PDA

View Full Version : south facing pool

blackpoolowl
24-04-2005, 13:41
right
can we not have arguments in this thread. how essensial is a south facing pool? i have gone for the mid-range villa £1200 ish (i had over 100 villas contact me , most were around the £1200 mark.....i know some are dearer but we wont go ther again!!!!!).
now i am sorting into communitys, pool direction, extras etc.
which are the best communitys....i know you will all say yours!
any more info
terry

Newhomebuyer
24-04-2005, 13:57
All the questions which you are now addressing are really a matter of personal preference.
Each villa owner bought their home because in their opinion that was the best location.
A south facing pool may matter if you are going in the winter months and are keen to have maximum sun all day. In the summer time most homes get the sun all day, as it is high in the sky. They don't call it the Sunshine State for nothing.
Where abouts in Blackpool are you Terry? I work on Common Edge Road near the airport.

dawn burley
24-04-2005, 14:08
Probably the best thing for you to do is list what you would like in a community and then run this past the community descriptions to try and match these up. There are many communities so I am sure you could find one that matched up. Good luck in your search........

Dawn

Lynne S
24-04-2005, 14:15
Hi Terry,

No one owner can tell you what is best for your families holiday needs. Only you know that [msnwink]Do you want a peaceful community or one with lots of facilities ?This is one price factor.

We did pick a south facing pool for our villa and had to pay a premium for it.We also have a lake view another premium. This was what we wanted as we wish to use our villa in all months and have sun from sunrise to sunset.This is not the top of everyone's list. That's why there is a villa out there for everyone.
During the summer which ever way the pool is facing you will get sun as it is so high in the sky.

Also look at what the villa has to offer you and the location of it, is it close to the things you
want to see and do.

All the owners are really helpful, if you make up a short list then get a little more info from them then pick....Happy hunting[msneek]

carolmc
24-04-2005, 14:24
I don't think the pool direction alone gives the full picture as whether or not you get all day sunshine. Our pool is north facing, but as we are not overlooked and have no two storey homes close by we get the sun on our pool all year around. We have homes behind ours- who technically have a south facing pool, but in reality do not have "full sun" all day since they are surrounded by two storey homes and these cast their own shadow.The only difference at ours is during the Dec. Jan. period we do have "some" shade on the pool deck - but the pool is in full sun.

If you ask the Owner I'm sure they will be only too happy to "fill you in"

blackpoolowl
24-04-2005, 14:43
hiya newhome
we are on hull road near coral island.......not far from you at all. we have a south facing puddle in the back alley which is hot all year round.......as you know blackpool is uks sunshine state!!!!!!lol
terry

Newhomebuyer
24-04-2005, 15:05
:D

Lynnes
24-04-2005, 15:14
When we chose our villa one of the stipulations was that we had a south facing pool and that the villa was not overlooked. These stipulations were for ourselves, we love the sun and privacy. We have found that some people like the south facing pool and some prefer others, sun in a morning or evening. It is all down to personal preference.

pieman790
24-04-2005, 15:35
We have a North Western Facing pool and it gets the sun most of the day.
Most of the villas in our community are single storey and therefore does not block out the sun.

fiona
24-04-2005, 15:57
It depends when you are going, in the summer it doesn't matter, other times of the year it does. When we bought a south-facing pool was important to us which is why it was one our must haves.

If you are asking on here is it really important to you? I would draw up a shortlist of those that meet all your criteria; price, pool, extra facilities that you would like, communities and whittle it down from there. It's usually the pictures that do it for most of us isn't it? You can tell instinctively that you like a place, and as on here owners can show 15 pictures of their villa it gives you a very good idea of what a villa looks like.

Good luck and let us know how you get on[msnsmile2].

LiesaAnna
24-04-2005, 16:27
when we look for a villa we never ever give a thought to what way the pool is facing!!! seems such an insignificant thing when in florida! i would just like to be there regardless, but then am not a great sun worshipper!

chrizzy100
24-04-2005, 18:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blackpoolowl
right
can we not have arguments in this thread. how essensial is a south facing pool? i have gone for the mid-range villa £1200 ish (i had over 100 villas contact me , most were around the £1200 mark.....i know some are dearer but we wont go ther again!!!!!).
now i am sorting into communitys, pool direction, extras etc.
which are the best communitys....i know you will all say yours!
any more info
terry
[/quote]

All communities are nice in their own way.....you'd have to tell people what you're looking for in your holiday....with the pool thats also up to what you and your family want......if I had young kids....I would want a pool in more shade......

chrizzy100
24-04-2005, 18:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carolmc
I don't think the pool direction alone gives the full picture as whether or not you get all day sunshine. Our pool is north facing, but as we are not overlooked and have no two storey homes close by we get the sun on our pool all year around. We have homes behind ours- who technically have a south facing pool, but in reality do not have "full sun" all day since they are surrounded by two storey homes and these cast their own shadow.The only difference at ours is during the Dec. Jan. period we do have "some" shade on the pool deck - but the pool is in full sun.

