PDA

View Full Version : deaths at sea world

trevlad
02-04-2005, 14:08
i watched jaws3D last night on sky, never seen it before, but it was made in 1983 and set at sea world orlando.
they had a massive underwater walkway beneath the lagoon which the shark attacks and the shark gets in there thru a big pipe which pumps salt water in from the sea!!then has a chew of a few people
other than that it was interesting to see how things have changed.

i went there in 1988 and about 96, we've been back a few times since and the place obviusly changes but you can never quite put your finger on the differences

the sky tower was there(working?) they had the ski water show on, a stadium which resembled the dolphin area and a similar pool in the open shark area.the current walkway across the top of the lagoon from near shamu stadium wasnt there either.

i am not sure when sea world appeared in florida,(blotie?) but i wonder whether they used this as an advert to promote the park or whether it put people off??

after all whilst i have never been to 'amity' island, if i was nearby i would visit for obviuos reasons(chrizzy?)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2005, 14:16
I went to Sea World as a teenager with my parents in the late 70's / early 80's - it may even have been on our first trip in 1978. I remember a big lake with a stadium and a water ski show, I think the tower was there, a jaws model by the west side of the lake, a Shamu show and lots of small tanks with flat fish in where you could put your hard in and feel their skin.

I have to admit I remember thinking it was terribly dull and have never been back again (including all the times I've been to Florida more recently).

trevlad
02-04-2005, 14:23
john , i'm suprised at you!! we just love the place. it has a little something for all now. from the thrill rides to the serene animals/mammals ,bit of humour at the dolphin show, to shamu(splashes)rocks america, the odd firework and of course the free budwieser! courtesy of todays sponsor, sir - anhauser busch[msnwink]

domster
02-04-2005, 14:33
I really like sea world. Some good rides and some good shows

DOM

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2005, 14:35
I know - we keep meaning to go but never quite get round to it. We do have some issues with the animals and captivity but I guess we go to Animal Kingdom and love it so would be hippocrites (sp?) to not go to Sea World. Maybe when we are over at the end of May...

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
john , i'm suprised at you!! we just love the place. it has a little something for all now. from the thrill rides to the serene animals/mammals ,bit of humour at the dolphin show, to shamu(splashes)rocks america, the odd firework and of course the free budwieser! courtesy of todays sponsor, sir - anhauser busch[msnwink]
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
02-04-2005, 14:41
we love seaworld, and surely if the whales (for instance) were not happy with the things they do,? surely they wouldnt do it! how could you make it perform????????????
surely it would be so unhappy and not eat etc etc?????????

trevlad
02-04-2005, 15:04
liesa, if i was a whale, was? , i couldnt 'not eat'!! but i know what you mean.
the thread was a 'lite' hearted one but it does throw up that anti captivity against never seen the animal - dont know/care about the animal conversation.
personally thru my contact with these animals, i can identify with them and wouldnt do anything deliberate to harm them - not talking about general deoderant/bleach/green house things

trevlad
02-04-2005, 15:05
nuff said - it was another florifix!![msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2005, 15:08
Absolutely - I'd love to find copies of the park maps for my trip back in 1978.

At Disney, the Magic Kingdom was the only park and when I went on the Keys To The Kingdom Tour last year there was a map of the park from that era on a wall in a corridor of the offices behind Main Street USA. Brought back many happy memories [msnsmile]

nuff said - it was another florifix!![msnwink]
[/quote]

Solana
02-04-2005, 16:09
Sea world is really cool:D:D

DiannaUK
02-04-2005, 16:19
I've only been to Seaworld in San Diego, but understand it's not a patch on the Orlando Seaworld - we're going later this year so will be able to tell for ourselves. Didn't know about the free Budweizer - I may never get my husband to leave [msnwink].

