PDA

View Full Version : Gated Communities

Heed
03-04-2005, 02:12
Hi we are visiting orlando next summer. Could anyone please recommend a gated community in the kissimee area? Please reply soon!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2005, 02:25
These have been discussed many times in this section of the forums. Why not try doing a search (using the Search link at the top of any forum page) and you should get plenty of comments [msnsmile]

KevinT
05-04-2005, 04:46
Hi Sean,

Lake Berkley, Terra Verde and Emerald Island all have manned security gates.
As John says, a search on the forum will reveal a lot more in the area.

Magical Dreams
25-04-2005, 01:43
Ours is gated too!

A search should reveal a good selection.

Try our sites

www.orlandovillas.com
www.villasflorida.com
www.onlinefloridavillas.com

You should be able to find exactly what you are looking for here!

Links also available from above!

[msnwink]

Parrothead
28-10-2005, 01:25
Windsor Palms is a 24 hour manned, gated community. And very nice it is too [msnwink]

Shirley G
28-10-2005, 08:34
Southern Dunes is gated and has 24hr security. Fantastic gokf course.

28-10-2005, 13:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pearlvilla
Southern Dunes is gated and has 24hr security. Fantastic gokf course.
[/quote]

Shirley is 'gokf' an new Japanese game LOL!!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Fourdents
28-10-2005, 15:12
ah so, I don't fink so Mach ![8D][8D]:D:D LOL

Linda

Fourdents
28-10-2005, 15:13
Profound apologies to any Japanese readers [msneek]

becbecs
28-10-2005, 15:59
Lake Berkley is 24 hour Gated

blott
28-10-2005, 16:30
It would be interesting Heed if you could tell us the reason you are looking for a gated community in particular?

imported_n/a
28-10-2005, 17:13
Can i jump on the band wagon and say Cala bay parc at Towerlake is a brand new gated community.
allenc

Cruella DeVilla
28-10-2005, 17:16
Gated can mean just having a wall round the community in some cases.
Like Blott I am curious as to why you you would only consider gated communities?

Macka
28-10-2005, 17:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Gated can mean just having a wall round the community in some cases.
Like Blott I am curious as to why you you would only consider gated communities?
[/quote]

Yes Jacqui I agree, Particularly when one considers that many gated communities are designed to keep some residents in.[msnwink]

chrizzy100
28-10-2005, 18:21
The only gated Communities I lived by before coming to the USA...were homes for the insane......[msnsmile2]....and after going to the local country club on our biggest Cape gated Community....I think its the same over here.........

:D:D:D

abbeyvillas
28-10-2005, 18:55
The communities on the West Haven development are all gated communities. Each owner is allocated a personal access gate code for entry. The owners then pass this code on to guests, prior to arrival, together with the directions & on-site (lock box)villa entry codes. We find this system works very well for us, providing security and easy access for guests.

Macka
28-10-2005, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by abbeyvillas
The communities on the West Haven development are all gated communities. Each owner is allocated a personal access gate code for entry. The owners then pass this code on to guests, prior to arrival, together with the directions & on-site (lock box)villa entry codes. We find this system works very well for us, providing security and easy access for guests.
[/quote]
Woohoooo! We're on Westhaven in March. We did Bass Lakes this April which was gated [xx(][:O][B)]:D[:o)][xx(], I think it's a good idea personally. If you need the feeling of security then it's great, not that we ever feel threatened in the states. We had a cop opposite too (who rarely went to work) which was a bonus, they take the patrol car home with them [msnsmile2]

wrpac00
28-10-2005, 22:05
We are allocated a card for entry, when we have renters they have to register at the clubhouse and leave a deposit to get a card for their duration.

It has a guard 24/7 on the gate and if you don't tell them about a delivery they won't let them in. The community is also reguarly patrolled by a guard, it gives you a great sense of security.

benfilo
29-10-2005, 01:52
Hi Heed welcome to the forum
Even though ours is gated I realy think you are ruling out a lot of lovely communities, but if you're set on one try a search as John says, just list everything you would like of the villa and you'll find the perfect one.

have a great time

chrizzy100
29-10-2005, 03:22
If Gated Communities were really needed in FL........I for one would not dream of living there.......I have no idea why they started to build them......

