PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick hotels

dannib
19-03-2003, 02:20
We're thinking about staying at hotel the night before our flight from gatwick and leaving our car there for the duration of our holiday, anyone know of any decent hotels in surrounding area? at not too much expense??

just thought it'd be easier than trying to get to gatwick rush hour of monday morning!!!

thanks

blott
19-03-2003, 02:44
Dannib, you could try https://www.holidayextras.co.uk/CoastDirect/ABCDirect.ASP?profile=holidaywarehouse&agent=wx185 but they look a bit pricey, depending on how many rooms you need.

athurstance
19-03-2003, 02:58
We always stay at the Travelodge. It is very good value at less than £50 a night for a family room and it is right at the airport. We use Tudor Rose car parking which is off the same roundabout - they are nothing to do with each other but we find this works perfectly. Tudor Rose take you to the terminal in your own car the when you come back from holiday they bring your car to the terminal for you. No nasty shuttle buses - we found it invaluable when the kids were in child seats and still use them as they are so good.

Angela

fiona
19-03-2003, 03:11
When we last stayed overnight we stayed at the Copthorne. We booked through Thomas Cook because (can you believe?) it was cheaper through them than booking direct - even on the net! It was just over £70 a couple of years ago.

They have a fabulous family room that easily slept 4, great food, free parking for 3 weeks, and a bus to and fro.

http://www.copthornegatwick.activehotels.com/EZS

Carla
19-03-2003, 05:07
We have often stayed in both the Renaisance and the Moat House (close together near the North Terminal). Of the two I prefer the Renaisance and we usually get a lovely family room plus parking for around GB£99.

These two hotels let you leave your car in their car parks and share a courtesy coach which goes to the North and South terminals at half-hourly intervals. It is best to book your places on the coach, to catch your flight, when you arrive at the hotel.

If you arrive back home on a weekday, during rush-hour, you can then have a nice leisurely breakfast at the hotel before attempting the M25.

Mo
19-03-2003, 20:44
We use the Hilton on South Terminal. It's right on the airport & includes 15 days parking.

We usually go over to check in, then go back to the Hotel for a leisurely breakfast before heading for the departure lounge. Gets the holiday off to a good start:)

Much like Fiona has found, it is usually cheaper booking through an agent than direct with the hotel. At Xmas we were quoted £157 by the hotel but only paid £120 through floridacarhire.com

Ruth
19-03-2003, 21:38
We use the Meridian but I confess don't need the parking so don't know if they include it or not.

steph_goodrum
19-03-2003, 23:00
We use the Travel Inn at the north terminal,(£50 for a family room) we don't have the parking as we won't drive back from the airport, we always get picked up in case of jet lag. If you're flying with Virgin they've now reintroduce the twilight checkin, so you can check in from 3pm-9pm the afternnon before you fly, we usually do this then you don't have to be at the airport until 40 mins or so before your flight, we're always there wll before that but it means we can stay in be till about 9 rather than rush to get up at 7.30

Matt
19-03-2003, 23:04
I'm staying at the Hilton the night before Good Friday, and it cost about £10 more than the parking. I think it was £111.00 for the night and 15 days parking, although I'm going for 18nts, but do get a 30% discount on the 3 extra days off of the gate price.

Don't forget, if your flying with Virgin, then you can check your cases in the night before your flight, get your boarding cards, and then stroll across the connecting bridge 45 mins before your flight!!

I think its well worth it. Get to have a lay in as well.

Enjoy.

Matt

Claire
20-03-2003, 12:55
Hello

We too are staying at the Hilton when we go next week. £110 for the night (triple room), including 15 days parking. As Matt says, it is very handy for the Virgin twilight check-in and no 4.00 am departure from home!!

One tip - don't book direct with the hotel, use a search on the net (and check a few of those, as they charge vastly different prices).

CLAIRE

dannib
21-03-2003, 00:46
thanks everyone, I am looking into to your suggestions to see what I can come up with.

thanks again