PDA

View Full Version : Weeki Wachee

esprit
15-02-2002, 03:00
Is that how you spell it??? Quite a drive, up near Homosassa Springs, but you will never see anything quite like this live mermaid show which takes place in a real spring. Girls ( and one bloke) act out the little mermaid story and stay under the water for an incredibly long time with just the odd suck on a breathing tube. Very kitschy but totally unique and kids just love it. You get a bird show, a little zoo and a boat ride as well for your money and a dip in the spring if you are brave enough ( it took my breath away even in mid Summer making me admire those mermaids even more!!!) There is a small water park next door too if you want to make a day of it.

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
15-02-2002, 14:25
About how long is the drive (in miles)-hours is meaningless to our family. You can easily add on an extra 2-3 hours when we go anywhere-don't ask me why!

Sounds great-I would like to try it! Is there plenty to keep big kids amused!

Orlandobabe

esprit
16-02-2002, 03:07
Asked my husband ( who drives us about) how many miles and he said "God knows" which was a load of help!!! It is on the gulf coast in the Tarpon/Homasassa Springs area north of Clearwater and St Petes. So you can either get there by going to St Petes and going north or you can trek across Polk Countys "B" roads and that does take an age. I would reckon an hour and a half or so. Plenty for kids and you can visit the Homosassa Springs Manatee Sanctuary as well while you are over that side.

Julie Carty

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2002, 03:37
I was curious so did some surfing... I think it is actually spelt Weeki Watchee Springs & water Park but could find little else. The phone no is 1-877-go-weeki. However, I did read one article that said post 11 Sept the mermaids were only reporting to work 3 days a week not 7.