PDA

View Full Version : Nervous and stressed about Florida trip

netmum
18-03-2003, 17:32
We are about to embark on our 9th trip to the States (4th with children), flying in two weeks with AA to Miami, staying in a villa in Orlando for three weeks. Although I love going, I feel more stressed about going each year, mainly due to:

1) DVT - I have varicose veins and healthwise have not been feeling great for a while now (although the doctors say it is just stress), so worry about my health whilst flying and abroad.[V]

2) Threat to security during flight

3) Last year my son was sick all the way home, so worried that he will be sick again for 9 hours!![xx(]

4) The 'mystery illness' that is emerging at the moment.

Once I get there I will be ok (until I worry about coming home).

Is anyone else going soon? Has anyone else thought about cancelling or changing dates?

Any reassurance or advice greatfully received!![8D], as I am starting to wonder if it is worth all the stress.

Rebecca

athurstance
18-03-2003, 17:42
We go to Orlando in 19 days although we're flying this weekend aswell but only to Jersey. We'll be in Florida at the same time.
I'm not worried particularly. Some tips.

1) For avoiding problems with DVT - which is still very rare - make sure you drink plenty of water, don't drink alcohol, take 1/2 an aspirin every morning for a few days before and after the flight (unless you have a stomach ulcer or similar), get up and walk around as often as you can (I get up and go to the loo every hour or so and wander about a bit stretching in that larger bit of space at the back of the plane), wear support socks (you can get them at Boots at the airport if you forget to get some before), rotate your ankles every 15 minutes, and point and flex your feet - this helps to get the blood flowing.

2) The risk of anything happening are so small as not to worry about. Statistically you are far more likely to be killed on the way to the airport in your car (and also it is true that statistically you are more likely to be kicked to death by a donkey than killed in an air crash).

3) Children do sometimes get sick on flights if they have other minor illnesses such as a cold or blocked ears so try treating any of these if they show up during your holiday. As with all things with children they are very unpredictable and chances are it was just a one off and he'll be fine.

4) The nasty pnuemonia bug which is present in Hong Kong has only shown itself outside HK so far in health professionals who were directly treating patients infected. There was a professor on the news last night saying there is absolutely no reason to worry about this when travelling by air.

These days when we all travel so much - and so much further than before - there always seem to be worries and scare stories going around. You know - because you've made 9 trips already - that it's perfectly safe.
Have a great holiday

Angela

roger
18-03-2003, 17:45
We are going in 2 weeks.

I can't really comment about the DVT, apart from follow the exercises suggested on the plane.

In terms of security, personally I think now is probably safer than it has ever been to fly - we have flown to the US 7 times since September 11th, and security is VERY tight.

My daughter (Charlotte) has started getting sickness each time we fly (only coming home) - we are just going to make sure she has some travel sickness tablets this time.

The mystery illness - I wouldn't worry - I rekon you have more chance of winning the Lottery Jackpot then contracting that illness. You could get that whether in the UK or US, and I believe most cases are with people who have been to the far East recently.

Part of the fun of a holiday to me is the excitment before hand, so don't ruin it by worrying! Just look forward to it.

Biggus
18-03-2003, 17:49
Netmum,
We are going this Sat morning - flying AA to Orlando via Miami, then returning via Boston. Yes it is in the back of my mind that things might go horribly wrong in the Gulf, but 6 months planning and a large wedge of cash is too much to lose, not once have we considered changing dates or cancelling - I will not be beaten by a terrorist threat - it is the uncertainty and concern that the terrorist elements around the world feed off. I am a firm believer in fate and 'whatever will be will be' - if it is my time to go then so be it!! 9/11 happened when we were last in the US and that didn't stop me having fun - I felt somewhat guilty while a nation mourned, but the 'they will not beat me' attitude saw us through. Roll on a fantastic trip this time around.

janny
18-03-2003, 17:53
Hi Netmum whilst I am not a medical person I feel sure that the more you worry about your trip in the next two weeks the worse things wiil seem .Try to concentrate on the fabulous time you and your family are going to have when you are in Florida.
Make sure you move around the plane at least once an hour on your flight and keep yourself cool.
Security has never been tighter in the airports as it is now and chances of something untoward happening is minute.
The fact that your son was ill all the way home last time was probably just one of those things but it may be worth getting some travel sickness medicine to give him before you return.

As far as I have heard the mystery illness is based in the east and is in this country because someone from an eastern country had already contracted it.