Di

LiesaAnna
02-04-2005, 16:22
well i for one cannot wait till i go to seaworld again!! hubbys favourite ride is the journey to atlantis, just hope it wont be quite so cold next time!

trevlad
03-04-2005, 04:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DiannaUK
I've only been to Seaworld in San Diego, but understand it's not a patch on the Orlando Seaworld - we're going later this year so will be able to tell for ourselves. Didn't know about the free Budweizer - I may never get my husband to leave [msnwink].

Di
[/quote]
another trevlad tip(tipple) - double helpings of bud one from the front taps and one from the rear bar, which they say do anyway, but then go back round the front and get served by the other person , then round the back, then round the front. naughty really, and it makes you have to leave your seat during the shamu show. mind those 4 killer whales that swim in unison are a sight to see[msnwink]

Thorogoods
08-04-2005, 03:27
We love Seaworld espically the Manatees, however I do agree with John and find Wild Artic very distressing. The Walrus seems to have no space at all.[drinkbeer]

Squeak
09-04-2005, 01:10
Can anyone tell me if "Winston" the Walrus is still performing at the Sea Lion show?

I first saw him in 1996, and the last time was 2002. He used to make an appearance at the end of the show and I was elated to see that he was still going strong the last time I saw him!

Thank you!
[?][?][?]
:D:D:D

Carolyn

Thorogoods
09-04-2005, 18:44
Yes Carolyn, Winston the Walrus is still performing we went to see the show in Jan 2005,He is still looking really fit and healthy this is one of our favorite show at seaworld[clap]

Ruth
10-04-2005, 04:03
When I was a vet student I wonked with Winnie the killer whale and the dolphins at Windsor Safari Park (now Legoland). Winnie was moved to Seaworld Orlando and I have seen her there. I do have reservations about them being kept in captivity and prefer to see dolphins and whales in the wild but believe places like Seaworld do have a role to play.

trevlad
10-04-2005, 14:27
ahh. i never knew that. are there still any animals there now or is it all brick built ones?

Ruth
10-04-2005, 16:49
There are no animals at Legoland now, just the bricks. It was a great place to do work experience at. As well as working with the dolphins and Winnie I worked all round the park. The best bits (apart from the dolphins and Winnie of course) were feeding the lions and tigers from a cage, they even sat on the roof, and sitting on the floor in the middle of the wolf enclosure, surrounded by the animals who circled wound warily:)

Squeak
11-04-2005, 01:17
Many thanks Gary and Sam for your help, it's great news to hear that Winston the Walrus is still appearing at the Sea Lion show![clap][clap]

It is one of my favourite shows too!

To anyone who's never seen the show I would rate as unmissable! We laughed all the way through, the animals were exceptional! The fun starts even before the show gets underway.[msnsmile] So it's best to get there early.:D[msnsmile][8D]

Regards,

Carolyn

AngelaB
20-05-2005, 11:49
We last visited Orlando in 1995 and we have booked to go again in February 2006, When we went my fave park was definately Sea World. I also do have reservations about the animals being kept in captivity, BUT not everyone has the chance to see these animals in the wild and for the joy they gave me to see them was second to none and i am sure a lot of people have the same views.[msnwink]

Florida3883
20-05-2005, 12:20
I have to say Sea World is more of my fav places to go when in FL. It's just amazing what they can do. I never grow up when in FL.

heathercobbett
20-05-2005, 12:26
We went about 10 years ago and hit the hottest weather for 100 years.The animals refused to perform and just flung themselves into the water when they were sent out.Almost funnier than the real show!

Robert5988
20-05-2005, 12:43
I have been just once and would never go again.
In particular I think the Artic section with the polar bears etc is a disgrace. Performing animals, whales and manatees couped up, are a throwback to Victorian times.

