PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines Gatwick to Orlando via Atlanta

paulm
03-05-2005, 16:47
Hello All.

Sometime ago I booked my family on Delta Airlines Gatwick to Orlando via Atlanta which at the time was using a Boeing 777 with seatback entertainment system with multiple choices on the transatlantic legs .

Now Delta have changed the plane to a Boeing 767 (NO seatback entertainment).

Has anyone RECENTLY flown the Gatwick to Atlanta transatlantic route on a Delta Boeing 767 ?

If so what was the entertainment like ?

Also was the food any good ?

regards

Paul

03-05-2005, 16:51
If you booked the flight because it was a 777 etc then I would expect some kind of compensation - this happened to us a few years ago with Virgin, we made such a fuss that they ended up giving all passengers a wallet full of cash to buy toys for the trip over ie Game Boys etc[msnwink]

wilfy
03-05-2005, 22:10
Paul,
we flew with delta over the easter period. The in-flight entertainment was via the tv hanging over the aisle. I cannot remember what the films were either way as i don't bother to watch them. Food on the way out, hmm, the chicken was poor, but on the way back fine.

I think trying to persuade Delta for a bag of goodies won't wash, as they've been flying 767's on this route for over a year now.

domster
03-05-2005, 23:40
It is always a shame when companies change planes to older ones. I would have thought they would use newer ones on longer routes.

DOM

04-05-2005, 00:04
I think trying to persuade Delta for a bag of goodies won't wash, as they've been flying 767's on this route for over a year now.

We were told that when we made a fuss but we were successful, if it was a 777 when you booked then they have a case to answer - go for it you have nothing to lose[msnwink]

emm
04-05-2005, 00:09
I have just flown that route. Out to Orlando on 18th April and back again on the 26/27th. We flew on 777s on all but one of the legs - the Atlanta to Orlando one was changed from a 777 to a 767 at the last minute. I am sure the 767 had seat back screens but they weren't used for the short 'hop'. The food will surely be of the same quality whichever plane you are on? I thought it was fine, and there was certainly plenty of it. The breakfast on the way home was better than I have seen on many flights - orange juice, bagel with cream cheese or jam, granola bar and a banana. They plied us with plenty of water, tea and coffee.

Just a thought - would the Delta website have details of the entertainment?

wilfy
04-05-2005, 03:59
well i'll be [msnsad], when we booked for the flight for easter saturday it was a 767, and when we arrived it was a 767. Not fair...!!.[xx(] i was getting quite good at tetris.. makes a change from hearts.

Food wise, this was the first time that we've had duff food with Delta, and we've been flying with them for a good few years now.

Mo Green
04-05-2005, 13:27
For quite a few years we have flown with Delta from Gatwick to Florida via Atlanta and have no complaints about the food although we usually choose the pasta option from the menu.

Can't really comment on the entertainment as I prefer the luxury of several hours with a good book.

Ana
05-05-2005, 01:34
Delta are fine for short internal flights but don't find them the best for transatlantic. Sometimes I have to go to Atlanta but always now go via New York with Virgin. We do this to Orlando now too - when the direct flights are too expensive [msnsmile]

CarolAnn
26-09-2005, 14:46
Ok. Fess up time!!! We are doing an unknown route to Florida in a couple of weeks, and I swore i would only do direct flights a few years ago, but needs must, and we are going to Florida again, so I know i shouldn't complain!!
We are flying with Delta (never used them before), Gatwick/Cincinatti/Tampa and on the return, Tampa/Atlanta/Gatwick[msneek] I am slightly daunted by the thought of it to be honest, I have vibes that the outbound flight may be the worse? Has anyone flown this route? Not over bothered by the food or the entertainment, just the length of the journey and the quality of the flight really[msnscared]
Any pointers other than what has already been on this thread appreciated:)

emm
26-09-2005, 15:13
We found Delta perfectly good, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I can't think of anything negative to say about my experience with them.

wilfy
26-09-2005, 15:23
Carol,
we've done the orlando/cincanatti/gatwick route and if anything cincinatti is less busy than orlando. We had no problems. We actually got bumped from the flight in Cincinatti (anyone want 600 bucks to go tomorrow? - we weren't first in line either). Lovely place, we caught a bus to the downtown area for a day's mooching, but next time we'll hire a car and go exploring.

