PDA

View Full Version : Excel Airlines

julieanne
05-04-2005, 20:20
Anyone used Excel airlines? I've not heard of them before...

05-04-2005, 22:15
Excel Airways Group provides scheduled and chartered flights services to vacation destinations throughout Europe. The airline owns a fleet of eight Boeing 737s and one Boeing 767. It has inked deals with vacation package providers Travelpack and Somak Holidays, to make regular flights to India. Iceland-based Air Atlanta owns about 77% of Excel Airways.

Julie if you watch Trolley Dollies on Sky One at 7pm every night its a fly on the wall featuring Excel Airways![msnwink]

Dopeysfriend
06-04-2005, 01:39
Excel go to Florida too.

I priced Thomson flights from Newcastle and they came up as excel flights.

Don't know why but flights to florida aren't shown on excel's own website.

julieanne
06-04-2005, 02:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dopeysfriend
Excel go to Florida too.

I priced Thomson flights from Newcastle and they came up as excel flights.

Don't know why but flights to florida aren't shown on excel's own website.
[/quote]

This is what I found too - and that's why I asked the question.

I'm always a bit suspicious when this happens - I like to know exactly who people are [msnscared]

KevinT
06-04-2005, 02:37
Hi Julie,

We booked on a Thomas Cook flight in May out of Newcastle to Florida and a couple of months ago the travel agents informed us that the flights were now via Excel. I'll let you know what Excel are like after May (unless you're going sooner of course). I must admit to being a little miffed as I quite liked Thomas Cooks plane (an Airbus 300) Looks like Excel have older planes.

[msnsad]

06-04-2005, 11:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Hi Julie,

We booked on a Thomas Cook flight in May out of Newcastle to Florida and a couple of months ago the travel agents informed us that the flights were now via Excel. I'll let you know what Excel are like after May (unless you're going sooner of course). I must admit to being a little miffed as I quite liked Thomas Cooks plane (an Airbus 3000) Looks like Excel have older planes.

[msnsad]
[/quote]

They use a 767 I think[msnwink]

julieanne
06-04-2005, 12:33
Well I <span style="color:red">MIGHT</span id="red"> just <span style="color:red">MIGHT</span id="red"> have the chance of a trip at the end of May and can get at the moment can get seats on Excel - so wondered who they were and if anyone had used them...

imported_n/a
06-04-2005, 17:08
Came back from greece on exel brand new plane ok.
allenc

Cruella DeVilla
06-04-2005, 22:38
I have heard of them, but don't know anything about them Julie.

normajohnp
07-04-2005, 01:14
We have just booked for May flying from Newcastle and it is Excel we are going with.Like you we had never heard of them so I checked them on the Newcastle Airport web site and the comments from people who have flew long haul with them were not very good.I rang my T/A and asked her about them and she said that they are OK but she has never flown with them herself! Well we will just have to wait and see for ourselves, plus we did check that they are ATOL protected.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Anyone used Excel airlines? I've not heard of them before...
[/quote]

domster
07-04-2005, 10:27
We flew with them last year to Greece. You can book to florida (flight only with them). They were OK.

DOM

KevinT
28-05-2005, 04:11
Hi Folks,

I promised to report back on Excel after our flight from Newcastle/Sanford.

It started off well as we were loaded into an Air Atlanta 747.
Surprise! I didn't think Newcastle could handle 747s yet. Reality is - they can't!! Apparently this 747 was by way of an experiment
and nobdy had done their homework as to how long it takes to refuel
one.
Result - 2 hours later we were still in a very warm jet waiting yet another fuel truck. (I think some of the parents of hungry and hot young children were about ready to organise a bucket chain for the aviation fuel!:D
Almost 3 hours after scheduled takeoff we were slowly heading along the taxiway when the crew announced that they would have to move some passengers as a safety check had shown a bent pin in an emergency door so they had to move people near that door.
Taxied a little further then the captain said there was a vibration sensor light had come on in the cockpit and they had to summon an engineer. Fortunately there was a spare on hand which was fitted within 20 mins. The captain then announced that he needed to test the engine at pressure and was not allowed to do that on the taxiway so was awaiting a tug to move us to a test area. More discussions with the tower and he was allowed to run the test in situ.[clap][clap]
Take off followed - 4 hours late. As soon as we were in the air the cabin crew informed us that there were two in flight films, but the ground crew had packed the wrong headsets which did not fit the 747s [msnmad][msnmad] They could still show the films but needed to run the sound over the PA. So half of it was inaudible and the rest was interrupted by announcements. At least we had seat back screens
and slightly better seat pitch.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt I thought. Maybe the return journey will be better?? - Some hopes [msnscared]
rang Sanford to check on return flight and was informed that there was a 4 hour delay on the incoming plane (something about a fuelling problem -- surprise [msnoo][msnoo]
Arrived at Sanford and waited - we got issued a $5 voucher each after 4 hours wait. (Do these people realise what $5 buys in Sanford airport?? a cup of tea or cofee and some cookies - cheers) [beer]
finally the plane arrived. An Excel badged 767 - 300. On boarding
the complaints came thick and fast as the seat pitch was the smallest I have ever,ever experienced in all my years travelling.
The cabin staff had several bad tempered spats with irate passengers.
True its not their fault, they can't redesign the plane, but they are the frontline reps for the company!
Now I would say I'm average height, being about 5ft 11 (and slightly overweight at 13 stone) but I found my legs wedged against the seat in front with no chance of movement sideways. A six foot six rugby player decided to relocate to the empty seat in front of me thus blocking the slight view I had of the video screen (Oh yes! did I mention that there were just two small screens for the whole aircraft?) When the meals came round the next shock arrived as the seat back table would not open flat. Meals had to be eaten at a slant![msnsad] Arrived back 4 .5 hours late at Newcastle. The clues came from the instructions in Spanish on the seat backs. This is a plane designed for short haul hops to the continent where lack of legroom is an inconvenience - not a eight to nine hour long haul aircraft where no leg room can mean painful backs and legs, or worse DVT. Maybe the ensuing court case will be what it will take to make the charter companies finally listen.

