PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Orlando

UKAllan
28-02-2003, 18:41
As I am soon to be a new owner I would like to find out the most cost effective way of flying Non Stop to Orlando from (preferably)Gatwick.
Packed to the rafters charter flights are NOT what I am looking for as I would like to have plenty of legroom. :)

blott
28-02-2003, 18:47
I think I'm right in saying that your only options for non-stop Gatwick to Orlando scheduled flights are either Virgin or BA. Most other airlines make a stop somewhere in US. Virgin and BA are not necessarily the most cost effective carriers though as you'll probably find that those scheduled airlines which do make stops elsewhere in US (ie US Airways, American Airlines, Delta, Continental, etc, etc) can be cheaper.

I think I'm also right in saying that American Airlines have the most generous leg room in economy (unless you're thinking of going business or first class!).

Internet flights booking options are generally available 320 days prior to departure or you can check with a travel agent or purchase flights online direct from individual airlines further in advance - although the latter two options may not be the cheapest.

Andy & Arlene
28-02-2003, 18:48
BA or Virgin fly non stop. The price will depend on when you want to go. Obviously school holiday time will be a lot more expensive.

Arlene

fiona
28-02-2003, 18:55
We often fly into Miami which usually goes from Heathrow - we are only 15 mins from there. We find the flights cheaper into Miami and AA do that route - they offer the largest seating space. You can either get a connecting flight or drive up - it takes about 3.5 hrs.

Biggus
28-02-2003, 20:18
Fiona,
We are flying with AA next month to Orlando via Miami - what are they like? We have never flown with them before.....looks like there is space on each of our transatlantic flights (going home via Boston) so might get to spread out a little (here's hoping I'm 6'4" and NEED the legroom) our pre-booked seats are bulkhead legroom seats so hopfully should be OK.
Got a really good deal on these flights (1 hour stopover in Miami and 2 and a bit in Boston) and they cost us £279 - which having looked around is not too bad.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-02-2003, 20:55
We've been with AA a few times (via Chicago) and find them very good. As others have said the seat pitch is excellent and the food / service is not bad at all. I'd happily fly with them again.

mprince
28-02-2003, 21:03
My parents flew AA to Miami at Christmas and thought they were excellent - lots of leg room

fiona
28-02-2003, 21:13
Their organisation about seats leaves alot to be desired as we were stuck for ages at Heathrow (weren't we Debbie???) but they had allocated seats for us all together.

Food was ok, seats comfortable, loos clean and everything a ok. But I have saved the best to last. We all had plenty of room, Chris is 6', I am 5'8 and neither of us are small!! We got upgraded on the way back to business class. What can I say? Huge leather seats, had sick teenager (literally) who I had force fed anti-travel stuff to get her down from Orlando to Miami, she just crashed out on the seat - which reclines fully - and no problems for the rest of the flight. Unlimited champagne, etc.etc. and they even upgraded my brother who was travelling with us when Chris asked if we could all sit together - he hadn't realised they had upgraded us at that time!

Knocked spots off Delta and TWA.

Matt
01-03-2003, 02:01
I always choose to fly to Orlando with Virgin Atlantic, but usually just book a fly-drive through Virgin Holidays and upgrade the flight to Premium which is cheaper than booking just a premium flight with Virgin.

Also, if you plan to travel there on a regular basis then join their frequent flyer programme which is really good, better than other airlines. You can earn miles on loads of Virgin stuff bumping up the miles for free flights!!

I've flown in Upper Class, Premium and economy on free tickets. Its well worth it in the end!!

Ann
01-03-2003, 02:27
we are going AA in october via chigago so this is good to know :D
i hate stop overs but to get the 18 nights we had to go this way couldnt get direct for the odd duration :(

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-03-2003, 02:29
They are great Ann so it will be ok. Only problem is be prepared for a long trek between flights at ORD - you arrive at one terminal, clear US customs, then have to take a monorail to the AA domestic terminal to catch the connecting flight.

Not quite as bad as it sounds but you'll need at least 2 hours to make the connection.

Ann
01-03-2003, 02:34
2 hours John i could run a 1/2 a marathon in that time how far is it [:0]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-03-2003, 03:17
It's the next terminal round (terminal 5 to 3 - no terminal 4) but the main delay is the longest corridor I have ever seen from gate to customs ).

See http://www.ohare.com/ohare/terminals/terminal.shtm for a map of the terminal layout.