Katys Grandad
26-09-2005, 16:41
i'd be much more concerend with Delta's financial position than I would be about seat back TV's. They have recently filed for bankruptcy and have been hard hit by the recent hurricanes because their main operation is centred on the South East of the USA. The closure of several airports in the region has had a huge imnpact upon their profits.

blott
26-09-2005, 16:49
Delta filed for Chapter 11 which is protection from bankruptcy so they should be operating normally. There's a lot of info about it and their future plans on their website.

We've flown Delta a few times Manchester via Atlanta and they were perfectly fine. We had no complaints, service and staff were OK.

Macka
26-09-2005, 17:57
We've done Delta via Atlanta. On the return, severe thunderstorms and windsheer grounded every flight. And I mean every flight! It was like in the movies where all the departure boards go cancelled all the way down.

There was utter chaos. People were literally fighting each other to get on the courtesy hotel buses to get somewhere to stay overnight. We had our elderly parents with us, and got a Sheraton bus after a real scrummage I think some took pity on us. Delta were useless. No advice, no vouchers for a hotel they lost our luggage for 3 days. Had to fly Delta to Newark then Continental to Manchester. The cabin crew were rude and unhelpful.

On the outward journey we got an upgrade, and had a really lovely flight, great seats, and friendly, helpful crew.

So, my point then is, when you've got 10 thousand angry people on your back, you're not going to be able to provide a memorable experience. Everyone can have a bad day.

Don't worry about your flights. It'll be graet or it won't, but if it's not, it's not the end of the world, vote with yout feet next time around. Don't let it spoil your holiday.[^] I reckon it'll be great Paul.

CarolAnn
26-09-2005, 18:24
Thanks for various experiences, overall , sounds ok! Don't mind getting 'Bumped', either, as long as I am NOT in the aircraft at the time[msnwink] They have changed the plane a number of times from Cincinatti to Tampa, I think the last letter said we are now down to a 100 seater plane!![msneek] John is a lousy flyer at the best of times, so I am always just impressed that he gets on the flight!! I always hope the day he freezes and can't get on the plane...we are stuck in Florida, and not London[msnwink]

dawn
26-09-2005, 19:44
We flew Delta via Atlanta in February. No problems at all. The crew were maybe more 'mature' than we would normally expect, but I quite like that. It was quite nice to get off and stretch our legs:)

wilfy
26-09-2005, 19:49
When i told Sarah we would be coming back via Cincanatti in a smaller plane than normal, she asked to see a photo.
I couldn't resist it, so i printed a piccy of an old tiger-moth. After being duly slapped, i produced an actual photo, which she claimed wasn't much bigger. It was a twin engine (at the tail) sort. 2x2 seating. A small snack as it was 2 1/2 hours if i remember correctly.

Katys Grandad
26-09-2005, 20:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Delta filed for Chapter 11 which is protection from bankruptcy so they should be operating normally. There's a lot of info about it and their future plans on their website.

We've flown Delta a few times Manchester via Atlanta and they were perfectly fine. We had no complaints, service and staff were OK.
[/quote]

Yes, thanks for correcting me. It is indeed a Chapter 11 situation. Nevertheless, that won't guarantee profitability for Delta who are suffering from the impact of the hurricanes, fierce competition from low cost carriers out of Atlanta (particularly AirTran) and the high cost of oil.

The industry view is that sooner or later 1 of the US Legacy carriers will go under and, at the moment, Delta is at the top of most people's list.

One immediate response has been for Delta's frequent flyer members to 'burn' their miles for the fear of losing all the benefits they have accumulated. Delta refuse to give an assurance that the miles will be honoured indefinitely. If anybody thinks Delta are sound look at the share price. In June over $4 but today just 87 cents.

I won't be booking a Delta flight anytime soon.

