PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Driving licence

cmale35
05-04-2005, 02:45
We've just been informed that you need the photo id licence for driving in florida is this true?

John Rocke
05-04-2005, 02:48
i never have. All i have ever had to produce was a current clean licence.

jrocke.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 02:49
No it's not true. The old UK style one + photo ID (passport etc etc) is ok. If it's a valid licence in the UK then they will accept it [msnsmile]

The new photo driving licence is dead handy in Florida for other reasons though - some stores (e.g. Apple Store in Mall At Millennia) require photo ID if you are spending over a certain amount and the UK photo driving licence is perfect for the job and saves you having to carry round your passport.

caroline
05-04-2005, 02:49
No, Dave has the old style UK license and he's never had a problem:)

cmale35
05-04-2005, 02:53
thanks everyone for the response

andrewmckay5
05-04-2005, 02:59
I've never had a problem with my licence and that has points on for speeding so not "clean".
andrew
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke
i never have. All i have ever had to produce was a current clean licence.

jrocke.
[/quote]

gromit
05-04-2005, 03:20
If you do have a photo one, then you only have to show this one when getting the hire car unless you have any endorsements and then you need the paper one!

AudCle
05-04-2005, 03:34
Is there are problem with having a couple of points or your licence?

Aud

blott
05-04-2005, 03:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AudCle
Is there are problem with having a couple of points or your licence?

Aud[/quote]No problem with having points - if you're entitled to drive in the UK, then you're OK to drive in the USA.

AudCle
05-04-2005, 03:45
Thanks Blott.

Can't use that as the excuse for not doing the driving then!?[msnsad] [msnwink]

Aud

E. Cosgrove
05-04-2005, 11:23
They always look with horror at my husbands licence held together with sellotape, but they always accept it[msnwink]

steph_goodrum
05-04-2005, 12:06
My husband used his paper license in March without problems or comment.

LiesaAnna
05-04-2005, 12:43
i thought i read somewhere that you had to have the "newer style" so we got them and take both parts of the new one for both of us, just to be on the safe side, but no one has ever asked to see the paper bit

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 13:09
Strictly speaking you still actually need the photo card and the accompanying paper licence and they can refuse you car hire if you do not have both.

In reality they are happy with just the photo card but we must advise clients to take both parts just in case.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gromit
If you do have a photo one, then you only have to show this one when getting the hire car unless you have any endorsements and then you need the paper one!
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 13:12
Correct [msnsmile2]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i thought i read somewhere that you had to have the "newer style" so we got them and take both parts of the new one for both of us, just to be on the safe side, but no one has ever asked to see the paper bit
[/quote]

steph_goodrum
05-04-2005, 14:05
John
Is that only for some car hire companies or all, as I said my husband used his old style one in March to rent a car from Dollar and wasn't asked about the newer one.

Lyn
05-04-2005, 16:17
I think what John meant was if you are using the new licence then you should take both parts, if you are using the old type there is only one part.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 17:12
Correct [msnsmile]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
I think what John meant was if you are using the new licence then you should take both parts, if you are using the old type there is only one part.
[/quote]

steph_goodrum
05-04-2005, 17:54
Ah, with it now. Thanks

becbecs
05-04-2005, 18:17
We always take both parts of the driving licence but when picking up our hire car last time they only requested the Photo Licence Part. Better safe than sorry

ujpest doza
05-04-2005, 21:25
I've got an old style one and used in february and March with out any bother.

I didn't need any photo id either.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-04-2005, 21:45
Maybe not, but the official requirement is for photo ID so we cannot advise people to do anything other than this.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza

I didn't need any photo id either.

[/quote]

piggo64
31-05-2008, 17:04
Yep, old style license no probs.[high5]

DLB-GOUROCK
05-06-2008, 00:18
Appart from the hire company requirements, I believe that when you are actually driving you must always have your full driving license including the paper part if it is the photo card style, your passport, the rental agreement and insurance documents as the will be required by the police on the spot if you are stopped for any reason or heaven forbid you have an accident.