Ann
01-03-2003, 03:24
Thanks John when the tickets come in and i know for sure which terminal i will be arriving and departing from i will make sure i have the map with me :Dill put my trainers on

Ruth
01-03-2003, 03:26
Matt, I have just joined Virgin's frequent flyer programme. What is the availability like when you want to book free flights. Do you have to fly at off peak times?

steph_goodrum
01-03-2003, 12:29
Ruth
We are using Freeway miles to fly to California in August, so it doesn't have to be off peak. We had no trouble getting the flights we wanted.
Each trip to Orlando earns 8600 miles so when you have done 5 trips you will have earnt enough for a 6th free (40,000 return trip to States). As Matt said you can earn them other ways as well.

Ruth
01-03-2003, 13:16
Steph, do you earn miles if you book a fly drive through Virgin holidays or just with flight only direct with Virgin?

steph_goodrum
01-03-2003, 14:27
Hi Ruth
Yes, you earn them whenever you fly on Virgin aircraft and on certain other partner airlines. Their website tells you which ones you earn them with, if you don't mind flying indirect you earn them on Delta flights as well. Just make sure you quote your flying club no. when you book and just to make sure your account is credited, whenever you check in always present your Flying Club card as well at the desk and they'll make sure the miles go on.

Make sure you get the best use of them when you save enough miles as well, for instance we had enough miles to fly free at christmas but as the time we were flying we got flights for £300 each we saved the miles for the summer when our flights would be over £600 (my brothers is £612 on the same flights as us).
It is a bit confusing but I am talking about the Virgin Flying Club not the Virgin Holidays Frequent Flyer Club, this is a separate one by Virgin Holidays and doesn't earn miles (it basically offers things like free car upgrade, 10% discount on Virgin Holidays etc)

Debs
01-03-2003, 14:38
Quite right Fiona!!!! It did seem a bit of a fiasco at Check in!!!! Lots of lines and no real organisation!!! But once on board all was ok - loads of leg room which was great - not that we are tall!!! But at least when the passenger in front reclined you didn't feel like they were in your face!!!! We went from Gatwick to Orlando via Miami on the way there and from Orlando to Gatwick via JFK on the way back - near done a stop over like that before. Worked out ok. Would use them again - especially on the deal we got 2 for the price of 1! We are Freeway Members too - great scheme you can collect points every time you travel just hand over your card!!! Even if you forget your card you can have your points added later on. You just send your tickets off to their Admin Department and its all sorted.

blott
01-03-2003, 14:56
I don't know about Virgin but with some airline miles cards you can also collect them for your car rental. I had 'forgotten' to do this previously but remembered last time - just hand over the card when you collect your rental car - and I got another 1500 miles. :D

stephen williams
01-03-2003, 19:54
Travel city special charter will be flying from Gatwick each summer, for an extra £199 you can upgrade to a seat gap of over 50"

Matt
02-03-2003, 18:02
Ruth,

If you book your Virgin Fly-Drive through Virgin TravelStore, you will earn 1 mile for every pound spent on your holiday. You will also earn miles for the acutal flight.

I have never had any problems with booking free flights, I don't think there are any embargos on the dates you can travel. However, if booking the freebies, then I would suggest they are booked well in advance whilst availability is good.

I also have a virgin credit card which gives 2 miles for every pound spent, and also buy my wine from virgin wines which gives 750 miles for each order.

There are loads of ways to get the miles, I just don't like ever spending them!!! I've got 172,000 at the moment enough for a few free flights.

Matt

UKAllan
03-03-2003, 14:57
I have just enquired on line with Virgin and AA for a week in Sept (3 - 10th)
Virgin Non Stop Gatwick - Orlando £483.00
AA via Dallas Gatwick - Orlando $933.60 (£600 approx)
Is this an expensive time?
Both these are in economy

Biggus
03-03-2003, 15:52
UKAllen,
We didn't book direct with AA for our flights but got them through a company called Bon-Voyage Travel based in Southampton. I found them via a search engine looking for cheap flights
The girl (Gemma) that I dealt with there (and was very very helpful along the way - many changes to dates etc.) can be contacted via gemma.cronan@bon-voyage.co.uk
Mods - hope that this is OK to post - I DON'T work for the company just got a good deal and they were very helpful. If this is naughty (never done this before) then I will PM UKAllen instead.[:I]

UKAllan
03-03-2003, 16:22
Thanks for that addy Biggus
I will pursue that and I promise not to mention your name!!