Just composing letter to the Chairman of Excelair, but if the
"cavalier" attitude of the staff stems from the top I don't hold out much hopes!![gun][gun]
Also writing to Newcastle airport as somebody MUST know how long their fuel trucks take to fill a 747!!

E. Cosgrove
28-05-2005, 12:29
Oh dear Kevin, doesn't sound too good, but what about the holiday itself was that great, and are you going to treat us to a trip report?[msnsmile2]

KevinT
28-05-2005, 16:18
The holiday was brilliant Liz, thankyou - and yes I will be giving a trip report. (As soon as I've finished writing to all concerned with the flights!)
[msnsad]
It was a landmark birthday for my wife during our stay and we arranged one or two treats so we had a great time.
Most forum members know that I do not moan a great deal and try to keep a balanced and light hearted view, but having travelled with pretty much all of the major charter and scheduled carriers including BA, Virgin, Monarch, Thomas Cook, Britannia, Air 2000, Airtours/Mytravel, KLM etc. I have always been of the opinion "Well it's only 8.5 hours or so" and resigned myself to the breakdowns, delays and cramped conditions as they occurred. When you get ALL of these from one company in both directions, I feel it's time to complain.
Judging from the mood of the other passengers, especially ones with babies and very young children, I will not be the only one.

Dopeysfriend
28-05-2005, 19:26
Kevin

Your experience doesn't look like a one off either. I had friends travelled on the same outbound flight as you.

Their holiday was only for a week and the flight they returned on was delayed for 2 hours and they had problems with the in-flight entertainment so it meant they had delays and no entertainment both ways!

[msnsad]

KevinT
28-05-2005, 21:01
Christine
I'm sure its not an isolated event as they seem ill equipped for long haul flights. I had already booked another flight via them for Sept. but am seriously thinking of cancelling and trying for the Sat. flight with Monarch.
I notice from BATA website that minimum seat pitch is 28" including an allowance for seat thickness and that Excelair declare a 30"
seat pitch on their long haul flights. The 747 might have been 30"
but the 767 - no way!! more like 25 or less. It really was uncomfortably tight legroom. Did your friends comment on the legroom?

Dopeysfriend
28-05-2005, 21:34
Kevin

On the return flight they said that the plane was a different type to that going out.

They said the leg room was bad and they were sitting at the back of one of the sections and were unable to recline their seats!

On a positive note they said the food was very nice. Doesn't quite make up for the rest of the problems though.

KevinT
29-05-2005, 17:42
Sounds like the same plane then. I've travelled on 767 - 300s before many times and not had a problem, but this one seems to have more seat rows, making legroom much tighter.
On the plus side , they did get us there and back safely and the food was OK. One strange thing was that the lady in the next seat to me had paid extra for food (and more legroom !) We were through a different company and meals were included in the ticket price. As far as I could see, there were no "premium" seats on that plane as the seats were economy type from the cockpit back.

LiesaAnna
31-05-2005, 00:45
oh crikey Kevin! this sounds horrendos!!! i should think at times like this i will be saying, "thank goodness for Virgin" havent had them sort of problems yet, have decided to go with Virgin, i feel better the devil you know!

george
31-05-2005, 02:51
We went to Egypt with Excel. It was very good. leather seats and good leg room as standard.

DisneyDreamer
01-06-2005, 01:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
oh crikey Kevin! this sounds horrendos!!! i should think at times like this i will be saying, "thank goodness for Virgin" havent had them sort of problems yet, have decided to go with Virgin, i feel better the devil you know!
[/quote]

Me too Liesa, especially with young children, worth every penny

Kevin, sorry to hear about your horrendous flights. Let's hope that others who experienced problems put pen to paper also. Let us know how you get on......

twarde
11-06-2005, 16:51
Does anyone know any more about this Newcastle flight is running? I noticed it arrived back yesterday almost 8 hours late. We will be going on this flight at the end of this month and i'm not expecting it to go well.

KevinT
15-06-2005, 14:53
Hi Tony,

Yes , I think the Excel flights are still running on the Thursday Newcastle/ Sanford route.
(Thats if they're not so delayed that they have slipped back a day!! :D:D)

As a footnote to my earlier comments, I wrote personally to the Chairman of Excel, Eamonn Mullaney over two weeks ago, and guess what - - NO REPLY SO FAR !! not even an acknowledgement.
No surprises there then. Will try again with recorded delivery this time.

