PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 22 month old - on my knee !

smblair
24-02-2003, 16:39
Hi

We're flying with Airtours to Orlando Sanford on 1 May this year and our daughter, who will be 22 months old, does not have her own seat (I don't think we could have got her one even if we wanted to). Anyway, I'm absolutely dreading the flight but am quite prepared for what's in store.

Does anyone know whether the car seat and buggy will count towards our 20kg per person baggage allowance ? (I think it probably will). Also, are the sky cots or baby bassinettes only for babies or will they / can they accommodate infants ?

Finally, has anyone travelled such a long way with a toddler on their lap and what was your experiences (or is that a silly question !!)

Thanks

steph_goodrum
24-02-2003, 16:48
Hi
I've not travelled with one that young but several on here have. I know from my observations on flights though, that I would be very surprised if the skycots will accommodate a toddler of nearly 2. They are basically a bit smaller than a normal carrycot and are placed on a pull down table in front of you and I don't think they would take the weight of a toddler.
I don't think the buggy will count towards your luggage allowance as that is normally your checked luggage and the usual procadure is to keep the buggy with you till boarding. I think the car seat will though.

Ruth
24-02-2003, 17:09
I have travelled with young children a lot on Orlando flights & in my experience the buggy and car seat won't count towards your allowance. Your 22 month old will be too big for a sky cot but British Airways for one now have seats that strap to the sky cot shelf. My youngest used one of these at 18 months of age so if Airtours have these you may be lucky and get one of these if you have a bulkhead seat. Fingers crossed:D

athurstance
24-02-2003, 17:48
Even if your daughter is too big for the sky cot it is still worth asking for the bulkhead seats if you can get them. There is a bit more leg room there and nobody is going to walk on it so my two boys used to use the blankets and pillows and lie on the floor. Sounds awfully uncomfortable but they said it was more comfortable to be able to stretch out - one would lie across 2 seats one on the floor space.
I've flown with a toddler on my lap - it's not ideal but you'll survive. Flying isn't something I enjoy much at all so I look on it purely as a means to an end - keep telling yourself its worth it because you're going to Disney.
Also make sure you get up and walk around - usually there is the odd space by the doors where you can move around a little bit and stretch your legs.

Angela

Ann
24-02-2003, 18:10
HI Shona
been there done that :D
you wont get a sky cot as others have said
your buggy you can keep with you in the airport right up till you get to boarding
yes it is a long flight with a baby on your knee but normally the baby fairs better than you will ;) i had another 4 year old with us and for some of the time the 2 kids shared the one seat and were fine
think positive she might sleep some of the way ;)
have a great time when you get there :D

markemma
27-02-2003, 23:25
Dont worry about the allowance for the buggy etc, we always take our own car seat too but have no problem.
Airtours don't have car seats and your toddler will be too big for the bassinet but its never as bad as you think, take plenty of food with you and maybe phenergan (mild sedative)incase they get abit naughty.
dont forget airtours charge for drinks which are very expensive, take plenty of soft drinks with you too.

smblair
28-02-2003, 17:13
Thanks everyone - not so worried about buggies/car seats now.

I'm really looking forward to being in Florida again, so I think I'll just focus on that. Anyway , I'm sure she'll be fine on the flight and if not, well, there's not a lot of options is there !!

Thanks again

orlandobabe
01-05-2005, 07:12
Just to add to this topic-we arrived with our 22 month old grandson this week.

It's not easy when they weigh 30lbs and they have little understanding and even less verbal skills.

Fortunately we always do the trip in one hop-to at least lessen the travelling day.

Taking a younger baby is so much easier.

Re-the jet lag-I think they cope better than us.

Aiminghigh
01-05-2005, 12:31
Done this quite a few times in the past!
Some flights were good, some not so good-all I would say that most were not as bad as expected and all fade into insignificance when you arrive.

steph_goodrum
01-05-2005, 13:03
My friend went to Australia last year twice taking her grandaughter who was at the time 15 and 18 months and survived both journeys fine. She said its not the most comfortable way to sit for 24 hours each way but they couldnt get another seat for the little one and she wouldnt have use it anyway as she prefers nannys lap.

