PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Baggage Allowance

AngelaB
30-03-2005, 16:40
Does anyone know the Virgin Baggage Allowance??

Thanks

florida4sun
30-03-2005, 16:42
2 cases per paid seat at 32 kilos each, I think.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
Does anyone know the Virgin Baggage Allowance??

Thanks
[/quote]

christhear
30-03-2005, 16:45
Its 60kg per paid ticket (economy or premium economy), no one suitcase to exceed 32kg.

steph_goodrum
30-03-2005, 17:07
Its 2 x 32kg (with the dimensions of no piece to exceed 62" when added together), per paying passenger.

LiesaAnna
30-03-2005, 17:11
Three pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 32kg (70lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in) this is upper class, (sorry)

and economy and premium economy is Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 32kg (70lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).

quoted from the virgin website,

sorry i didnt read it properly[msnwink][msnembarrased]

blott
30-03-2005, 17:34
Ho hum, that's three different versions so far...

From their website it's:

On Transatlantic, Caribbean and Nigerian routes we operate a piece system of allowance for checked in baggage.

Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 32kg (70lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).

millie
30-03-2005, 18:29
I thought it was 2 aswell...........

they are more likely not to charge you over the sooner you check in. We had loads last year including 2 big boxes (one containing a childrens picnic table/chair set and the other a childrens keyboard set!) and they only laughed and said "been shopping?"!!!

Matt
30-03-2005, 19:07
3 Pieces is for UC only.

steph_goodrum
30-03-2005, 19:57
"they are more likely not to charge you over the sooner you check in. We had loads last year including 2 big boxes (one containing a childrens picnic table/chair set and the other a childrens keyboard set!) and they only laughed and said "been shopping?"!!!"

Millie
That's not necessarily true, we had friends who because the wife had a bad back packed all their things into one large suitcase (there were 2 adults and 1 18 year old), going out they were ok but when they came back even though they only had one case when they could have had six, they were charged $110 excess baggage because it was charged at so much per kilo over the allowance.

Because they arrived fairly early and there was a large queue , of which they were at the head, they paid it but when I said didnt you think to go and buy another holdalll in the airport shop she said it hadnt occurred to them. As with immigration it's often down to the mood of the person on the desk at the time yo uare there.

ahagan
30-03-2005, 20:31
I agree with Steph - they will charge you if you go over with a piece even if its the only piece you have and you are entitled to two pieces.

Two Christmases ago, we had a Christmas tree and 2 big pieces. As there were 2 of us we thought we would be fine because we were under our allowed number of pieces (4)- Wrong! Luckily we had a spare suitcase in one of the big bags and we quickly re-distributed the weight, ending up with 4 pieces, each weighing about 30kg.

hamish
31-03-2005, 03:38
I believe the problems with excess weight and the redistribution of it has something to do with health and safety, and the handling of heavy cases. I tend to always find my case returning with a sticker on it in big red letters 'HEAVY'. I can`t help myself once I hit the shops.!!

June

gromit
31-03-2005, 16:26
The heavy labels are for the baggage handlers to warn them to take extra care. The limits on each item/bag is for the handling hence why even if you had 1 bag which was over the weight for 1 bag but under the limit if it had been split between maximum number of bags allowed in total that you get charged, as well as the relationship between the overall weight of the aircraft and cost of fuel needed to fly a heavier aircraft.

If in doubt about the weight, split luggage into the maximum number of bags you are allowed and you will have less chance of any single bag being too heavy and have to pay excess! This will save you money and keep the baggage handlers happy!!!

I hope all that makes sense.....

LiesaAnna
31-03-2005, 16:57
we to had a "heavy" sticker on one of our cases thought we were gonna get told off, but it was for the baggage handlers! when we took our luggage over to them it was a woman! she just lifted it like it was a feather! and threw it on the belt! puts me to shame i could just about lift it off the floor! they were all under 32kgs!!!!

benfilo
31-03-2005, 18:31
big difference to our flight with Thompsons, 15 kg per person[msnsad]

Madabouttigger
31-03-2005, 23:57
When we came back with Virgin I know we had 3 cases that we could only just lift, but were no where near our allowance, we had heavy stickers put on 2 of the cases too.

Mistaya
01-04-2005, 05:06
Does anybody know if Virgin have an aversion to rucksacks? My husband and I usually put all our clothes etc in a big rucksack and our oldest daughter has her own little trolley suitcase thing, I'm sure you all know what I mean. I've tried talking him into proper suitcases but as he quite rightly points out it's easier to have the luggage on his back and have both his hands free for keeping hold of children, pushing buggies etc.