Jan and Laurence Hood
25-11-2005, 02:23
Ours too is a gated resort - brand new. Windsor Hills Resort is two miles to Disney situated just 1 mile down Old Lake Wilson Road from Hwy 192.[sporty]

neild292
25-11-2005, 02:46
Try Cumbrian Lakes - its a beautiful, safe gated communitty

wrpac00
25-11-2005, 02:47
I am afraid I don't understand your logic Chrizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qunlu
25-11-2005, 20:43
Sunset Lake is Gated too. It is only 5 minutes away from Disney.

kitty
15-08-2006, 16:44
We are going back to florida 2008 and are looking for a gated community as well,my children were a bit worried last time we went when we were woken at 3 in the morning with a group of people letting off fireworks in the park behind the villa we were in, and as you couldnt lock the pool doors they got quite concerned as the group got nearer to us

chrizzy100
15-08-2006, 17:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
I am afraid I don't understand your logic Chrizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

it can make you feel safe when really unless you have a high wall people on the gate...and people driving around in carts all day and night.. you stand just as much chance of having trouble then ungated...

I can't think of any reason why most people need gated...unless its a resort and you don't want people to use your pool club house etc...

Solana
15-08-2006, 18:52
Solana is gated and has a pool, spa, clubhouse. etc. It is surrounded by very high walls and gives a feelongof security. Also the fact that there are 24hou staff around so issues can be quickly delt with,

ShirleyD
15-08-2006, 20:21
Hi Kitty
I am sure we would all be happy to recommend our own gated communities and there are plenty of them. You have plenty of time to narrow down your search, so why not think of all the things which are a 'must have' for your holiday home, then put out a general enquiry to the 3 OV sites (there are different homes on each)and see what comes back. You will get a lot of replies this far ahead, but the specific requests may help narrow this down a little [msnsmile2] Have fun

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-08-2006, 00:25
Do you mean the doors on the pool cage? In which case, I don't know of any villa with locks on them as that is a designated exit route in the event of an emergency and they have to be like this by law.

I'm sorry to hear about the fireworks. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening - guests always comment how quiet it is. I would comment that that kind of thing could potentially happen in any community, including gated ones.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitty
We are going back to florida 2008 and are looking for a gated community as well,my children were a bit worried last time we went when we were woken at 3 in the morning with a group of people letting off fireworks in the park behind the villa we were in, and as you couldnt lock the pool doors they got quite concerned as the group got nearer to us
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-08-2006, 00:43
Just a polite request to owners in gated communities not to try and play up the security issue like this - all communities are very safe, gated or nor gated and we are not happy if people try and score points off owners on non-gated communities in this way.

I understand this comment was almost certainly not meant in this way but please understand that guests of all sorts read these forums and may get a false impression from an innocently meant comment like this.

I know we always feel safer wherever we are in Florida compared to some parts of the UK.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Solana
It is surrounded by very high walls and gives a feelongof security. Also the fact that there are 24hou staff around so issues can be quickly delt with,

[/quote]

Liesel
16-08-2006, 00:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]

I know we always feel safer wherever we are in Florida compared to some parts of the UK.

[/quote]

I agree, I have always felt very comfortable in Florida. Our community is gated I think because as someone pointed out above, it offers resort facilities which are exclusive to members. It is to make sure that these facilities, which are all subsidised by the homeowners are reserved for owners and authorised guests only.

