PDA

View Full Version : OMG where do I begin!

Twiglet
05-04-2005, 09:17
Hello everyone

Well I am new to the site, found it through a search, and have never been to Florida before.[lucky]

I am from the UK, but live in Australia now, and I am trying to organise a family reunion in Florida, with 3 sisters and their families flying from the UK to meet my own family there.

We thought we would rent a villa (or maybe two) as there will be 4 families between us, 9 adults and 7 children! The family plan to meet up in 2007, I know that's a long way ahead, but we need to all save. [msnsmile2]

So I thought I would start looking around and getting a feel, so we know what to aim for savings wise, and also see if its practical, eg can we find suitable accommodation in Florida to fit us all! [msneek]

So where would a good place be to start, I am a bit nervous about doing it on line, and finding a genuinely good accommodation and not getting ripped off. I also will need to look into travel at some stage, I can't imagine what driving on the other side of the road would be like

Thanks guys, hope this makes sense!

Newhomebuyer
05-04-2005, 12:00
Hi Twiglet,
You certainly have come to the right place.
There are lots of beautiful properties which would suit your needs advetised on this forum. I think there are some which are licensed for 16. Or you may decide you would prefer 2 close togeter, which you would also find. All the properties which you see on here have been verified and so you can rest assured that they will be as described.
Planning for a trip to Florida is sooooo exciting and everyone here will be pleased to help so just ask away and search around for a villa or villas knowing that you will be 'safe' when choosing from this site.

heathercobbett
05-04-2005, 12:50
Twiglet,it is not too soon to start looking.We have 2007 bookings already and I am sure most owners have.

Put a request on all 3 sites and sift through them

I would definitely recommend 2 villas to give you all some space and 2 cars to give you flexibility (girls shopping boys golf or fishing etc) We always get our car hire through this site which is fully inclusive and you can also get your park tickets on here as well

Anytime you have a query,come on here and somebody will know the answer.I am sure you will have the holiday of a lifetime.Give it 3 weeks if you can spare the time;there is so much to do and you want some time to appreciate your gorgeous villas!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 13:18
Most (if not all) of the 7 bed villas on our sites are licenced to sleep 16. Alternatively you could opt for two smaller villas. Whatever suits you and your party [msnsmile]

I know we regularly take big familiy reunions like this in our own 7 beds and they have a great time.

Lynne S
05-04-2005, 13:45
Hi Twiglet,

There are loads of wonderful villas on all 3 sites so enjoy looking at all our homes in the sun. 2007 is not to early to book, we have a booking for then.
Happy hunting and don't be afraid to ask us owners anything, everyone is friendly well, most are [msnwink]and will help all they can.[msnsmile2]

janny
05-04-2005, 14:08
All the homes listed on the three site connected with this forum have been verified by the site owners so you can book safe in the knowledge they are owned by the people you are dealing with .There is the facility to search for all the homes in one subdivision or community if you feel you would rather have two homes than all be in one together so maybe find one you like and ask for that area first making an enquiry does not commit you to anything.
Driving on the "wrong side" is daunting at first but you soon get the hang of it -don't know about Australia but its certainly easier than driving either here in UK or on the continent thats for sure !

DisneyDreamer
05-04-2005, 14:27
All of the villas on this site can be booked with confidence, we have booked our villa already for the Christmas/New Year period '06/7 on this site. It's particularly nice to be able to have contact with the villa owner who can generally answer any of your questions. With a party that large it would be worth getting your villa (villas?) sorted out as soon as you can...then save those dollars for a fantastic holiday[msncool]

luckylady
05-04-2005, 14:47
Hi Twiglet,
You are so lucky to have found this forum
You have hit the jackpot
All your question can and will be answered
You can if you wish arrange accommodation flights,carhire.park tickets all from this one forum
So many experts visit this forum and will give you all the advice you want
Enjoy arranging your holiday all adds to the excitement
Good Luck
Barbara

daxon
05-04-2005, 15:11
This is just how we started going to Florida - a big family trip. We loved it so much that we ended up buying three villas together, so that now we can go over all together or separately! Be careful!! You too may get addicted!!!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
05-04-2005, 17:43
have fun!!!!![msnwink]

chrizzy100
05-04-2005, 18:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Twiglet
Hello everyone

Well I am new to the site, found it through a search, and have never been to Florida before.[lucky]

I am from the UK, but live in Australia now, and I am trying to organise a family reunion in Florida, with 3 sisters and their families flying from the UK to meet my own family there.

We thought we would rent a villa (or maybe two) as there will be 4 families between us, 9 adults and 7 children! I feel the pressure of trying to find suitable accommodation. The family plan to meet up in 2007, I know that's a long way ahead, but we need to all save. [msnsmile2]

So I thought I would start looking around and getting a feel, so we know what to aim for savings wise, and also see if its practical, eg can we find suitable accommodation in Florida to fit us all! [msneek]

So where would a good place be to start, I am a bit nervous about doing it on line, and finding a genuinely good accommodation and not getting ripped off. I also will need to look into travel at some stage, I can't imagine what driving on the other side of the road would be like

Thanks guys, hope this makes sense!
[/quote]

Two villas sounds idea for 4 families....the kids could have sleep overs......and some of you could have down time while the kids are all next door or nearby with one or two of the adults.......

blott
05-04-2005, 18:38
Chrizzy, the kids can't have sleep overs if this means the home(s) would go over their maximum occupancy limit or the home owners risk losing their rental licence.

chrizzy100
05-04-2005, 19:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Chrizzy, the kids can't have sleep overs if this means the home(s) would go over their maximum occupancy limit or the home owners risk losing their rental licence.
[/quote]

I'm sure they'd not want ALL the kids in one house all at one time......I know I'd not.....LOL!