Nick Sayer
20-05-2005, 13:30
As David Bellamy once said

"Good Zoos are good News, Bad Zoos are Bad News"

trevlad
20-05-2005, 14:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
In particular I think the Artic section with the polar bears etc is a disgrace. Performing animals, whales and manatees couped up, are a throwback to Victorian times.
[/quote]

as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye![msnwink]

AngelaB
20-05-2005, 16:26
[/quote]

as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye![msnwink]
[/quote]

Here here i agree Trev[msnwink]

Robert5988
20-05-2005, 17:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye!
[/quote]

Trevlad,
If you simply want to see what they look like close up, there are lifelike models of them are in many museums.

There are amazing videos/films available of virtually every wild creature in their natural habitat; not cooped up in a concrete pen for us to gawk at.

It doesn’t take an animal psychiatrist to see how distressed those Polar Bears are in that terrible environment at Sea World.

That said, I am making no criticism of those who wish to spend their time and money attending that attraction. I have merely expressed a personal opinion that for me it is not any form of ‘attraction’ – indeed quite the opposite. But then I never enjoyed seeing bears riding on a biycle either.

Nick Sayer
20-05-2005, 20:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye!
[/quote]

Trevlad,
If you simply want to see what they look like close up, there are lifelike models of them are in many museums.

There are amazing videos/films available of virtually every wild creature in their natural habitat; not cooped up in a concrete pen for us to gawk at.

It doesn’t take an animal psychiatrist to see how distressed those Polar Bears are in that terrible environment at Sea World.

That said, I am making no criticism of those who wish to spend their time and money attending that attraction. I have merely expressed a personal opinion that for me it is not any form of ‘attraction’ – indeed quite the opposite. But then I never enjoyed seeing bears riding on a biycle either.

[/quote]

I don't want to open an argument or can of worms here but i see from Rob5988's profile that his hobbies include "Bridge Sea Fishing".

Is this not considered a little hypocritical SP? of someone who is so against Zoo's.

Robert5988
20-05-2005, 21:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I don't want to open an argument or can of worms here but i see from Rob5988's profile that his hobbies include "Bridge Sea Fishing".

Is this not considered a little hypocritical SP? of someone who is so against Zoo's.
[/quote]

I play Bridge and I fish in the Sea.

On what grounds you assume that I am so against zoos?

I would totally agree with the quote you posted earlier:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: As David Bellamy once said

"Good Zoos are good News, Bad Zoos are Bad News"[/quote]

I consider Sea World a particularly poor 'zoo' which is my reason for disliking it; and I personally do not find animals performing tricks entertaining or amusing.

Unless you are trying to imply that I am some vegetarian, anti hunting, animal rights activists tree hugger; I am afraid the logic of your last quote escapes me!

Katys Grandad
21-05-2005, 01:53
I can never understand those who feel that animals have to be performing tricks to be of interest.

Maybe it would broaden the knowledge and, hopefully, the shallow minds of people who dismiss non-performing creatures to make an effort to see them in their natural habitat. I suspect some are beyond saving though. It takes all sorts I suppose.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-05-2005, 12:51
Hey, what's wrong with being a vegetarian :D:D:D

Unless you are trying to imply that I am some vegetarian

Robert5988
21-05-2005, 13:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Hey, what's wrong with being a vegetarian
[/quote]

The President of the Royal College of Physicians once wrote:

Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self righteousness!

LiesaAnna
21-05-2005, 13:38
john my 9 year old tried it for 2 weeks and 6 days! she has been very proud of it!but gave in when she fancied a cheeseburger, i bought veggie burgers but she didnt like them! sadly she gave it up, but i am with her if she wants to be an individual and try different things! (we love meat[msnwink])

nicholson
21-05-2005, 13:41
We have visited Sea World on a few occaisions. The one that springs to mind is when Grandma came with us and my kids suggested she sit near the front in order to get a good view of Shamu. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy when she had about 1000 gallons of water dumped on her head! She was wearing green canvas shoes and the dye started to run everywhere. We shouldn't laugh but we still find it funny to this day. Oh, she has forgiven the kids but I'm not sure about us. The story gets retold every time we talk about Florida or we're out there with them.

