PDA

View Full Version : The Trust Factor

areilly
21-03-2003, 11:11
I am in the midst of renting a villa directly from the owner. It is time for the final payment to be made and I am nervous. What 'normally' occurs in these types of transactions that are confirmed online? When do we get clearer information, like how to find the home once in Florida? I actually work for an internet company that requires their clients to pay quite a bit and use our online service. I feel slightly embarrassed that I am now on the receiving end and so hesitant. I have the person's name. What else should be available to me? Any advice is most appreciated.

Thank you.

Theresa
21-03-2003, 12:33
Every owner has their own routine they follow - some will give you the details once the balance has cleared others will send them four weeks before your departure etc. Also, depending on their managment company, you might have to collect the keys from an office, or go direct to the villa as it has a keypad on the door or a lock box with the key inside.

It would probably be best for you to contact the owner direct either by email or phone and ask them. If you have booked your villa through this site then all the owners have been verified - they have been check out that they own the villa.

Hope this helps, I know it can be a bit "nerve racking" but it is the same for us owners, we are trusting our guests with our home.

Lakul
21-03-2003, 12:47
With my villa, I always tell the guests right from the start, when they will receive the directions etc. For them, this is soon as the final payment has cleared. I also put this in writing on the booking confirmation letter. Is this information on your paperwork that was sent to you at the time of booking, or perhaps on the Terms and Conditions?

If in doubt, I'm sure the owner will be happy to answer all your questions. I know, I wouldn't want my guests worrying about any aspect of their arrangements.

Enjoy your holiday:D

steph_goodrum
21-03-2003, 13:13
We as owners do appreciate just how nerve racking it can be to send money off to an unknown person on the internet.
As has already been said most owners will give you a clear idea of when you should expect directions to your villa. Usually when the final balance payment has been cleared, some owners leave it till a couple of weeks before, most travel agents send airline tickets only a couple of weeks in advance, so they figure all the information will arrive at once. Just ask the owner for a phone no and have a chat and I'm sure you'll feel much happier.
As Theresa said it is just as bad for us at this end, you may be sending in the region of £1000 but each time we have a new set of guests into our home we are trusting them with something worth approx $200,000 and we have to hope that they are going to treat our homes with proper respect, so it does cut both ways, honest.
I'm sure once you've spoken to the owner etc you will feel more relaxed and can look forward to your holiday with more confidence than you will get from an agent, you will know your exact address and in many cases will not have to drive to collect keys at the other end. Once you know where you're staying please come back and ask us for any other info about the area won't you? Above all have a great trip.

janny
21-03-2003, 13:14
I always get in touch with my guests as soon as I receive the final payment and tell them they will receive the details within 7 days and whether this is by fax,e-mail or post.As the others have said get in touch with your owner and and put your worries to rest.

esprit
21-03-2003, 14:08
I always send my fact sheet on the villa out with my balance payment reminder. That way the guests have something in hard copy on the villa before they pay. I think they like that as I have never had anyone query sending me a balance in 6 years and I have had peoople from as far away as Seoul. They get the directions as soon as I have received the balance. All owners have their own procedures however. We cannot really give out directions before payment as that leaves us open, also even sending directions out 4-6 weeks before, I have had guests lose them before they go. 99% of villa rental transactions are on the straight, particularly if you go through a reputable website such as this one. If you are really worried, ask the owner if they will accept payment by credit card ( some owners will) as the card then gives you protection. If the owner refuses however, please do not think that this is in itself suspicious as some owners, particularly new ones, may just not have found a way of processing cards yet.

blott
21-03-2003, 15:29
Before guests book, I send them a timetable of when their payments are due, what information they will receive and when as I find it's helpful to explain everything in the beginning. This stops people being concerned about what happens when as they've already had it explained to them and know exactly what to expect. Our driving directions and key collection details, like most other home owners have said, are provided when our guests have paid their balances.

If you've booked a Florida home through this site, as Theresa says, all the home owners have been verified so that you can be sure they own the home they are renting to you.

Please contact your home owner with your concerns and I'm sure they will be only too happy to explain everything to you.

orlandobabe
21-03-2003, 16:20
Why don't you email the owner and ask for the phone number-you might feel a lot better once you've had a little chat-and you can always ask them about some good places to eat and buy food for that all important cuppa once you have arrived at the villa.

Most owners bend over backwards to ensure their guests feel as confident as possible in renting our homes and would welcome the opportunity to have a little chat-because as so rightly said-the trust has to go two ways.

areilly
22-03-2003, 05:47
You are all absolutely right! The cost of the home and contents far outweighs the weekly rental cost. I am still just the littlest bit afraid that I will drive 16 hours with four children that are 8, 7, and 4 yr old twin boys to find..... NO HOUSE. I am actually trying to think of back up plans if god forbid this occurs...Silly? Probably.
You have made me feel better and I have enjoyed reading the message board. So informative about anything and everything.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-03-2003, 14:33
If you have rented off www.orlandovillas.com or www.vacation-rental-villas.com then we have personally checked that all villas on the sites exist on official records (state and county records) so you can be assured the villas are actually there - this is the Verified Villa logo you will see on the sites.

If you want to private message me (I run this site) with the owners name I will be happy to confirm if we know them.

orlandobabe
23-03-2003, 01:07
There you go Mr/Ms Reilly
you can't have a better offer than that:D:D:D

You've probably only 'said' what many people think-so I shouldn't worry about it:D

UKAllan
25-03-2003, 15:39
I can understand concerns about NO VILLA !!
Before entering the market I rented villas a lot but the first time was VERY scary. I had persuaded 6 other people to come to Florida and stay in a Villa as I was fed up with hotel life. We landed late afternoon and by the time we picked up the hire cars it was dark and rain was falling and the map was upside down !! (It wasn't but you know what I mean). Directions we had were basically to head for the 192 and head for a now forgotten landmark and then find the MC's office safe on the wall outside their building. Key in the code and look through all the envelopes and find our names and then get final instructions AND the key. Well our name was NOT there and my worst fears of a scam seemed to be coming true!! However it was simply that the MC had written the owners name on the envelope. Once I had twigged this all was OK and we habe NO such scares since. Keep the faith and enjoy!!