Just the kids who are of an age.....on different nights...[msnsmile2]

Maybe you were thinking pajama party Blott....!

blott
05-04-2005, 20:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

I'm sure they'd not want ALL the kids in one house all at one time......I know I'd not.....LOL!

Maybe you were thinking pajama party Blott....![/quote]No. I'm thinking just in response to your suggestion of 'sleep overs' which may not be appropriate, depending on how many people are sleeping in a particular home already. All rental homes are licensed for a maximum occupancy and exceeding that could lose the home owner their rental licence.

I know your home isn't licensed as you don't rent it out so you can sleep 950 kids in layers in it if you wished. :D I love kids and we've had lots of them in our home! :) Unfortunately, rental home owners just can't have more people sleeping in their homes without risking their licence, without which they can no longer rent their home.

John Rocke
05-04-2005, 21:22
hi Twiglet,

welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find all the info and comment you need on this site.

You might be able to help me and my family. We are going to Cairns and that coastline up to Daintree and then down to Sydney this July August. Have you been up there? and if so any recommendations.

As yet I have had no luck finding a site as informative or friendly as this one to put my questions.

best wishes

j rocke.

Twiglet
06-04-2005, 03:20
Oh thanks everyone, some really great advice there, and the two house does sound like a better option, and the two cars too....that's a great one....shopping car and golf car...very good. Gee you are all very smart!

I am going to enjoy the tips and ideas here!

John I used a couple of sites for my trip to Fiji a couple of years ago, and they have info on Australia too. Basically Australia is very friendly, very family friendly, and extremely CHEAP, especially if coming from UK, the pound is so strong. I have been to Cairns twice, and its fantastic, and has some amazing places to stay north of Cairns, on the beaches, and Port Douglas a little further ahead is really nice. Alternativley there is Surfers Parade which is great for kids with all the theme parks, that's further down the coast in Queensland, near NSW border. You could find many many wonderful places down the east coast.

Here are a couple of links for you that have suggestions and also family reviews, which are always helpful. If you have enough cash, I would strongly recommend a stop over on the way!

[website links edited - could you DM them to John please?]

trevlad
06-04-2005, 04:40
seems a good thread for evertone promoting there villas[msnwink].
hey why not. where are you living in aussie , twiglet . my sister in law is based in adelaide, been over there about 10 years or so. seems excellent - good luck with your search. there are some great villas and some great info on this site - good luck

Twiglet
07-04-2005, 07:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

[website links edited - could you DM them to John please?]

[/quote]

Gosh yes, sorry, no links allowed then! Gotcha!

I just worked out what DM means, that was my next question [laugh]

Genie
07-04-2005, 14:03
Hi I have lots of relatives in Australia, an Uncle of mine went over years ago and I have cousins in Perth, my Mum always wanted to go but never did and it is somewhere I would have loved to go, then we went to Florida and the rest is history............

mm69340
07-04-2005, 16:15
Twiglet! Have fun planning! I had a family from NY last Feb that was meeting up with her sister from Australia in our home, they had a blast!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy the plannin!

ctgirlscout
08-04-2005, 00:08

[i]

Don't be so sure, Chrizzy. I had a group in January that rented my house and a house across the street. They put ALL the kids, 10 of them under the age of 6, in my house! Apparently the women stayed in my house and the men went off to the other house! [msnmad] Did a lot of damage.

chrizzy100
08-04-2005, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

[i]

Don't be so sure, Chrizzy. I had a group in January that rented my house and a house across the street. They put ALL the kids, 10 of them under the age of 6, in my house! Apparently the women stayed in my house and the men went off to the other house! [msnmad] Did a lot of damage.
[/quote]

But I would think you would of had the same damage had everyone been in one house....even more so if they were that kind of people......[msnsad][msnsad]

Lyn
11-04-2005, 01:36
Blott, I am interested, if you let your home to say 8 people and 12 people stay in it, are you likely to lose your licence even though you only agreed to 8?[msnscared]

blott
11-04-2005, 03:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
Blott, I am interested, if you let your home to say 8 people and 12 people stay in it, are you likely to lose your licence even though you only agreed to 8?[msnscared]
[/quote]Yes! If a home owner loses their rental licence through over occupancy, or for any other reason, they can no longer rent their home out without breaking the law, simple as that.

Home owners (or their management companies) also have to keep a register of all the people who stay(ed) in their homes for the previous two years (to comply with Florida Law) so it's important to collect every guest's name too.

Ray&Sarah
28-07-2005, 20:59
Its awful to think that through no fault of your own you could end up losing your licence because guests didn't tell the truth about how many people were staying in the villa.[msnscared]
Twiglet hope you are having fun choosing a place to spend your holiday, I love the planning stage, makes things seem more real somehow.[msnsmile2]