PDA

View Full Version : report from disneyquest!

floridahol
03-03-2003, 03:12
hello all,

currently on internet in disney quest! This is about the 10th time i've been to orlando, but the first time off-season. i have to say it is a different experience. Noticably less crowded in the parks, although also less blisterin' sun as well! overall i would certainly reccomend it for frequent travelers to orlando, you get a lot more in at the parks as there are hardly any queues! I have been here 9 days so far and have not stood in line for more than 15 mins.

Anyway must dash, off to catch illuminations at EPCOT. Saw it the other night and realised I'd forgotten how good it was.

Will.

ps, having to use these dodgy disneyquest pc's to check email and manage villa enquirys etc while over here as i dont have a pc at my villa. its mighty awkward and you cant send emails from them!! the only alterntive is the just as awkward internet posts in the disney parks which charge $1 for 4 mins, it adds up! anyone know any alternatives? any good internet cafe's on the 192?? HELP!!!

esprit
03-03-2003, 03:20
Citrus Ridge public library in the plaza next to Publix near the junction of 192 and 27 offers free broadband access. 30 minutes per person per day though you cannot use these consecutively so one person in a party of 3 gets an hour and half. They used to allow this but have stopped it as it was clogging the machines up. No need to join the library, just pick up an internet card at the desk. They offer coffee and biscuits too ( free with a donation box).

fiona
03-03-2003, 03:22
Have you tried the libary? There is one on the 192 near the Publix near the 27 end, and you can usually have half an hour - free!!

esprit
03-03-2003, 03:25
Great minds think alike and type at the same time, Fiona!!!

fiona
03-03-2003, 03:26
Obviously Julie!!:D

steph_goodrum
03-03-2003, 11:35
It was great at Christmas Julie, you never knew what was going to be next, it was chocolate donuts one day, Christmas cookies another and candy canes on another occasion.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-03-2003, 14:07
There's an internet cafe on in downtown Kissimmee that might be useful. I believe there is alkso one on International Drive somewhere.

esprit
03-03-2003, 15:13
Bet they are not free though ( coffee as well!)

Carla
04-03-2003, 08:16
The I-Drive one closed down John, not long after Sept 11.

Last time I went to an I-Cafe they were charging US$8 for one hour on line - unrestricted use.
the library can be touch and go depending on the number of people waiting to use the machines.

esprit
04-03-2003, 12:42
The library is OK if you go daytime on weekdays but evenings are busy though. They have a "sign in by arrival time" system now which is better than the old system of just dashing for a machine when it comes free. You now get alloctaed a machine in strict order along the lines of a restaurant table. You can sit and read one of the magazines and have a coffee whilst you wait. There is a free type and print facility as well here.

mprince
04-03-2003, 16:03
On Emerald Isle Resort they have a cyber cafe with 3 machines

chris
08-03-2003, 22:35
At the library it's now not restricted to half hour a day, it's half hour per session. You sign up, go on a machine when called, then as soon as your time is up you can sign the list again and wait to be called.I had a 15 minute wait between goes. I know its OK cos I asked the librarian.

floridahol
09-03-2003, 21:42
Thanks for the advice everyone. The library sounds like a winner but I found another option on the day I was leaving Orlando. Our villa is in Sunridge Woods near the Champions gate complex, and right next to Publix there is a store called 'mail boxes etc' which is a stationer that has high speed internet access available for 20c per minute. They only have one pc but the friendly guy working there told me its always free. Much nearer than the alternatives, if only i'd discovered it earlier! Oh well I'll know for next time.

will

Daniel Ramsey
28-04-2003, 06:01
I just wanted to comment about having PC access, its more common nowadays to use the internet daily and while on vacations. It was such a hassle trying to get access the last time we rented a home it now became a priority. That made my decision on the type of villa to rent, and not having at least some form of dialup could steer future renters away.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-04-2003, 14:21
I'd agree Dan. I wish hotels and airports would cotton onto this and put some wireless networks in place so I can use my laptop when I am away on business as I always feel lost without being able to keep up with things (like these forums!) on the net.

Daniel Ramsey
29-04-2003, 17:29
I was going to post a comment about PC wi-fi in the rental home communities but it was too speculative, its a wireless system thats being proposed, transmitter/recievers every block or so in a area. I'm sure many people are aware of the system, my Toshiba has Bluetooth wireless, supposedly it can recieve up to 1500' away but it probably would not be a good idea for renters unless they had wi-fi hardware, its expensive. If your PC has at least a 56kbps connection (phone dialup) and uses Windows I'm happy, all I need is e-mail access and my IWON.com home page. I'll take care of it and clear the cache when I'm done if I have to use it, otherwise I'll make an enquiry as to using my laptop instead.

There is another option to homeowners, my wife is computer challenged so I bought a reciever from DISHNETWORK, its called a Dishplayer and has a WEBTV service, its basic, easy to use and best part does its own maintenance. Also its a satellite reciever with a built in PVR (personal video recorder) that can record any channel at any time on its hard drive.
For basic satellite service there is the 501 PVR from Dishnetwork, same thing as for recording but no internet access.
I do not know if satellite dishes are allowed on most villas but its better than cable with 10 times the channels. Dishes are now about 18" across though I have to use a 6' dish cause its aimed so low to the ground, I still get 1000 channels crystal clear though.
Here in Alaska we have STARBAND, its a satellite internet connection, almost as fast as DSL. Many homes here in the bush have no phone or electric, they use generators.

If a villa had an HDTV with satellite the owner I'm sure would get enquiries, an adjusted rental charge would be acceptable as its the next wave of technology.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-04-2003, 18:52
Dan

I'll reply by email directly to you about the internet connection.

Johnlance
13-05-2003, 06:29
For accessing the internet or to e-mail, members of this Forum are most welcome to use one of our computers free of charge at our office at Liberty Village on the 192, at 5260 West Irlo Bronson Hwy, (Unit 115) - your guests can too but for them the charge would be $5 for up to an hour.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-05-2003, 13:45
Thanks John :D.

caseyd
05-03-2004, 06:18
Johnlance, is that offer still open from your May 2003 email? I am a guest at a villa in Greater Groves in April and am loking for internet access, as I totally messed up and didn't think of it when renting the villa.
anyone else have updates on new or different places to use internet, since the posts here are a year old or more?