had the neighbours complaining to the police as naked children are viewed in the same light as naked or semi naked adults in Florida.

CarolAnn
31-08-2005, 17:04
Must admit, first time I went to Florida, i found the "no Topless" rule a little odd as I had mainly been holidaying in the Greek Isles up to that point. However, don't give it a second thought nowadays, for a number of reasons:
a. too old
b. too large
c. too embarrassed
d. too often in a mall or theme park[:O]

Think that covers it[msneek]

Ray&Sarah
31-08-2005, 18:14
Must admit, first time I went to Florida, i found the "no Topless" rule a little odd as I had mainly been holidaying in the Greek Isles up to that point. However, don't give it a second thought nowadays, for a number of reasons:
a. too old
b. too large
c. too embarrassed
d. too often in a mall or theme park[:O]

<span style="color:red">Think that covers it</span id="red">[msneek]
[/quote]

Was that a bit of a pun there Carol![msnsmile2]
Have to agree with your list though, same here.[msnwink]:D

Paula D-S
31-08-2005, 18:46

Originally posted by caitlin

PaulaI'm very surprised you haven't had the neighbours complaining to the police as naked children are viewed in the same light as naked or semi naked adults in Florida.

Hi Blott,

I must stress this happens only when we first enter the villa on arrival, excitement and the urgency for them to get in the pool, takes over everything.
What a sad world we live in hey[msnsad]

Paula

blott
31-08-2005, 22:43
I don't think that any of this is because of the possibility of perverts but Floridians tend to be quite prudish (as in other parts of America) and generally far less liberal than Europeans (including Brits) about public ******.

Paula D-S
31-08-2005, 22:47
I'd be far too prudish to subject my nakedness to the world Blott, if that makes me prudish, so be it:D:D

Paula

LiesaAnna
31-08-2005, 22:58
prudish!!! i'd make them all sick!![msnwink]

Paula D-S
31-08-2005, 23:00
Sick with envy Leisa, oh lucky you:D:D:D:D:D:D

Paula

CarolAnn
01-09-2005, 12:24
Overall, I do think it is right to respect the rules of the country you visit though. I know my SIL went topless when staying at a Disney resort the first time (she was about 32 at the time), i think there was nearly a riot[msneek]Not sure what she did when they stayed at our villa, though the pool area is very secluded, guess if the pool man had popped by..............[msneek]

domster
01-09-2005, 23:34
Funny, now I know why the pool man is always round our villa!!!!

Cruella DeVilla
02-09-2005, 16:31
Funny, now I know why the pool man is always round our villa!!!!
[/quote]

[:O][:O]Know how Mel feels about the subject I was the same. I could probably get away with it in ours but no doubt somebody with binos could see and complain!

LiesaAnna
03-09-2005, 00:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
[:O][:O]Know how Mel feels about the subject I was the same. I could probably get away with it in ours but no doubt somebody with binos could see and complain!
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

domster
03-09-2005, 21:22
Next they will be telling me to not walk around the pool in my leopard skin thong!!![:O]

Cruella DeVilla
04-09-2005, 13:34
Next they will be telling me to not walk around the pool in my leopard skin thong!!![:O]
[/quote]

[msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]Don't go there again!

(Nice new avatar)!

CarolAnn
07-09-2005, 04:07
[/quote]

errrr!!! Just ahad a Peter Stringfellow moment there[clap][msnwink][msneek]

07-09-2005, 11:50
[/quote]

errrr!!! Just ahad a Peter Stringfellow moment there[clap][msnwink][msneek]
[/quote]

Ooooooh!! Don't go there[msneek][msneek]

Cruella DeVilla
08-09-2005, 12:13
UUGH[msnoo]

CarolAnn
08-09-2005, 17:32
Not your type then CDV?[msnwink]
BTW,our pool man was wearing a sweathirt when he came round to our pool when we were there at Easter:( Mind it made us laugh, as we were all boiling in 80 degrees of heat and in swimwear at the time[msnsmile2] John said " Must be their winter!"

Cruella DeVilla
08-09-2005, 22:05
Definately not Carol I saw that picture, what is he thinking of for gawds sake!

Paula D-S
12-09-2005, 20:34
[/quote]

Which page is this photo posted on Dom?[msneek]

Paula

Susan J
14-09-2005, 15:09
Got to be a large SF pool, separate Kids pool for little ones, and adults weary feet to rest in after day at parks!
Also, very large deck, covered Lanai with fan. Enough Pool Furniture. LAke at back, not bothered about sides as long as agardens are big, and not crammed in too close, as there is rarely anyone next to you anyway - they are either at the parks or whatever.
No Hot tub for me - too full of germs :)
I have never thought of going topless in FL, I just know they wouldn't like it - and when in Rome.........

bridget
17-09-2005, 21:23
Well I'm not going home with white boobs and the villa we are staying at doesn't seem to be overlooked. Haven't people got better things to do with their time than report to the Police that they've seen a pair of breasts - how sad.

domster
30-09-2005, 20:38
What is wrong with stringy and his thong![xx(]

chrizzy100
30-09-2005, 21:30
I was talking about people going topless to my FL neigbours last trip......they asked me what country the people staying at the Ridge could be from because a lot go topless......I said maybe England...
They are OK with it now they know its common for English women to go topless....and would not phone the cops anyway......in fact the son has taken up mowing the lawn a few times a day this summer.........

domster
01-10-2005, 01:27
I bet he has Chrizzy!:D