I also wrote to the travel company here in Durham and received a superb letter back from their director offering two alternatives for our September flight, neither of which were suitable, but I did very much appreciate his offer. A money back cancel refund was also offered if we could notify them by the end of June. In the absence of a reply from Excel I think that could be the answer. Although it would mean re - arranging the journeys possibly via Gatwick it would be my small protest against Excel. It's such a pity that the travel companies who survive on good customer service have to rely on some giant airline combines who obviously don't care a jot as long as they get your money up front.

julieanne
16-06-2005, 16:44
The Excel flight from Newcastle today departed only 1 hour and 8 minutes late [msnoo]

KevinT
16-06-2005, 21:40
My wife knows someone on yesterdays flight so we'll get the lowdown when she returns !![msnwink]

moodyvilla
17-06-2005, 12:40
I vowed about 5 years ago to keep away from charter flights so even though we live about 30 miles from Newcastle airport our preference would be to fly from either Manchester or Gatwick rather than the gamble on a charter.

Dopeysfriend
17-06-2005, 18:25
Are you sure there was actually an excel flight on Thursday 16th from Newcastle.

I have been keeping a watch on excel just to see how they are doing and have Newcastle departures and Sanford arrivals in my favourites and the Newcastle flight didn't show on either on Thursday!

KevinT
17-06-2005, 23:17
Perhaps they are now running so late they are afraid to publish them !!:D

twarde
18-06-2005, 02:43
It came back this morning Friday 3 hours 40 minutes late.
We chased Thomas Cook (Orchid) for our tickets yesterday (we go on 30th)and they insisted we were on a TCX flight which leaves NCL about 13:00.
I'll see what the tickets say if they ever arrive.

julieanne
20-06-2005, 00:53
Are you sure there was actually an excel flight on Thursday 16th from Newcastle.

I have been keeping a watch on excel just to see how they are doing and have Newcastle departures and Sanford arrivals in my favourites and the Newcastle flight didn't show on either on Thursday!

[/quote]

I have them in my favs too and saw it on Newcastles departure board on Thursday 16th - departed at 12.18 (should have been 11.10).

Marlyn
22-06-2005, 03:23
We flew Excel from Newcastle on 26th May knew there had been problems so when they started boarding us at 10.30am for a 11.10 departure we thought great, once we were all on board they said there was a problem with the paper work, then that we would have to go to Manchester to refuel, they had us sitting on the plane for 5 hours before we left Manchester at 3.30pm then we had to face a 9 hour flight, on the way back we were delayed for 8 hour (they gave us a voucher for $12[msnmad])seat on the plane on the way there were O K but on the way back you could not even get the tray down right.To top it all it rained for a week NEVER again with them what I don't understand is that 2 years ago ther was 4 flight a week in the summer from Newcastle now there is only 2 so we don't have much choice

julieanne
22-06-2005, 13:01
Oh dear - Excel aren't doing well in the popularity stakes are they.

Marlyn - this year is the first time in a lot of years I've flown from Newcastle so I haven't been checking how many flights they do. Can only guess there isn't the demand - but with a service like this there never will be will there????

KevinT
22-06-2005, 16:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Oh dear - Excel aren't doing well in the popularity stakes are they.

Marlyn - this year is the first time in a lot of years I've flown from Newcastle so I haven't been checking how many flights they do. Can only guess there isn't the demand - but with a service like this there never will be will there????
[/quote]

As far as I know there are just two direct flights a week from N/C to Sanford. The Excel flight on Thurdays and the Saturday one (Monarch). Excel's customer service seems to be non existent. Having written twice to their Chairman (one letter by recorded delivery) I have received precisely - NOTHING!!! not even an acknowledgement.
The local travel company here in Durham on the other hand has been brilliant. Their director has spoken to both Thomas Cook Holidays (The main operator) and Thomson (the second large operator involved) to try to get the aircraft changed to either Thomas Cook's own plane or Brittania but was told they couldn't spare the planes from other routes. So it looks like Excel have the monopoly for the time being. The 767 being used is a single class one with no premium seats , so the abysmal seat pitch is the same throughout.

twarde
23-06-2005, 16:53
Today with just a week to go before we fly, we got a letter from Orchid Travel telling us our flight was with Excel. There was no mention of a change from TCX despite them telling us TCX flight codes and departure times just a week ago. Also we have to pick up the tickets at the airport even though we've been booked almost a year.

Todays flight left 1 hour and 5 minutes late.

To cap it all Newcastle Airport workers are due to strike the day we go.[msnmad]

KevinT
23-06-2005, 17:14
Tony,
Apparently last weeks flight actually arrived at Sanford early !
I will be very interested to hear your comments about the plane and service when you return.

twarde
17-07-2005, 19:41
Just to let you know how our flights with Excel went. In summary not great but not bad either.

On the way out we were delayed just over an hour while Excel were trying to get a better flight plan. In the end the new flight time was estimated 6 minutes longer than the original plan!

The plane was a 767-300 single class with 325 seats in 2-4-2 config. The seat pitch was tight. I've been on worse to Europe but not by much. Ryanair's ancient 737-200's have more leg room.

Cabin service was ok. We got a hot meal and a snack. There didn't seem to be any free water.

The in flight films were almost unwatchable on the 3 projection screens at the front of each cabin. There was the usual problem of seeing past people's heads etc but these video projectors were in need of some serious maintenance and calibration. Also most of the music channels didn't work.

We were near the back and it was the noisiest plane i've ever been on. In fact I bought some noise cancellation headphones for the return flight.

When we arrived at Sanford there were 7 or 8 UK charter flights in and we had to wait 40 minutes for a stand. We were then held on the plane for another 15 minutes by immigration, presumably because they were swamped.

After passing through immigration we waited another hour for our luggage.