Spend the next two weeks conjuring up pictures of sunshine , mickey,and of your children having the time of their lives.Try to put all other thoughts out of your -not easy I know-and be reassured that all the theme parks have great security measures in place so you can enjoy your holiday.
As a final thought-If you cancel or change your dates then all the things you are worried about now will still be there-won't they?

fiona
18-03-2003, 17:55
Hi Rebecca

Can I suggest you get these sexy new stockings that are all the rage in Boots - wait til you see them! They are similar to those used after an operation in hospital and are very good for stopping the swelling up of the ankles.

My GP suggested I take an aspirin before flying, and as I have a history of internal bleeding and have been advised not to take aspirin, he suggested the new one that is coated in something specifically for people with these problems - Boots are very helpful - you'd think I worked for them or something!

When your sone was sick was it travel sickness or something else? If it was travel sickness then you can give him something for it. If it was a bug probably lots of reassurance and distraction of something to do will help.

Security - our experience is that everything is being searched very carefully and you do feel very secure nowadays. (We last travelled out in January.)

Regarding the new "bug" - at the moment it seems to be coming from the Far East. Once they can locate the bugs in it then they can treat it. It seems that the elderly and those already ill are particularly vulnerable, everyone else will feel rather ill but will make full recovery - or at least that is what I saw on the BBC news yesterday.

Hope this helps. And relax - you'll have a great time!!

Claire
18-03-2003, 17:57
Hello Rebecca

Sorry you are feeling so stressed.

I am going to Orlando next week (taking my mother and father) and have no intention of cancelling - if the plane is going, we will be on it!

With regard to DVT, have you thought of buying some of the flight socks? You can buy them at Boots or any chemist and, whilst they do make your feet a bit hot, I always wear them for peace of mind and an added bonus is that my feet do not swell at all. I also take a small aspirin for a couple of days before I fly to thin my blood (remember to take it with food, or it will make you feel horrid). I have a friend who has actually had a DVT. If she wants to fly anywhere, she just makes sure she takes aspirin and wears socks - although she goes a little further and wears the surgical stockings you see people wearing in hospital. They might not look pretty, but if they save your life, who cares.

Whilst you can never be 100% certain of your security during the flight, airlines and airports have done huge amounts recently to try and alleviate this fear. Remember that statistically you are more likely to be killed in your car getting to the airport than you are when flying.

I can't help you with the flying sickness bit, but I know there have been posts on here about travelling with children who are sick. I always take travel pills before a flight - if nothing else they at least help me to sleep for a bit!

The mystery illness is a worry, but I think it is being blown out of all proportion by the media. I work with people who have travelled back from Hong Kong this week and they could not understand what all the fuss was about as they had seen nothing. The problem is that when travelling in a plane passengers are breathing recycled air, so the chances of picking up a cold, etc increase. I understand, however, that airlines have been told to disinfect their aircraft to try and stop this mystery illness from spreading.

So, is all the stress worth it?? You bet it is!! Get on that plane and have a wonderful time.

CLAIRE

imported_n/a
18-03-2003, 18:48
can i suggest although what is going on at the moment it still should not stop you going on your holiday to florida try not to think of all the bad things then once your there really enjoy yourselves i m going in 4 months in the summer months and i wont be worrying about a thing because i cant wait to get away from england for a few weeks.
good luck with your holiday when did you say your flying.

steph_goodrum
18-03-2003, 19:28
Hi Rebecca
Hopefully you are feeling a bit more reassured now with all the positive advice you've received.
DVT can happen anytime, my sisters mil died from it 18 months ago a week after arriving in Devon from Kent, so cars can be just as responsible and when you think how many miles most of us clock up each year we'd never sleep if we worried too much about it.
My friends daughter for 15 years was always travelsick on the way home from holiday but never on the way there, we put it down to a couple of weeks of less sleep and more "treats" fizzy drinks etc than she had when she was at home, we just always made sure there was enough emergency supplies in the way of clothes wipes, bottled water etc to last till we got home and took it in turns to look after her.
As regarding the threat to security either on the flight or when there, a couple of people I've spoken to have said "when your time is up, it's up, and if it my time I'd rather be enjoying a fantastic holiday in the sun than stuck behind my desk at work!" which is a good lesson for us all I think.

phil moloney
19-03-2003, 01:13
Hello Rebecca,
1. DVT do as above and bring the aspirin for the return journey with you, you can get it there but they are not as big into it as we are.
2. Security You'll find the security checks are reassuring.Its probably safer now to travel.
3. My kids get travel sickness with anxiety and overtiredness. Ask your GP, I have been know to give one of them piriton its an antihistamine and it helps to relax him and make him sleep. I use it for his allergies.
4. the mystery illness - Get well rested before you travel Mabe a weeks vitamins? A few good meals and some sunshine in Orlando will have you right coming home.
Enjoy your trip!
Phil

netmum
19-03-2003, 17:23
Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.

