PDA

View Full Version : Book Club

Deb
25-03-2005, 19:15
I can't see that this idea has been suggested before, but I think a Book Club could be popular, in a similar way to Richard's & Judy's Book Club. There is always a great book you have read or has been recommended to you. I'm reading Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code' at the moment. It is a very controversial subject but just'unputdownable'. I only manage to read @ bedtime, and this last week my lights been going off later and later.
The club could be separated into different catergories - Fact & Fiction. What do you think?

Debra

Cruella DeVilla
25-03-2005, 19:20
Oh let me tell you the ending;) I could not put in down either and subscribe to the theory!

Ray&Sarah
25-03-2005, 19:20
Ray is reading 'The Da Vinci Code' too Debra and he agrees that is is 'unputdownable'.[msnsmile]

Deb
25-03-2005, 19:25
CDV

Don't you dare [msnoo]

My friend said to me the other day 'when you finished the book did you ....??' because Kev (her husband) did and she realised I hadn't finished it and stopped mid sentence.

I also like any of John Grisham's - hopefully his latest will be in paperback when I'm over next week.

emm
25-03-2005, 19:46
I read The Da Vinci Code a while ago, and it was the best thing I had read for ages!! I really enjoyed it.

I think the idea of a Book Club is a great one.

Cruella DeVilla
25-03-2005, 20:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Deb
CDV

Don't you dare [msnoo]

My friend said to me the other day 'when you finished the book did you ....??' because Kev (her husband) did and she realised I hadn't finished it and stopped mid sentence.

I also like any of John Grisham's - hopefully his latest will be in paperback when I'm over next week.

[/quote]

I like Jeffrey Deaver, James Patterson, Jack Higgins, Patricia Cornwell and the likes. Mr CDV likes things like Ben Elton, Stephen King etc. I like a good who dunnit. When I was 15/16 I used to read Jackie Collins and the Harold Robins, think it was all part of growing up;)

So OV would have its own answer to Norris and Emily's bookclub then[msneek]

Cruella DeVilla
25-03-2005, 20:42
There is a another book, it's at home and I can't remember its name or author at the minute but it is the answers to the theories in the Da Vinci Code. Won't discuss it yet til you have finished the book.

I enjoyed the book more so as I had a real intrest in the cryptography as I worked as a Cryptographer for 10 years and only changed direction recently.

P.S. I had sussed out the baddie well before the end, it's all there.........[?]

DiannaUK
25-03-2005, 21:05
I've read the Da Vinci Code too, and agree it was fantastic, just wanted to read page after page! I've also read Deception Point by Dan Brown which is similarly "unputdownable", I've got the other 2 "Angels and Demons" and "Digital Fortress" which I'm trying to save for my flight to FL in May (but may not be able to resist). Jeffrey Deaver and James Patterson fan as well - Michael Connelley, John Connelley, Ian Rankin and Martina Cole are also very good reads.

Deb
25-03-2005, 21:06
I like to vary my reading. If its been a John Grisham I'll pick Marian Keyes next, and I always choose a new book in the airport to suit where I'm going. Thats getting difficult now -there's not many set in Florida, but I do like Nora Roberts.
I'm fed up reading about perfect,successful,beautiful,size 8 female, meet & marry billionaire type books. Like you CDV I read all those and the Jackie Collins book years ago. Wishful thinking maybe?
Your job sounds fascinating, was it?

Deb
25-03-2005, 21:11
Another of my favourites is 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett - a massive book spanning about 300 years of the building of a cathedral, but with a murder mystery running through it. Its nearly a history book in itself.

Snapper
25-03-2005, 22:14
I read Digital Fortress (Dan Brown) last week on the flight back from Orlando. It's another real page turner, but not great for Jet Lag. Dean Koontz is another of my favourite authors. I've been reading his stuff since he wrote under the Leigh Nichols pen name. A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) and The Life Of Pi (Yann Martel) are both recent reads and I think pretty excellent. I'm reading Kate Adie's autobiography, The Kindness of Strangers, at the moment and it's turning into a very good read.

chris
26-03-2005, 01:38
I work as a librarian in a secondary school so for me a book club would be very useful as I could get some ideas for new books suitable for the students (and also weed out the ones that aren't.[msnwink])

chrizzy100
26-03-2005, 01:41
I'm into Terry Pratchett......OK chrissy will now leave the room before she is thrown out........[msnscared]

emm
26-03-2005, 01:48
I have also read Digital Fortress - which I thought was very good, and felt very pleased with myself for working things out towards the end of the book, before the characters had. The last book I finished was The Time Traveller's Wife. I enjoyed that too, and found I had to pay very careful attention to everything that was happening, or all the time-travelling got very confusing!

Currently I am reading The American Boy. It is quite good, but not really a page-turner for me.

Cruella DeVilla
26-03-2005, 08:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i] Like you CDV I read all those and the Jackie Collins book years ago. Wishful thinking maybe?
Your job sounds fascinating, was it?
[/quote]

It was actually, have the option to go back and do it in the future.
They tend to house us undereground in rooms with no windows etc, bit like Phantom of the Opera living in the caverns! Talking of which I read the follow up to that, somebody unexpected like Dick Francis wrote it. Shocking ending! [:O]

Genie
28-03-2005, 01:11
I enjoyed reading all the Bill Bryson books. They are a bit of a lighter read when you want something amusing !

LiesaAnna
28-03-2005, 01:29
well my taste is............ romantic books based around thw world war 2, and any others around that time! mostly the ones i like are based in and aound Liverpool, the one i am reading at present is .... dont laugh.... Annie Murray, Miss Purdy's class, and the next is Chocolate Girls!!, my favourite authors are Lyn Andrews, Maureen Lee, Joan Jonker, and many others!
i am a right bookworm have just been bidding on several on ebay![msnwink]

Deb
28-03-2005, 02:26
I've seen in today's paper they are going to make a film of the Da Vinci Code starring Tom Hanks. I hope they capture the intrigue & mystery of the book - films are often disappointing.
Jean - I loved Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Small Island'. The UK seen through the eyes of an American, all those funny phrases we use![msnsmile]

Genie
28-03-2005, 03:03
They are all good Deb , I find myself giggling as I read them, other people think I am quite mad !!! still they are probably right !

janice
28-03-2005, 03:38
I have just read The Jane Austen Book Club, one of R & Js book clubs, it was very good but could have done with a bit more discussion on the actual books (especially Mr. Darcy, Pride & Prejudice ;)). Before that I read The Bookseller of Kahbul, that was brilliant. When I am in Florida I always like to buy African American books, they are such good reads, especially the non-fiction, you learn a lot.

Cruella DeVilla
28-03-2005, 20:58
I've seen in today's paper they are going to make a film of the Da Vinci Code starring Tom Hanks. I hope they capture the intrigue & mystery of the book - films are often disappointing.
[/quote]

Deb

They might have filmed it already or be in the process of it as I read that last year. Tom Hanks is a brilliant actor so hopefully he can do it justice!