LiesaAnna
21-05-2005, 13:49
yeh i can see the funny side!!! and the whales know!! they just know!![msnwink][msnwink]

AngelaB
21-05-2005, 22:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nick Sayer

[/quote]

Trevlad,

[/quote]

I don't want to open an argument or can of worms here but i see from Rob5988's profile that his hobbies include "Bridge Sea Fishing".

[/quote]

Always wondered what Bridge Sea Fishing was[msnembarrased]...now i understand, silly me[msnembarrased]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-05-2005, 23:07
LOL - I think he was the one with a sense of self righteousness [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Hey, what's wrong with being a vegetarian
[/quote]

The President of the Royal College of Physicians once wrote:

Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self righteousness!
[/quote]

trevlad
22-05-2005, 14:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by nicholson
We have visited Sea World on a few occaisions. The one that springs to mind is when Grandma came with us and my kids suggested she sit near the front in order to get a good view of Shamu. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy when she had about 1000 gallons of water dumped on her head! She was wearing green canvas shoes and the dye started to run everywhere. We shouldn't laugh but we still find it funny to this day. Oh, she has forgiven the kids but I'm not sure about us. The story gets retold every time we talk about Florida or we're out there with them.
[/quote]

thats a fantastic story - i shall save it for the mother in law[msnwink]

Jules
22-05-2005, 15:16
[/quote]

We have been regular visitors to Sea World over the years and really enjoy the park. We took a behind the scenes tour a few years ago which gave us an insight into how the animals are trained and cared for. My daughter is vegetarian and has been vegan, although thankfully she gave that up (a complete nightmare in Florida, and still enjoys the park.

All the performing animals are given daily medical checks and if they are unwell or any of their checks are not 100% OK they do not perform. They cannot be forced to perform and on several occasions we have seen them refuse to do as instructed, the trainers then simply point out that if they decide they don't want to do as they are told there is no way to change their minds and you will just have to watch them "doing their own thing".

Just as a matter of interest all the Manatees in the Sea World parks are rescue animals, they are treated for any injuries (boat propeller cuts, fishing line cuts etc), kept until they are fully recovered and then released back into the wild. Manatees will not breed in captivity and so the main aim of the park is to return them to the area where they were rescued as soon as possible. All this is fully explained if you actually took the time to listen to the presentations. Sea World is as much about conservation and education as it is about entertainment.

Robert5988
22-05-2005, 15:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:All this is fully explained if you actually took the time to listen to the presentations. Sea World is as much about conservation and education as it is about entertainment.[/quote]

Of course I have listened to their presentations - why do you assume I have not?

Naturally they will try to present themselves in that sort of light -However in my opinion(and many others) it is nothing but propaganda designed to deflect the justified criticism.

I suppose they are rescued Polar Bears etc etc.

Sea World is a commercial organisation that provides entertainment to make money.

If it entertains you, then go and be entertained. If you feel their purpose is conservation and education then go and be educated. If it makes you feel better to believe what they say - believe them.

I have expressed my opinion of Sea World - just that.

Robert5988
22-05-2005, 19:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:When we went the polar bears were there because they had been rescued as were the manatees.[/quote]

I wonder what they rescued them from? Perhaps they were bored in the Artic circle. Probably the Beluga whales were as well?

However it really is most thoughtful of Sea World Angela. Rescuing the bears and transporting them all the way from the frozen north to sunny Florida, and then to build a cosy, specially refrigerated, pen for them to play in.

No doubt when they are fully recovered(from what?) they will transport them back North again and release them into the wild. Then their lovely holiday home in Florida will be empty.

Although perhaps the released bears will tell their friends who will also get themselves a nice holiday in Florida; with no extra to pay for a heated pool!!

florida4sun
22-05-2005, 20:16
Projects

Species Research - Terrestrial:

SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Discovery Cove have long contributed significant financial and operational resources to terrestrial species research, as shown by the list of supported projects described below. With the creation and funding of the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit charitable organization, this commitment will not only continue, but will be strengthened and increased through contributions by guests at the Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks, corporate partners and other supporters of wildlife conservation.

