PDA

View Full Version : travel city direct (not travelocity)

sammibabe
11-05-2005, 15:54
Have been searching for flights and have come up with a good price form travel city direct. Would like to go with Virgin but with 5 of us travel city direct would save us about £800. Have heard the inflight entertainment is not that brill (so plenty of reading which fortunately my children love) but has anybody out there had any experiance of flying with them and if so what do you think? Thanks

Curly Wurly
11-05-2005, 16:06
Hi Sammi,

Not had any direct experience but I will have this year. We've booked to go in the Sunshine Upper Deck with them end of August - have read varying reviews both good and bad so fingers crossed [msnsmile2]

stabard
11-05-2005, 16:07
I have travelled with them once. On the way out we had the headrest TV's which was great. The legroom was a bit tight tho. On the way home we did not have the headrest TV which my boys were disappointed by but they ended up getting some sleep.

I found their car hire very expensive and they insisted that I had to have it or pay more for my flights.

We would not travel with them again unless we could get nothing else as we prefer the schedule airlines. But we have done it now so we are in the position to campare and make our choice accordingly.

Chloe
11-05-2005, 16:35
Before you go ahead and book, why not check out the prices on this site, both for flights and hols AND theme park ticket, really very good. Chloe

abbeyvillas2
11-05-2005, 17:20
[lucky] We went with Travel City last year & for a cheap flight deal we found they were fine. They have their own 747 Jumbo's to FLorida and all meals, drinks were included in the price and headsets were free,unlike some charter flight companies who charge separately for all of this.

McjohnjM
11-05-2005, 17:45
Glad to hear some positive things about them as we also are travelling with them in December and have upgraded, we do not mind the inflight entertainment not being so good but are more concerned over the leg room as most of us are over 5' 7", that all except Kim who does not mind leg room of 32 pitch

Jackie1
11-05-2005, 17:50
We have travelled with them for the last 3 years,
and are flying with them again in July.
We have found them fine to.

jon2211
11-05-2005, 18:23
We are about to travel with them for the 5th time next week. If they were that bad we wouldn't have gone back.

things to remember - preorder kids meals, check in early if you haven't prebooked seats.

Also, if you can afford it then upgrade to upperdeck or first.

You are right, car hire is expensive. We have paid about £60 a fortnight more than we could have got it through the sites advertised here.

lizmcg100
11-05-2005, 21:11
we think they are very good and great value for their money.

We have flown with them on several occasions and couldn't fault them for anything.

Some of the planes don't have headrest tv's but it's not that much of an inconvenience and all food and soft drinks are included not to sure about alcoholic cant quite remember.

I'm sure you will enjoy flying with them

kitty
11-05-2005, 23:40
We travelled with travel city last year and had no problems with them at all,apart from a miserable stewardress on the way home,we didnt have headrest tvs but we take travel games for the children to play.The alcoholic drinks are free as well but if you are driving the other end its best to just have one or two.Take drinks for the children as after about 4 hours they didnt have any soft drinks left they were keeping them for mixers which i wasnt too happy with.[msncool]

montyzuma
12-05-2005, 02:51
I have a villa in florida and use them all the time, sometimes you get a screen in the headrest sometimes it a common screen but you are only on the plane for 9 hours, i've found there prices to be very hard to beat and any probs with their planes have been quickly sorted out.
some people poo-poo them but i have no complaints

cherry
12-05-2005, 06:19
I cannot fault them .We used them in Feb this year and although I agree the car hire seemed dear the flight was cheap and on time at both ends .The car was ready and what we ordered at Sanford .I was well pleased and will use them again .I went Scheduled from Amsterdam once and regreted every minute of it ,Martinair was [bad language filtered out]just to get to my local a/port cost so much more it was not worth the price .

Curly Wurly
12-05-2005, 14:11
Its so good to hear so many positive comments - made me feel a whole lot better - thanks all :D

janice
12-05-2005, 19:29
We have travelled with them a few times and find them a good cheap source of getting to where I most want to be. My Hubby always says "If you were offered £800 per family, to sit in the economy seats with no seat-back tv, you would take it wouldn't you?" Let's face it it's only 8-9 hours. You do pay more for car rental but the cheaper flight price out-weighs the cost.

Robert5988
13-05-2005, 00:09
This is the first thread on any forum - including this one(do a search) - that is complimentary about TCD.

