PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Space Center

linda allen
08-04-2005, 14:11
For those of you travelling to Orlando up till 15th May, if you plan to visit the Kennedy Space Center during your visit you will actually see the space shuttle on launch pad 39B. The shuttle has a launch window starting on 15th May up till June 3rd. Even if you don't get to see the launch it is really worth a visit to the KSC especially now.
I have seen the shuttle on the launch pad in the past and it really is amazing.
Its a great day out even for little ones, my two love it.

Snapper
08-04-2005, 15:36
For anyone lucky enough to be out there when the Shuttle flies, we found a great place to view the launch when we caught the Atlas 5 launch in March. It's on the 528 causeway over the Banana River. It's OK to park on the verges on either side of the causeway and there is a great view of the whole launch complex across the river. The easiest way to get there from Orlando is to take the 417 North and then pick-up 528 (Bee Line Expy) at exit 26. Don't follow the signs for Kennedy Space Center but stay on 528. When you hit the causeways over the rivers and creeks keep an eye to the left (north) and watch for the good views of the pads. You will see lots of other cars already parked at the best vantage points, so much so that it's probably worth going quite early to make sure you can find somewhere to stop. Maybe take a cool-box with some drinks and snacks and make a day of it.

linda allen
08-04-2005, 16:22
Steve, that was our backup if we didn't get tickets for the launch.Thanks for the info, you had given it to us a while ago.
However we were lucky enough to get tickets. I'm soooo excited.[clap]

Snapper
08-04-2005, 16:33
Nice one Linda. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it flies on schedule. Do grab some photos for us all.

linda allen
08-04-2005, 16:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
Nice one Linda. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it flies on schedule. Do grab some photos for us all.
[/quote]

I'll certainly do my best with the pics. Luckily we are over in Florida till 9th June as we will have closed on our villa and wanted to spend a month adding the extras. So we will be at the launch providing it does go up.

CERICROWLEY
08-04-2005, 19:29
We went to KSC at the time of the last shuttle launch when the shuttle was on its pad. We took the up close and personal tour and was really impressed. At the time we didn't know how emotional the video and photos would be after. Now we have booked ticket to go and see the first launch back to space. SO I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed we are lucky again

linda allen
08-04-2005, 20:32
I think there will be quite a few forum memebers there.[msncool]

chrizzy100
08-04-2005, 20:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
For those of you travelling to Orlando up till 15th May, if you plan to visit the Kennedy Space Center during your visit you will actually see the space shuttle on launch pad 39B. The shuttle has a launch window starting on 15th May up till June 3rd. Even if you don't get to see the launch it is really worth a visit to the KSC especially now.
I have seen the shuttle on the launch pad in the past and it really is amazing.
Its a great day out even for little ones, my two love it.
[/quote]

My brother in law is over...and he loves the space centre...this will be a nice added extra......I think he has this idea to get me up at 5 so we get there for the whole day........[msnscared][msnscared]...I never knew there were two 5 o'clocks in one day.......[msneek]

CERICROWLEY
08-04-2005, 22:09
Does anybody know what the expected launch time is. As the tickets they are selling for the meal included of either breakfast or lunch with an astronaut both say see launch after. So I picked the lunch one as other than we would be starving sitting round allday after breakfast.
I know they have to do it before sunset as they will not be doing night launches for some time is at all.

linda allen
09-04-2005, 00:40
Hi Ceri,
At the moment it is planned for 15.50. So a great end to the afternoon if it goes at this time. More information will be released nearer to the date. The lady I spoke to said we will be transported to our viewing area up to 3 hours before the launch. We are now collecting things to amuse our 3 and 4 year old in the wait till the launch. I'm sure they will be fine but just in case they get bored of waiting.

jon2211
09-04-2005, 03:25
We are over from 19th May to 2nd June. I would love to go but was a bit wary of spending $200 on tickets and then it goes before we get there.

I will certainly follows Snapper's advice and follow his route.

Snapper
09-04-2005, 03:44
It's a good view.

This is a cropped close-up of the recent Atlas 5 launch. The shuttle will be way more spectacular than this.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/200548234339_Atlas5LaunchCloseUpCropped.JPG

gromit
09-04-2005, 13:57
Great picture. We saw a launch a few years ago and watched it from cocoa beach. You got a good view from there, although not the best view, but it was amazing just for the atmosphere!

linda allen
10-04-2005, 14:44
If you go to the nasa web site on http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html
There are some great photos of the shuttle on the launch pad just to wet your appetite.

gromit
10-04-2005, 14:53
Oh Neil is so gutted that we leave to come home the day it is due to launch! Still we are lucky to have seen one before and hopefully there will be many more..... I'll have to take a look at the picture all the same!!!