African rhinos

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has supported World Wildlife Fund's work in South Africa, Kenya, Namibia and Zimbabwe to conserve African rhino species. Projects have included improving security and anti-poaching in Namibia's Etosha National Park and monitoring and managing black rhino populations in Kenya. As a result of this ongoing support, black rhino populations have since thrived under stronger protection. At Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, eight rhinos have been born since the American Zoo and Aquarium Association launched its Species Survival Plan program, a collaborative effort among zoos to maintain a healthy and self-sustaining population that is both genetically diverse and demographically stable.

Tigers

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has supported World Wildlife Fund's tiger conservation and research program, including combating tiger poaching and illegal trade, and training park rangers from Nepal to Russia in enforcement strategies.

Tropical birds and rainforests

Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove have supported Conservation International's work in Brazil's Cerrado and Pantanal regions - both under increasing threat from development and agricultural demands. Home to South America’s most rare and endangered species, these regions are prime habitats for more than 800 species of birds. The parks also supported CI's tropical bird rehabilitation and release efforts in Brazil, with a special focus on at-risk bird species such as blue-fronted Amazon parrots and hyacinth macaws. These species have been severely depleted due to the pet trade. Research funded by the parks gathered data on whether the released parrots disperse and assimilate back into wild populations. It is hoped that the birds will eventually add to the gene pool by reproducing.

African forest elephants

By helping support field researchers and satellite telemetry efforts, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has worked with Conservation International to safeguard the future of African forest elephants in Ghana. Busch Gardens also supported the Dzanga Forest Elephant Study conducted in Dzanga-Sangha National Park, Bangui, Central African Republic, Africa. This study focused on elephant behavior, social structure, population biology, habitat use and conservation in and around the Ndoki-Bai clearing.

Cheetahs

Busch Gardens has supported a census study through the Cheetah Conservation Foundation (CCF). CCF conducts multi-site censuses of cheetahs in Namibia to determine population levels in relation to population management, hunting and export practices. As many as 1,000 cheetahs will be marked during the project to monitor distribution and movement patterns.

Gorillas

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has contributed to a multi-partner, long-term study of gorilla biology at Mbeli Bai, Congo, West Africa. Researchers studied gorilla behavior, population biology, habitat utilization and conservation biology.

Orangutans

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has worked with HUTAN in Malaysia to protect tracts of forest critical to wild orangutans. BGT also supported an orangutan rescue and rehabilitation center in Indonesia, operated by Orangutan Foundation International.

Lions and Hyenas

Busch Gardens has supported the Laikipia Carnivore Conservation Research project conducted at Laikipia District, Kenya, Africa by Dr. Lawrence Frank, University of California at Berkeley. The project is a conservation biology study of lions and spotted hyenas involving capture and

Jules
23-05-2005, 01:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:All this is fully explained if you actually took the time to listen to the presentations. Sea World is as much about conservation and education as it is about entertainment.[/quote]

Of course I have listened to their presentations - why do you assume I have not?

I suppose they are rescued Polar Bears etc etc.

Sea World is a commercial organisation that provides entertainment to make money.

If it entertains you, then go and be entertained. If you feel their purpose is conservation and education then go and be educated. If it makes you feel better to believe what they say - believe them.

I have expressed my opinion of Sea World - just that.
[/quote]

Point 1. Because you say that the Manatees are cooped up and that you think that is very Victorian. The Manatees are in a large tank recovering from injuries, yes they are on display but the Sea world employees who are there to answer any questions about the animals always make it very clear that they are only there until they have recovered enough to be returned to the wild in the same area they were found. I have seen several manatee rescues on the local news while I have been in Florida and each time it has been Sea World vets doing the rescuing. Some of the animals have been in a very sorry state when they were found with horrific propeller injuries. I also saw one Manatee being released back into the water after making a good recovery from loosing a flipper because it got tangled in fishing line.