LiesaAnna
01-05-2005, 14:07
my grandson will be 22months old when we go in November this year, so all tips would be greatfully appreciated,but he will be with mummy and daddy so we can all take turns in having him on our laps, but what do we do when hes tired? hes not the best to fall asleep in our arms now, but he would a buggy, the thought of him screaming when hes tired!! am wondering why we asked them along![msnscared][msneek][msneek][msneek]
no we love them all and am sure we all will have a great time, its just the flight is rather a daunting subject at the moment!!
any tips????????????????????????????? please!!!!

millie
02-05-2005, 20:11
We took my daughter when she was 21 months and to be honest next time I would buy her a seat!!!!!!

The basinettes etc for only for those under 1 year but if I was you I would push for a bulkhead seat. We flew Virgin and they put me down as a priority and then said to me just to get to the airport early which we did. They allocated me a bulkhead seat which was a god send as she could sit on the floor for a bit which eased my legs and gave her some space.

I think she found it Ok apart from finding it hard to get comfy enough to sleep on my knee. However I was stuck with a heavy weight on my knee for 9 hours!!! When I got into the film when she was busy she wanted to watch Fimbles etc etc (you can imagine!).

I just took lots of things for her to do. I wrapped each one up in some wrapping paper and every time she got bored would pull out a "present". It worled out mush better than having a bag where she could delve in and get bored much quicker. I took things like colouring in things, sticker books, threading cards, beads and string, etc etc.

We got through it Ok and if your child is Ok with switching from person to person that would surely help. I just kept remembering that no matter how bad it was the holiday was going to more than make up for a few hours being uncomfortable.

Oh, one more tip! Calpol. I gave it to my daughter before the plane took off in case of earache. (did have the other nice effect of her dropping off for an hour too!![msnwink])

CarolAnn
03-05-2005, 00:08
Our daughter was 18mths on her first trip to Orlando, I realised it at the time, but even more so since, what a superstar she was, not a murmer, not a whinge, just sat on our laps quietly. I do think we had the calpol at hand, but honestly do not remember using it! She must have been good, because she has been lucky enough to go back every year since , twice this year and she will be 13 in September!! How time flies when you are having fun [8D]:D

Ana
03-05-2005, 01:02
It's worth asking if you can get an extra meal for your toddler or taking something with you. I don't know whether it is still the case but it used to be very strictly one meal per seat - even though you have to prebook an infant place. It's worth mentioning that I've only seen this happen on charter flights. Virgin are much more accomodating in this respect.

philgrove
04-05-2005, 01:31
Calpol is a good idea and i have done this myself. Also puriton will relax and give your child a little nap time too. This also helps if you happen to get a little itchy with excitement or those awful blankets you get given,or worse a mossie gets in !!!
we take little snacks with us plenty of drinks. If you take an ANYWAY UP cup on with you just watch the pressure as the lid will just pop off as you take off or land.
Most important thing to remember is to stay calm and dont get stressed out ( i have to keep reminding myself and Phil this).
Going on Saturday with a 2 year old and a 6 year old for the 3rd time.

nicklangdon
04-05-2005, 14:09
Last time we went we thought how fantastic all the children were considering how long the flight was from tiny tots to teenagers!Try not to work yourself up! [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
04-05-2005, 14:25
i hadnt really thought about it before but as its now becomming a reality our daughter Kerrie her partner Andy and their baby Bradley he will be 22 months old, any tips will be very welcome, i know my daughter takes calpol wherever she goes as she works and i mind him, its always in his "bag"
have just found about 7 seaters dodge caravans have a 5 pin seat belt which we can use for him instead i believe of a car seat (if anyone knows different please let me know)
how do you amuse them on the plane for 9 hours???? i know mummy and daddy love reading to him but there is only so much reading to a child of that age before they get bored!
all tips are welcome!!
thanks xx

nikkikk
04-05-2005, 17:15
I have four children from 16 down to 3 and have been flying to Florida regularly for near on 15 years so have had children of various ages at the time. I would definitely agree with requesting bulk head - you will get priority with an infant under 2 - ring the airline before and explain the problem, I have usually found that they are pretty good at making a note of your request and coming up with the goods. Calpol, and Phenergan are also good tips as are having a bag full of goodies wrapped as presents - even if they are toys from home! Unfortunately, the TV on this airline only shows one film to everyone so you can't rely on that. Also, ask where you are staying what facilities they have. Being a mum of four our villa comes complete with car seats (baby and toddler), highchair, bed guard, cot etc etc as well as toys from toddler up.