If you ask the Owner I'm sure they will be only too happy to "fill you in"

[/quote]

We have the same....the people behind us should of had their home built the other way around.........

chris c
24-04-2005, 19:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
when we look for a villa we never ever give a thought to what way the pool is facing!!! [/quote]

I must admit that I have never queried which way the pool faced when I booked villas in the past.

With over 100 villas to choose from, I'm sure that you will be able to find the perfect one for you!!

Ruth
24-04-2005, 20:34
You need to ask the owners of the villas you are considering as it is correct that each pool is different no matter what way it faces. Our pool faces North East but still gets the sun all day as it is a very large pool with a large deck set away from a house which is mainly single storey:)

Cruella DeVilla
24-04-2005, 21:25
Something else to think about in general terms before getting wrapped up in South/North/West/East facing pools. Whatever direction the pool is, does it back onto a road, someone elses villa, lake, conservation. You could have a South facing Villa which backs onto a road and a North facing backing onto a lake or conservation view, only you can decide what suits your needs...happy hunting!
[8D]

jolliffee
24-04-2005, 21:27
We stayed in a Villa last May with a North facing Pool it had enough sun for us, I didn't notice the fact it was North till I was day dreaming and thought Oh!? Think you need work out what you want from a villa and give them a value between 1 to 10 then mark each villa against your weighting add up the numbers an the highest number wins or it shortens the the odds a little.[msnwink]

chrizzy100
24-04-2005, 23:48
If not being overlooked is high on your list.....make sure the Orange Groves....or conservation area will still be there when you arrive.....a lot are being built on over the next few years.....a lake view is a good bet to always be there if you want no-one to overlook you from the back.....

chrizzy100
24-04-2005, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Something else to think about in general terms before getting wrapped up in South/North/West/East facing pools. Whatever direction the pool is, does it back onto a road, someone elses villa, lake, conservation. You could have a South facing Villa which backs onto a road and a North facing backing onto a lake or conservation view, only you can decide what suits your needs...happy hunting!
[8D]
[/quote]

CDV... garage is spelt wrong on your ad......which is looking good....I wanted to see if your landscaping pic were there yet....[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
25-04-2005, 01:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
[8D]
[/quote]

CDV... garage is spelt wrong on your ad......which is looking good....I wanted to see if your landscaping pic were there yet....[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Okley Dokley off to fix it now, obviously had a bit of a stutter there!! Not had a chance to put them on yet Chrissy just been a mad time recently.

CarolAnn
28-04-2005, 16:17
If not being overlooked is high on your list.....make sure the Orange Groves....or conservation area will still be there when you arrive.....a lot are being built on over the next few years.....a lake view is a good bet to always be there if you want no-one to overlook you from the back.....
[/quote]
Good point Chrizzy, I shockingly learnt recently, that there were some owners on various communities who had paid for conservation views when they selected their lots, and less than 2 years later the conservation had been "removed" and almost everything from unexpected town house building to unexpected roads will now pass by these peoples pool screens! And I assume no refund for them either (eekkk)
On the original question,about South facing, I would pick South as at least one of my criteria, mainly to have a start point of listing qualities that I personally like. We are South facing at home too. If for example, I planned to spend a week plus, sitting by the pool and doing nothing else, I would want private ( no one watching me sun bath ) and or a view ( such as a lake )would be nice. Then again, if I wanted to lay in the sun ALL day everyday, I would probably opt for a beach holiday[msncool][msnwink] But, if I was planning to max out the all that Florida had to offer, some elements of the pool issues would be less important I think. The good thing is, so much choice:)

Cruella DeVilla
28-04-2005, 20:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]
Good point Chrizzy, I shockingly learnt recently, that there were some owners on various communities who had paid for conservation views when they selected their lots, and less than 2 years later the conservation had been "removed" and almost everything from unexpected town house building to unexpected roads will now pass by these peoples pool screens! And I assume no refund for them either (eekkk)
On the original question,about South facing, I would pick South as at least one of my criteria, mainly to have a start point of listing qualities that I personally like. We are South facing at home too. If for example, I planned to spend a week plus, sitting by the pool and doing nothing else, I would want private ( no one watching me sun bath ) and or a view ( such as a lake )would be nice. Then again, if I wanted to lay in the sun ALL day everyday, I would probably opt for a beach holiday[msncool][msnwink] But, if I was planning to max out the all that Florida had to offer, some elements of the pool issues would be less important I think. The good thing is, so much choice:)
[/quote]

Our conservation land is odd and slopes into a wee valley so to speak, not really enough to build anything on though! I know if they try to build on it you can tie them up in litigation for years, they might get it in the end, they might not but at least you can make it as difficult for them as possible.

Depends if they had planned to do something with the land before they sold the plots as conservation then it is fradulant in my opinion.