PDA

View Full Version : Disabled driver - Blue badge holder

Frosty
06-04-2005, 18:40
Does anyone know if there is any kind of agrrement where a UK Disabled Blue Badge holder can use it in the US ?
If not can they apply for an equivalent one for use in the US ?

Anybody been down this road ?

blue nose
06-04-2005, 19:17
hello frosty, we always take our blue badges to florida,and just use them as normal everywhere you go.Show them at any theme park entrance and you will be shown to easy access car parking.If you need any more info about disabled access don't hesitate to ask. bluenose.

Frosty
06-04-2005, 20:29
Hi Blue Nose,

Thanks for that, did you just use the badge as normal when you parked in a spot at say Walmarts etc.

I've noticed that the Americans have a sticker on their plate, so wonderd what would happen if we were just parked in a rental, just displaying our blue badge, don't want to get it towed away[msncry]

Is there any kind of reciprocal agreement between UK and UK in place ?

blue nose
06-04-2005, 20:49
hi,as you may know, the large supermarkets such as publix or walmart etc. have plenty of disabled spaces, and we have noticed that unlike the u.k.they are rarely used other than by the disabled.[msnmad] bluenose.

florida4sun
06-04-2005, 20:49
We used a UK orange badge for nearly 5 years without problem until we moved back to the UK. Never got around to getting USA version. One thing I will say is that if the person is not dependant on a wheelchair then they ashould use the regular parking spaces. The distance for walking is much further from the wheelchair user parking.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Hi Blue Nose,

Thanks for that, did you just use the badge as normal when you parked in a spot at say Walmarts etc.

I've noticed that the Americans have a sticker on their plate, so wonderd what would happen if we were just parked in a rental, just displaying our blue badge, don't want to get it towed away[msncry]

Is there any kind of reciprocal agreement between UK and UK in place ?
[/quote]

tezz7628
06-04-2005, 21:11
did i read on here there's some relevance to the position in the car?

yeah here we are, hanging from the rear view mirror

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_14548.asp

and according to the florida handbook

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/ch_203.html

the front dash is also acceptable

Florida3883
06-04-2005, 21:36
If you do use your "UK Blue Badge" make sure it is clearly displayed. I got a parking ticket at typhoon lagoon for not displaying it properly and it cost me $200. Otherwise, I have had no problems at all.

Frosty
06-04-2005, 22:00
What is the proper place to display it ?

Don't want to get a $200 fine[msncry]

UK Jane
06-04-2005, 22:06
Hi Neil

In recent years we have taken my parents with us to Florida and my mother has a blue disabled badge.

We have used it in many car parks in and around the Orlando/Disney area with absolutely no problems at all. We always leave it prominently displayed upon the dashboard.

We have also shown it to the Car Park attendents when parking at any of the parks and they have always accepted it without question.

Regards

Jane

Frosty
06-04-2005, 22:08
Ok thanks for that, Jane.

LiesaAnna
06-04-2005, 22:53
i wrote to the orlando visitors convention (something like that) and got a very nice email regarding the blue badge, as long as it is clearly displayed! and in the parks keep it where it can be seen as you drive in show the parking chaps they direct you to follow the blue line for disabled parking! they were so helpful!!!!

blott
07-04-2005, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
What is the proper place to display it ?

Don't want to get a $200 fine[msncry][/quote]I think it's meant to be displayed hanging from the rear view mirror but Tezz gave you the answer above.

Yep, the application form for a disabled parking permit states that it should be displayed via the rear view mirror (doesn't mention dashboard). http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Forms/BTR/83039.pdf

LiesaAnna
07-04-2005, 16:12
i think thats correct Blott, but they werent bothered at us holding it up to show them and then standing it on dashboard!

blue nose
07-04-2005, 22:30
you cannot hang the the blue disabled badges from your rear view mirror, this only applies to the american hook type badge. bluenose

tezz7628
07-04-2005, 22:53
i personally haven't used one in a long while but the other ruling that comes from the application that blott mentions above is

the permit number must be visible from the <span style="color:red">front</span id="red">[msnoo] of the vehicle

but that's probably self-fulfilling anyway

the surprising part for me is that is must be visble from the front as the licence plate etc is on the back and we've discussed about parking the car correctly so these can be seen [msnwink]

gromit
08-04-2005, 01:02
Our uncle had no problems as long as it was clearly visible in the dashboard!

LiesaAnna
08-04-2005, 03:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Florida3883
If you do use your "UK Blue Badge" make sure it is clearly displayed. I got a parking ticket at typhoon lagoon for not displaying it properly and it cost me $200. Otherwise, I have had no problems at all.

[/quote]

hubby dropped me off at a wedding in Brighton town centre a few weeks ago he put my disabled badge on dash the wrong way!! i got a £30 parking ticket for that!! am still waiting to hear if they gonna drop the fine he didnt know he shouldnt show my face!!! as beautiful as it is![msnwink]

gromit
08-04-2005, 14:45
I am sure anyone who could see you Liesa would drop the fine!!!![msnwink]

caz
08-04-2005, 17:46
Dad has always used his blue disabled badge when we have been to Florida, but only in some places. Dad has various health problems affecting the distance he is able to walk, but is not wheelchair bound, and as John says, some of the disabled parking are actually a longer walk than the regular spaces.

suegooding
08-04-2005, 18:30
I have used my blue badge many a times. I just show it a the gate and explain I have a powered chair, they then direct us to the disabled area. So long as the date is shown on the front I think that is fine, no problems so far.

All the best

mrsbabypowder
16-04-2005, 01:22
Mr Frosty. I remember what you told me once about a woman that i thought was a guy, who was mentally disturbed. They got a badge with no problems. see ya fabulous!!!!!!!