It seemed that Sanford just can't cope with this volume of arrivals, so it was important to get off on time.

Our return flight was on time. We were stuck in the back again and my noise cancellation headphones worked quite well (Maxell, $35 in Wallmart).

A tip for coming back. Whatever it says on your tickets, check in opens at midday for this flight. So check in early if you want a seat at the (quieter) front.[8D]

Tony.

KevinT
17-07-2005, 22:56
Sounds like you fared better than us Tony, as our flights were delayed by over 4 hours in both directions. Looks like they are still using the same badly equipped 767 with uncomfortably tight seat pitch.
After 4 letters to Excel (the last was by recorded delivery, so I know they got it)I still haven't had the courtesy of an acknowledgement of my letters. I have written to the AUC (Air travel Users Council) to ask them to investigate Excels seat pitch on that aircraft as I am sure it is about 25" - well short of even the tightest competitors at around 28" to 30".
Whether they actually have the power to discipline Excel is another thing. I recently found a forum on the web of people commenting on various airlines and the Excel site makes interesting reading!
I would agree that we have suffered equally tight legroom on domestic and short haul flights
and to me , that is acceptable for a 2+ hour journey, but having your knees scuffed and not being able to open your table fully for 9 hours is beyond a joke !!
We are having to travel with them again in September and I phoned our travel company just last week to see if there was any other class of seats on that plane , but I was told that there was only economy. Guess we'll have to be there at 6am to plead for bulkhead or emergency door seats !!
[msnsad]

Susan
21-07-2005, 15:34
We flew Excel Airlines last September, never again. Both aircrafts were old and tatty. Here is the email of complaint we sent to them:

"I have just returned from a holiday in Orlando with flights on your airline (flight nos. EUK844 outbound 9 September and EUK845 inbound 16 September) and feel compelled to express my anger.

The outbound flight was delayed by over 2 hours due to the lack of fuel in Orlando. However the flight itself was not a pleasant one, the TV in the section we were seated in did not work, sometimes you had vision but not sound, and on an 8/9 hour flight some form of entertainment is necessary. Also the 'PA' system was laughable - we knew the aircrew was speaking, but had no idea what was said as the speakers were very poor.

The return journey was a complete fiasco from start to finish. We arrived at Sanford Airport at 1200 hours (we thought we could check our bags in and then go off airport for lunch before departure) as our flight to Gatwick was at 1700 hours. However, when we got to the airport we were horrified to see that the queue for check-in stretched outside the airport and ran the whole length of the building. We dropped the hire car off and joined the end of the ever growing queue and stood outside in 90° heat for 3 hours before we finally made it into the airport (the air conditioning inside was non-existent) to continue queuing for another 2 and a half hours. Obviously there was no way that the flight would leave at 1700 hours and the departure time was changed to 1730, then 1800 hours. Once we made it through check-in we hoped we would have time to grab a snack and a drink (as we had not eaten since breakfast)and visit the Duty Free shops in the departure lounge. This was not possible as we were told to go straight to the boarding gate. Another disaster. We queued again as there were four flights trying to board through a very small space, announcements were made which could not be heard, there were so many people in such a confined space which cannot be compliant with health and safety regulations. Once through the boarding gate we assumed that queuing was over and that we would board the plane, but yet again we had to queue, as there was only one person taking the boarding cards. We eventually took off at 1955 hours. The plane was worse than the one going out, there was no TV at all on this one!!

We landed around 0930 hours the next morning (we were scheduled to land at 0615 hours) and got through customs around 1040 hours. We had seats booked on the 0930 hours coach back to Sheffield which we obviously missed. We went to the National Express desk and was told that the next coach to Sheffield was at 1115 hours, but was full and we would have to wait for the 1545 hour one which meant that we would not arrive home until 2200 hours. After the horrendous flight I was not prepared to hang around the airport for a further 4 hours and so paid £105 for rail tickets to allow us to get home at a reasonable time.

Your airline and the airport were far from professional and I find it totally unacceptable that you can treat your paying passengers with such disregard and treat them like cattle, being herded from one queue to the next. I spoke to a member of the airport staff who said that Thursdays and Fridays were their busiest days. If you know this is a busy time you should have the staff in place to deal with it and not expect passengers especially those with children to put up with all the delays.

I would also like to know why we had to pay extra for our meals when the same meal was given to everyone.

This is the first time we have flown into Sanford Airport and I guarantee you it was our last. The word I would use to express my opinion of your airline is incompetent.

I would at least expect reimbursement of the cost of the train tickets and await your response."

Got the standard reply and no refund of train tickets.

Sue

KevinT
21-07-2005, 18:05
You're lucky Susan!! you got a reply. After 4 letters to Excel I still haven't had a response.
I wrote to the Airlines Users Council (AUC), the airlines/airports "watchdog" about my concerns about the plane they were using from Newcastle, and yesterday I got a letter from AUC.

