PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

Big Mack
28-02-2003, 01:38
Hi everyone

I am starting to plan my families first visit to Florida and i cannot thank you enough for providing such an excellent website.
After spending the last week or so taking in some of the massive amount of information available i have now gotten around to registering and as you can imagine being a first timer i have a few questions so here goes!
1) We are thinking about the first two weeks in September 2004, is this a good time? How busy will it be?
2) After getting a fright at the prices in this years brochures i have decided it may be better to do everything myself. We have found a nice 4 bed villa in Aster Cove, Crescent lakes and the car hire prices qouted on the site seem very reasonable. However flights seem to be a problem,does anyone know when they are likley to start selling flights for September 2004 and roughly how much i should expect to pay?
3) We would like to fly direct from Glasgow as we have my wifes parents coming with us and as they are in their late 60's the shorter the journey time the better. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so which airlines are involved.
4) Finally my father in law is wheelchair bound so i would love some advice as to which parks would be suitable and which ones he should maybe avoid. Also any general travel tips for wheelchair users would be a great help.

Sorry if i have rambled on a bit but there is just so much to take in an organise.
Once again thankyou very much, i dont know what i would do without the internet and sites like this one!

:D

Ann
28-02-2003, 01:56
HI Mac
welcome to the site
i personally like Sept and think this is a good time
you should be able to get direct flights from Glasgow to sanford non stop
my sister and her family are booked from glasgow direct to Sanford at the end of Sept 2003 and they paid around £300 per person i think this was airtours you should get flights 11 months in advance
I think all the Parks cater for wheel chair users very well but maybe some of the others will be able to tell you more about this as i have never taken a wheelchair
also most of the airlines will be as helpful as possible with the wheelchair and you should say at the time of booking the flight this way you will get priority seating
hope this helps have a great time :D

blott
28-02-2003, 02:57
Hi Big Mack

Most of the parks have rides suitable for those in wheelchairs but there will be a few in each which may not be suitable. I would think that Islands of Adventure has probably got the most rides which are unsuitable. For shows in the parks, there are reserved areas for those using a wheelchair and normally their party also gets to go with them and they usually have the best views!

The places my Dad (also in a wheelchair) enjoyed the most were Sea World, Busch Gardens, Epcot, Disney MGM and Universal but those were his tastes and may not be your Dad's.

You'll find that everyone is very helpful to wheelchair users and there are disabled loos in almost every supermarket, restaurant, etc so don't be afraid to go out and about.

Debs
28-02-2003, 13:54
You have definitely made the right decision to organise everything yourself. You will know exactly where you will be staying and also what facilities will be at the home YOU choose. As Blott and Ann have confirmed all the Parks cater very well for wheelchair bound guests. As do the restaurants etc - even down to car parking spaces they are plentiful and also really nice and wide which really helps when getting in and out of the car.

Big Mack
01-03-2003, 02:09
Hi again

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, and thanks to Ann for the Glasgow flight info. How far is it from Sanford airport to the Kissimee area, and how easy is it to get there?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-03-2003, 02:13
Sanford to Kissimmeee is about an hour's drive - straigh down the 417 (dual carriageway) so a very easy drive.

Ann
01-03-2003, 02:23
it should take less than 1 hour from Sanford and from Orlando International it is about 45 min tops
Sanford is a smaller airport so you are normally through customs far quicker than Orlando

Big Mack
01-03-2003, 02:32
Thanks Ann

It does sound better when you explain it, I was under the impression that Orlando was much closer than Sanford.
I have heard that the car hire queues can be mega long once you arrive. Is this only if you have booked a Fly-drive or is everyone in the same boat?

Thanks once again.