I am now feeling much better and looking forward to going much more. I took my son to the docs (he is full of cough and cold!!) and he advised me to use phenegan as a precaution against sickness.

I already have the flight socks and the airogym (hypochondriac!!), and have an appointment with my doctor next week to discuss my worries and the use of asprin whilst away. I will take plenty of water on board and drink carrot juice (I heard it is supposed to be good for oxygen levels whilst flying!)

I think, like most worries, my worries about flying have got worse since having children.

Steph - I think your last comment will have to go on my fridge, because it is so true.

One exciting thing - we haven't told the children yet about the holiday. Something else to look forward to.

Rebecca
[8D]

steph_goodrum
19-03-2003, 17:38
I wish I could be there to see their faces Rebecca. It's great to surprise them isn't it?

netmum
19-03-2003, 17:44
I think it will be a camcorder moment!

We went last Easter and booked a year ahead. They just went on and on about it, watching the free promo video, and I went slowly insane - especially when my daughter caught chicken pox the week before we went [xx(](my son had it whilst we were there)[xx(][xx(]. At least it stopped me from worrying about other things!

Rebecca

blott
19-03-2003, 22:53
I had a guest who didn't tell his three kids where they were going until they got to the airport. They were so excited when they found they were at the Orlando check-in desk! :D

orlandobabe
22-03-2003, 13:56
Rebecca
you can get some brilliant homeopathic travel sickness pills from a good health store. Holland and Barrets may still stock them-but an independednt definitely should. You can also wear a band around your wrist that contains a magnet. I don't know how effective that is-but some swear by it.

As for the flight. I saw a hypnotherapist for my fear of flying and it has helped a lot. You can do pretty much the same by putting on some relaxing music while lying on the bed or a comfy chair and just giving yourself some positive encouragement-telling yourself it will all go well and imagining it doing so.

Or you can also do what I call the 'taps'

You imagine yourself getting onto a plane and you tap 3 times on the underside of each hand, then 3 times above each eyebrow, then 3 times at the side of each eye, 3 times under the nose, 3 times under the mouth, 3 times under each collarbone and finally 3 times under each arm. These are you stress points. I've seen it done on TV and also my friend is a health kiniesiologist and she swears by it.
As you tap-you re-inforce good feelings about yourself such as-
'Although I have a fear of flying I am a good and worthwhile person' or words to that effect.
Picture it getting bumpy as you tap-and notice that you fear levels and anxiety rise. That's normal and fine. At the end of each tapping round-give yourself a number of 1-10 at where you think your fear level is and continue until you start to see the number come down. You can do with this with any fear or phobia-such as snakes, spiders, crowded spaces etc.

There's a website-and I'll post it when I find it

Good luck

orlandobabe
22-03-2003, 14:03
Here it is
http://www.emofree.com/fear.htm

It's called emotive freedom therapy-EFT for short.

It's a good website with plenty of people contributing.

I also found with the hypnotherapy I had that although I went for a specific thing-my fear of flying-it also helped other areas too that I had a problem with.

Good luck and let's hope you get your stress levels down enough-to enjoy the days before you go.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-03-2003, 13:53
Hi Netmum

Regarding DVT I'm not in the medical profession, but have flown when pregnant which apparently makes the blood thicker and very shortly after spine surgery.

In the first instance I was advised to wear the support stockings and on the second trip my surgeon advised asprin and the stockings. Do exercise your ankels etc and get up and walk.

Why not have another chat with your Doctor or Pharmacist.

I have said this elsewhere but cranial osteopathy might help, helps you to relax. A massage before you board would be heavenly!!!

Sarah

Sarah

netmum
24-03-2003, 00:25
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice. I have been advised by doc to take asprin day before flight, for 3 days, and same for return flight. Also to use flight socks and drink lots of water. He checked my legs and told me what symptoms of dvt are.

Got to book my massage now (and stock up on rescue remedy).

Rebecca

orlandobabe
29-03-2003, 15:55
...and homeopathic calc.carb. -that's another fear remedy!

carole7007
29-03-2003, 16:48
Hi Rebecca

We have just flown back, we flew out on 17th March into Miami, security was tight, if getting a connecting flight, be prepared for your bags to be searched, they were looking into everyones.

