PDA

View Full Version : What size car to hire?

Jen2001ad
15-05-2005, 06:08
Hi everybody,

My family and I are heading off to Orlando in October :D, there are 7 of us in total. We are currently debating on what size vehicle to hire, or whether to hire two (as my husband and I are going with my Mum her partner and 3 teenagers[msneek])

Does anyone have any opinions on what would be best?

Thanks in advance,

Jen.

pieman790
15-05-2005, 10:07
It depends if you intend to do everything together or not. With two cars you get the option to do something differant on the same day.

LesleyB
15-05-2005, 11:19
Personally, so long as there are at least two of you in the party that can/want to drive, I would go for two cars. Perhaps a 7 seater and an economy car. When you go somewhere together, say the theme parks, you could go in one car (and one parking charge) and you could go off on your own without having to worry that the others don't have transport. With 3 teenagers you might also struggle for space for the luggage to and from the airport with one car.

The car hire from this site is great value and definitely worth checking out.

E. Cosgrove
15-05-2005, 11:55
I would wholeheartedly agree with Lesley. 2 cars are a must when you have a large party who may wish to do different things, but the 7 seaters are great for days out together trips to the restaurant etc. I don't think the 8 seater is much more in price than the 7 for a bit of extra room.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB
Personally, so long as there are at least two of you in the party that can/want to drive, I would go for two cars. Perhaps a 7 seater and an economy car. When you go somewhere together, say the theme parks, you could go in one car (and one parking charge) and you could go off on your own without having to worry that the others don't have transport. With 3 teenagers you might also struggle for space for the luggage to and from the airport with one car.

The car hire from this site is great value and definitely worth checking out.
[/quote]

jolliffee
15-05-2005, 14:17
Two cars would make a lot of sense, you could have a large and small one. But if you stayed with just one you'd need to go with one of the people carriers.

eagleydo
15-05-2005, 15:01
There are 8 of us and we aare going with a 7 seater and an economy. We were 6 last year and we decided that it would have definately been a better idea to have had another small car, we had discussed this before we went but unsure and had stuck to one in the end.-

LiesaAnna
15-05-2005, 15:23
jan wouldnt it be better to go for an 8 seater? so you could all fit in the 1 vehicle if needed to? 8 seater + 1 car we are doing that, so my daughter and partner and the baby can go their own ways for a day or so if they like! but then for a day to daytona or clearwater we can all set out in the 1 vehicle! oh i cant wait!!

heathercobbett
15-05-2005, 16:08
Those two birds can't stay away from one another.There will be another baby in your blanket soom,Liz!!!

heathercobbett
15-05-2005, 16:12
I am strictly in the 2 car camp.Even if we go with one other couple,we have 2 cars.Before we got to know the American cars,we always used to ask the car hire people to equate a car to a British model.If you use the link above,I am sure John/Roger will do that.Certainly a van means something quite different over there

Jen2001ad
15-05-2005, 17:28
Thanks so much for that, I had not thought about getting a big car and an economy, had only thought about 2 standard size cars.

Have just checked out prices on the car hire site and the price is coming out roughly the same as a 12 seater, which is what I was thinking about getting because of all our luggage - especially on the way home!!!

Thanks again,

Jen.

eagleydo
15-05-2005, 18:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
jan wouldnt it be better to go for an 8 seater? so you could all fit in the 1 vehicle if needed to?
[/quote]
Liesa we chose the 8 seater once and every time we got in the car we would argue and the minute we got out we would stop. The kids swore the car was the problem and we have always stuck to a 7 seater, anyway we have a couple of smokers with us
(ie. my eldest and the friend of my third son, wish to put them in a different car so that they can inhale their own smoke and the rest of us will be free of that argument. Another one of my sons smokes but never in the car, but we have the option to suggest he travels with the smokers.Also but I can only say this because he doesn't read this forum, my eldest son can talk the hind leg off a donkey and loves to discuss everything so we are happy to move him out of our car and in to another.)

LiesaAnna
15-05-2005, 18:15
Jan totally understand!!! being a non smoker myself i cant stand people smoking in the car with us!
i thought am sure you would know that there was an 8 seater, we have chosen that cos of the others coming but also we always have arguements about who was sitting in the middle etc, think there will be enough room for the 3 of them to sit on same side?

E. Cosgrove
16-05-2005, 02:31
LOL :D:D:D<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
Those two birds can't stay away from one another.There will be another baby in your blanket soom,Liz!!!
[/quote]

CarolAnn
16-05-2005, 12:15
I would go 2 cars if it suits your budget, for SO many reasons!! We go as a family of 3, and having driven myself a few times this year, I would quite like to have 2 cars just for our small group, [msnwink]

cr1000
16-05-2005, 14:33
Definitely two cars is the way to go.

On this subject does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of additional drivers you can have with Dollar rent a car.

We have a party of 6 (5 drivers) going over in September and we have a 7 seater van and a convertible waiting for us [msnsmile2]. Ideally we would like to have the 5 drivers on both cars to give us maximum flexibility, has anyone got any experience on this?

Chris

blott
16-05-2005, 19:02
It says unlimited with the Gold option Chris (2 with the Silver option) http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/Faq.aspx#8

cr1000
16-05-2005, 19:25
Thanks Blott, that's good news, more people able to drive means more people can have a beer/wine and not worry about driving back to the villa. [clap]