One paragraph! saying they had read my comments about Excel, but "did not feel they would be able to help me" They provided an information pack (a double sided A4 sheet) which basically says that the seating pitch on aircraft is based on the maximum capacity of the aircraft being used and as long as the emergency exits are not blocked , and passengers are able to get out of their seats in an emergency - then the bottom line is the airlines can please themselves how many seats they cram in - and passenger comfort does not come into it! [msnsad]

They do say in the information pack that another organisation, EASA (European Aviation Safety
Agency) are researching the problem and hope to bring some standardisation of seating pitch in by "the second quarter of 2006" [:O]

Looks like we as passengers do not get any form of redress whatsoever and the companies like Excel can just do as they please. Their only criteria seems to be to get you from A to B.
What happens in between appears to be of little interest to them as they already have full payment by then. [msnmad]

Susan
21-07-2005, 21:51
Hi Kevin, I only sent emails and didn't get a reply to my first 2 when I put "Complaint" the subject heading. However, when I changed the subject heading to "Excel Flights" and put a receipt on the email, it was opened and replied to some 6 days later. This was my first experience of Sanford Airport and long haul charter flights and I dont think I'll be using either again.

I hope your trip in September goes smoothly.[msnscared]

Sue

KevinT
21-07-2005, 23:10
Sue,
We actually prefer Sanford to Orlando MCO. I wouldn't necessarily judge it from one or two experiences.
Although they do get swamped out sometimes when several flights accumulate, we have had many occasions when we breeze through the immigration hall/ baggage collection and customs and even the car hire desks. I find the drive down the 417 Greeneway gets me into the habit of right side driving again as the traffic is usually light, so by the time we get to Orlando/Kissimmee
I'm driving like a true Floridian !! [msnscared]

MCO is more stressful to me, having to claim your luggage once , then surrender it again while you go through ever tighter security checks and scans, then waiting to pick up the cases again on a different floor, then finding the car hire desk on another floor and claiming the car from the multi storey park and being hurled out onto the city roads at rush times. [:O]

I do hope that you reconsider using Sanford again - it's not always that frenetic. It's usually
the delayed planes that cause the pile up which isn't Sanford's fault, it's certain airlines !!
Which brings us back to the thread subject !! [msnsad]

julieanne
22-07-2005, 13:44
I've got to say I have only had good experiences at Sanford airport :)
Altho can't say the same of some of the flights carrying me there [msnmad]

LiesaAnna
22-07-2005, 23:32
never been to sanford and am looking forward to it!!;)

23-07-2005, 00:10
I have been flying into Orlando International since 1983 and have never had to que for anything even in August, don't know what all the fuss is about[msnwink]

KevinT
23-07-2005, 00:31
MCO has never been the same for us since my M-I-L (who is 76 and has often been caught trying to smuggle in Christmas Puddings, suet , baked beans (and other highly explosive foodstuff) had to remove her shoes and be frisked. Emerging from the screening area we apprehended another elderly passenger wandering off with my M-I-L's shoes - obviously liked the colour of hers better than her own !! :D:D

KevinT
24-07-2005, 23:08
I almost choked on my cornflakes yesterday !! A letter from Excel finally dropped on the doormat[:O][:O] two months after flight date.

Having already received a reply back from AUC - the airlines watchdog ( [laugh])- a one paragraph note stating that they couldn't help and basically saying that it was up to individual airlines how many seats they crammed onto their aircraft, as long as it didn't block access to emergency exits, I was not expecting much of a response from Excel. I wasn't disappointed.

Having apologised for the fact that their service was "somewhat lacking on this occasion" they go on to explain that "in order to achieve the seat rates, which the tour operators need to produce inclusive holidays at attractive prices, it is essential that the high density configuration is employed. To remove a row of seats as you suggested (I didn't!! I suggested they put an aircraft more suitably equipped for long haul flights on that route) would reduce the number of seats available to Tour Operators without reducing the cost of the flight, thus resulting in higher holiday costs"

Ah , that explains it. It's my fault for wanting flight only and not a package holiday.

They go on to say "Please be assured that the seat pitch on all our aircraft conforms to the standards set by the Civil Aviation Authority and other regulatory bodies."

I don't think the CAA would agree that 25" is sufficient for long haul aircraft. (I'm taking a tape measure on our next trip). [msnwink]

So I guess that's it. They can squash in as many seats as they want and reduce the in flight entertainment to almost nothing, regardless of customer discomfort - and nobody, not even the airline watchdog can tell them otherwise. [msnsad]

Robert5988
24-07-2005, 23:48
Kevin,
On the subject of seat pitch, all of the publicity about Deep Vein Thrombosis(DVT) seems to have disappeared. If DVT is considered to be a problem on scheduled airlines with a 32 inch pitch, how much more so when you are crammed in some of these charter flights seats for 9 hours. Especially as you are now discouraged from getting up and walking about to stretch your legs.

I have only once flown to Sandford but have picked up and returned family and friends many times. Every time there have been lengthy delays on the flights, horrendous queues to book in and long waits for baggage/immigration. I will never ever use a charter flight again. Also Sanford is a 20 mile longer trip.

KevinT
25-07-2005, 01:15
Robert,

I'm afraid Charter flights are a necessary evil for us as we live in the North East. We have flown many different airlines over the years both charter and schedule, but if we want to go by
scheduled we need to take two planes, one to Gatwick or Heathrow (for some reason there isn't a plane from Newcastle to Manchester) and then another flight to Orlando. As we have a 76 year old travelling with us this makes the extended journeys more stressful for her.

I certainly would agree with you that the schedule experiences have been better, but until
they start running them from Newcastle direct, I guess we're stuck with the charters ! [msnsad]

At present we only have a choice of two flights Thursday with Excel or Saturday with Monarch.

On the subject of DVT, one of the websites I researched (BATA)
state that there is "no proven connection between DVT and long haul
flying". Excel are a member of BATA and claim their long haul
aircraft have a minimum seat pitch of 30" - the same as Thomas Cook and Monarch. Having had no difficulties with either of the other two companies economy seats I can only surmise that the Excel seats are well short of their claim of 30".