Also does anybody know if our baby, she'll be 17 months when we go, will be included in the luggage allowance? Although she doesn't get a seat of her own we have had to pay for her.

steph_goodrum
01-04-2005, 13:25
Mistaya
We've seen plenty of rucksacks coming off the luggage carousel when we've used Virgin flights so I'm sure that won't be a problem, the only thing they don't like is loose straps as these can jam it more easily, if we use holdalls we have had to take shoulder straps off and put them in a pocket before now.

I would check with Virgin about your daughters allowance. I don't think they ge tthe full allowance if you hsve not paid for a seat but may get a partial one.

langley
01-04-2005, 17:57
Children who don't pay for their seats do not get the full baggage allowance, I called Virgin in February as we were going because I have a four year old & 6 year old and they got full baggage allowance as they paid for teir seats.

We were told that Buggies and Child Seats count as weight towards your total allowance so don't forget to bear this in mind.

DiannaUK
01-04-2005, 23:33
We're flying Monarch (charter) in May and by paying a £30 upgrade to Monarch Plus, we get an extra 10kg of baggage allowance each (plus other benefits). Knowing how much I shop, this is certainly value for money for me to get the extra allowance.
Dianna.

Steve and Dawn
05-04-2005, 01:52
We found that at the Downtown Disney check in they never even weighed our cases. There were two of us and we checked in 3 Large cases and a huge Christmas tree (weighing just under the 32KG limit we checked this before we bought it.) We also had Dawn's Handbag, a small "aircrew type" case, a rucksack and a Guitar in a solid case left. I checked the guitar in at MCO and never paid any excess. The rest went on as hand luggage along with the duty free's of course[msnwink] The word pack horse comes to mind.... We had a limo pick us up at the UK end, he nearly fainted when saw the luggage. A normal car would not have got it all in!!! It was quite funny really we had to wedge the Christmas Tree from the back seat over to the front passenger seat. So I think you should be alright Angela B.

ravtino
05-04-2005, 02:38
Did you buy the guitar out there???????

AngelaB
14-05-2005, 12:53
sorry to bring this up AGAIN, but can i just confirm something? The baggage allowance for Economy with Virgin is 2 pieces of luggage each weighing a maximum of 32kgs or 70lbs EACH? Is this the FREE baggage allowance. My husband, for some reason, seems to think it is not the FREE baggage allowance[msnmad].

Thanks everyone.[msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
14-05-2005, 13:17
Angela
That's right (for every paying passenger - even the children), the allowance is up to 2 pieces at up to 32KG each.
The virgin website gives you all the allowances if you want to show him in black and white.

LiesaAnna
14-05-2005, 13:25
yes we carry that each trip!!! it is true, as Steph says check out the virgin website and show him!!

15-05-2005, 01:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
sorry to bring this up AGAIN, but can i just confirm something? The baggage allowance for Economy with Virgin is 2 pieces of luggage each weighing a maximum of 32kgs or 70lbs EACH? Is this the FREE baggage allowance. My husband, for some reason, seems to think it is not the FREE baggage allowance[msnmad].

Thanks everyone.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Oh yes - great eh![msnwink]

AngelaB
15-05-2005, 02:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Angela
That's right (for every paying passenger - even the children), the allowance is up to 2 pieces at up to 32KG each.
The virgin website gives you all the allowances if you want to show him in black and white.

[/quote]

Have shown him in black and white....silly bugger still didnt belive me.....dont ask me why.....flippin men[msnmad].

Many many thanks everyone..[msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
15-05-2005, 11:50
Been there done that in Boston!! Dirty washing flying everywhere and dirty looks from the people in the queue behind[msnsad]. Weid forgotten that the golf clubs counted as a piece of luggage although we were way under on weight allowance.[msnembarrased]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ahagan
I agree with Steph - they will charge you if you go over with a piece even if its the only piece you have and you are entitled to two pieces.

Two Christmases ago, we had a Christmas tree and 2 big pieces. As there were 2 of us we thought we would be fine because we were under our allowed number of pieces (4)- Wrong! Luckily we had a spare suitcase in one of the big bags and we quickly re-distributed the weight, ending up with 4 pieces, each weighing about 30kg.
[/quote]

Steve and Dawn
15-05-2005, 22:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ravtino
Did you buy the guitar out there???????
[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in replying Ravtino, yes I have bought 3 over the years.

paulm
17-05-2005, 16:22
I am sure it's been 2 x 32kg since I first went with Virgin to Orlando in December 1997.
I KNOW that we had 2 BIG suitcases each AND sports holdalls as hand luggage.
Even the 16lb ten pin bowling ball did not take me over the limit !