DiannaUK
29-03-2005, 00:36
I obviously have no will power whatsoever. :)

Despite intending to save Angels and Demons for my trip to Orlando in May, I gave in and read it yesterday and today.

Couldn't put it down, well worth the read. And it took my mind off chocolate. msnwink]

Dianna.

fiona
30-03-2005, 05:19
Well I am doing loads of reading at the moment, although none of it very demanding due to chemo brain at work and concentration powers are not what they were! Last week I read Restoring Grace by Katie Fforde (good fun and better than her recent ones have been), Sylvester by Georgette Heyer, an oldie but a goodie, as always a wonderful comedy of manners, and Winter Soltice by Rosamunde Pilcher - lovely aga saga set in Sutherland. This week I am reading the Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble, having read her Tenko Club a few weeks ago. A group of ladies meet every month to discuss a variety of books, but it mainly follows their own lives with all the dramas that entail. Sadly I can read and eat chocolate at the same time - now how is that I wonder?[msnwink]

Thorogoods
17-04-2005, 03:31
Book club would be a great ideal, though I hate to say it The Da Vinci Code was not all that, but still a page turner (a screenplay for a movie), "Angels and Demons" is much better. Sadly I'm reading Lord of the Rings for 6th time.

Chrissy my wife Sam loves Terry Prachett, and Terry Brooks (I think she can only read authors with the name Terry).[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
17-04-2005, 04:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Thorogoods
Book club would be a great ideal, though I hate to say it The Da Vinci Code was not all that, but still a page turner (a screenplay for a movie), "Angels and Demons" is much better. Sadly I'm reading Lord of the Rings for 6th time.

Chrissy my wife Sam loves Terry Prachett, and Terry Brooks (I think she can only read authors with the name Terry).[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Another Terry Prachett fan....how cool.....I love love love them....and read them time and time again.....I also read a lot of Anne Rice...and True Crime...

DisneyDreamer
17-04-2005, 11:47
I am reading The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, which is very interesting. I love Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell and for a bit of light reading it has to be Marian Keyes....altho I just love to read in general!

Everytime we go to Florida I buy books at the airport then bring them back unopened....there is always something else to do. ;)

DisneyDreamer
17-04-2005, 11:52
[/quote]

I like Jeffrey Deaver, James Patterson, Jack Higgins, Patricia Cornwell and the likes. Mr CDV likes things like Ben Elton, Stephen King etc. I like a good who dunnit. When I was 15/16 I used to read Jackie Collins and the Harold Robins, think it was all part of growing up;)

So OV would have its own answer to Norris and Emily's bookclub then[msneek]
[/quote]

LOL I was reading the Jackie Collins and Harolds Robins books too when I was younger and thought I was very mature...I think my tastes have changed a bit since then mind you!

LiesaAnna
17-04-2005, 13:26
makes me look so dull!!:( i just like maureen lees and katie flynn and joan jonkers i love a good old story set around the 1900 to 1950 my favourites are set in and around liverpool!! nothing gets done in my house once i pick up a book!!
does anyone else read books like me[msnembarrased]

DisneyDreamer
17-04-2005, 13:54
Liesa my Mum adores the same books as you, she lives in Spain and has a job getting hold of them though..she tries to get to as many ex-pat boot sales out there as possible as this is her only way to buy them!:)

jo carroll
17-04-2005, 14:12
I have just finished reading a fantastic book called "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell". It's set in England in the 1800's and is about magic returning to England. It was very long which is just how I like a really good book to be. Sometimes a good book can be over just too quickly and you have to come back to the real world far too soon.

I've now started "the Time Travellers Wife" but am struggling to get into it. Is it worth persevering anyone?

Jo.

Ray&Sarah
17-04-2005, 15:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
makes me look so dull!!:( i just like maureen lees and katie flynn and joan jonkers i love a good old story set around the 1900 to 1950 my favourites are set in and around liverpool!! nothing gets done in my house once i pick up a book!!
does anyone else read books like me[msnembarrased]
[/quote]

I enjoy these type of books too Leisa, just reading a Lyn Andrews one at the moment. Gritty northern stories.[msnsmile]

emm
17-04-2005, 15:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jo carroll

I've now started "the Time Travellers Wife" but am struggling to get into it. Is it worth persevering anyone?

Jo.
[/quote]

Yes. I really enjoyed it, although you do have to keep paying attention, or you could lose the thread with all the jumping about in time. I found I was quite a few chapters into the book before I really began to get the hang of what was going on.

emm
17-04-2005, 15:58
I am now reading the first book about the Famous Five by Enid Blyton! I thought I'd like to remind myself why I enjoyed them so much!! [msnwink]

stabard
17-04-2005, 16:07
My favorite book of all time is The Lord of the Rings. Lost count how many times I have read it - first time I was 12!
I also LOVE Terry Pratchett as they just make me laugh out loud. My favorite charaters are Death ,The Witches and The Guards.
I read the Time Travellers Wife a couple of weeks ago and have to say I got a bit fed up with it half way through but I did finish it. I can't see me reading it again so will take it to the villa and leave it for the guests[msnwink]
Another Set of books I have begun reading are the Number 1 Ladies Detetive Agency books. A nice Light read on the plane and again can be left at the villa - got to build up that library some how [msnsmile2]
Oh - and I also like the Edith Padgett books about Brother Cadfeal. I have a complete set and like to read them again and again, even tho I know Who did it now [msnsmile2]

stabard
17-04-2005, 16:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm
I am now reading the first book about the Famous Five by Enid Blyton! I thought I'd like to remind myself why I enjoyed them so much!! [msnwink]
[/quote]

And don't Forget the SS Emm[msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
17-04-2005, 18:42
[/quote][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]Hairy legs!!!!

E. Cosgrove
17-04-2005, 18:47
I like easy to read, no concentration books.
I am probably on closest wavelength to Fiona as we like a lot of the same stuff.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is I like "chick lit"[msnembarrased]
Nothing too challenging[msneek]
Is Lyn Andrews the author who is supposed to be the Northern answer to Martina Cole? ( I love MC books)

chrizzy100
17-04-2005, 19:29
[/quote]

I read the one about the castle and the smugglers time and time again when I was young....I can't remember the name of it now......

Cruella DeVilla
17-04-2005, 20:28
[/quote]

I like lashings of ginger beer when I read those books.;)

emm
17-04-2005, 23:25
I have given the lashings of ginger beer a miss (actually I never did like it) but I have got some tins of fruit and ripe plums beside me as I read!!

Chrizzy, the first book is called Five on a Treasure Island. It involves a shipwreck, a castle and some gold ingots. Is that the one you are talking about do you think?