In my opinion they are the pits!

13-05-2005, 01:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
This is the first thread on any forum - including this one(do a search) - that is complimentary about TCD.

In my opinion they are the pits!

[/quote]

Me too Robert as you know I would not fly with them even if they gave me free tickets!!!!

marksd
13-05-2005, 05:14
Booked with TravelCity for last November. On first enquiring they offered me flights with themselves. After quotes fom other agents I went back to them and enquired about flights with BA from Gatwick, as this is where we would of flown with them. They tried to sell me there flights again but I was persuasive with them that I wanted to fly with BA and would book elsewhere if they could'nt offer me anything. I payed £283 for adults (3) and £193 for Child (2) inclusive of all taxes.

Also, I believe TravelCity are chartered flights which means cramped seating, 20kg baggage allowance per person and costly drinks etc.

BA being scheduled you get 2 * 32kg baggage allowance per person, essential with the extra baggage on the return journey, and free [drinkbeer]and [drinkpepsi] with food thrown in [easter1]. Also the seat back TV's are a godsend and 33" pitch seats offering that bit of extra legroom are standard. You can also pre book your seats at no extra cost.

Hope this helps.
[msncool]

phaedra
13-05-2005, 14:39
BAs World Traveller seats are only 31" seat pitch not 33", less than almost all of the other scheduled carriers. As for TCD we've always managed to book scheduled flights and car hire for less than TCDs fly-drive prices, especially when booking a 7 seater minivan as they are nearly £300 more expensive just for the car hire.

Curly Wurly
13-05-2005, 16:18
I'm led to believe that TCD has free drinks & food on the flight also? & that standard leg room is 33"

I could be wrong but I'll let you know after we've flown with them! :)

janice
13-05-2005, 18:06
Everytime I have searched for a price with BA or Virgin they are always mega expensive, I would rather travel at a cheaper fare with no seatback tv with TCD than pay the high prices of the above. It doesn't matter how much room you have on a plane it's still uncomfortable, I have travelled with seat pitch of 50" and still can't get comfy.

andrew01
13-05-2005, 18:11
We have flewn a few times with Continental from Birmingham and with the difference in price that the dearer flights would have cost we bought a portable DVD player which has been wonderful
Margaret

www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1413.aspx

blue nose
13-05-2005, 21:14
I think Travel City is an excellent "value for money" company,it may not have all the bells and whistles,like some other overpriced companies, but when you take into account that all meals and drinks are free and you fly direct to Sanford in nine hours,which is an added bonus,no messing about queing at customs or car hire desks for up to two hours.

bluenose.

14-05-2005, 01:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janice
Everytime I have searched for a price with BA or Virgin they are always mega expensive, I would rather travel at a cheaper fare with no seatback tv with TCD than pay the high prices of the above. It doesn't matter how much room you have on a plane it's still uncomfortable, I have travelled with seat pitch of 50" and still can't get comfy.
[/quote]

Upper Class Virgin and BA First both have flat beds which are very very comfy[msnwink]

Joking apart, flying like everything else is down to personal choice, my history is in aviation and there are some airlines that I will not fly with no matter how cheap TCD being one of them - I dislike the whole ethos of the company and the way they do business[msncool]

blue nose
14-05-2005, 14:55
Not everyone may have the luxury of vastly discounted seats,[msnwink] or unlimited funds. only joking[msnwink].

bluenose.

14-05-2005, 21:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blue nose
Not everyone may have the luxury of vastly discounted seats,[msnwink] or unlimited funds. only joking[msnwink].

bluenose.
[/quote]

If you are refering to me I don't get any discounted seats as I left BA in 1998 and I certainly don't have unlimted funds hence Im not going to Florida this year!!!!! Do I sense a little green eyed monster here???

Its just about choice and principals - we have differences.

I am going next year and I will be going Virgin Premium and theres no luxury about it!!! Its called damed hard work which I do all year, I don't drink or smoke and I save hard [msnmad]

Oh joking does not wash with me[msnmad]

blue nose
15-05-2005, 16:19
I just cannot understand why someone has such a loathing for a company like Travel City, and yet has never used them.They cannot be that bad after 10 years service to Florida.

bluenose.