When looking for somewhere to stay, I think you should be more concerned about the location and amenities offered in the home, than whether the community is gated or not.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-08-2006, 00:55
Great advice...the gated communities do tend to be the resort style ones and I can understand why they are gated otherwise all the facilities would be used by everyone.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Liesel
When looking for somewhere to stay, I think you should be more concerned about the location and amenities offered in the home, than whether the community is gated or not.
[/quote]

kitty
16-08-2006, 01:58
Hi john we didnt even look to see if the cage door had locks on but think we read somewhere not to lock them,dont get me wrong the community was really peaceful,i think july 4th had an early start that day,but i had noticed that somebody in a pick up moved them on.I think the children were just a little frightened but as you say
it happens in any community.Come september people will be starting letting off fireworks around here.I would recommend crescent lakes to anybody

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-08-2006, 02:04
It would have been the 24 hour security guy who moved them on - they are usually to be found at the entrance to the park you mention but do patrol around Crescent Lakes all the time.

Aha - 4th July - that would explain it. It's like our 5th November with the fireworks. I know we've had some fool setting off fireworks in the middle of the night on 5th November before near our old home in the UK [msnsad].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitty
Hi john we didnt even look to see if the cage door had locks on but think we read somewhere not to lock them,dont get me wrong the community was really peaceful,i think july 4th had an early start that day,but i had noticed that somebody in a pick up moved them on.I think the children were just a little frightened but as you say
it happens in any community.Come september people will be starting letting off fireworks around here.I would recommend crescent lakes to anybody
[/quote]

kitty
16-08-2006, 17:09
I thought he was a security guard as we saw him parked at quite a few different places,i feel i worded my post wrong as to security so apologies are in order for any misunderstanding,we arent sure what we want next time,a gated community with regarding a communial pool with slides etc ,so the children have more scope to do things now they are getting older they do tend to get bored more easily.[msncool]

steph_goodrum
16-08-2006, 17:32
"Do you mean the doors on the pool cage? In which case, I don't know of any villa with locks on them as that is a designated exit route in the event of an emergency and they have to be like this by law

John

Our pool screen was built with lockable doors on the pool screen, there's a little catch underneath (bit like a deadlock which you slip over to lock it, and also we have added an extra lock to each door which requires a key from the outside to get in. Theres no problem getting out as from the inside they are opened by pressing and similarly the fitted ones (by the builder) its just like opening a yale lock deadbolt so dont restrict exit but entrance, and therefor dont violate any fire codes.

The reason we had the secondary locks was because, as with many homes when locked the screens cant be opened from the outside the pool guys wanted them left open and we werent keen on that so fitted the keylock one and he has a key to get in to clean the pool.

mfairhurst
17-08-2006, 17:50
We asked for a lock on our FLORIDA room but the poolman said he woul have to carry too many keys around and also if they were numbers he would not be able to remeber all the houses he did.But as we are a gated community there are less people who can get in ,We had a couple of things taken outside and we thought it would have been a good idea also as the others have said it is an escape route should there be a fire and the fire office would complain it is sensable realy so we complied .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
17-08-2006, 17:57
Aha - we used to have those on the pool screens but had them disabled (if I recall correctly) as the pool man could not gain access to the pool if guests locked them and thus we ran the risk of the pool missing it's regular service.

Thus it would have led to possibilities like the pool turning green because it had not been balanced, which is not in anyone's best interests (not least the guests, who would then be unable to use the pool for 24-48 hours).

I would not expect the pool man to have to carry round a set of keys for the pool enclosure as it would be unreasonable. Having said this, I've never heard of any problems with not having locks on the pool area - it's not exactly somewhere you would keep anything valuable [msnwink].

chrizzy100
17-08-2006, 19:30
The 4th of July went on here for 5 days...I'd really not make gated a thing top of your list...you will miss out on some lovely homes with a real living in the USA feel about them...gated is really only needed in FL for resort syle living...the owners are paying for the swimming pools club house and tennis courts...it would be unfair if people could just walk in off the streets...

Maybe you could asked for a fenced in garden...[msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
17-08-2006, 19:34
We had one of our loungers taken by a neighbour who was resident, which was why we fitted secondary locks as the primary ones would have stopped the pool guys access (luckily the house has now been sold) and it probably helps because our management company is quite small and they do the pools themselves so their are fewer keys or homes that have them but they understood when we said we'd like to fit locks and there has never been a problem.