Ann
01-03-2003, 02:59
Everyone is in the same boat Mack but it shouldnt take to long
if you arrive in Sanford and they ask you to wait for the car tell them you are very sorry you cannot wait as you have a deadline
normally this is because they are waiting for more cars to arrive but they will just have to upgrade you (no extra charge )if you cant wait
it worked for us last time anyway :D

Sanford is a bit bigger than prestwick if you know it [?]
so dont be put off going there if you get a better deal
you can also get direct to orlando from Glasgow but there dosent seem to be as many of these about normally have to stop somewhere and it adds time to the long flight

Big Mack
01-03-2003, 03:12
Sounds like Sanford is going to be our best bet because i really do not fancy stopping off somewhere, having two young kids and two old in laws! i would like the journey to be as short and as hassle free as possible.
Talking of Prestwick (which is only 10 minutes from my house) someone told my wife that there were some direct flights from there last year. Is this true or is it just a lot of hot air?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-03-2003, 03:14
Don't Britannia do direct Prestwick to Orlando?

Ann
01-03-2003, 03:17
Mack we done prestwck a few years ago and i cant remember if it was direct or not would have to think about it we had 2 kids and 2 old inlaws with us then as well must be about 5 years ago but you could always ask around when booking flights to see if they still go from Prestwick

Ruth
01-03-2003, 03:22
I am sure there are direct flights from Prestwick as I saw them on the departures board when we were there last year. I do not know who they are with though, sorry.

Big Mack
01-03-2003, 03:37
It sounds as if my wifes friend was correct! I will definately look into the Prestwick option nearer the time.

Thanks again everyone
Bye for now!:):):D

orlandobabe
02-03-2003, 02:28
Don't forget to take your disabled blue badge with you-you can use it in Florida.
They have parking places in supermarket car parks etc and unlike Britain-if you park in a disabled space without a pass-you can get a fine-in the US it's $200.

Kissyme
03-03-2003, 13:07
Just a quick note We have been to Orlando x3 in Sept and have not had to queue more than twenty mins for a ride. Also restuarants not packed weather lovely went once in june everywhere was packed kids got grumpy cos they had to queue for ages in very hot sun going again this year and trying October (mainly for Halloween)

orlandobabe
03-03-2003, 23:43
We did Halloween Horror Night in October.

It was great fun. I expected to be scared witless and I was-but I never ventured into the scary houses!
The ghouls and the blokes with the chain saws were enough for me!

Florida-there really isn't anywhere like it. We went to look for a new car yesterday and within 5 minutes of chatting to the car salesman-we were reminiscing over Florida! It's like the Masons-we must give out these subliminal Florida cues to everyone.

Big Mack
06-03-2003, 02:44
Thanks for the tip about the badge orlandobabe, that would never have occured to me. I must say it seems as if we have picked the right time to go Kissyme as i am officialy the worlds worst queuer!!!! [:o)][:o)][}:)]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2003, 01:38
Hi Big Mack

Don't forget American's don't queue they STAND IN LINE:)

Sarah

Big Mack
07-03-2003, 18:48
Hi Sarah

Well that must mean that i am the worlds worst stander in liner...er!!!!!?
[:I]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2003, 19:24
:)

Sarah

lord morbius
08-03-2003, 17:33
Hi mac, we just booked flights with airtours direct from Belfast for this april, Check teletext for your local departure deals you can get some good bargains, we paid £300 then seen it advertised for £250 the next day... typical eh? so keep checkin' - although it will probably be a while before they are advertising for sep 04, good luck.

Big Mack
13-03-2003, 00:27
Hi everyone,

Just another quick question on behalf of my in laws. Do the parks offer any concessions for OAP's? My father in law will not be interested in going on the rides but he will want to go everywhere the kids go so that he can enjoy seeing their reactions, i was just wondering if he will still have to pay the full price for his tickets? [?][?][?][8D]

steph_goodrum
13-03-2003, 01:26
'fraid so. But don't forget thought there are so many rides that he can enjoy WITH the children, things like it's a small world (sedate boat ride) etc. He will have a whale of a time , I can assure you . I cna't remember if you've said how old the children are but I'm sure they'll enjoy going on the rides with him as well. Many of them you can get onto in the wheelchair and of course there are the shows as well.

Big Mack
14-03-2003, 00:19
Thanks Steph, I was forgetting about the shows and he probably will end up going on all the rides that he can. At least this will make it a bit easier for me when i tell them the cost of park tickets.[:0]

ewhyte
17-03-2003, 22:00
HI

Unijet do Glasgow to Sanford! You are limited to the days they travel, thinkit's only tice weekly but worth checking out!