PDA

View Full Version : Orlando on my own

DMC
01-04-2005, 22:08
Hi Guy's

Due to a heavy workload I have been off line for sometime but now I have a few minutes spare I thought I would look you all up again.

Good to see the site is as good as ever and the usual names are appearing on a regular basis.

Anyway due to a change in circumstances for the first time in 10 years of going to Florida, I find myself spending 2 weeks in Orlando on my own.

Whilst I have a few ideas of things to do, as I have clearly been around the block and the parks a bit, I think the biggest fear is what to do at night - a table for one doesn't have much of an appeal :(

Does anyone have any ideas on places to go ( nothing to OTT I am in good shape but have just turned 40 :D )or if anyone else finds themslves in the same situation and fancies meeting up then let me know.

I will be out in Orlando from the 30th of April to the 14th of May and staying on International Drive.

Thanks

DMC

Cruella DeVilla
01-04-2005, 22:20
I am sure there will be other members out there at the same time as you who would love to meet another forum member. Or just pretend you are attending a conference when booking your table for one, you do see it especially down the Conf Centre end of I Drive.

Get yourself out on any day trips you find as you meet people that way too, although, off hand I can't think of any!

Other option....take an ad out in the local paper looking for a travel companion!!!!!! I saw something on GMTV a few years back about a guy and his two kids who wanted a female to go on holiday with them, he got 1000s of offers. Not sure if that would suit your circumstances but it is a lighthearted look at your scenario:D

I holidayed once in Malaysia alone, when I was working out that way and only one of us could take holidays at a given time. More daunting for a woman to do this alone so you should be fine. I was[8D]

Matt
02-04-2005, 00:27
DMC,

I've been out there many times on my own, in fact setting off again tomorrow. I guess its a little different as I have my villa to stay in so never worry too much about finding somewhere to eat.

However, before the villa I've also stayed in hotels whilst in Orlando, and usually would have room service, bar food or take out in my room as I'm not confortable about sitting in a restaurant alone (unless it breakfast as then I just sit and read the paper).

Apart from that I do the parks, easier and quicker to get around using the single rider lines and just doing what you yourself wants to do. Plus you get speaking to loads of people standing in line with you who are either in the same situation and travelling alone, or have someone with them that doesn't do the rides. On a couple of occasions I've just hooked up with them for the day if only to keep the single rider company!!

In the evenings I would just do the local hotel bars. However, I have many friends in the area now (through going to the bars and getting to know the bar staff)so have no problems going over alone and meeting up with them in the evenings when they get off shift.

I'm sure you'll have a great time as long as you can stand your own company!!

Matt

PS. The worst time for me when travelling alone, and when staying in a hotel, is during the day if just sitting around the pool.

julieanne
02-04-2005, 02:27
This something I have often thought about, as it is something I can see myself doing in a few years time. If I want to carry on spending time in Florida (and I'm sure I will) I think in the future I will have to go alone.

I know I would be quite happy thru the day - as you all know I love sunbathing so would happily spend my days in the sun. Shopping is another pass time I can do quite happily on my own. I agree with DMC that the worst part would be meal times. I love eating out in Florida so guess I would have to bite the bullet and ask for a table for one....

Hopefully though I will have friends aand family who can travel with me for a couple more years so it will be a while before I have to go it alone.

DMC
05-04-2005, 15:01
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll let you know how I get on.:)

DMC

Lynne S
05-04-2005, 15:06
I wish I could go on my own....It would be bliss[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]
I love my hubby and 3 children really, but just to pack for myself and just do what I want to do would be great.

Have a really good time...You can always borrow one of my kids if you really want some company[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

brizzle
05-04-2005, 15:40
I also agree to the fact that the eating on my own makes me feel uncomfortable.

As for options, I know a lot of the diners have seats for people at the counter, you might feel more comfortable sitting there rather than at a table.
There are some nice diners although I suppose you might want more variety than just diner food. There is one I keep meaning to visit at The Peabody which gets good reviews and the prices aren't Peabody prices either.

Also the places like TGIs, Bennigans etc, I think you can eat at the bar which wouldn't be a bad move.

And finally from me you can also get take out at most places, not just fast food joints, so the option of taking it back to the room isn't too bad.

Brizzle.

bryj
11-04-2005, 03:55
Hi DMC
If you havent done it much in the past, the idea of eating out alone can be a little off-putting, I know. I do it all the time all round the world. The first time is the worst! But it is much better than sitting alone in a hotel room, and can lead to some interesting and fun times, because you may meet and chat with people who you never would have in company, and as this forum proves beyond doubt, there are a lot of friendly, happy, and downright nice people in Florida.
If you dont fancy that, try and stay somewhere with HBO- the joy of watching a film on US tv without the constant inane interruptions! As you may know, they show up-to-date films straight through, no bull.
Good luck.
Bry

Magical Dreams
11-04-2005, 08:58
The chance to visit such a beautiful place alone would be a dream for me!

No restrictions, no kids holding you back!

I admit, eating alone in a restaraunt could be a little off putting, but so what, do it anyway!

Make the most of your time alone!
It may be the best thing ever, rediscover your youth and have fun,

:D

CERICROWLEY
11-04-2005, 11:33
Hi DMC

I found myself on my own the year before last, when hubby had to return after a couple of days when we closed on our villa, I ended up doing most of the shopping bits. At that time we staye din a hotel so I was quite lucky that I was in the hotel bar most of the time. Andgot to know the barman really well. had some great chats and then a lot of other people starting chatting as well.

The days were filled just shopping all the time. so parks were out of the question.

I would try a couple of water parks as ther nobondy really knows if you are on your own. and take a couple of day trips maybe up to Mount Dora is lovely. Or even just explore around.
Try a couple of hotels closeby if they have a gym you could find that you get to know someone there and have a couple of drinks after and that in the evening.

Celebration I have heard have an excellent gym facility

suegooding
11-04-2005, 22:09
Hi DMC

Do you like Classic cars, old cars and bikes? On Thursday nights at Old Town Kissimmee is Motor Cycle night, Friday night is Cars from 1973-87 and Saturday nights is Classic Cars which is the one we went to and had a good time. The web site if you want to have a look is http://www.old-town.com Enjoy your holiday!!

All the best

julieanne
13-04-2005, 20:52
Just wondered - what would villa owners thoughts be on one person staying in their villa? Guess it wouldn't matter to them as the charge is per villa and not per head?
I'd be interested to hear your opinions...

daxon
13-04-2005, 22:52
We have had one person staying in our villas - no problem at all. Its just that I suppose it becomes a rather less cost effective option as far as the guest is concerned?

CERICROWLEY
13-04-2005, 23:14
We have also had one person stay in our villa. Think he was a golfer. so being on Highlands heped. Also had just a couple staying there as well.

They want to pay, they get to stay.:D

heathercobbett
13-04-2005, 23:47
We have had lots of twos,but never 1 person.In faci it is rare for us to be at capacity.Children are used to having their own room at home and don't relish sharing when they are away

However,the house next door to us had a single snowbird for 3/4 months in 03