Point 2. I have no idea and that is why I didn't comment on the Polar bears

Point 3. It is a commercial organisation, it does provide entertainment, it does make money it also uses a lot of that money for education and conservation programmes which is why I said "it is as much about education and conservation as it is about entertainment" not that it wasn't about entertainment.

Point 4. I will go if I wish for whatever reasons I choose. Why should I not believe them? Why does it need to make me feel better?

We are all entitled to our opinions but why should I take your point of view just because you have decided to be so aggressive? I agree that some zoos are appalling I just don't happen to agree that Sea World falls into that category.

Robert5988
23-05-2005, 02:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We are all entitled to our opinions but why should I take your point of view just because you have decided to be so aggressive?[/quote]
Julie,
Firstly I suggest the aggression started with this quote:
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:All this is fully explained if you actually took the time to listen to the presentations.[/quote]

Secondly I have absolutely no wish for you to take my point of view and have never indicated that you should.

You like Sea World; I don't. I think perhaps it is best left there.

AngelaB
23-05-2005, 03:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:When we went the polar bears were there because they had been rescued as were the manatees.[/quote]

I wonder what they rescued them from? Perhaps they were bored in the Artic circle. Probably the Beluga whales were as well?

However it really is most thoughtful of Sea World Angela. Rescuing the bears and transporting them all the way from the frozen north to sunny Florida, and then to build a cosy, specially refrigerated, pen for them to play in.

No doubt when they are fully recovered(from what?) they will transport them back North again and release them into the wild. Then their lovely holiday home in Florida will be empty.

Although perhaps the released bears will tell their friends who will also get themselves a nice holiday in Florida; with no extra to pay for a heated pool!!

[/quote]

Robert you are of course entitled to your opinion. I also am entilted to mine.

All i can say is that it is a good job not everyone thinks along the same lines as you.

I can see this thread turning into a heated argument, and i for one do not use this forum to argue.

Therefore like you have said to Julie i personally think we should agree to disagree.

LiesaAnna
23-05-2005, 11:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Projects

Species Research - Terrestrial:

SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Discovery Cove have long contributed significant financial and operational resources to terrestrial species research, as shown by the list of supported projects described below. With the creation and funding of the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit charitable organization, this commitment will not only continue, but will be strengthened and increased through contributions by guests at the Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks, corporate partners and other supporters of wildlife conservation.

African rhinos

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has supported World Wildlife Fund's work in South Africa, Kenya, Namibia and Zimbabwe to conserve African rhino species. Projects have included improving security and anti-poaching in Namibia's Etosha National Park and monitoring and managing black rhino populations in Kenya. As a result of this ongoing support, black rhino populations have since thrived under stronger protection. At Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, eight rhinos have been born since the American Zoo and Aquarium Association launched its Species Survival Plan program, a collaborative effort among zoos to maintain a healthy and self-sustaining population that is both genetically diverse and demographically stable.

Tigers

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has supported World Wildlife Fund's tiger conservation and research program, including combating tiger poaching and illegal trade, and training park rangers from Nepal to Russia in enforcement strategies.

Tropical birds and rainforests

Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove have supported Conservation International's work in Brazil's Cerrado and Pantanal regions - both under increasing threat from development and agricultural demands. Home to South America&'s most rare and endangered species, these regions are prime habitats for more than 800 species of birds. The parks also supported CI's tropical bird rehabilitation and release efforts in Brazil, with a special focus on at-risk bird species such as blue-fronted Amazon parrots and hyacinth macaws. These species have been severely depleted due to the pet trade. Research funded by the parks gathered data on whether the released parrots disperse and assimilate back into wild populations. It is hoped that the birds will eventually add to the gene pool by reproducing.

