PDA

View Full Version : Flying

markemma
15-02-2002, 15:01
Over the years we have spent alot of time flying around the Orlando Area seeing many sights from above.
If there are any other pilots out there who wish to discuss flying, places to visit and costs.
Places we have been to and loved are, Cedar Key, River Ranch, Key West, St Augustine, Jack Browns (Sea Plane flying).

Mark and Emma
harrisfloridavilla

fryerk
15-02-2002, 15:06
Hi Mark

I'm a recently qualified PPL and wonder what's involved in hiring a plane in Florida. I'm qualified on C172 and PA28's so finding one to rent shouldn't be a problem. Do you need a check ride before you can go solo?

Kevin.

markemma
15-02-2002, 15:16
Hi Kevin,

You need to take your licence to the Orlando FAA office, they will issue you with an FAA airmans certificate which will mean that there are no limitations to where you can fly. Any limitations are the same as those on your CAA licence.
You can then fly from any flight school usually requiring a check flight. The school can give you more details on validating your licence but its dead easy.
Flying is so much cheaper and a lot less hastle in florida and you do not need to pay any landing fees and you get free coffee!!
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on and if you would like suggestions of places to visit let me know.

Mark

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-02-2002, 15:46
At last - a topic I love!

As Mark said, it's very easy to get set up for renting aircraft in the USA. I went to the Orlando FDSO office just near Orlando International (address in the phone book) and had my Temporary Airmans Certificate within 30 minutes, free of charge :)

I then had to do a FAA biennial flight review (which I combined with my club checkout ride) at Kissimmee Aviation (end of Patrick Street, off Thacker Ave in Kissimmee). No great problems and all very relaxed and laid back.

I was then set to go out on my own. The flying is much the same at home apart from a couple of terminology differences on the radio.

I found navigation using the Mk 1 eyeball a little tricky as the Florida countryside is a bit featureless compared to at home but if you follow roads you should be ok. Also, there's loads of VOR/NDB's around to use for navigation.

Highlight of things for me was a trip from Kissimmee to Space Coast Regional, then a 500 foot flypast of Kennedy Space Center and the Shuttle Landing Facility (you're still allowed to do this now). Then on to Orlando Sanford to see what it's like at an incredibly busy airport. Then back over Disney (for the benefit of my 3 year old in the back who wanted to see 'Mickey Mouses House'). Fantastic!

John
(PPL/IMC, Manchester Barton, Piper Arrow PA28R-180 G-AWFJ)

Edited by - floridadreamvilla.co.uk on 15/02/2002 11:47:54

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-02-2002, 15:49
Mark

Did you do any seaplane flying at Jack Brown's? What's it like?

It's something I've always fancied having a go at.

John

steph_goodrum
15-02-2002, 18:25
Just out of interest though have you done any post Sept 11th. flying. I can't imagine it's going to be quite so easy now, bearing in mind the training received in Florida by the terrorists, at least I hope there are more stringent security checks.

steph

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-02-2002, 19:13
Hi Steph

I haven't as we have only been out there once ourselves since and I'd had my flying fix just before we left the UK.

As far as I have heard from other pilots things are pretty much back to normal now and you can once again enjoy flying whilst on holiday in Florida.

The airspace is back to as it was (they imposed some temporary airspace restrictions after 911) although it is now even more important to check of impending launches etc etc at Kennedy Space Center as they would not tolerate incursion in their airspace when they have something on.

John

roger
15-02-2002, 21:51
Shall we set up a forum specifically for flying?

---------------------
Roger

imported_admin
15-02-2002, 22:25
A seperate forum has been set up for flying. Please add all new messages there.

John