PDA

View Full Version : Children Flying to Miami with AA

netmum
12-03-2003, 14:31
Hi all,

I have just read all the comments on 'flying to orlando'. We are flying from Heathrow to Miami with two young ones (3 and 6 years). We have been every year with different carriers. Just wondered whether anyone had any experience/advice of flying transatlantic with AA with young children. I have heard that they no longer do children's meals and that there is no children's pack or children's video channels!!!

Just wondering how much 'entertainment' and food to take on board with us. Last year with USAirways they were great. Lots of channels and a pack of goodies, and a great meal and snacks. But not enough space.

This year we have prebooked the bulkhead seats - it this the best option?

Rebecca

fiona
12-03-2003, 16:21
AA give the most room regarding seats. We flew out just after Christmas and I didn't notice any children's pack, but that is not to say they are not there. Food was not very exciting, so you may find it better to take sandwiches with you that you know they like!

There was plenty of channels and a kids one so I don't think that side will be a problem.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-03-2003, 17:23
We've never had a childrens pack from AA - in fact the only US airline we have ever had one from is US Airways and I note they do longer do them either as there was no sign of them when we went in December last year.

Lesley S
12-03-2003, 18:37
We certainly never got a childrens pack when we flew with USAirways, this must have been one of their cutbacks, ie., money saving ideas. Never flown with AA, but will give anyone a try if they offer reasonable flights.

Debs
12-03-2003, 21:24
We travelled with AA over New Year with Fiona. There were no childrens meals and no kids packs.

I would suggest lots of writing activies, colouring, stories on a walkman is also a good idea - Gameboy (I guess that depends on your children's ages). We also have a collection of small travel games (they do a good selection in W H Smith or Woolworths) which also helps amuse my two. Then of course there is the never ending supply of munchies :D

netmum
14-03-2003, 02:10
Thank you all for your advice and comments.

I will spend the next two weeks getting together a goodie bag for each of them (any maybe one for myself if I have time!)

Last time we went, my three year old was sick all the way home. I'm not sure if it was a bug or travel sickness. He was fine on the outward flight, but as soon as we got off the homeward flight he stopped being sick and was fine again. Not sure whether to give him some anti-sickness stuff. Anyone used this on their children before?

Rebecca

Ann
14-03-2003, 02:34
Try the wrist bands they seem to help if your child will keep them on
also a tip i got from a travel sick lady put a plaster over the belly button dont laugh it worked for her and i tried it on my kids on the way home one made it all the way the other only slightly sick on the landing :D

chris
14-03-2003, 13:53
Never heard of the belly button one, I'll have to try it.
We have had cases of our children being sick up to 7 times on an Orlando flight. This time Jet (aged 13) had made a new year resolution that she wasn't going to be travel sick any more and managed it. Peter (aged 9) did it just once on each flight so a big improvement.
Try a dose of 'phenegans', about 30 mins to an hour before travelling. It worked for us until they became immune to it. It is usually used for hives and other allergic conditions. It also has the advantage of making them very drowsy.

imported_n/a
14-03-2003, 14:36
if you are a bit scared of flying to orlando or have young children that get scared travel with british airways or virgin they can ensure you a very safe journey to the sunshine state.

athurstance
14-03-2003, 17:15
Virgin and BA are good because they fly direct. They have good entertainment facilities - seat back tv's are really useful when you have children travelling with you. We usually fly Virgin - might aswell stick with one airline if you fly regularly to get the frequent flyer miles and on the whole are happy with them.
We like to sit at the back although these seats seem to be getting more and more popular.

Angela

netmum
15-03-2003, 12:35
I have seen the wrist bands but weren't sure if they worked. Worth a try. I will also try the belly button thing!! - if they let me :-)

Anything is better than holding a sick bag for 8 hours and changing clothes three times!

Rebecca

honeybee
15-03-2003, 13:01
I have heard the wrist bands are excellant, my mother in law only has to travel 3 miles down the road in my car and she throws up! Must be my driving or something!!! My children now say to her, your not going to be sick are you nanna!

Those wrist bands are apparently very good for people who have moring sickness as well I have been told.

honeybee

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-03-2003, 13:04
The plaster on the belly button puts me in mind of my own childhood. I was terribly travel sick so each time I got in the car (never ever went on a plane:() I had to ensure that was seated on some magic brown paper. Dad would put the required "magic influence" on the paper and this had a 95% success rate.

Given that brown paper is no longer a household store cupboard item you could use any old newspaper or comic.

Private message me if you require details of the magic spell:D.

Worth a try as non-invasive and cheap.

Sarah

Carla
15-03-2003, 17:42
If you use any of the tablets to stop sickness then don't put them into a juice drink. My mum gave me mine in Ribena a few times and to this day I cannot stand either the smell or taste of anything blackcurrant, as it brings back some deep down unpleasant memories!!!