Robert5988
25-07-2005, 02:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Excel are a member of BATA and claim their long haul
aircraft have a minimum seat pitch of 30" - the same as Thomas Cook and Monarch. Having had no difficulties with either of the other two companies economy seats I can only surmise that the Excel seats are well short of their claim of 30".[/quote]

Apparently there is no industry standard for measuring seat pitch.

KevinT
25-07-2005, 14:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Excel are a member of BATA and claim their long haul
aircraft have a minimum seat pitch of 30" - the same as Thomas Cook and Monarch. Having had no difficulties with either of the other two companies economy seats I can only surmise that the Excel seats are well short of their claim of 30".[/quote]

Apparently there is no industry standard for measuring seat pitch.
[/quote]

Apparently not ! [msnsad]

As a footnote I received [u]another</u> letter from Excel this morning dated 22nd July (the previous one is dated "21st) saying exactly the same thing as the last one. [msneek]

Marlyn
27-07-2005, 03:01
Hi Kevin

We have just had a reply back from Excel, think it must have been the same as your's word for word, there was a two page spread in the local paper last week about them, not that it will do any good
[msnmad]

27-07-2005, 10:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marlyn
Hi Kevin

We have just had a reply back from Excel, think it must have been the same as your's word for word, there was a two page spread in the local paper last week about them, not that it will do any good
[msnmad]
[/quote]

What was the news paper saying Marlyn?

Marlyn
27-07-2005, 16:15
It was about all the delays Excel are having on the Newcastle flights.
In the Evening Chronicle on 7th July

KevinT
28-07-2005, 00:46
Hi Marlyn,

Sounds like you had the same response as we did.

I rang Excel today to see about booking extra legroom seats for September. Its £64 each and they only had two E/L seats left (Theres 3 of us travelling!!). I think the letters are just stock forms that they put your name and address on!! [msnsad]
I'm not surprised that the Evening Chronicle ran an article on them. There were a LOT of very angry North East people on our flight, but I think you're right - at the end of the day they
won't be bothered.

twarde
04-08-2005, 00:59
Since travelling on the Excel 767, I've been to Amsterdam on Jet2 737 from Leeds. Jet2, although a low cost airline, has a couple of inches more legroom.

Tony.

Marlyn
25-08-2005, 22:48
Excel have done it again, this one will be hard to beat the plane should have left at 11.10 this morning it is now 6.45pm and it has still not left

Dopeysfriend
26-08-2005, 01:45
Now 21:45 and the Newcastle departure board shows check in delayed!!

KevinT
26-08-2005, 14:05
They've certainly "Excel - led" themselves this time!!! :D:D

I was supposed to meet some friends of ours at Newcastle at 06:40 this morning (coming in on the
Sanford Excel plane). They telephoned me last night to say that they had been told their plane
was delayed by at least 24 hours !! Excel have had to put them all in a Sheraton Hotel for the night. [:O] The Newcastle arrivals board just shows "indefinite delay"

Their customer service team must be bracing themselves for an onslaught this time [msneek]

LiesaAnna
26-08-2005, 15:32
I have requested for your family to be seated behind you. If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. Hope you have a good flight with Excel Airways.
unquote

these people are being so helpful to us!! we have been dealing with Air Atlanta and now hes saying Excel airways, bit confused, still none the wiser as to who we are flying with, but they have booked me a bulkhead seat along with my daughter and her toddler son, then they contacted me to ask for names of the rest of our party so they can have them sit near to us!! more then what virgin ever did!!
so far so good with them, lets hope the plane doesnt let us down!!
still only 33 days![msnwink]

julieanne
26-08-2005, 16:18
They've certainly "Excel - led" themselves this time!!! :D:D

I was supposed to meet some friends of ours at Newcastle at 06:40 this morning (coming in on the
Sanford Excel plane). They telephoned me last night to say that they had been told their plane
was delayed by at least 24 hours !! Excel have had to put them all in a Sheraton Hotel for the night. [:O] The Newcastle arrivals board just shows "indefinite delay"

Their customer service team must be bracing themselves for an onslaught this time [msneek]
[/quote]

How awful for all those poor passengers [msnsad]

Doesn't look as is the outbound flight has left yet [msnoo] [msnoo]

The curse of Excel strikes again [msnmad] [msnmad]

26-08-2005, 16:40
Julie I am sure they are now part of TCD/Air Atlanta? Which explains alot[msnmad][msnmad]

Marlyn
26-08-2005, 17:09
It took off today at 12.58 nearly 26 hours late

KevinT
28-08-2005, 15:40
Our friends arrived back yesterday at mid day. (30 hours later than scheduled arrival at Newcastle!)They had been accommodated overnight at a Sheraton Hotel at a cost to Excel of $69 per room + $9 for breakfast and further vouchers at Sanford where they had spent the day since 9.30 am Friday morning, until 12 pm when they took off. Multiplying that by around 260 passengers comes to ........a lot of lost revenue!!!

They said that when they could find Excel staff to ask at Sanford they were fobbed off with untruths. First the plane was coming out from UK, then it was being flown in from Cuba and would be there in two hours, then after more than two hours they were told it had just taken off from Cuba, and after several hours were told it had been rerouted via Dominican Republic!

