PDA

View Full Version : need to go in Embassy

marv
08-04-2005, 00:31
Hi
My husband needs me to be in the Embassy with him as he cant read and i know that forms and documents will confuse him if ime not there to help. What do i do, will they allow me too go in with him? i know on the letter it says you can go in if you need to translate or you are a carer. Ime the one that has filled all the forms out and sorted everthing out for him as he cant read, so if they want to see certain documents that we take, he wont know really what to give them.
Should i contact the embassy and see if i could go in with him?

SunLover
08-04-2005, 05:09
I'm sure under the circumstances that you would be allowed to attend, but for your own peace of mind, it's probably best to call the embassy ahead of time for a definitive answer.

marv
08-04-2005, 14:09
I rang the embassy and they told me that they cant put me into his appointment this time . So if i wanted to be added i would have to change my appointment for the 29th July. They said that i should have mentioned it when i made the appointment.
I thought this would be good information for anyone in the same situation. We are just going to muddle through with the interview. Any documents i give him i will arrange so to help him no what to give them if they ask for it, but they may not as this is what seems to happen. People seem to take all these documments in and they don't ask to seee any of it.

janwebb
08-04-2005, 15:29
I would take the documents with you just to be sure.

can your husband read numbers? (I don't mean to sound patronising!) Maybe you could label each one with a number then if he is asked for them he could hand them over say for bank statements no 1 etc.

They did ask for documentary evidence with my husbands interview but it was all fairly laid back. He said it wasn't scary etc.

Please try not to worry too much I'm sure it will be fine for you. [msnsmile2]

blott
08-04-2005, 15:53
What about colour coding them with a blob of a different colour on the top right corner, like red = bank statement, etc? If you let your husband choose the colours that come to his mind for each document, then he'll be more likely to remember them.

You could also write a note for him to hand over explaining that he has difficulties with reading so that the interviewer will be able to act accordingly.

marv
08-04-2005, 16:34
Thank you so much for the good advice. I contacted the Embassy again and asked them if they had later appointments as when i asked before i told them that i needed to go in the embassy. So i was told that they had a later appointment on the 28th April ( alot sooner than the 29th July), so i have changed the appointment now, feel so much better. The embassy asked questions why i hadn't made appointment with husband before and i said the information wasn't made available. I knew that if you couldn't speak english or you were disabled then you could have someone Attend the appointment with you but didn't think they would allow if you couldn't read. Also the letter that i recieved from them had the information about cares and translators but i had already made the appointment before i recieved it. To sum it up i had no clue and ime glad i rang them and asked, it will make it alot easier for us now as getting a visa is a pain in a**
Thank God for these forums so we can get good advice and understand what we have to do.

E. Cosgrove
08-04-2005, 20:49
Bank statement = Red, sounds like me Blott[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
What about colour coding them with a blob of a different colour on the top right corner, like red = bank statement, etc? If you let your husband choose the colours that come to his mind for each document, then he'll be more likely to remember them.

You could also write a note for him to hand over explaining that he has difficulties with reading so that the interviewer will be able to act accordingly.
[/quote]

blott
08-04-2005, 21:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Bank statement = Red, sounds like me Blott[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott

You could also write a note for him to hand over explaining that he has difficulties with reading so that the interviewer will be able to act accordingly.[/quote][/quote]It sounds like mine too, that's why it came to mind! :D

Glad you've got it sorted out Marv and good luck for your husband's appointment.

SunLover
09-04-2005, 16:37
Good to know you got a definitive answer.

Good Luck ~ I'm sure it will all go smoothly :)