DisneyDreamer
17-04-2005, 23:33
I have just finished reading a fantastic book called "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell". It's set in England in the 1800's and is about magic returning to England. It was very long which is just how I like a really good book to be. Sometimes a good book can be over just too quickly and you have to come back to the real world far too soon.

Jo.
[/quote]

Jo, It's taking me longer to read than most books as I am having to really concentrate, but I will persevere and I am enjoying it...will need some serious fluffy girly novel afterwards though!:)

Ray&Sarah
17-04-2005, 23:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
[/quote][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]Hairy legs!!!!
[/quote]

Hear hear Liz![msnwink]:D

chrizzy100
18-04-2005, 00:09
I have given the lashings of ginger beer a miss (actually I never did like it) but I have got some tins of fruit and ripe plums beside me as I read!!

Chrizzy, the first book is called Five on a Treasure Island. It involves a shipwreck, a castle and some gold ingots. Is that the one you are talking about do you think?
[/quote]

I think so.....I'll go look it up online and see......[msnsmile2]

I just did.....and yes it is.....I may just have to go out and buy it now.......

Thorogoods
18-04-2005, 01:32
My Favorite Terry Pratchett book has to be Mort because this was the first one I read but also it has my favorite charcter Death in it,But I also enjoy the Witches one's and the Guards book's .

But I do agree Lord of the Rings is also my favorite of all time which I have read so many time I have to keep buying new copies as they seem wear out. But you must not discount the Hobbit which I read for the first at school which is also very good.[clap]

jo carroll
18-04-2005, 02:48
I like Lord of the Rings too and have read it twice - will probably read it again but not for a good while, so much other stuff to read and I don't have as much time these days what with kids, work, a villa etc. If you like Lord of the Rings you may well like the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I read them last summer and they really were unputdownable for me, my hubby got quite cross because we went on holiday and all I wanted to do was read.

I will keep going with The Time Travellers Wife but agree the need for a nice fluffy book afterwards.

Jo.

chrizzy100
18-04-2005, 04:23
My Favorite Terry Pratchett book has to be Mort because this was the first one I read but also it has my favorite charcter Death in it,But I also enjoy the Witches one's and the Guards book's .

But I do agree Lord of the Rings is also my favorite of all time which I have read so many time I have to keep buying new copies as they seem wear out. But you must not discount the Hobbit which I read for the first at school which is also very good.[clap]
[/quote]

The Last Continent is my all time fav Disc World book......

"Will you stop talking about jam and be sensible for a moment!"

Rincewind lowered the sandwich. "Good grief, I hope not," he said. "I'm sitting in a cave in a country where everything bites you and it never rains and I'm talking, no offence, to a herbivore that smells of a carpet in a house where there are a lot of excitable puppies, and I've suddenly got this talent for finding jam sandwiches and inexplicable fairy cakes in unexpected places, and I've been shown something very odd in a picture on some old cave wall, and suddenly said kangaroo tells me time and space are all wrong and wants me to be sensible? What, when you get right down to it, is in it for me?"

Cruella DeVilla
18-04-2005, 04:40
Oh Elaine I love Gingerbeer and have found a really fiery one from Jamaca in Walmart, I was gong to bring some round with my copy of Enid;)

Deb
18-04-2005, 17:52
I have recently read "Snobs" by Julian Fellowes. All about the 'upper classes' and all their rules about mixing with the 'peasants'!! The story follows a young woman with ambitions to marry for money and she does so, but is not accepted by her in-laws family. A very entertaining, light hearted look at the aristocracy and what snobs they all are!! I don't think they would even visit Florida - it was all country pursuits for them.

I'm now onto a James Patterson murder mystery set in San Francisco. I've read several of his books and one or two have been made into films - Morgan Freeman was excellent in Along came a Spider.

I think my next one will be a chick lit novel, just something nice and easy.

stabard
18-04-2005, 18:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Oh Elaine I love Gingerbeer and have found a really fiery one from Jamaca in Walmart, I was gong to bring some round with my copy of Enid;)
[/quote]

I have the Gingerbeer too - find it is a great ingredient in some of the interesting cocktails I have been practising lately[beer]

Have just finally managed to finish the entire set of Enid Blytons "Barney" stories. ( I was reading them to my youngest son at bedtime - honest) We have now gone on to The Mr Men so may have to find something a bit more challenging to counter act this [laugh]

E. Cosgrove
18-04-2005, 21:03
Finished Catherine Alliott "The Wedding Day" last night so have now moved on to "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday" by Donna Hay, real page turning stuff!![msnwink]
Well I'm whacked out when I've finished on the forum, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:D

Ana
18-04-2005, 21:52
My taste in books changes with the weather! I often start three to see which one I fancy.

I read Angels and Demons, but haven't yet read Dan Brown's others. The Da Vinci Code is in my pile of books to start, as is The 2.5 Pillars of Wisdom - same author as the no.1 Ladies Detective agency books (which I really enjoyed) I also love "chick lit". I have just finished Jemima J (Jane Green) and The Baby Trail (Sinead Moriarty) both great light reading. I'm currently reading The Bad Mothers Handbook (Kate Long) a great read so far..........

E. Cosgrove
18-04-2005, 23:14
Jemima J is wonderful!!
I'd love to do a Jemima and reinvent myself[msnwink]
I've read all of Jane Greens books except her latest, which I'm waiting to come out in paperback. Spellbound is good as well, sort of Jemima J in reverse!![msneek]And a lovely New England setting as well.

DisneyDreamer
19-04-2005, 00:39
Another huge Jane Green fan....read them all too. She has a wicked sense of humour!!![laugh]

Thorogoods
19-04-2005, 15:41
Hi Jo I have also read 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman. which was very good my daughter is just starting them now.

jo carroll
20-04-2005, 00:04
We obviously enjoy the same books. :) I like Terry Pratchett too, have only read the first two of the discworld series, Mort is next and is in the pile on the bedside table, I'm looking forward to it, maybe I'll choose that one to follow my slow reading of the time traveller's wife ( still keeping going).

Jo.

