PDA

View Full Version : Do private or international schools exsist in FL

07-05-2005, 22:46
If anyones know the answer I would be very grateful??[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
07-05-2005, 22:54
The schooling in Florida, I am told is poor. People that can afford it send there kids to private schools, which there are many of. I know this as I asked the question myself when we first bought the villa, you never know there might be small CDVs in the future!

Not sure about International Schools through. Esprit will be able to tell you more when she comes on.;)

florida4sun
08-05-2005, 01:39
There are many 'private schools'in Florida. Be very careful when choosing as some of them are strange to say the least.....

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]

08-05-2005, 02:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
There are many 'private schools'in Florida. Be very careful when choosing as some of them are strange to say the least.....

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]
[/quote]

Can you elaborate?

esprit
08-05-2005, 05:35
Why would you need an International School?? I can understand that in Spain or somewhere as your kids dont speak the language, but here we do (sort of) and there are loads of British kids in the ordinary schools. If you want international qualifications, I heard of one school that does the baccalaureat. Private schools, yes there are, some are run by the Church and weird sects as well as mainstream, perhaps that is what Martin means.

florida4sun
08-05-2005, 14:14
Julie is right, there are some very wierd church and sects that run private schools (quite a few).
We were quite willing to spend money on schooling and could not find anywhere more suitable than the local elementary school. Even so this was not pefect, the school week is very repetative and not challenging at all.
If you have kids who struggle in the UK they will excel in the USA because the schooling is 2 to 3 years behind. The problem is when when your kids are excelling in the UK as they will get very bored very quickly. Another problem we found is that they treat children like small children all the way through to 18 years of age. Sit down, take in what we tell and do not ask any questions. Mine were forever getting warnings for nothing more than being inquisitive/interested in the current subject[msnsad].
Before we left for FLorida both enjoyed school. While in Florida they 'hated school' and found it stifling and boring. Now we are back in the UK they cannot wait to get out of the door in the morning and get glowing reports:). We found many brits were having the same problems we did. High school is another story and luckily we never got that far.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Why would you need an International School?? I can understand that in Spain or somewhere as your kids dont speak the language, but here we do (sort of) and there are loads of British kids in the ordinary schools. If you want international qualifications, I heard of one school that does the baccalaureat. Private schools, yes there are, some are run by the Church and weird sects as well as mainstream, perhaps that is what Martin means.
[/quote]

08-05-2005, 16:15
Its not for me its for my cousin her children have lived in Hong Kong and Singapore (went to Private International Schools) and at the moment at Private schools in England and yes they are excelling at school, they would only be there for a few years as its a secondment with her husbands job so would want education to be at the same standards[msnscared]

esprit
08-05-2005, 21:29
LOL!! Floridas education sytem isnt the best. Other parts of the US are better. Matt who was pretty average in the UK bacame Einsteinian on moving here. Investigate all private schools closely, my son was looking at a private college, until we found out that it was run by the Seventh Day Adventist Church and we were going to have to pay for nine hours of religious studies per week compulsorily.

08-05-2005, 21:35
Thanks Julie I have told her and I think they will re think this secondment if this is the case, the children have had enough of living overseas anyway and want to stay in the UK[msnscared]

flyrr100
30-05-2005, 01:47
We are getting more and more Magnet Schools opening here. They are schools that specialize in certain subjects. Some are geared torwards more technical areas, and others more academic areas.
I'm looking at a computer oriented school in Sanford for my 13 year old whan he reaches 9th grade.
They are public, but have input from private industry.

chrizzy100
30-05-2005, 02:39
My son goes to a technical high school in MA......they have to pass exams to get in....and they always have long waiting lists.....my sons school has 200 still waiting to get in.....but normal High school would of bored my son silly.....he does all the same school work as a normal high school..but he has to do it in half the time...because they have 2 weeks of shop each month....IT car repair....childcare.....cooking....etc.......

30-05-2005, 13:20
I must admit it was one of the main things that has put us off moving to the states, we have had a couple of chances to go in the past and if it had just been me and hubby I think we would have given it a chance but when you have children its a whole different ball game. I am bad enough when it comes to schools in the UK and have spend a fortune on Private schools and with 5 children and the youngest staring pre school in Sept we will be paying for years to come, but that is my choice and I know Im a paranoid mother LOL!!![msnwink]