15-05-2005, 20:43
I just cannot understand why someone has such a loathing for a company like Travel City, and yet has never used them.They cannot be that bad after 10 years service to Florida.

bluenose.
[/quote]

You don't have to understand it, just accept it!!!![msnmad]

sheenallan
15-05-2005, 21:54
We have just got back home after flying with travel city ,we were upgraded to the sunshine deck going over as we were all adults and coming back we were again allocated the same seats only to be asked if we would mind moving to the front(plenty of leg room) as the travel rep from Travel City prefferd to sit at the back.
So all in all we can't fault them,we have been traveling with them now for over 8 years and never had a problem,travelling with them again in October 14 of us!!!
Sheena.

blue nose
15-05-2005, 22:14
This is just a personal thing, but i would not dream of critticising or expressing an oppinion about a product or company, which i had not had any first hand experience of.

bluenose.

Steve and Dawn
15-05-2005, 22:21
This is just a personal thing, but i would not dream of critticising or expressing an oppinion about a product or company, which i had not had any fisrt hand experience of.

bluenose.
[/quote]

It seems to me not too long ago you were critising people and labeling them "snobs" for flying "Their beloved Virgin"[msnwink] having not flown with them???

I believe there is much more to an airline than how much it costs to put your bum on the seat.

Steve & Dawn

Steve and Dawn
15-05-2005, 22:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

bluenose.
[/quote]

If you are refering to me I don't get any discounted seats as I left BA in 1998 and I certainly don't have unlimted funds hence Im not going to Florida this year!!!!! Do I sense a little green eyed monster here???

Its just about choice and principals - we have differences.

I am going next year and I will be going Virgin Premium and theres no luxury about it!!! Its called damed hard work which I do all year, I don't drink or smoke and I save hard [msnmad]

Oh joking does not wash with me[msnmad]
[/quote]

Dead Right Lucy!![msnwink]

15-05-2005, 22:26
This is just a personal thing, but i would not dream of critticising or expressing an oppinion about a product or company, which i had not had any fisrt hand experience of.

bluenose.
[/quote]

If you really want an explanation I will give you one, when you are in the airline business over the years you get a lot of insider information and as I have said many times before there are certain airlines that I will not fly with even if they gave me free tickets - but that is my choice. I am not saying that you should not fly with them, I am not trying to inflict my views on you it is just my opinion/view/how I feel. You however can not or will not repect my choice and instead you make un warranted comments and massive assumptions which are wrong ie .................

quote:
Originally posted by blue nose
Not everyone may have the luxury of vastly discounted seats, or unlimited funds. only joking.

bluenose.

and quite honestly I object too, you seem hell bent on having a go at those of us who choose Virgin or BA, where as I am just expressing my view along with Robert that I would not fly with them[msnmad]

15-05-2005, 22:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn

bluenose.
[/quote]

It seems to me not too long ago you were critising people and labeling them "snobs" for flying "Their beloved Virgin"[msnwink] having not flown with them???

I believe there is much more to an airline than how much it costs to put your bum on the seat.

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

Thank you Steve and Dawn[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
15-05-2005, 22:29
i go for the one with the best leg room and i now know which seats my fat bum fits in to!
plain and simple i dont work, therefore we have to fly economy, it would be nice to try it one day, premium seats, maybe when its just hubby and me!

[msnwink] just glad we can afford to take the kids to florida, never had any holidays when we were kids!

blue nose
15-05-2005, 22:32
Your making assumptions,i will fly with any airline anywhere in the world, which i consider to be fairly priced.

bluenose.

Steve and Dawn
15-05-2005, 22:40
Your making assumptions,i will fly with any airline anywhere in the world, which i consider to be fairly priced.

bluenose.
[/quote]

Cheapest More like....:)

15-05-2005, 22:56

bluenose.
[/quote]

Good for you[msncool]

Lets hope you get what you pay for[msnwink]

Robert5988
16-05-2005, 00:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:This is just a personal thing, but i would not dream of critticising or expressing an oppinion about a product or company, which i had not had any first hand experience of.
[/quote]
Bluenose,

Lucy and I have merely passed an opinion on the merits of TCD.

Your argument that it is necessary to have first hand knowledge to pass an opinion makes little sense. We all seek opinions on products and companies in many ways; it’s called research!