Cruella DeVilla
20-04-2005, 00:09
Well, had a morning by the pool and from my stack of unread new books I choose the 3rd Degree which is the 3rd book in a James Patterson series about a bunch of females called the Murder Club. He is one of my favourite authors as his stories twist and you think....noooooooo! Half way through, shall finish it off later.

jo carroll
20-04-2005, 01:02
STILL in Florida CDV, or have you come back and gone again. I am jealous!!

benfilo
20-04-2005, 02:19
like Jo one of my favourites is lord of the rings and I also read Dark materials last summer and really enjjoyed them. for those who like to visit strange lands like that, Steven Donaldson's White Gold Wielder is worth a go.
I'd never read any Stephen king up until last year, and never thought I would, but i stumbled on his Gunslinger series last and got hooked on his writing. The cover blurb says it's a cross between The good the bad and the ugly and Lord O T rings, I found it an excellent Sci fi fantasy with some horror. Then there's The Stand, Needful Things....
perhaps we should get people to nominate there 5 favourite to create our own top 100

jo carroll
20-04-2005, 02:34
"Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Wielder is worth a go"

Yes! I've read these too but many years ago, had almost forgotten about them. Maybe time for a re-visit. Better get off the forums and get reading - both are enjoyable and addictive pastimes, I am torn.

jo carroll
20-04-2005, 02:38
A top five? Good idea but crikey, how to choose. [msneek] Some serious thinking needed here.

stabard
20-04-2005, 02:44

Yes! I've read these too but many years ago, had almost forgotten about them. Maybe time for a re-visit. Better get off the forums and get reading - both are enjoyable and addictive pastimes, I am torn.
[/quote]

There is a new one out now - Lee bought it for me for Xmas. Linden Avery is back in The Land. It looks to be the start of another Trilogy.

benfilo
20-04-2005, 02:47

[/quote]

I've read them twice now Jo, long time ago like yourself . it is addictive and the books are so much better than most of the films that are based on them, got to hand it to everybody involved in the LOTR films tho'

Cruella DeVilla
20-04-2005, 02:50
STILL in Florida CDV, or have you come back and gone again. I am jealous!!
[/quote]

I went back to Europe for 9 days at the end of March and then back out again on the 7th April and have just extended til next weekend. The weather is the best it has been on our last 5 trips and we are just soaking it up and enjoying the new house:D

Would recommend a month in Florida to anyone[8D]

benfilo
20-04-2005, 02:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard

[/quote]

There is a new one out now - Lee bought it for me for Xmas. Linden Avery is back in The Land. It looks to be the start of another Trilogy.
[/quote]

have to add that to the shopping list then, think I'll wait until i go to the US and buy a sackful

Thorogoods
20-04-2005, 03:41
Hi used to read Stephen King - Needful Things not to bad, but the only Horror Book ever to scare has been IT by Stephen King not only scary but a brilliant story.[msnscared]

Ana
20-04-2005, 04:29
Jemima J is wonderful!!
I've read all of Jane Greens books except her latest, which I'm waiting to come out in paperback. Spellbound is good as well, sort of Jemima J in reverse!![msneek]And a lovely New England setting as well.
[/quote]
That was the first Jane Green book I've read, but I did notice she has a lot more to work on.............more for my pile!!!

benfilo
21-04-2005, 01:36
Hi used to read Stephen King - Needful Things not to bad, but the only Horror Book ever to scare has been IT by Stephen King not only scary but a brilliant story.[msnscared]
[/quote]

I can't believe i didn't start reading him sooner it's amazing what goes on in his head, just think of some of the films to come out of his books Shawshank, Green Mile and The Shining
Haven't red it but saw the film , isn't that the one with pennywise(name??) the clown[msnscared]

chrizzy100
21-04-2005, 02:26
[/quote]

I like Stephen King....I'm just trying to work out if its worth writing to him to see if our families are linked .....he uses our family names in a lot of his books....I'm sure its nothing really....but now I have his e-mail address...it maybe worth asking....if only to find out why he uses the names.......

Thorogoods
21-04-2005, 02:38
Yes Pennywise the clown, Shawshank has to be one of the best movies of all times and is the best adaption of book ever - maybe because it was based upon short story.[:o)]

Cruella DeVilla
21-04-2005, 03:01
Stephen King is great I think his stories are more gripping than scary[msnscared].
I absolutely loved the Green Mile and Misery.

DisneyDreamer
21-04-2005, 18:34
Well I am coming towards the end of The Time Travellers Wife and the pace is picking up!

Now I have no idea what to read next.....fancy a good thriller or some fluffy chick lit....anybody got any suggestions of new releases that might fit the bill?
:)[?]:)

fiona
21-04-2005, 20:59
Is the Time Travellers Wife good? I have had that to read for ages now and as my brain is slowly starting to de-fuzz I might give it a go. However it will have to wait behind this list, Brother & Sister by Joanna Trollope (which I have just started), The Family Way by Tony Parsons and the Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Read a couple of Liz Young's books last week which are very funny and excellent chick-lit.

stabard
21-04-2005, 21:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
[/quote]

have to add that to the shopping list then, think I'll wait until i go to the US and buy a sackful

[/quote]

Just found it again - It is called " The Runes of the Earth - The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"
I enjoyed it and will of course have to read the rest to find out what happens but it was not as good as the First Chronicles I thought.

DisneyDreamer
21-04-2005, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
Is the Time Travellers Wife good? I have had that to read for ages now and as my brain is slowly starting to de-fuzz I might give it a go. However it will have to wait behind this list, Brother & Sister by Joanna Trollope (which I have just started), The Family Way by Tony Parsons and the Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Read a couple of Liz Young's books last week which are very funny and excellent chick-lit.
[/quote]

I have struggled with it at times, you do have to concentrate so you don't lose the thread...but almost finished now and really enjoying the last few chapters...I would say it's worth giving a go.

Debating whether to buy The Jane Austen Book Club?

I have a question for all you Book Clubbers, which I hope will help me choose my next book.....
What is your favourite book of all time and why?
[?][?][?]:)

E. Cosgrove
21-04-2005, 23:54
I couldn't possibly pick an all time favourite, when I was young I loved Enid Blyton, as a young teenager Agatha Christie, as an older teenager Jackie Collins and Victoria Holt and so on and so on.
My all time top 10 in no particular order would be ;
Riders: Jilly Cooper
The Other Side of Midnight: Sidney Sheldon
When the Lion Feeds: Wilbur Smith
Tell No One: Harlan Coben
Ruth Appleby: Elvi Rhodes
The Thornbirds : Colleen McCulloch
The Shellseekers: Rosamund Pilcher
Don't look Back: Lesley Pearse
A Woman of Substance: Barbara Taylor Bradford
Kane and Abel: Jeffrey Archer
Iam quite surprised to see 4 male authors in there as I always thought i preferred female writers, but now I,m not so sure.

benfilo
22-04-2005, 01:57
[/quote]

Just found it again - It is called " The Runes of the Earth - The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"
I enjoyed it and will of course have to read the rest to find out what happens but it was not as good as the First Chronicles I thought.
[/quote]

I'll give it a try then,I've read the first series a couple of times and really enjoyed them (mostly) I think it's the reluctant hero that like in some of the books I read.

jo carroll
22-04-2005, 22:10
Disney Dreamer, for fluffy chick lit - have you read "Olivia Joules and the overactive imagination", Helen Fielding? For Thriller -ish "The Constant Gardner" John le Carre, great book.

A contender for my favourite book of all time "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Penman, an account of the Wars of the Roses, historically extremely accurate but written as a novel. Very very readable- absolutely loved it.

