PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Conflict

spanchal
21-03-2003, 12:24
Is there any one in Florida or know who can advise the kind of atmosphere there is at present with the War now active. I am travelling myself on Monday but our guest are also a little concerned with regards to flights and possible disruption in Florida.

Sam

chris
21-03-2003, 13:58
You will find that Florida is one of the safest places to be at this time! There is obviously hightened security at all the airports etc. You may get 'frisked' at the airport but they are only doing their best for everyone. Please tell females in your party to try not to wear underwired bras as they set off the bells in the walkthrough security check in Orlando![:0].
If you put a wet wipe in your pocket from your airline meal that also sets it off as it has a metal coating inside. Our kids found it hilarious last week watching me and their Dad having to turf out sweet wrappers and all sorts from our pockets.

They've just set up a 3 mile 'no-fly' zone around Disneyworld so there you will be sure of being safe.They check your bags at the entrance but rest assured they are as unobtrusive as possible. There are rumours of loads of plain clothes security people around as well so they are doing it all well but lowkey. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Just get in the spirit of the place and 'make your dreams come true'.

blott
21-03-2003, 14:20
As Chris says, there is increased security (although a lot of it was introduced post 9/11 but is obviously still relevant) and some of the security may seem like going a bit over the top. Sometimes it causes slight delays but remember, it's there for everyone's safety and it's worthwhile waiting a few extra minutes to ensure that. If you're in a queue around airports though, just please remember not to make any jokes about security as it's taken very seriously.

As well as the no fly zone and searches at Disney, they also have lots of plain clothes police around with extensive CCTV - so smile, you could be on camera!

I think you and your guests are going to have a great time in Florida and I can't wait until our visit there in five weeks time!

orlandobabe
21-03-2003, 14:20
I spoke to my guest down from Canada last night and they are having a super time. Temps in the very high 80's and the mood in Florida is very much business as normal!

I can't wait to go back! Roll on May!

caroline
21-03-2003, 14:34
quote:Originally posted by chris

You will find that Florida is one of the safest places to be at this time! There is obviously hightened security at all the airports etc. You may get 'frisked' at the airport but they are only doing their best for everyone. Please tell females in your party to try not to wear underwired bras as they set off the bells in the walkthrough security check in Orlando![:0].
If you put a wet wipe in your pocket from your airline meal that also sets it off as it has a metal coating inside. Our kids found it hilarious last week watching me and their Dad having to turf out sweet wrappers and all sorts from our pockets.

They've just set up a 3 mile 'no-fly' zone around Disneyworld so there you will be sure of being safe.They check your bags at the entrance but rest assured they are as unobtrusive as possible. There are rumours of loads of plain clothes security people around as well so they are doing it all well but lowkey. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Just get in the spirit of the place and 'make your dreams come true'.

When we flew out in October I managed to set the bells off with shoes! So had to take them off to be scanned separately, they even checked the soles of my feet!
I'm glad that they're so vigilant.

We're off again in three weeks and I can't wait, like Chris said I'm sure that Florida has to be one of the safest places to be at the moment.

Tracy
21-03-2003, 14:55
We returned home from Florida last week,[V] the security was very tight, but it didn't cause too many holdups. We did find that unless you were wearing trainers you were asked to remove all footwear and these were scanned.

My dad also found that sweet wrappers set off the buzzers and he was frisked more than once much to our amusement.:D Unfortunalty we aren't going back until December when our house has been built, but if we could get out between now and then we wouldn't hesitate. The hightened security just makes you feel so much safer !

bellaepovera
21-03-2003, 17:25
Tracy you are right, the more the security the better i feel. I was watching the news last night and Americans were told to go on with there lives ie, work, go out etc...I think being in Florida is very safe and like others have said security is very tight which will all help us be more secure. Just go and have a great time and ahhh the weather is great now!!

florida4sun
21-03-2003, 18:55
Well I am from the UK but live here. Noticed no difference at all other than the restaraunts are packed on evening time. Times likes this poeple put more emphasis on family time.

quote:Originally posted by spanchal

Is there any one in Florida or know who can advise the kind of atmosphere there is at present with the War now active. I am travelling myself on Monday but our guest are also a little concerned with regards to flights and possible disruption in Florida.

Sam

esprit
21-03-2003, 19:42
Disney have got the 3 mile no fly zone but not poor old Universal and Seaworld. Evidently the mouse is seen as being a symbol of America but not poor old Shamu!!!! I honestly think it is as dangerous being in central London as Florida at the moment though, or perhaps even more so. Live your life...

phil moloney
22-03-2003, 02:14
The increased secutity has certainly made it safe, just takes a little longer and the security staff are so pleasant. It makes it easier to have your luggage and carrier bag tidy and pockets empty. I'm always a little embarrased opening them I'm not a neat packer. Isn't it amazing how active the booking of villas is at the moment! Well sitting here thinking of those restaurants and the superb weather aren't they just right.There won't be a villa available for the summer, when its all over everyone will be taking a holiday so now is probably an excellent time to go. No doubt about it, the whole of the US is vigilant and the US is safe at this point in time.
Phil

SunLover
22-03-2003, 21:27
I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above.

I was in Florida about 3 weeks ago, and am flying out again towards the end of April. The added security at airports is strict, but friendly, so no need to be concerned on that score, and lets face it, a good frisking never hurt anyone !!![:I]

Personally, I am not at all concerned about flying at this time. The only thing that bothers me is that it still takes nine and a bit hours before I can bask in that gorgeous Florida sunshine !!!

Like Esprit says, I honestly think Orlando / Kissimmee is way safer than London. Even in New York where I was a month ago, I got the same feeling.

So don't fret. Get on that plane, knock back a couple of complimentry cocktails and have a blast in Florida [8D]

Chris

spanchal
23-03-2003, 19:31
Thanks to everyone for their feedback

Sam