PDA

View Full Version : Flights on Continental via NY

zerotone
18-05-2005, 22:04
Trying to book some flights for next Easter. Usually book through Charter travel, but rang them yesterday and price was £439 +tax, rang to book the seats today and now quoting £499 +tax. Can anyone else who has flown with Continental advise on any other agent to book with?

Jane

melvazquez
18-05-2005, 22:12
Hi Jane

We have travelled with Continental twice via Newark from Birmingham.

This Feb I booked through Travelbag and paid £299 + taxes.

mel

heathercobbett
18-05-2005, 22:23
Have you tried booking a charter flight by going onto the websites of Cosmos, My Travel,or one of the others.I used to like Last Call Flghts but they seem to have undergone some massive change

Y
18-05-2005, 22:31
Hi Jane
We used this route last Easter and booked direct through continental airlines on their website.The price was as good as any of the agents and there were no credit card charges.You can also choose your seats for all the legs of the journey when you book.

zerotone
19-05-2005, 01:21
Just checked on the Continental website and the price was over $1200 each!!! Must admit, never been able to match Charter Travels prices on the web.

Jane

Susan J
19-05-2005, 02:43
It is an expensive time to travel. However, I found continental good - we flew with them for the first time last Easter - stayed in NY for a few days, then down to our villa, coming back, delayed 24 hours bad weather in NY, hotel overnight, first class upgrade on main leg home, well treated, and downright pampered on way home!!

zerotone
20-05-2005, 01:01
Just spoken to Charter Travel again and they have held seats on the outbound flights (inbound not released yet) at original price of £439+tax. Just hope they have the seats for inbound!

Jane

domster
20-05-2005, 01:06
Strange they keep changing the price so far out.

Had a similar problem this year and was lucky as the price dropped by £50 each last minute. Not on this route though.

nicholson
20-05-2005, 03:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zerotone
Just spoken to Charter Travel again and they have held seats on the outbound flights (inbound not released yet) at original price of £439+tax. Just hope they have the seats for inbound!

Jane
[/quote]

Hi Jane,

Not sure if this will help but if you are flying from Gatwick have you tried Northwest? They had some good deals this year.

zerotone
20-05-2005, 21:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by nicholson

Jane
[/quote]

Hi Jane,

Not sure if this will help but if you are flying from Gatwick have you tried Northwest? They had some good deals this year.
[/quote]

Thanks, but we are flying from Manchester.

Jane

20-05-2005, 22:11
Just be aware that from June 10th they are operating 2 x 757 (narrow bodied) flights a day instead of the one 777 (wide bodied) flight from Manchester[msnsad]

see press release

http://www.manairport.co.uk/web.nsf/Content/PressReleaseContinentalNewYork

carlton
20-05-2005, 22:43
I work in Travel and I am struggling getting flights myself for next Easter, we are wanting to travel 30/31 March for 18 nights from Manchester but everything is either full or very expensive, £499 + tax seems to be the average price i'm finding. We normally fly with Virgin but now just looking at anything. Even looked at booking a cheap BA flight to New York and then booking a separate internal flight down to Orlando but the internal is about £100pp and connections aren't great. Charter flights are even dearer, about £600+ pp.

[msnsad][msnsad]

chrisflowers
21-05-2005, 13:35
I have flown via NY (EWR) with Continental for many years, both from Gatwick, Birmingham, and now Bristol next week.
When you try and book online, the prices are high initially. But if you check every week or so, suddenly they drop from full price (Y class £1000 plus) to the normal £380 ish rate. These are usually non-refundable with restrictions, but are well worth it, especially if you are an Elite (Skyteam).

Steve and Dawn
21-05-2005, 23:16
Trying to book some flights for next Easter. Usually book through Charter travel, but rang them yesterday and price was £439 +tax, rang to book the seats today and now quoting £499 +tax. Can anyone else who has flown with Continental advise on any other agent to book with?

Jane
[/quote]

You could always try these.
http://www.orlandoflight.net/

becbecs
11-10-2006, 00:55
Just thought I would open this thread again as we have just booked flights with Continental via Newark for Xmas this year 2006, any comments would be welcome.

chrisflowers
11-10-2006, 08:32
They are still good, and have introduced updated 757s to the routes from the UK
The new planes have winglets, power supplies at every seat and a new entertainment system in Business First which gives a huge choice of films on a 7 inch screen.

Katys Grandad
11-10-2006, 12:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by becbecs
Just thought I would open this thread again as we have just booked flights with Continental via Newark for Xmas this year 2006, any comments would be welcome.
[/quote]

I'm not that familiar with Continental's product but the 757's all have the 3-3 'slaveship' configuration in economy. It suits some party numbers but not others. Personally, I don't like it on long trips when we're travelling as a couple.

Clare R
11-10-2006, 13:19
Travelling next week Bristol/Newark/Tampa with Continental. Their prices do seem to jump about considerably but generally seem fair. Love the 'slaveship' description but am prepared to put up with it for using a local airport.

Clare R
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1367.aspx

becbecs
11-10-2006, 17:12
This is our first time using continental and at the end of the day its a reputable airline with services being offered just like the others. Anyway the wife said where spending Xmas in Florida not on a plane.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
Travelling next week Bristol/Newark/Tampa with Continental. Their prices do seem to jump about considerably but generally seem fair. Love the 'slaveship' description but am prepared to put up with it for using a local airport.

Clare R
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1367.aspx
[/quote]

chrisflowers
11-10-2006, 20:47
Jane and Fraser

One point we always make is make sure that the connection they offer you allows enough time for delays getting through immigration. We always go for the 2 hour option rather than a skimpy 1hr 30 mins, which has been really hairy on the occasions we tried to cut corners!
ie arrive 2pm, onward connection 4pm

becbecs
12-10-2006, 13:06
Hi Chris

This is the connection we have gone for so fingers crossed we get through immigration without any fuss. If its anything like the Philidelphi connection with US Airways which is 2 hours we should be OK.

Immigration is my only worry. But it all adds to the holiday excitment.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisflowers
Jane and Fraser

One point we always make is make sure that the connection they offer you allows enough time for delays getting through immigration. We always go for the 2 hour option rather than a skimpy 1hr 30 mins, which has been really hairy on the occasions we tried to cut corners!
ie arrive 2pm, onward connection 4pm
[/quote]