I'm still going with "The Time Traveller's wife!"

jo carroll
22-04-2005, 22:13
Oh and forgot to ask, do you think books are good value in the US?I've never really thought they were but haven't really looked all that hard as I always take a stack with me whenever I travel. Get a bit panicky if I think I might not have enough reading material to last my trip!

E. Cosgrove
22-04-2005, 22:43
You can always pick up a good Mary Higgins Clark, Sidney Sheldon or Norah Jones from Publix or Walmart.
We are hoping to get a bit of a library going at the villa where guests will leave books they have read and perhaps take one home hat someone else left behind.

Cruella DeVilla
23-04-2005, 04:15
[quote]Originally posted by jo carroll
Oh and forgot to ask, do you think books are good value in the US?I've never really thought they were but haven't really looked all that hard as I always take a stack with me whenever I travel. Get a bit panicky if I think I

I buy a lot of books in the USA as they are cheaper and the titles come out earlier..like the movies[msnsmile2]

DisneyDreamer
23-04-2005, 10:54
Disney Dreamer, for fluffy chick lit - have you read "Olivia Joules and the overactive imagination", Helen Fielding? For Thriller -ish "The Constant Gardner" John le Carre, great book.

A contender for my favourite book of all time "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Penman, an account of the Wars of the Roses, historically extremely accurate but written as a novel. Very very readable- absolutely loved it.

I'm still going with "The Time Traveller's wife!"
[/quote]

Jo, I have read 'Olivia Joules...', very funny it was too. I am going to Smith's today to have a look at the new releases. To be honest, I don't tend to buy books in Florida but I do buy them at the airport, like CDV says, you can get them before they are released in the UK (I believe they release them at the airport shops early to see how they do?)

Liz, a great selection of books, I have read quite a few of them but am thinking of getting to the library and re-reading some...Thornbirds in particular.

DisneyDreamer
23-04-2005, 10:55
You can always pick up a good Mary Higgins Clark, Sidney Sheldon or Norah Jones from Publix or Walmart.
We are hoping to get a bit of a library going at the villa where guests will leave books they have read and perhaps take one home hat someone else left behind.
[/quote]

I love to go to a villa and find a selection of books....I often find myself reading something I would never have chosen for myself - and really enjoying it!:)

Deb
23-04-2005, 12:18
There is a second hand book shop @ the Berry Town Centre along the US 27. I have bought many books from there to leave in the villa for guests. If they take them home thats fine as they cost anything from $1 depending on condition. Some books look like they have only been read the once - they are about $3.50 -$4, so excellent value. You do need plenty of time to browse as there's loads to choose from.

E. Cosgrove
23-04-2005, 13:02
Which direction is that along the 27 Deb?
Any landmarks?
There is a second hand book shop @ the Berry Town Centre along the US 27. I have bought many books from there to leave in the villa for guests. If they take them home thats fine as they cost anything from $1 depending on condition. Some books look like they have only been read the once - they are about $3.50 -$4, so excellent value. You do need plenty of time to browse as there's loads to choose from.

[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
23-04-2005, 13:37
[/quote]

We do that too Liz, when we went to the villa in February I had several new books to read.[msnsmile]

Deb
23-04-2005, 14:42
Liz

Berry Town Centre is just past Highlands Reserve as you head North on US27. First set of traffic lights after you pass HR turn left, the shop is just next to Publix.

Deb
23-04-2005, 14:51
I have just read this from 'Richard & Judy's column this morning in the Daily Express:

'At the British Book Awards, which Judy has also written about, the winner in the category "Richard & Judy's Best Read" was, deservedly, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Our viewers narrowly preferred it to runners-up - The Shadow of The Wind and The Time Traveler's Wife.
'Anyway, I can thoroughly recommend Cloud Atlas. It is really a collection of six short stories or novellas, all with cliff-hanger endings. You gradually realise that all the tales are subtley linked through space and time, beginning in the 19th century and ending in the far, far future. Friends who started it at bedtime say they couldn't put the light out until they had finished it. You have been warned.'

What good recommendations - we'll never run out of great books to read, another addiction!!!

caroline
23-04-2005, 16:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DisneyDreamer[brI often find myself reading something I would never have chosen for myself - and really enjoying it!:)
[/quote]

I forgot to take a book on the plane a few years ago and in desperation ended up reading one of Declan's books (he was about 10 at the time!) I really enjoyed it and ended up reading the whole series[msnembarrased]

Ray&Sarah
23-04-2005, 16:44
I have just finished reading "my Sisters Keeper" by Jodi Picoult which was also on the Richard & Judy books list. Not usually one I would have chosen but thought it was a good read with a surprising outcome.[msnsmile]

Deb
26-04-2005, 13:22
I am an avid John Grisham fan and have been waiting for 'The Broker' to be released in paperback. I couldn't even find it in Florida recently. Yesterday I was in Waterstone's and checked the date it was due out. 'Sometime in December' - the assistant said the publishers had delayed it due to the hardback and large paperback selling so well. Just out in time for the Xmas market. That man is an incredible and rich! author. Wish I could write that.

jo carroll
27-04-2005, 02:55
I think a library in the villa is a great idea and plan to start one when we go at the end of May (for our first stay! :)). I agree it's great to stay somwhere and browse the house selection!

Thorogoods
27-04-2005, 16:43
We started a library, mainly of books we will read. But between us we like a broad section of fiction that will appeal to everyone. [clap]

Thinking of re-reading Douglas Adams we were discussing the film in the office with some people who have never read the books, forgetten just how funny they were.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

E. Cosgrove
13-05-2005, 15:59
Just finishing "The Burning Blue" by James Holland. It's set in wartime and is about flying and the RAF[msneek]
Didn't imagine for one minute I would enjoy it but it is excellent and I'm glad I was persuaded to read it![msnsmile]

DisneyDreamer
13-05-2005, 20:37
When I was younger I loved Jackie Collins books.....then as I got a bit older I thought I had grown out of her writing and haven't bought her books for years. Someone has just given me a copy of one of her more recent books.... Hollywood Wives....I can't put it down!!!!!! It's certainly a much lighter than The Time Travellers Wife, good though it was.[8)]

Daglish
15-05-2005, 01:31
Just found this thread and as a bookworm want to say thanks for all the suggestions.

Have to agree with Jo though that my favourite book list would have to include The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman very near the top. In fact all her books would make my list.

Jo have you read 'There be Dragons' which is another of my favourites by her?

Tracy

emm
18-05-2005, 00:42
Has anyone read 'Cloud Atlas' yet? What did you think? I've just got started with it.

Pluto
22-05-2005, 21:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
Jemima J is wonderful!!
[/quote]
That was the first Jane Green book I've read, but I did notice she has a lot more to work on.............more for my pile!!!
[/quote]

The new Jane Green book, called The Other Woman, is now out. I bought it today. Only problem is, I want to read it on the plane but don't know if I can hold out for 5 weeks. If I get a new book I have to start it straight away then if its's good I wish I hadn't started it:D

E. Cosgrove
23-05-2005, 02:09
I bought it yesterday Karen. I have several others I am waiting to read so hopefully I will manage to save it 8 weeks until my next hols!!!!!

