PDA

View Full Version : Benson days

porky
16-02-2002, 15:16
Any aviation enthuthiasts who are out in Florida for Sun N Fun might be interested in a smaller event the week before.
From April 3-6th down In Wauchula they have what is called Benson Days. Here you will find lots of gyrocopters on display and flying. They're a very friendly lot of people, the event is fairly small and a lot more personal than Sun N Fun but as much fun can be had there. Owners are only to happy to stay and chat about there machines and there's always one or two people around giving flights for cash. Well worth a visit.

Anybody thinking of going who needs directions, just let me know.

Jacqui

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2002, 15:21
We're over on 9th April in time for Sun N Fun as I've always wanted to go to it.

Will this be too late for Benson days?

Where's Wauchula?

John

porky
16-02-2002, 15:56
I'm afraid so John. It's nearly always on the week before Sun N Fun which is why we always go out for those 2 weeks.

If you're thinking of going next year I can tell you the 2 weeks to go - we've already booked them so as we make sure noone has our villa. The dates are (weekend to weekend)29th March to 12th April.
Benson days generally starts on the Wednesday so that would make it April 2nd). It really is a great day out, or couple of days if you prefer and it's entirely free.

Jacqui

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2002, 15:57
Hi again

We saw that programme on C4 on Monday. Was very interesting. I'm not sure I'd want to fly a gyro myself as they look a little flimsy for my liking, but no doubt are great fun too!

John

porky
16-02-2002, 18:11
Oh gyros are great fun to fly. Tony Melody, the chap who test flew the one of TV taught hubby to fly. I haven't been up in one of those flimsy ones but I did go for a flight in hubby's 2 seater. That might appeal more to you, similar sort of thing with the rotor blades, prop, keel and rudder but it has a cabin similar to a helicopter. So it was all enclosed, had a fan for the colder weather and in the summer you could take off the doors to let in the cool air. The view out of the front windscreen (for want of a better word) was absolutley terrific. A lot better than through a light aircraft.

Another thing, he also built it himself so he knew it was safe, knew every nut and bolt and bowden cable intimately by the time he'd finished. My poor old hoover knew every inch of the garage floor as well!

Jacqui

sandi
17-02-2002, 21:53
For anyone flying in Florida Wauchula airfield is relatively easy to find.

Assuming you are flying IFR (I Fly Roads/railways) - and are based in the Kissimmee area:

- Fly south west from Kissimmee (say around 210degrees)
- Stay south of the I4
- When past Fantasy of flight turn SSW - pass Winterhaven and Bartow
- You will pass to the east of Lakeland - once south of it you wll see large gravel extraction plants
-Pick up the freight rail line - single track but easily visible
- follow the track for about 20 miles and Wauchula airfield will appear on your RHS. It has a single runway running north/south.
- traffic is pretty light here - there is a unicom frequency - but it do not expect a reply.

- Wauchula is laid back - the control office appears to be the managers home!
- It has the cheapest avgas in the area
- there is a small avaition museum here - DC3,F86, UH1B, CH53, C172!

- The return flight is also easy - just take off headiung north and either follow the rail line or follow I17 that will take you back up to Bartow/Winterhaven
- Once past these the I4 will appear - right turn and call up Orlando.

The flight should take around 30 minutes from Kissimmee.