I wanted an Alfa Romeo but have never owned one. I know two people who own Alfa Romeos and both have had a great deal of trouble with them. Various motoring surveys comment adversely on the reliability of Alfas. Therefore I am perfectly justified in passing an opinion that Alfas have a poor reliability record. By your reasoning only those who have owned an Alfa can express any view. The fact that you may have owned a reliable Alfa does not invalidate my opinion.

As it happens I have flown with TCD. I know other people who have flown with them, and have read plenty of adverse comments about them in this, and other, websites. I have no qualms about the airworthiness of their aircraft, but dislike the whole ethos of the company.

Lucy no doubt has grounds for giving her opinion – but it is just that - an opinion. She might even drive an Alfa!

sunseeker
16-05-2005, 00:36

bluenose.
[/quote]

Good for you[msncool]

[/quote]

and it looks as tho he probably will [msnwink]

Dave

16-05-2005, 00:43
Robert,

I do drive an Alfa as it happens...................no I dont I drive a Chrysler Voyager and I love it[msnsmile]

16-05-2005, 01:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

bluenose.
[/quote]

Good for you[msncool]

[/quote]

and it looks as tho he probably will [msnwink]

Dave
[/quote]

Oh really????[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

16-05-2005, 01:36
Interesting reviews.....................

1 November 2004

Outbound flight Manchester to Sanford 02/09/2004 was ok, but the return journey on 16/09/2004 was a different story. Due to 'technical difficulties' 16 of the 22 Sunshine First passengers were allocated seats on the Sunshine Upper Deck. The remaining 6 Sunshine First passengers (of which we were two) and all the original Sunshine Upper deck passengers, who like us had paid for upgrades, were downgraded to economy with no explanation or apologies. Travel City Direct airport representatives were nowhere to be seen and the airline crew couldn't have cared less really. Broken toilets, broken toilet lights, smelly toilets, broken seat tables and lack of entertainment on a very old 747-200 made the return journey even more unbearable. We would never travel with Travel City Direct.

20 October 2004

Air Atlanta 18th September Manchester to Sanford for Travel City Direct, Plane delayed by 22hrs due to technical problems - old 747-200 with no First Class section. Sold upgrade to upper deck which was not available due to passengers who were sold Sunshine first upgrades being accommodated on upper deck. Return journey delayed by 3hours no explanation given, Travel City Totally disinterested in our complaints.

22 October 2004

Gatwick to Sanford 11th September 4hr delay due to technical problems. Return flight 25th September flight cancelled. We were turned away from the airport at 2pm, but at 12pm the flight was still going and on time! Rescheduled to fly Tuesday 28th September at 6.10pm. At 12.pm flight ok and on time at 2pm (after we had returned our hire car) we were told flight was delayed until 12.20am, flight actually took off at 1.30am and they would not tell us until we were on the flight whether we would have to stop en route to refuel. I can't believe these people are still in business!

29 December 2004

The airline from hell! Travelled to Orlando in Oct 04 - Dirty inside, my seat wouldn't stay upright, toilets filthy, 25hour delay on return. Flight worse than a cattle truck, where at least the RSPCA would condemn it. Wrote to the company and eventually got a reply, HA HA they've done it all before. Never again

26 April 2005

Gatwick to Sanford - 7 April 2005. Flew on the old 747-200! Sat second row from the very back on the right. The interior window panel had slipped down and seemed to be pinned together. Around the edge of the window frame you could see daylight to what we assumed to be the exterior window of the plane, there appeared to be no insulation between the interior and exterior window! The horrendous noise from the window left us with a headache before the plane had even moved, never mind the worry about what was going on with the window itself! At no time during the time at the Gate (during emergency procedure presentation) nor any other time in the flight could we hear a word said over the speakers by either crew or pilot! If we had had to evacuate in an emergency the rear people in the plane would have had no chance of hearing what needed to be done. The panelling on the floor was hanging off, and we could see loads of wiring (hardly a good way to instill confidence). We were gibbering wrecks before we left the Gate, hoping the window stayed in place and nothing happened to the wires. The seats were broken, forget seeing the one TV screen miles away, and as for then listening to the music by the headphones instead, no chance, as the stations working were drowned out by the noise from the window! Flight back - 747-200! Changed rows. Seat arm taped with electrical tape, toilets broken and lights not working properly, seat pocket things in front hanging off, couldn't see TV at all due to positioning, and even less music stations worked. Overall interiors of plane very tatty, which makes you spend 9 hours worrying about what's going on everywhere else.