Susan J
23-05-2005, 13:59
Penny Vincenzi Books are a good read, especially the ones all about the same family - mind is a sieve today, so cannot think of a single title, or the name of the family - runs around a publishing house and generations of family. Anyway, they are good for a read in the sun, and then for a mindless read, I like " Miss REad" books about a village - they are a comforting book from the past, I still re read Agatha Christies and the like, and often pick up a Sandra Brown book to read on a sun lounger. Have read everything of Steven Kings [ some twice] and think they are atmospheric, although I wasn't sure about Bag o' Bones.
I have had the pleasure of re reading all Enid Blytons with my son, who loved the famous Five, Secret Seven, " THe Mystery of......" with PC Goon in, and the ones with Barney and the Monkey, like THe rub a dub mystery, and Ring o bells. Oh happy days :)
And now I have found all the Harry Potters good - full of words - daft though that sounds
All time favourite - I uusually say -To Kill a Mocking Bird - I really enjoyed that book.

E. Cosgrove
11-09-2005, 00:20
Just finished "Tainted Lives" by Mandasue Heller. This is a great read for anyone who likes Martina Cole.

kazandloouk
11-09-2005, 01:06
I really like Martina Cole so will definately give that a try.

Has anyone here read Funny Bones ? (sorry if its been mentioned before), its a really sad but nice book and well worth a read

E. Cosgrove
11-09-2005, 02:24
Do you mean "The lovely bones"?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kazandloouk
I really like Martina Cole so will definately give that a try.

Has anyone here read Funny Bones ? (sorry if its been mentioned before), its a really sad but nice book and well worth a read
[/quote]

kazandloouk
11-09-2005, 03:12
LOL yes, as soon as I typed it I knew Id done it wrong
Have you read it ?

owen3
11-09-2005, 05:09
I like reading Andy Mcnab and Chris Ryan books, about the sas. Just got Chris Ryans new book called Blackout. I also used to read Jackie Collins, my favourite one by Jackie Collins was Lovers and Gamblers. I think she was referring to Tom Jones in the book. As she was supposed to be writing about someone well known in her books. Barbara

linda allen
11-09-2005, 13:09
Lovely Bones was really good, I read it in a day, but that was before owning a villa!!

I love Kathy Reichs. She writes about a forensic anthropologist and is in fact a F A in real life.

E. Cosgrove
11-09-2005, 13:58
I read the lovely bones and thought it was good in patches. Have you read her other book "Lucky" I don't know anyone who has read this.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kazandloouk
LOL yes, as soon as I typed it I knew Id done it wrong
Have you read it ?
[/quote]

kazandloouk
11-09-2005, 16:14
No, not read Lucky but think Ill look out for it.
I've not read a really good book in ages, I find you have spells where you read lots that you really enjoy then nothing ..

emm
11-09-2005, 21:32
I've read Lovely Bones - I thought it was good.

normajohnp
17-09-2005, 23:00
Hi Liz,
I have read her book Lucky and it is quite harrowing in parts. I don`t know if you are aware but it is about when she was raped!It really deals with her family and how they all coped. Well worth a read but upseting in parts as she has to really be tough to bring the rapist to court.

Paula D-S
26-09-2005, 02:28
Aherm, my fav books ever are Malory Towers by Enid Blyton I just got these for my daughter who is 9 and she loved them too.[msnembarrased]

Now I'm a grown up I like Martina Cole books, I've just read two by Cecilia Ahern which I couldn't putdown.

I read Lovely Bones although it was good it depressed me.

Being from Liverpool I have read all the Joan Jonker ones, mainly because my Mum gave me them.

Paula

stabard
26-09-2005, 02:34
Slight change of tone here but I have just made a real lemon of myself over my reading on the plane.

Went over to Florida a couple of weeks ago and bought myself Bill Bryson "notes from a Big Country" to read. Great Read and would recommed it to anyone. I enjoyed it so much that I thought I would by another for the return trip and purchased "I am a Stranger Here Myself" from a bookshop in th Oveida Market Place. Got to the airport and settled down to start reading only to find it was the same book I had already read under a different title!![msncry]

I so hate that - why publish the same book under two different titles for the UK and the US!
I did feel a right twit I can tell you [msnsad]

Daglish
27-09-2005, 23:29
Has anybody read any of the Jasper Fforde books about Thursday Next? Have to say a friend gave me the first of these a few weeks ago and I'm now hooked and have raced through the next 3 in double quick time!

emm
28-09-2005, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Daglish
Has anybody read any of the Jasper Fforde books about Thursday Next? Have to say a friend gave me the first of these a few weeks ago and I'm now hooked and have raced through the next 3 in double quick time!
[/quote]

I haven't heard of them. What sort of books are they?

fiona
28-09-2005, 04:33
Jan I just love the Bill Bryson books, have them all apart from the last one about science, brain has not been up to reading that level yet! I have just bought Ewan MacGregor & Charley Boormans book on their motorcycle journey, and am keeping it for our hols!

Anyone seen the new Pride & Prejudice film? Took the gals to see it last weekend, very good - after the reviews was expecting to be disappointed, but we all enjoyed it.

LiesaAnna
28-09-2005, 17:26
Jan I just love the Bill Bryson books, have them all apart from the last one about science, brain has not been up to reading that level yet! I have just bought Ewan MacGregor & Charley Boormans book on their motorcycle journey, and am keeping it for our hols!

Anyone seen the new Pride & Prejudice film? Took the gals to see it last weekend, very good - after the reviews was expecting to be disappointed, but we all enjoyed it.
[/quote]
did you see it on sky Fiona, am sure it was Ewan Mcgreagors journey, it was really good!! bet the book is just as good, you'll have to let us know!

stabard
28-09-2005, 17:37

[/quote]

I have that one Fiona - started reading it but found it a bit heavy going. May have to try it again at a later date.

fiona
28-09-2005, 19:11
Don't have Sky Liesa because I am such a cheapskate I won't pay a fortune so the gals can watch even more rubbish and I have more rows about homework! I may relent once YD has finished her A Levels but it goes against the grain for ax ex-BBC girl to pay any money to Murdoch's mob.

Have just got Always & Forever by Cathy Kelly, about my level at the mo for late night reading, can manage something with a bit more concentrating while on hols, although do still have the latest Joanne Trollope to finish!

Cruella DeVilla
28-09-2005, 20:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
Slight change of tone here but I have just made a real lemon of myself over my reading on the plane.