Sharon G
21-03-2006, 18:31
Thought I'd bring this to the surface again as I,ve just checked Virgins web site for some info!

BEWARE as the allowance is changing from 1st April 2006 for travellers in Economy!!![msnoo][msnoo]

From 1 April 2006 we are making some changes to the baggage allowances on our flights.

On transatlantic, Caribbean and Nigerian routes, we've adjusted the allowance for Economy class to 2 pieces at 23kg per piece. For all other routes, we have increased the allowance for Economy and Premium Economy classes to 23kg.

BAA BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS TO AND FROM THE UK
All passengers travelling to and from the UK are not permitted to check in any bag that weighs in excess of 32kgs (70lbs). The maximum weight limit of 32kgs relates to single items of luggage and should not be seen as your baggage allowance. This new safety measure, which applies to all airlines and all destinations to/from the UK, is being introduced to reduce strains and injuries amongst baggage handling staff.

Passengers who exceed this maximum weight limit will be asked to repack their luggage into smaller units before they can check in. Excess baggage charges will be applied where applicable.

UPPER CLASS BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES BY PIECE
On Transatlantic, Caribbean and Nigerian routes we operate a piece system of allowance for checked in baggage.

Three pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 32kg (70lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).
UPPER CLASS BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE BY WEIGHT
On South African, Australian, Asian and Dubai routes we operate a weight system of allowance for checked in baggage.

A total maximum luggage weight of 30kg per passenger.

So don't bring back any heavy goodies unless your in Upper!!![msnwink]

steph_goodrum
21-03-2006, 18:45
"On transatlantic, Caribbean and Nigerian routes, we've adjusted the allowance for Economy class to 2 pieces at 23kg per piece. For all other routes, we have increased the allowance for Economy and Premium Economy classes to 23kg"

With their usual marketting jargon isn't interesting that they have "adjusted" not "decreased" the allowance but have "increased" the allowance for the other rates, don't want to be seen to be doing anything negative.

I for one will be writing to tell them that the allowance has been a factor in our contining to fly with them but if they have no there advantage then it will end up being determined by price alone.

E. Cosgrove
21-03-2006, 20:51
[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]
I feel an e mail coming on Steph.
I have 2 flights booked with them for May and Nov, both booked on the understanding that the luggage allowance was 2 pieces at 32 kg each!!![msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

steph_goodrum
21-03-2006, 21:02
I've sent one to that effect Liz. I booked for Aug only a couple of days ago and no mention was made of any changes to the allowance, one of our cases was 26k when we wen in Feb so I ould have turned up at the airport and been charged excess baggage if it had been implemented then, and I've had nothing through the Flying club to say there is any difference.
BA still says 32 so if they are going to be around the same price maybe we'll be trying them next,

E. Cosgrove
22-03-2006, 00:02
I've sent mine Steph and had the usual automated reply[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

Jill
22-03-2006, 02:12
Also sending one as we debated whether to book BA or Virgin and on checking BA website this evening they have not changed (or should I say adjusted) their baggage allowance. Perhaps if they get enough complaints they will take notice.

wrpac00
22-03-2006, 02:46
I don't own 46kg worth of clothes to take to Orlando[msnembarrased][msnwink]

steph_goodrum
22-03-2006, 04:08
"I don't own 46kg worth of clothes to take to Orlando"

Dont' think I do either Paul but on this trip I took 3 pairs of curtains for one room, a pair of half finished curtains for another along with a coordinating shower curtain and around 6 yds of fabric, 12 sheets, a 3 tier non electric steamer, 25 cds , 15 dvds, a pop up chipping net, safety can opener, assorted toys, 2 bolster cushion inserts, 2 throwover bedspreads, 10 books. ( I even managed a couple of pairs of shorts and a swimsuuit as well). Thank goodness for space bags.

djdigitald
23-03-2006, 19:02
I feel flights with BA coming on if Virgin go ahead with this. I am extremely disappointed with Virgin at the moment as i have an outstanding issue with them since the day i got back and all they do is pass me from one department to another by phone and by email.
You used to be able to email Richard Branson's office from one of the Virgin websites but i can't find it anymore, there customer service is down right p*** poor at the moment and this will just make things worse.