PDA

View Full Version : taking grandchildren to florida

sunandfun
18-04-2005, 22:45
We are taking our two granchildren to Florida in June 2005, without their parents - my son's daughter and my daughter's son! Does anyone know if we should have some sort of document or letter from their parents, to say that we are allowed to take them out of the country? The children both have their own passports and my grandson has already travelled to Florida, with us and his mum at Christmas-time. Please advise me, as I have just thought about this and do't want to turn up at the airport with a 5 year old and a four year old, screaming because they can't go!!!

E. Cosgrove
18-04-2005, 23:04
This has been discussed before and I think the general concensus of opinion is that you need a letter of permission from both childrens parents, preferably notarised. The letter should also give you permission to make decisions about any medical treatment they may require in an emergency.
It's quite possible that you may not be asked for these but as you say, better to be safe than sorry.
Have a lovely holiday.

sunandfun
18-04-2005, 23:14
Thanks, E Cosgrove. Sorry, i hadn't realised this had been discussed before. Thank you for the advice and i will certainly do what you suggest.

DaveL
19-04-2005, 02:08
Sorry but "preferably notarised" should be "defiantly notarised" without this seal it's not worth the paper it's written on. I you are signing for medical treatment for a minor who is not your own child then the doctor will want this for their own protection.

Regards Dave

sunandfun
19-04-2005, 02:13
Thank you DaveL.
Its great to have such knowldge at the touch of a keyboard. I will certainly take all advice given.