4 April 2005

Flew to Sanford from Manchester on 19 March 2005 and returned 02 Apr. Cabin staff were friendly and efficient but the level of information received

Andy and Wendy
16-05-2005, 02:01
Interesting debate as ever when the subject of TCD raises its head!

I'm sure there must have been some positive reviews too Lucy - I know I posted one as we have been with them 3 times in the last 12 months.

Like someone said earlier, it is all down to personal choice and that is the great thing about travel today.

Go back say 15 years before the advent of the European low-cost airlines (which I suppose TCD may be the nearest equivalent to in some respects for its routes, although I confess I'm no expert) and the world seemed a much more distant (and for many inaccessible) place than it is now.

So it can't be all bad that there are options such as TCD - if nothing else it gives competition to some of the state-subsidised flag carriers (aren't most of the US airlines getting hand-outs of one form or another) and the British airlines (who to be fair have to stand on their own 2 feet).

I'm sure Virgin/BA and others would love to have less capacity on their routes as they could up their prices accordingly and then we would all suffer, including those who would never use TCD?

It would however indeed be boring if we all had the same preferences. "Vive la difference!"

Andy

LiesaAnna
16-05-2005, 02:16
I to Julie aka Lucy have gone through lots of reviews over the last few weeks, we were wanting flights for sept this year, and want cheap flights but with cheap flights i also want to be able to get there in one piece also i fear that some of the cheaper airlines have cramped conditions therefore i would probably need a wheelchair to take my ever so stiff joints off the plane!
i have read over the months of being on Ov about TCD and the way some people have been treated by them was not so nice!

Robert5988
16-05-2005, 03:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:(aren't most of the US airlines getting hand-outs of one form or another) and the British airlines (who to be fair have to stand on their own 2 feet).
[/quote]

I would agree with the thrust of your argument about competition from Low Cost airlines being a good thing.

However your quote above is not accurate. It is USA based Airlines that are in dire financial trouble because they do not get financial help. Some have gone bust and Delta and US airways have been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

BA had debts written off and in fact the USA Government have made official protests that UK(and French) airlines receive an indirect subsidy by the British and French goverments supporting Airbus with funds. That practice started with them giving Concordes to BA and Air France(sorry Lucy)

16-05-2005, 03:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:(aren't most of the US airlines getting hand-outs of one form or another) and the British airlines (who to be fair have to stand on their own 2 feet).
[/quote]

I would agree with the thrust of your argument about competition from Low Cost airlines being a good thing.

However your quote above is not accurate. It is USA based Airlines that are in dire financial trouble because they do not get financial help. Some have gone bust and Delta and US airways have been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

BA had debts written off and in fact the USA Government have made official protests that UK(and French) airlines receive an indirect subsidy by the British and French goverments supporting Airbus with funds. That practice started with them giving Concordes to BA and Air France(sorry Lucy)
[/quote]

Its Ok Robert[msncry]

janice
16-05-2005, 04:17
Well Sammibabe, Hope you got the answer you were looking for!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't want to meet some of this lot in a dark alley [msnwink][msnscared][msnsad][msnoo]. Here's hoping you make the right choice and enjoy your holiday [msnsmile2].

16-05-2005, 10:07
Well Sammibabe, Hope you got the answer you were looking for!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't want to meet some of this lot in a dark alley [msnwink][msnscared][msnsad][msnoo]. Here's hoping you make the right choice and enjoy your holiday [msnsmile2].
[/quote]

Personally Janice I don't frequent 'dark alleys' however I do know a lot about the airline industry and think its only fair people hear the good and the bad so they can make an informed choice[msnsmile2]

If anyone likes to go to Florida for 3-4 weeks at a time TCD don't allow that either[msnwink]

AngelaB
16-05-2005, 11:21
[/quote]

Personally Janice I don't frequent 'dark alleys' however I do know a lot about the airline industry and think its only fair people hear the good and the bad so they can make an informed choice[msnsmile2]

If anyone likes to go to Florida for 3-4 weeks at a time TCD don't allow that either[msnwink]
[/quote]

Yeah thats true. I tried to get a quote for our jaunt in February for 3 weeks an d couldnt get a price.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-05-2005, 15:01
Right - I'm locking this thread as it's going nowhere.