Went over to Florida a couple of weeks ago and bought myself Bill Bryson "notes from a Big Country" to read. Great Read and would recommed it to anyone. I enjoyed it so much that I thought I would by another for the return trip and purchased "I am a Stranger Here Myself" from a bookshop in th Oveida Market Place. Got to the airport and settled down to start reading only to find it was the same book I had already read under a different title!![msncry]

I so hate that - why publish the same book under two different titles for the UK and the US!
I did feel a right twit I can tell you [msnsad]
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]Oh Jan, hope you can laugh about it now!

stabard
28-09-2005, 21:22
Yep - It does give me a laugh [laugh] and as I left the first copy in the florida house I can still reread it here in the UK now. So I suppose there is an upside to my lapse in concentration :D

Kazzie
28-09-2005, 21:25
Has anybody read The Innocent by Harlan Coben? I am reading it at the moment and finding it really good, although I dont get much chance to read these days and have been reading it since July! When I do eventually finish it I have The Other Woman by Jane Green lined up.

Karen

E. Cosgrove
28-09-2005, 22:54
I have read The innocent, I think Harlan Coben is great, as always watch for the twist in the tail.
I read the other woman when we went to California in the summer, it is a great holiday read.
Jan, I did exactly the same with a Jane Green book. "Spellbound" is published as "To have and to Hold" in the US. Guess who bought them both[msnsad]
I have just finished "Other Women" by Kirsty Crawford it was her first novel and I will be looking out for more stuff by her as I really enjoyed it. Her style of writing is similar to that of Erica James. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
Has anybody read The Innocent by Harlan Coben? I am reading it at the moment and finding it really good, although I dont get much chance to read these days and have been reading it since July! When I do eventually finish it I have The Other Woman by Jane Green lined up.

Karen
[/quote]

emm
29-09-2005, 01:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie

Karen
[/quote]

I've just started reading The Other Woman. I think it's going to be an easy read, but you don't always want something taxing do you?

Daglish
29-09-2005, 02:35
The Jasper Fforde books are very difficult to describe! Thursday Next is a 'litery detective' in an 'alternative' 1985. She has the ability to read herself into books - for example in the first novel she ends up in Jane Eyre (Hence the title The Eyre Affair) and helps Mr Rochester achieve a 'happy' ending. In other books she meets Miss Havisham from Great Expectations, Heathcliffe from Wuthering Heights and Hamlet.

Her 1985 is very different from ours: We are still involved in the Crimean War, Russia still has a Tsar and instead of planes everybody still uses airships.

The books are very surreal and you really just have to 'go with the flow' and enjoy them for what they are. Very strange but very funny -I think it was the Independent newspapers that called them 'silly books for smart people'.

If you give them a go I'm sure you'll be hooked as well!

Kazzie
29-09-2005, 03:06
Yes I totally agree Emm, sometimes it is just nice to read something really easy. I might even get to finish The Other Woman in a week instead of 3 months![:O]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie

Karen
[/quote]

I've just started reading The Other Woman. I think it's going to be an easy read, but you don't always want something taxing do you?
[/quote]

emm
29-09-2005, 03:39
Tracy, these Jasper Fforde books sound interesting. I'll have to keep a look out for them.

Ray&Sarah
29-09-2005, 03:48
Don't have Sky Liesa because I am such a cheapskate I won't pay a fortune so the gals can watch even more rubbish and I have more rows about homework! I may relent once YD has finished her A Levels but it goes against the grain for ax ex-BBC girl to pay any money to Murdoch's mob.

Have just got Always & Forever by Cathy Kelly, about my level at the mo for late night reading, can manage something with a bit more concentrating while on hols, although do still have the latest Joanne Trollope to finish!
[/quote]

Just read two Cathy Kelly books on the trot, nice easy read not too taxing, needed something a little lighter after THe Time Travellers Wife.[msnsmile2]

Kazzie
29-09-2005, 04:08
I didnt quite manage The Time Travellers Wife, wasnt in the right frame of mind so will try again after The Other Woman. I would probably read a lot faster if I could travel back in time to before being a villa owner! No time for much these days[|)]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

[/quote]

Just read two Cathy Kelly books on the trot, nice easy read not too taxing, needed something a little lighter after THe Time Travellers Wife.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

thornton
30-09-2005, 13:17
Have only just found this thread and as I am looking around for new authors to try it has given me some ideas. I like autobiographies or biogrphies, have just finished reading Sheila Hancock's book about life with John Thaw, very good. Has anyone tried the Patrick O'Brian books. Brian thinks they are marvellous he went out and got the whole series and read the lot - 17 in all - it took him about 4 years but as he only normally reads on holiday that was quite an achievement for him as the books took precedent over sailing magazines.

Jill

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 18:53
What is everyone reading two years on?

Genie
15-08-2007, 19:04
Just got another two Bill Bryson's off ebay and also the Gordon Ramsay autobiography !! different I know !

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 19:05
Humble Pie is excellent Jean it explains a lot[msnsmile2]

Genie
15-08-2007, 19:09
Yes I am looking forward to reading it, also got Sharon Osbornes autobiograpghy and the Meatloaf one - To hell and back ! ( just where I've been the last few months I thought I might be able to compare !!! LOL)

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 19:16
Would not mind the Meatloaf book but I can't stand Sharon Ousbourne.

You may have been to hell and back but you are out the other side:D

caroline
15-08-2007, 20:14
I've read the Sharon Osbourne one - it's quite an eye opener and the language is colourful, as for some of the stunts she has pulled over the years - YUK!

Michael Crafords autobiography came out a few years ago but was a brilliant read as was Des O'Connors[msneek] not one I thought I would enjoy but I couldn't have been more wrong.
Another good one was Anne Robinson's.

I also read a fab book that I found in the villa we rented on the coast it was called Daniels isn't talking - and was about a mothers struggle with her autistic son and how it affected the whole family - excellent read.

Also read the last Harry Potter (was balling my eyes out in certain parts and laughing out loud in others)

Genie
15-08-2007, 20:24
Would not mind the Meatloaf book but I can't stand Sharon Ousbourne.

You may have been to hell and back but you are out the other side:D
[/quote]

No not terribly fond of Sharon myself but needed to stock the books up and thought it might be worth a read I can always leave it in FL next time ........ and yes I am nearly out the other side probably still a bit of mud slinging to go yet but I am getting there ! just waiting for a little more Karma !
Quite fancy the Ann Robinson one as well !

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 20:27
Karma, ah Jean yes what goes around comes around, great believer in that myself.:D

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 20:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
I've read the Sharon Osbourne one - it's quite an eye opener and the language is colourful, as for some of the stunts she has pulled over the years - YUK!

Michael Crafords autobiography came out a few years ago but was a brilliant read as was Des O'Connors[msneek] not one I thought I would enjoy but I couldn't have been more wrong.

[/quote]

I think Des is quite funny and he is what 70 odd now.

