PDA

View Full Version : when does the new system come in?

domster
07-04-2005, 21:09
I have not really looked into this and wanted to know what is involved with the new system.

Is it similar to the old one by filing out a visa form on the plane? people have told me that you need to go to London to get one before you travel?

If so this is going to be a real pain.

DOm

blott
07-04-2005, 21:51
Which 'new system' do you mean?

If you mean biometic passports, which is supposed to be introduced on 26 October 2005 (deferred from the same date in 2004), then as long as your passport is renewed or doesn't expire for some time after that date, it's the same system as usual, ie visa waiver, if you're qualified to use it.

Jules
07-04-2005, 22:54
I was wondering about this as my son and his fiancee are planning on getting married in Florida in May 2006 but their passports run out in April 2006. Would it be worth them renewing their passports early?

blott
07-04-2005, 23:00
Yes it would Julie otherwise they would have to apply for visas if the UK doesn't produce biometic passports (looks highly unlikely that these will be available in the near future) before they travel.

You can get up to 9 months 'credit' on your old passport so your new one would be valid for the usual 10 years plus however much is left in your old one, up to nine months.

steph_goodrum
07-04-2005, 23:36
As Blott says Julie if they renew their passports before Oct 26th 2005 then they won't have a problem and won't need a visa.

Jules
08-04-2005, 00:08
Thanks Blott and Steph. I thought this was the case but saw something on the Virgin website that said you needed visa's if your passport was issued after October 2004. They have obviously not up dated their site after the deadline was moved.

domster
08-04-2005, 20:47
Thanks,

will get mine changed early then

DOM

Jules
12-04-2005, 04:01
Just had another thought. When my son and his fiancee get married and my DIL sends her passport off to have her name changed will they issue her with a new passport that she will have to get a visa for or will they just alter the exisiting one to her new surname. I know when I got the children their own passports and had them removed from mine they just put a line through their names in my passport and sent it back to me [msnscared]

lynsey
12-04-2005, 04:42
I was wondering the same thing. My passport has approx 5 years left on it, but we're getting married next april, in Florida. If i apply for a new passport in my married name, will i then need a visa?
Or can i continue using my maiden name until we are able to get biometric passports?

Are there any travel agents use this forum, who can let me know if i can travel in my maiden name - as long as the tickets are in the same name?

sorry to ramble!

lynsey.

Andy & Arlene
12-04-2005, 10:36
Lynsey, as long as the tickets and passport are in the same name, I'm pretty sure you can travel. I didn't change my name in my passport until it needed renewing (but just remember to NOT use your married name when booking your flights). [msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
12-04-2005, 13:07
I think that still applies as I know someone who has been married for 5 or 6 years and as she travels regularly abroad for work has not got round to changing her passport to her married name and she doesn't have any problems.

lynsey
13-04-2005, 05:38
thanks very much, Arlene & babblin boo!

lynsey.

blott
13-04-2005, 19:30
I didn't change my passport for ages after I got married and just used to travel with a copy of my marriage certificate and never had a problem.

Cruella DeVilla
13-04-2005, 20:17
I still have not changed my name on my passport after 4 1/2 years of a name change! Long story cut short, I can't afford to be without it for any length of time as I travel widely in my job at a minutes notice. It expires next June so I think I will have to look at renewing it early, when I have nothing planned that I know of, complete with my new name and then when I apply for my US Visa this year it will be in the new passport and I won't have to carry an expired one and a new one. There that's sorted!

What I was going to say before I went off on a tangent, was I just book the tickets in my other name and then no need to carry marriage certificate as old name matches passport. When the firm books my flights I just carry the marriage certificate and driving licence as they book in my married name. Only ever came across problem once at Manchester airport when a new girl was not sure, oh no twice when the firm booked me with Ryan air and it was all a big drama for them, (would not fly with them through choice but they give the firm a good deal), got it sorted eventually. The schedule airlines know the score and I have never had any problems with them.

tezz7628
13-04-2005, 21:54
ok, sounds logical

but what name are you all insuring yourself under, and signing forms

looks like one heck of a get out clause to me for the payout [msnscared]

is it ok doing this [?]

Cruella DeVilla
14-04-2005, 00:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
ok, sounds logical

is it ok doing this [?]
[/quote]

The marriage cert (which is a US one) and driving license are recognised as legal proof of who I am, so with the insurance side of life there is not an issue as I can still prove who I am.

When we bought the villa I had to sign one document with every name I had ever used, but they do this to everyone, it was weird though![msneek]

I really need to sort it out once and for all and then it is not a consideration anymore.

E. Cosgrove
14-04-2005, 00:36
I don't remember doing that CDV![msneek]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
ok, sounds logical

is it ok doing this [?]
[/quote]

The marriage cert (which is a US one) and driving license are recognised as legal proof of who I am, so with the insurance side of life there is not an issue as I can still prove who I am.

When we bought the villa I had to sign one document with every name I had ever used, but they do this to everyone, it was weird though![msneek]

I really need to sort it out once and for all and then it is not a consideration anymore.

[/quote]

blott
14-04-2005, 07:46
Er, neither do I Liz! [msneek] But perhaps CDV has had more names than most? [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
14-04-2005, 19:25
Maybe just a KB thing but I had to sign in my maiden name and married name and Mr CDV had to sign just once on this particular document. Can't remember exactly why they did tell us, but you know what it is like, when you have signed your name for the 75th time you kind of loose the plot[msneek]

Jules
16-04-2005, 14:31
Thanks everyone for the info.

As their passports are due to run out in April '06 they are going to renew early and then Kirsty will just book flights etc in her maiden name until the passport runs out or they introduce biometric passports here. I suppose it does mean they will have to fill out 2 customs forms but that is a lot easier than travelling to London to get a visa.