Also on the US side everyone had to take off their shoes when going through the security checkpoint, all coats, loose jackets and belts.

One the way home 24th March we did Orlando to JKF and then onto Heathrow, security was tight here too, but I would rather it be that way.

Have a wonderful time, and try not to worry.

Love to see the kids faces when you tell them, we did that the very first year we went to ours, it was priceless. We had Christmas day with my family on 21st December and they kept asking why, even on the day, because Grandad is taking us to the airport in the morning !!!! and we gave them an envelope each with some dollars and a picture of the Disney Castle. It was worth keeping it a secret, to see their faces.

steph_goodrum
29-03-2003, 20:21
If you know someone that is going over before, you could even give them some Disney Dollars, you buy them at face value from Guest services and can use them anywhere in Disney. Just adds an extra special edge to it.

imported_n/a
04-04-2003, 23:15
Blag an upgrade on the flight!!! Tell them that it is your anneversary or somehting!!
Extra leg room will decrease the risk of DVT!

We always manage to blag an upgrade... You want to hear some of the stories that we have come out with! lol

dbrook
05-04-2003, 00:06
Some of us are too honest to do that[V]

steph_goodrum
05-04-2003, 01:09
I think the worst example I ever saw of that was on one of the airport programmes where a girl presented herself in tears at checkin and told them she was going to her fathers funeral, they found out from other members of her party that she was just going on holiday the same as the rest of them. I hope she was suitably embarassed when the programme was screened, but you usually find people who can make up a story like that have no conscience anyway.

phil moloney
05-04-2003, 05:48
Nervous and stressed about Florida trip is the heading here. Rebecca appears honest and genuine in her stress. I do not believe that Rebecca would be interested in your plan Delmalam1. Be realistic how can Rebecca in her stress go with this Plan? However she will still be glad she put her question here, what excellent genuine advise she has got.
Phil

SunLover
11-04-2003, 18:24
Netmum - Rather than worrying about what "might" or "could" go wrong, take a leaf from your children's book. Once you see their faces and the excited look in their eyes when you reveal the secret, you can rest assured that they won't have any concerns other than having a great time. That's the great thing about Disney - it makes kids out of all of us !

Go and enjoy ! Everything will be fine !

Chris [8D]

netmum
27-04-2003, 02:00
Hi all,

I have just got back from the most wonderful time in Florida. I took loads of Naturacalm before going, took the recommended asprin, wore my flight socks, and took mediswabs to get rid of nasty sars germs!!!

I was shaking (literally) all the way to the airport, and looking at everyone suspiciously once there. But once we got on the place I forgot all my worries, and just made sure that we didn't watch the news whilst out there.

The weather was fantastic[8D], villa wonderful, Disney magical, and the food [^] (ate too much as usual. Shopped till we dropped and bought another new suitcase to put it in.lol.

The children were sooooo excited and really had a wonderful time. The trip to Florida definitely gets better each time (maybe as the children get older, or as there are more new attractions to see?!)

Was the stress worth it. I can now say definitely, but I don't think I want to go through it again for quite a while. My daughter has exams next year anyway, so we are going to leave it for a while - let the sars thing disappear, and see what happens in the world. But I will definitely miss it next year and will be looking forward to our next visit (stress and all[:X]).

Thanks all for your advice and support. It really helped me. And I will be visiting this forum often to see what everyone else is up to, and maybe offer some advice to others (maybe I qualify as some kind of expert with my xxth visit under my belt!)

I may have to go to the trip reports discussion next as I am full of Florida at the moment!

Rebecca

Ruth
27-04-2003, 03:22
Glad you had a great time Rebecca[8D]

steph_goodrum
27-04-2003, 12:12
I'm glad it all went so well and please do got to the trip reports, as we've said before we can try and reassure guests but there is always the thought that we have a vested interest in the info we give to people. And we all love reading about Florida, sometimes the guests find places we've not been to before and give us tips.

orlandobabe
27-04-2003, 20:51
What exactly are mediswabs?

Glad you had a wonderful time!

netmum
27-04-2003, 22:36
Before we went I was stressed about everything. Then my dh came home and said he wanted to cancel because of the SARS. So I did research on how it was spread. Apparently you can kill the germs with alcohol based wipes (rather than antibacterial). So I went to Boots and asked them if they had any. They sold me some mediswabs, which turned out to be the wipes that are used when you have an injection!!! I think at that point we had gone a little overboard. We did use a couple but came home with most of them.

Rebecca