PDA

View Full Version : Question 38 on visa application

Gamedude
12-04-2005, 03:46
Has anyone had to wait the 16 weeks stated in the website following interview at the embassy because question 38 was ticked? This seems a long time to wait for a decision if you have all your memorandum of conviction and evidence.

I have been arrested before so have to tick the first option even though it was a long time ago and not a serious offence.

Any experiences of time scales you had to wait for an answer after interview at the american embassy would give me an idea.

Thanks for any info.

Gamedude
12-04-2005, 11:30
I might be wrong but I thought the question applied to anyone who had to apply for a visa due to ever being arrested.

Can anyone remember if they got a visa straightforwardly after clicking this question?

I have noticed a few people who have been granted visas after arrests in this forum, so just wondering if they ticked yes to the question.

dodgey memory
12-04-2005, 11:34
Not too sure what question you are referring to but my husband had been arrested in his youth and applied for a visa. He was told at the interview a full 10 year one had been granted and his passport was back within a week.[msnsmile2]

Gamedude
12-04-2005, 11:39
The question has lots of options like the visa waiver form. The question is:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject to a pardon,, amnesty or other similiar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?

Don't understand why the second half goes on about drugs and prostitution and the first about ever being arrested.

This is the large question on form DS 156.

Hope this helps more.

Curly Wurly
12-04-2005, 11:57
My husband had to tick this question because he had an arrest and conviction from about 10 years ago.

We went to the Embassy and he was granted a 10 year visa which came back within a week (just like dodgey memorys) - they do seem to be quite organised on that side of things, just the waiting outside the Embassy thats a pain!

Gamedude
12-04-2005, 12:03
Thanks for replies, that is similar to my case. Just worried they will make me wait 16 weeks for reply which would be too late.

Can't wait to get the interview over with as its worrying me constantly.

tia 33
12-04-2005, 15:02
Hubby's situation was the same as dodgey memory and Curly Wurly. Visa was confirmed at the Embassy interview and passport was received back in 3 days. Visa was granted for 10 years. Only other person I know of who had to get a visa also got his quickly and again visa was for 10 years.

We had absolute kittens when we found out hubby needed a visa and what was involved. Found out on New Year's Eve of all times - not a great way to welcome in 2005 on the internet downloading **** visa forms! We had already told our sons we were going, I had booked everything and paid for a lot of it and was nigh on inconsolable with panic.

Having got a grip of myself I reached the conclusion that there was nothing I could do except prepare all the paperwork accurately and methodically, think of everything I could take as background info and evidence and resign myself to waiting. I am a bit of a control freak and an impatient one at that so waiting for the appointment was hard. But everything turned out ok.

Take heart from the posts on the forum regarding success in the granting of the visa. The guy hubby saw at the embassy was great, and laughed when told the drunk & disorderly was following his RAF leaving do - said it must have been a good night!

Look forward to hearing how you get on. :)