African forest elephants

By helping support field researchers and satellite telemetry efforts, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has worked with Conservation International to safeguard the future of African forest elephants in Ghana. Busch Gardens also supported the Dzanga Forest Elephant Study conducted in Dzanga-Sangha National Park, Bangui, Central African Republic, Africa. This study focused on elephant behavior, social structure, population biology, habitat use and conservation in and around the Ndoki-Bai clearing.

Cheetahs

Busch Gardens has supported a census study through the Cheetah Conservation Foundation (CCF). CCF conducts multi-site censuses of cheetahs in Namibia to determine population levels in relation to population management, hunting and export practices. As many as 1,000 cheetahs will be marked during the project to monitor distribution and movement patterns.

Gorillas

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has contributed to a multi-partner, long-term study of gorilla biology at Mbeli Bai, Congo, West Africa. Researchers studied gorilla behavior, population biology, habitat utilization and conservation biology.

Orangutans

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has worked with HUTAN in Malaysia to protect tracts of forest critical to wild orangutans. BGT also supported an orangutan rescue and rehabilitation center in Indonesia, operated by Orangutan Foundation International.

Lions and Hyenas

Busch Gardens has supported the Laikipia Carnivore Conservation Research project conducted at Laikipia District, Kenya, Africa by Dr. Lawrence Frank,

AngelaB
26-06-2005, 02:21
Yeah thanks Martin, that is really interesting.[msnsmile2]

trevlad
26-06-2005, 14:15
just got back and saw a couple of poster out there with guys rescuing distressed marine life. i suppose you could say its propaganda but good to see they were sponsored by sea world!!

Robert5988
27-06-2005, 01:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I suppose you could say its propaganda [/quote]

Propaganda? How could you possibly think such a thing?

After all the trouble Sea World have taken teaching Shamu the essential skills he will need to entertain fellow diners when he is released back into the wild with his fully rehabilitated polar bear friends and rescued whales.

Come to think of it, perhaps they should teach polar bears to ride bicycles like brown bears do in other circuses, then they could pedal back from Florida to the Frozen north.

AngelaB
27-06-2005, 02:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I suppose you could say its propaganda [/quote]

Propaganda? How could you possibly think such a thing?

After all the trouble Sea World have taken teaching Shamu the essential skills he will need to entertain fellow diners when he is released back into the wild with his fully rehabilitated polar bear friends and rescued whales.

Come to think of it, perhaps they should teach polar bears to ride bicycles like brown bears do in other circuses, then they could pedal back from Florida to the Frozen north.

[/quote]

Oh Robert you are so funny....!![laugh]

sundowner
27-06-2005, 14:42
Please - everyone CHILL OUT - this has been the most depressing thread I have read on the Forum. I love Sea World, I think they do a good job, others don't end of.

AngelaB
27-06-2005, 16:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sundowner
Please - everyone CHILL OUT - this has been the most depressing thread I have read on the Forum. I love Sea World, I think they do a good job, others don't end of.
[/quote]

I agree.[msnwink]

Paula D-S
08-08-2005, 03:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I know - we keep meaning to go but never quite get round to it. We do have some issues with the animals and captivity but I guess we go to Animal Kingdom and love it so would be hippocrites (sp?) to not go to Sea World. Maybe when we are over at the end of May...

[/quote]

Well John,
Did you go?

Paula

IanandSarah
11-10-2005, 00:16
We go to Sea World every trip and still enjoy it. Great atmosphere, and whilst there are undoubted issues about captivity, they do seem to put animal welfare as high as anywhere else we have been. I was told once that the beluga and walrus and polar bears were rotated to bigger areas elsewhere but don't know if that is true,
Ian and Sarah

chrizzy100
11-10-2005, 02:55

[/quote]

I think they came all the way from Denver Zoo where they were born.....not been there myself.......I'm told its a bit nippy.....but far from the Frozen North.......

chrizzy100
11-10-2005, 04:56
Ok I was wrong.......Denver is the frozen north.....it had 20 inches of snow today............:D