CarolAnn
26-09-2005, 20:17
I think if I produced a photo like that Wilf, John just wouldn't go[msnwink] He has only just got on the flight each year we go to Florida, he has been twice more than me (Less said about that!!), so he must be at 17 times now (yet he still dreads the flights). The smaller plane is the main issue for him. I dread the getting on and off and not knowing exactly where we are going(especially when we are tired)I think carrier wise, we be fair we have had some "Not so good" experiences on a couple of the well known carriers. BA being my worst flight ever to Orlando!!! I think it must be my age in part, when I was in my 20's (last week...yeah right)I barely give these details a second thought!!

emm
26-09-2005, 20:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn
We flew Delta via Atlanta in February. No problems at all. <span style="color:red">The crew were maybe more 'mature' than we would normally expect, but I quite like that</span id="red">. It was quite nice to get off and stretch our legs:)
[/quote]

I noticed that too - I thought it was great actually!

CarolAnn
26-09-2005, 22:37
Agree Emm:) I can work with "mature"..no issues there[msnwink]

27-09-2005, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
When i told Sarah we would be coming back via Cincanatti in a smaller plane than normal, she asked to see a photo.
I couldn't resist it, so i printed a piccy of an old tiger-moth. After being duly slapped, i produced an actual photo, which she claimed wasn't much bigger. It was a twin engine (at the tail) sort. 2x2 seating. A small snack as it was 2 1/2 hours if i remember correctly.
[/quote]

Was it one of these?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mach 2/2005926201150_895734.jpg

Embraer ERJ-135

27-09-2005, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm
We flew Delta via Atlanta in February. No problems at all. <span style="color:red">The crew were maybe more 'mature' than we would normally expect, but I quite like that</span id="red">. It was quite nice to get off and stretch our legs:)
[/quote]

I noticed that too - I thought it was great actually!
[/quote]

Mature can also equal lots of experience[msnwink][msnwink]

Katys Grandad
27-09-2005, 00:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by paulm
Hello All.

Sometime ago I booked my family on Delta Airlines Gatwick to Orlando via Atlanta which at the time was using a Boeing 777 with seatback entertainment system with multiple choices on the transatlantic legs .

Now Delta have changed the plane to a Boeing 767 (NO seatback entertainment).

Has anyone RECENTLY flown the Gatwick to Atlanta transatlantic route on a Delta Boeing 767 ?

If so what was the entertainment like ?

Also was the food any good ?

regards

Paul
[/quote]

Just to return to the original point, Delta operate more than 1 flight Gatwick-Atlanta each day. The earlier outbound and return always seems to be a 777 whereas the other flight(s) are on 763's. I wonder if what has happened is that you have been moved to the later flight rather than a change of plane.

If that is the case then you might have a case to change back. I wouldn't be over optimistic on compensation for a change of plane though.

Jo
27-09-2005, 01:11
We flew this route with Delta. I actually like flying indirect as it breaks the journey , and when you arrive in Orlando you get grab your luggage and go as immigration is done at the port of entry.

Oh and it saves you loads of money - which was my main motivation.I'd rather spend that on nice accomodation I will use for 2 weeks than a plane I am on for a few hours

We were bumped off the 777 to the 767 last Easter ( $200 bucks per person - inclding the children's tickets to go 90 minutes later). We lost out on our seat back entertainment , but I always bring our own things to amuse us , in case the you get the seat back that doesn't seem to work.

wilfy
27-09-2005, 01:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mach 2/2005926201150_895734.jpg

Embraer ERJ-135
[/quote]

Something like that, about 100 seats.

Macka
27-09-2005, 11:54
We flew Delta via Atlanta in February. No problems at all. The crew were maybe more 'mature' than we would normally expect, but I quite like that. It was quite nice to get off and stretch our legs:)
[/quote]

It's a standing joke in the U.S. about the maturity of Delta air crew. I've seen a few U.S. Comedians doing gags about them. I concur, ours weren't exactly spring chickens. But very nice on the way out.:)

dawn
27-09-2005, 13:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
Mature can also equal lots of experience[msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]
Absolutely![msnsmile2]