Think I'd better cancel my weeks schedule for when we return in October to give them a "window" for approximate arrival!! :D:D

Dopeysfriend
05-09-2005, 01:19
There is a story in todays Sunday Mirror about some people in the Dominican Republic who are refusing to fly back on their Excel plane. It said that one of the planes engines failed and it had to turn round. So the passengers don't trust it and won't get back on. Who can blame them?

It also mentions the Newcastle Excel flight fiasco last week.

Doesn't matter how cheap they are I certainly won't be using them!!

KevinT
13-09-2005, 05:11
Certainly not wishing to use Excel again, yesterday I tried to book the Saturday flight from Newcastle for next year on a Saturday in May. The tour operators website kept telling me there were no seats left for the Saturday and kept offering me Thursdays instead with Excel. In desperation I phoned the tour operator this morning where a charming lady said that a block of seats had just been released for the Saturday flights , but that also because of the sheer number of complaints about Excel, Monarch are doing the Thursday flights from NCL next year.
Booked straight away. Looks like I had company when I complained . [clap][clap] Lots of company!! [msnwink]

julieanne
13-09-2005, 16:27
Good news about Monarch Kevin - but are Excel still doing the weekend flights?

KevinT
13-09-2005, 19:54
Julie,

Monarch are already doing the Saturday flights. Apparently they're starting Thursdays too for next year. Not sure yet whether this is instead of /or as well as the Excel one.

I had also contacted First Choice who have been doing fortnightly flights from NCL on Sundays, but they emailed back to say they weren't operating those flights next year. [msnsad]

ujpest doza
13-09-2005, 20:39
I've never flown Excell before and was under the impression that their seat pitch etc was quite good.

I am flying to Ibiza with them in 3 weeks time, i hope to god its okay as we fly at 1800 and therefore if delayed will be delayed into the night and the same coming home as the return is at 2300.

KevinT
14-09-2005, 00:29
Graham,

As long as there are no delays on your flights, Ibiza should be OK via Excel. Being only a couple of hours journey, I could put up with some discomfort.

My complaint (and many other long haul passengers too!) was that from Newcastle they are using a 767 that is very obviously equipped for short haul flights for transatlantic journeys of up to nine hours.
Apart from the very serious lack of legroom, the inbound plane was divided into three compartments and had nothing but economy seats and just one screen per compartment (about 28 rows of seats)I could not even see our screen clearly with my specs on from my row.
When this plane is out of service they are occasionally running delays of 24 to 30 hours.

I daresay that on short haul flights they provide a perfectly adequate service.

I hope you have a great time in Ibiza with no problems [lucky][lucky]

julieanne
14-09-2005, 12:49
Julie,

Monarch are already doing the Saturday flights. Apparently they're starting Thursdays too for next year. Not sure yet whether this is instead of /or as well as the Excel one.

<span style="color:red">I had also contacted First Choice who have been doing fortnightly flights from NCL on Sundays, but they emailed back to say they weren't operating those flights next year. [msnsad]
[/quote]</span id="red">

That's a shame - I enjoyed my FC flight back to Newcastle(even tho outbound was a disaster!!!). And I certainly enjoyed the shorter drive home - would have used them again [msncry]

KevinT
14-09-2005, 14:31
Post arrived this morning with invoice for our May 06 flights. Brilliant - that's sorted!! [clap][clap]

Wait a minute !! Flight code -- XLA !!! (Excel) Pause for blood pressure to settle [msnmad]

Straight on the phone to the tour operators -- "Why is the code not MON (Monarch)?" [msneek]

"Sorry - our mistake, definitely Monarch --we'll send you a new invoice"

Phhhhhewwww !! pass the Kalms !! :D:D

imported_n/a
14-09-2005, 15:39
Went with excel august 05 to minorca we arrived in minorca case stayed in manchester for three days, wrote to excel when we came back,they replyed apopogising for the flight delay.our flight was on time,rang them to tell them that said the wrong letter had gone out oops.got another letter hard luck claim off your insursance,fly with them again dont think so.
allenc[drinkbeer]

Marlyn
14-09-2005, 22:51
We flew home on Saturday to Newcastle with Monarch ( Great flight) at the check in desk there was a lady asking if we had flown with Excel before, told her all about our flight with them in May/June she was very interested so they must be fed up with them at Sanford as well [clap][clap]

Marlyn
21-09-2005, 01:48
don't know if it is true, but have just heard that Excel have gone burst

stabard
21-09-2005, 02:25
Would not surpise me!

KevinT
21-09-2005, 13:10
Me Neither!! As they are part of a bigger group incl. Air Atlanta and TCD I would have thought that it would make news headlines. [msneek]
We're supposed to be travelling with them next Thurs and I haven't heard anything from the tour op. [msnscared] so assume they are still running.

Dopeysfriend
22-09-2005, 00:39
Good luck Kevin.

I'll be thinking about you!

KevinT
22-09-2005, 13:24
Thanks Christine - just pleased I'm not with Excel next year! [msnsmile2]

julieanne
22-09-2005, 16:00
Kevin - I'll be watching the Newcastle departures with interest next Thursday.

Fingers crossed that all goes well for you....

LiesaAnna
22-09-2005, 16:03
and if he posted his photo in the rogues gallery then i couldve looked out for him in sanford (providing ours goes on time)[msnwink]

KevinT
22-09-2005, 16:58
Thanks Julie, Will let you know what happens.