Most of all have a wonderful holiday I am sure you will.

millie
07-05-2005, 02:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i hadnt really thought about it before but as its now becomming a reality our daughter Kerrie her partner Andy and their baby Bradley he will be 22 months old, any tips will be very welcome, i know my daughter takes calpol wherever she goes as she works and i mind him, its always in his "bag"
have just found about 7 seaters dodge caravans have a 5 pin seat belt which we can use for him instead i believe of a car seat (if anyone knows different please let me know)
how do you amuse them on the plane for 9 hours???? i know mummy and daddy love reading to him but there is only so much reading to a child of that age before they get bored!
all tips are welcome!!
thanks xx
[/quote]

Last time we went we got a Dodge 7 seater and yes it did have a fab built in car seat with a 5 point harness. It was great as it lets them sit on the chair and the seatbelt is like an adfult one in that if there is tension it locks in place. We hired a car last time and the car seat we got was horrendous. I was really upset as I felt it did not fit properly and my child was in danger. One trip to Dollar got us nowhere but the next trip got us a Dodge van.

This year we plan to call the Dollar desk at the Airport 2 weeks in advance to make sure we get one again.

If you want this i would be sure to check first. [msnwink]

08-05-2005, 02:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
all tips are welcome!!
thanks xx
[/quote]

Liesa I would still take his car seat especially if it reclines as he will be more comfy and 22 months is quite young just for a harness (I'm paranoid) as far as the flight is concerned I must admit for last baby I bought her a seat when she was 18 months as I had had enough of babes on knees, however one trick is to get lots of new small books/toys etc that they have never seen and during the flight get them out one at a time, also have lots of baby snacks, baby walkmans are good too, if you get a bulkhead seat once airborne put a bag at the aisle ends of your row put a blanket on the floor and they have a little play area under your feet to give your knees a rest!![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
08-05-2005, 02:57
such a good idea J, will pass all these bits of info onto my daughter Kerrie, i will start getting bits and pieces to put away, i think they will have to take or buy a car seat cos they will have their own vehicle as well as days out in our dodge caravan thingy, so they will need his own seat to put him in, he has only just started walking, a bit of a lazy bones so he is gonna be in full steam ahead once on board, am dreading it, more cos im afraid he will cry and wind other people up, it doesnt bother me cos i look after him when mummy and daddy work,
thanks for your help with this!

LiesaAnna
20-09-2005, 15:10
OMG this dream is becoming a reality next week!!
8 days to go!!
so his mummy, has bought many new bits and bobs, books, small puzzles, i have made him a book, he loves grandads motorbikes, so have cut out many pictures of bikes and got photos of his family, everyone and the animals, i showed him a glimpse and he got so excited cos his great grandad was in the book and his face was so delightfull!! am filling up with many different pics of things he likes, so its his personal book and if he tears it (doesnt normally) then no worries!!
all of them have gone down with sickness and diarreah bug at the moment!! (he is 20 months old ) brought trip forward two months
all this is only possible of course if his passport comes back on time!!! passport office have had it for 6 weeks and despite many phone calls they were sorting it, now they dont like his photo so have to get them redone!! headaches!!! and some!!!! but we will soon be in florida!(well i will)[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

20-09-2005, 15:29
Liesa get some Calpol for the flight (sometimes helps them to have a nap) and have lots of wet wipes and a change of clothes in case of travel sick (mine threw up on landing twice!!)Pheregan is good for that but you need to give it the night before and again it helps them to have a nap[msnwink]

eagleydo
20-09-2005, 20:41
On every flight I have been on I have always noted how great the babies are.
Someone told me that it was to do with the motion of the lane, that this made them quite often sleep for a fair amount.

Now travelling on a coach is a different matter I can tell you, did this with mine when they were little and it was a nightmare.

LiesaAnna
20-09-2005, 21:09
this is if he gets to go to florida!!!! trouble with his passport!!!
Bradley is now the proud owner of his very own passport!!!