PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove

panicdiva
14-05-2005, 01:39
Our kids really want to go to discovery cove the next time we are in Florida. I'm really not so sure. It really is a lot of money for just one day, & is it really worth it? I would love to hear feedback from those who have been.

esprit
14-05-2005, 01:52
We have never been because we thought the same as you, but living and working in Orlando, I meet a lot of people who have been and have asked them what they thought and never once has anyone ever said, no it wasnt worth the money. I dont think people go twice, but it is something they never regret doing once in their lives. Also the pretty decent exchange rate currently has taken the price for English people down quite a bit. We earn on dollars so we need to save up!

Ruth
14-05-2005, 02:15
I have done it twice (once with the children) so I certainly think it is worth the money but then I always have been addicted to dolphins and have also done swims in 4 other places apart from Discovery Cove. Our children really loved Discovery Cove and want to go again as soon as possible;)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
We have never been because we thought the same as you, but living and working in Orlando, I meet a lot of people who have been and have asked them what they thought and never once has anyone ever said, no it wasnt worth the money. I dont think people go twice, but it is something they never regret doing once in their lives. Also the pretty decent exchange rate currently has taken the price for English people down quite a bit. We earn on dollars so we need to save up!
[/quote]

tezz7628
14-05-2005, 02:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by panicdiva
Our kids really want to go to discovery cove the next time we are in Florida. I'm really not so sure. It really is a lot of money for just <span style="color:red">one day</span id="red">, & is it really worth it? I would love to hear feedback from those who have been.
[/quote]

dont forget technically it isnt just one day as you get 7/14 days at seaworld, which we made use of :)

my one beef was the extortionate cost of the photos, :( and they know some people will pay for the momentos of the event, which spoiled an otherwise tremendous day

becbecs
14-05-2005, 23:36
Been there, done it, don't look at the price just do it one of the best days you will have in your Life.:D

Seriously its a fab day, lots to keep you occupied, food excellent and the Dolphin Swim just makes this day so special. Plus included in the price of your ticket are day passes to Seaworld. In 2003 the Discovery Cove day gave us 7 consecutive free days entry into Seaworld.

As Tezz said earlier, the photo prices they try to charge you are rather high, but you don't have to buy if you don't want.

Discovery Cove = Top Day[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Andy & Arlene
15-05-2005, 12:34
What else is there to do in DC, apart from the 20 minute swim with the dolphins. Only 3 of us want to do the dolphin swim,so just wondering what else the other 2 could do. Also,is a whole day there too long?

steph_goodrum
15-05-2005, 13:30
Arlene
No there's plenty to do with the other reefs where you can snorkel with the rays and a tank of sharks and there is an aviary, lazy river ride, beach areas.
The lunch was extremely good when we went a few years ago.
Because the admission is restricted to 1000 a day it is not too crowded.

McjohnjM
18-05-2005, 19:48
Have to agree with the other comments, don't think about the price just do it, it is remarkablely expensive but well worth it, specially when you see the look on your childrens faces, picture are a rip off, but again you just have to buy them, because to be honest I don't think you can justifiy the price to do it again.

Ana
19-05-2005, 00:25
Discovery Cove is wonderful and totally worth the money. We've been 3 times now and are still looking forward to going back again. [msnsmile2]

orlando novice
18-07-2005, 22:58
[Great feedback on discovery cove, I have just booked my tickets for 15 October and can't wait with the 14 days for busch and seaworld

Ian Dee
22-07-2005, 03:18
we wet last year. 6 of us (one non-swimmer) and only 2 went with the dolphins.
Its a great day, even the non swimmer - you get life jacket type things.
Aviary was good as well.
YOu get what you pay for.

Mr G
22-07-2005, 07:54
Just come in from Discovery Cove. Have to agree one of the best days of our Florida days out. The children loved the Coral reef and snorkling with the fish. We arrived there at 8am and left at 5:30 so had our moneys worth. They now do a DVD also(I was told only Video before).We have all watched the DVD and it is a great momento.
I would highly recommend the visit to Discovery cove, excellent friendly staff, meal excellent, Dolphin swim excellent and coral reef, sting ray lagoon excellent.

10 out of 10

Just put two very tired children to bed and two more following soon [msnsmile2]

Disneybubs
22-07-2005, 08:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:They now do a DVD also(I was told only Video before).We have all watched the DVD and it is a great momento.[/quote]

Can I ask how much the dvd costs as it seems like a great idea and we are visiting DC in august.

Mr G
22-07-2005, 20:49
The DVD was $69. Half devoted to Discovery cove and explaining about conservation,Dolphins, birds etc and half showing your family group and interaction with the Dolphin, ours was called Hutch.

It runs for about 40 minutes in total.

A little expensive as DVD's go, but I guess they can charge what they like.

They will do a PAL or NTSC one depending on your origin.

Hope this helps have a great time in August. Get there early, ie 8am to ensure you have an early Dolphin swim.

Tin Cat
01-09-2005, 01:04
What a day went last Saturday, arrive early for early swim and get a sun bed near the water so you can watch them all day long interacting with the other swimmers, plenty of food at lunch excellent snorkelling with the fish and the coral reef, sting ray lagoon, it was an experience which we would do again no question.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
01-09-2005, 12:03
Just spoke to a friend who went last week. I have never really been that bothered to go, but we were alreadying suggesting we may go there on our next visit. Having read this thread and speaking to the friend who went last week, i am really keen to do it! In some ways the Sting Ray Lagoon, and snorkling sounded even more fun than the Dolphin swim[msnwink] overall it was rated a highlight of their trip, and the photos are of course.."Luvverrly":)

Nina A
08-11-2005, 14:30
Have to agree with everything that has been said. Yes it is a lot of money but still excellent value apart from the rather pricey photos and video. We were trainers for the day. If you love animals it is really worth the extra money. We are tough critics but could not fault them. The 2 trainers that were our hosts for the day were brilliant. They took care of everything we needed even before we realised we needed it! I am not a good swimmer, hate being out of my depth and am not very confident but our hosts were so kind and caring I happily swam through the 15ft deep coral reef and really enjoyed it. Our only problem is the day was so perfect we are reluctant to go back in case the second visit doesn't live up to the first!

mizzy
08-11-2005, 15:22
Hi i would say do it

we went in march and it was the best day of our holiday
and it is first on our to do list for when we go back

we paid £134 for our swim and got 7 days at seaworld if you break that down into days this equates to about £17 per day which doesnt seem to bad

we bought 6 large photos and some wallet size ones plus the video and it came to about £150

it was lovely for the grandparents to see the childrens faces on the video and this was priceless as far as grandma was concerned

we paid a few dollars more for valet parking (but worth it)

we had about 35 minutes with the dolphin ours was called capricorn and he was a cheecky ladies man !!

there was absolutely loads to do or you could just chill out on a lounger on that lovely white sand

it truly was a 5 star experience that we cant wait to repeat

hope this helps Mizzy