PDA

View Full Version : Traffic light cameras

blott
22-04-2005, 01:50
Anyone who stays in one of the communities on Poinciana Boulevard be warned that today they were installing cameras at the traffic light junction with the 17/92 and there may be others we haven't spotted!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-04-2005, 02:35
Thanks for the tip Blottie. We'll make sure we look out for them from now on.

CarolAnn
03-05-2005, 18:15
Crikey, I so need to be careful in October,I drove for the first time in Florida this April, and loved it, but didn't venture too far, though I discovered I turned on a light, I shouldn't have, when speaking to my MC, they ALL found it hilarious, needless to say my husband(who wasn't in the car at the time) was NOT amused!! I must stress at this point there were no other cars around at the time, [msnembarrased]

pieman790
03-05-2005, 18:30
I always thought they didnt have speed/traffic light cameras in the US.

Mr G
03-05-2005, 18:51
Just read this in the Osceola gazette dated 22nd April 2005.

quote "With the Kissimmee Police Department gearing up to begin an annual month long red-light running campaign on Monday the Anjelica and Victoria Velez Memorial Traffic Safety act is moving through the Florida Senate and House of Representatives.

The proposed law, named after the two young girls killed at an Orlando intersection last year by a woman who was charged with running a red light while driving a sports utility vehicle, would raise the penalty for running a red light to $125 and increase the number of license points from three to four.

Currently, motorists caught running the light in Kissimmee pay a $115 fine.

It might help a little, said Kissimmee Police Sgt. Jimmy Haddock. But what are the chances that you are going to get caught. You still have to have an officer at the intersection.”

Haddock preferred the use of cameras to cite those running red lights. The cameras snap photos of cars that enter an intersection once the light has turned red and then take a second picture from the back to identify the license plate.

The cameras, which are permitted in 19 states, are outlawed in Florida.

“If they ran a red light they would get caught,” Haddock said." unquote

Looks like they are have a campaign running so this may have something to do with the cameras although the article states cameras are outlawed in Florida!

amy
04-05-2005, 01:23
The camera they use are different to the Gatso you see in the UK, they are small slim video cameras that are mounted high up on the ATS stantions at the intersections.

They can also be played back following a RTC to see who the blameworthy party was.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
I always thought they didnt have speed/traffic light cameras in the US.
[/quote]

blott
04-05-2005, 06:18
As Paul says, the cameras aren't the square blocky type things we have in the UK but more like the surveillance type cameras they have on buildings. They are way up above the traffic lights on the top of the street light posts. Perhaps they're just lulling everyone into a false sense of security Mr G?

I've been told, since I started the thread originally, that all traffic light junctions in the area will be getting these cameras.