PDA

View Full Version : Arriving Late in Miami

K4LGB
27-02-2003, 20:45
Greetings to all your Florida Experts

My fiancee and I fly into Miami during the evening of April 20th and plan to stay in an airport hotel before driving up to Orlando the following day.
We have heard various reports about tourists being targeted in Miami and it has been suggested that we do not pick up our hire car until the following morning.
Do you think this is the most sensible option?
Do you have any suggestions on hotels that run a shuttle service at Miami Airport?

Also, we plan to end our trip with a jaunt down to Key West, leaving Orlando on Wed 30th and eventually arriving at Miami for our evening flight back to the UK on Saturday 3rd May.
Does anyone have a suggested itinerary of things not to miss in the Everglades and the Keys. We did the Gulf Coast (Tampa & St Peterburg) last year so we want to make the most of our trip without spending all our time in the car!
Any attraction or hotel recommendations would be greatfully received as well.....

Many thanks in advance
Leslie

esprit
27-02-2003, 21:05
Never had any real problems in Miami. There are more homeless people in doorways etc than you would see in other places but nothing else really.

In the Glades, try Shark Valley Visitor Centre on the Tamiami Trail ( great guided tour) if you go to the Northern Glades ( between Naples and Fort Lauderdale) or Flamingo if you go to the Southern Glades south of Homestead. You can stay overnight at the Flamingo Lodge but make a reservation. Do an airboat ride ( these are stationed just on the borders of the national park) and visit one of the many Indian reservations and trading posts.

In the Keys, visit Key Largo for great snorkelling and the Dolphin Watch centre. And Key West for the armosphere.

blott
27-02-2003, 22:38
If you get to Key West, try and make a couple of hours to take the Conch train around the area. There's a local guide who drives and you get to see all the interesting homes and lots of inside info about the area.

If you're interested in paintings, there are a lot of art galleries and an original or print makes a great momento of your trip.

Also don't forget to see Ernest Hemingway's home which is also very interesting and another must do is the sunset ceremony at Mallory Square.

Oh, and at Key Largo, you can see the African Queen boat used by Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart in the film.

Harmony
27-02-2003, 23:34
A few years back and Miami did have a major crime problem targeted at tourists. However the police force had a big crackdown on crime and things are very different now. As with anywhere in the world it is wise to keep to the main tourist areas but you are probably in no greater danger in miami than in large city in England.

Relax and have a great holiday.

jeff

fiona
28-02-2003, 04:40
We stayed at South Beach for a couple of nights at the end of December prior to driving up to our villa. If you are staying there it might be better to collect the car the next day because the traffic is so bad it's not worth having a car.

Other parts of Miami were fine (traffic wise), so it really depends where you are staying. Just be sensible. We felt very safe - people on South Beach were quirky and offbeat rather than dangerous!

Matt
02-03-2003, 18:11
I have flown in to MIA a few times on trips over to Orlando. Only once have I done the drive up and back down again. If I go via Miami now, I always get an internal flight up. In fact, last year I flew into Miami, internal flight up to Orlando, collected the car then flew down to Key West (where a car isn't really needed (and you have to pay to park at the hotels down there!!), then flew back to Miami and home.

Works out about the same as keeping the car for that period of time, and also saves time as your not wasting a day or two drivin those long (and boring) highways.

Matt

UKAllan
03-03-2003, 15:01
How much is an internal flight from Miami to Orlando ?

fiona
03-03-2003, 16:25
I think it is about $50 with AA, if you have flown from LHR, but for 4 adults (as the 17 and 14yr old are now) it is much cheaper for us to drive up and down. Byt the time you've had a 2 hr wait for your connection I don't think there is much in it.

K4LGB
03-03-2003, 16:49
Thanks for your advice but we are doing this as a sort of touring holiday with respect to finding some places off the beaten track and I don't think we will manage that without a car. The roads may be long and boring if you do them in a single journey but we plan to make lots of stops to make the most of what's available on the way. If we were going for 2-weeks of parks then I understand "the waste of two days travelling" mentality but as we are just going for the sunshine the rest of the holiday is what we make of it (and seeing the inside of multiple airport terminals doesn't quite have the same appeal to us!)
Regards
Les

steph_goodrum
03-03-2003, 17:19
Les if your's looking to find some other facets to Florida these websites might interest you
www.natureconservancy.org
and
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks

There are many many more which you can find by doing searches, the beauty of many of the State parks is that they often cost less then $10 for a carload of people so buy yourself one of the $4 cooler boxes from Walmart/Publix and pack a picnic, you never know what you'll find.

netmum
12-03-2003, 14:13
Hi all,

I am flying in to Miami in April with my husband and two young children. We are planning to pick up our Alamo hire car at Miami and drive straight to our Orlando villa. Does anyone know how to get from the airport to Alamo car hire. Is it difficult with luggage and two children in tow? Also, any ideas how long the drive takes, which is the best route, and how much in toll money is needed?

Thanks

Rebecca

fiona
12-03-2003, 16:41
Rebecca we were with Alamo last time. You pick up a bus from the terminal which takes you to the Alamo depot. They come very regularly and the drivers are very helpful. If you are worried about the logistics of handling the luggage with the children you could consider a porter. We've never found the need but our girls were 7 and 11 when we first went.

Journey takes 3½/4 hours depending on length and number of pee stops! Can't remember how much it is, will ask my husband (who always remembers these things) and post it later - if someone else doesn't post in the meantime.

Harmony
12-03-2003, 17:18
Hi Rebecca,

If take the Florida Turnpike up to Orlando it's a very straight forward trip but you will need at least $12 for Toll fees. It took us 5 hours but with one driver we stopped and rested mid way. You can take lesser roads for free but they go through towns and take more time and navigation. Have a great time.

Jeff
P.S. Turnpike juction numbers refer to miles from start of turnpike at Miami.

netmum
15-03-2003, 12:38
Thanks for all the info and advice.

My DH wanted to fly internally, but I don't like flying, especially at the moment, so offered to share the driving. Hopefully it won't be too bad, especially if the kids sleep.

Rebecca