Liesa,
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/kevint/2005922125615_KEVIN4.jpg

You next

[msnwink]

Marlyn
22-09-2005, 17:34
It departed today at 12.20 Good luck for next week

LiesaAnna
22-09-2005, 17:45

Thanks Julie, Will let you know what happens.

Liesa,
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/kevint/2005922125615_KEVIN4.jpg

You next

[msnwink]
[/quote]

mines now in the rogues (photo gallery)

KevinT
22-09-2005, 21:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marlyn
It departed today at 12.20 Good luck for next week
[/quote]

1 hour and 10 mins. late. Hey - not bad for Excel !!!:D:D

julieanne
29-09-2005, 15:38
Been checking to see what time Kevin's flight got away this morning. It went at 11.26 - only sixteen minutes late [msnsmile2]
So a good start for him :D

Anyone know what time Liesa was due to go???

29-09-2005, 16:03
Been checking to see what time Kevin's flight got away this morning. It went at 11.26 - only sixteen minutes late [msnsmile2]

[/quote]

No I asked her to post her flight number so I could track it but she must have been too excited, but from memory I think she was due to go around 10am???

Dopeysfriend
30-09-2005, 02:09
Mach 2. Would you ever go with excel?

30-09-2005, 02:35
Mach 2. Would you ever go with excel?
[/quote]

No! They are all part of the same company AA/TCD/Excel[msnwink]

Are you stalking me[msnscared]

KevinT
30-09-2005, 22:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

[/quote]

No I asked her to post her flight number so I could track it but she must have been too excited, but from memory I think she was due to go around 10am???
[/quote]

Julie,
Here I am in sunny Fl. (90F)
Must admit to being gobsmacked! The Excel plane was not only just 16 mins late taking off, but arrived only 5 mins late at Sanford.
The plane was a 767 - 300 with reasonable seat pitch. (Far cry from the one they have been using on that route) Even though I had booked extra legroom, I think I could have managed with the normal seats. The captain who was either Canadian or American was quite a character and announced that they had taken photos of the takeoff and landing and if anyone cared to give him their emails he would send copies of the photos on to them.
Maybe he considered it a landmark in his career to have taken off somewhere near the correct time :D:D
Got through Sanford Immigration in record time and got fixed up with a car really fast from Dollar via Roger.
All in all a pleasant experience. Still can't quite believe it.
We'll see whether they revert to form for the return trip! [msnscared]

30-09-2005, 22:08

[/quote]

[/quote]

Julie,
Here I am in sunny Fl. (90F)
Must admit to being gobsmacked! The Excel plane was not only just 16 mins late taking off, but arrived only 5 mins late at Sanford.
The plane was a 767 - 300 with reasonable seat pitch. (Far cry from the one they have been using on that route) Even though I had booked extra legroom, I think I could have managed with the normal seats. The captain who was either Canadian or American was quite a character and announced that they had taken photos of the takeoff and landing and if anyone cared to give him their emails he would send copies of the photos on to them.
Maybe he considered it a landmark in his career to have taken off somewhere near the correct time :D:D
Got through Sanford Immigration in record time and got fixed up with a car really fast from Dollar via Roger.
All in all a pleasant experience. Still can't quite believe it.
We'll see whether they revert to form for the return trip! [msnscared]

[/quote]

I really pleased Kevin I know you were worried, I will keep fingers crossed for your return, now get off and enjoy your hols - wish I was there[msnwink]

Just realised this was probably for Julieanne not me! Sorry Kevin! Enjoy[msnsmile2]

Dopeysfriend
01-10-2005, 01:17
Mach 2 don't flatter yourself. Bye for now.

julieanne
01-10-2005, 03:59
Great news Kevin - fingers crossed your return journey is as good.
But don't think about that now - just enjoy your holiday [8D]

01-10-2005, 12:02
[/quote]

Please could I just point out forum rules...........

"No Personal Attacks

This includes harassments, flames and other forms of annoying behaviour."

Macka
01-10-2005, 12:08
[/quote]

Please could I just point out forum rules...........

"No Personal Attacks

This includes harassments, flames and other forms of annoying behaviour."

[/quote]

I agree, debate by all means, but there's no need for a personal, hurtful remark like that, how rude.

Dopeysfriend
01-10-2005, 14:11
I was accused of stalking so I replied. Lets leave it alone now.

01-10-2005, 19:04
I was accused of stalking so I replied. Lets leave it alone now.
[/quote]

No accusation what so ever, I merely ask the question [msnwink]

As for leaving it alone now - is should never have come to this[msnmad]

KevinT
02-10-2005, 02:01
Both Julies (Mach 2) & (Julieanne)

Message was for both of you [msnsmile2]

Thankyou for your replies - will let you know about the return journey. [msnwink]

KevinT
14-10-2005, 15:27
Got back 7:12 am this morning. The Excel plane was on time getting into Sanford and we boarded
more or less on time. Taxied out a few hundred yards and stopped. Waited and waited and waited[msnsad] After about 40 mins the captain explained that we had two engineers aboard as the on - board computers were showing an open hatch door, whereas visual checks proved they were all safely shut. Finally took off about one hour late. Made up about 10/15 mins on way back. Still -better safe than sorry! [msneek]
Glad I had booked extra legroom for both journeys as the plane back was the dreaded Spanish cattle truck! code named "Golden India".

julieanne
14-10-2005, 16:12
Welcome home Kevin.
Pleased to hear the flights were bearable [msnwink]