Just finished The Take by Martina Cole, that was ok as was the Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver. Just about to start a James Patterson Murder Club when I find it, The 5th Horseman I think it's called.

I must stock up on the latest when I get to Fl next month, something else that is cheaper in FL the latest novels and before we normally get them to;).

Paula D-S
15-08-2007, 20:55
As I have just spent two weeks relaxing in Majorca I have just read Faceless by Martina Cole, a brilliant read which I couldn't put down. A Place called Here by Cecilia Ahern, just about readable and nowhere near as good as P.S. I Love You. Second Wifes Club by Anne Moore, an OK summer read and The Half Blood Prince by JK.........it's amazing what you can get through without the computer nearby.[msnwink]

Now reading The Deathly Hollows.

rosie
15-08-2007, 21:06

[/quote]

I think Des is quite funny and he is what 70 odd now.

Just finished The Take by Martina Cole, that was ok as was the Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver. Just about to start a James Patterson Murder Club when I find it, The 5th Horseman I think it's called.

I must stock up on the latest when I get to Fl next month, something else that is cheaper in FL the latest novels and before we normally get them to;).

[/quote]

I agree that Cold Moon wasn't the best Lincoln Rhyme ever, but it was ok. Also just finished the 5th Horseman and 6th Target (next one in the womens murder club set).

I've just started Maximum Ride by James Patterson, it's kind of a follow on from When the Wind Blows and The Lake House, but not having much getting in to it so far.

Also just finished The Quickie by James Patterson (thanks Di). Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would though.

Cruella DeVilla
15-08-2007, 21:30
Without spoiling the Cold Moon I just thought it was too twisty and unbelievable in parts. My favourite JD is the Blue Nowhere.

Oh keep me the 6th Target please please I still have your Mums Honeymoon somewhere. I think his books are getting less can't put down too, I remember the shock at the end of Roses are Red and could not wait to get into Violets are Blue but the last couple I have read have not been that gripping. Had a look at The Quickie, looked kinda predictable but we shall see and the Maximum ride looks worth a read although again you need imagination for those stories. I kinda enjoyed them though. They are fine books for lying by the pool or on the beach[8D]

Got the latest Tess Geretsen somewhere so might take that for the plane. Also a couple of Ben Eltons that Andy raves about, not tried him yet but apparently they are funny. I liked his hunour in Black Adder so I will probably enjoy them.

Stephen Leather is another good author to look out for.

Genie
30-08-2007, 12:32
[/quote]

Yes , agree on this one CDV very good !
Bill Brysons Neither here or there was good too. Now about to start on the Meatloaf To hell and back will report back !
Perhaps we ought to start a paperback swap ??

KarenScott
30-08-2007, 12:59
It's true, a week in Spain, no laptop and read 4 books, although none of them was heavy going, but good holiday reads, Marley and Me by John Grogan - brilliant read for anyone who has ever owned a dog. Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon, a Richard and Judy recommended, enjoyed it:D. Catch me when i fall by Nicci French, I found this quite disturbing about a girl who goes through a nervous breakdown not an ideal light holiday read[msneek] and lastly The Tenko Club by Elizabeth Noble - a good read and brought back memories if you were at Uni earlier 80s. Hopefully I might have got the bug back and will try to continue reading even with my laptop:D must admit haven't yet[msnembarrased]

Cruella DeVilla
30-08-2007, 15:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
[/quote]

Bill Brysons Neither here or there was good too. Now about to start on the Meatloaf To hell and back will report back !
[/quote]

Glad you liked it Jean.

I thought about the swap thing but it's the postage of books and you can pick up some good prices in the likes of Asda.

Cruella DeVilla
30-08-2007, 15:15
Just read another two Martina Cole novels

Mauras Club and Two Woman, both the Eastend of London gritty woman/gangster family etc. Ok for the beach or p;ane I suppose.

Just bought the newest Tess Gerittsen and Fredrick Forsyeth so will let you now what they are like in time. Looking at Sleeping Doll next, you read it yet Rose?

Genie
30-08-2007, 15:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
[/quote]

[/quote]

Glad you liked it Jean.

I thought about the swap thing but it's the postage of books and you can pick up some good prices in the likes of Asda.
[/quote]

The ones I got off ebay were only £3.99 for 2 including postage, one book I bought the woman lived locally so she brought it round and gave me my postage back ! so that one only cost me 99p

mfairhurst
30-08-2007, 17:48
I have just started reading THE HOUSE AT RIVERTOWN and enjoying it very much it also won the best book on RICHARD AND JUDY so looking forward to reading more from them .
I like VIRGINA ANDREW books when she was a live and now someone else is doing them as she left plenty of scrips to gon on with PETALS IN THE WIND WAS GOOD .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Paula D-S
30-08-2007, 19:13
Just finished The Deathly Hallows........fantastic read.

I've only read the last two Harry Potter books and they were brilliant, only sorry I didn't read all the others.

thistle1314
30-08-2007, 19:21
I'm enjoying reading Lynda La Plante novels. I read Bella Mafia on hoiday by the pool and I'm about half way through Royal Flush. Good gripping stuff.

Cruella DeVilla
30-08-2007, 19:32
Oh Helen I read that book years ago and really enjoyed it, still got it somewhere! Royal Flush is good too.

E. Cosgrove
30-08-2007, 22:26
[/quote]

I read the Sharon Osbourne book last year and I must say I thought the title was very apt "Extreme" it seems to have always been flying high or down in the dumps for her, no middle ground, just both extremes of the scale[msneek]

I make no apologies for just having finished Jilly Cooper "Wicked" and I feel almost bereft[msncry] After Riders, Rivals and Polo her books seemed to lack that spark, but in my opinion this is Jilly back to her best:D

fiona
30-08-2007, 23:48
Well as I am enforced rest I am reading alot, but my brain is still awol so only something fairly light. I particularly enjoyed The Pursuit of Happiness by Douglas Kennedy and will now be getting his other novels. This was a beautifully panoramic book set mainly in the 40's and 50's - very evocative of former times. Couldn't quite believe it was written by a man which is very sexist of me! Still I also enjoy Nicholas Evans books too. I also love Bill Bryson books which are hilarious.

Yesterday I read The Hopeless Romantic by Harriet Evans which was everything it says on the cover! Heroine behaves so ditzy you want to knock some sense into her, but all comes right in the end.

Have the new Maeve Binchy lined up next, and when my brain can concentrate enough was halfway through Brick Lane by Monica Ali which is superb so far.

Liz glad to hear Jilly is back to her former glory, I thought her recent stuff has been absolute tosh and have given up reading them never mind buying them, ditto Katie Fforde whose entertaining and funny books I really used to enjoy.

Will be adding Marley and Me to my list from Amazon - can't even go shopping so thank goodness for the net!

canarypam
31-08-2007, 00:39
I'm also reading Getting Rid of Matthew at the moment. I picked it because of the title my son is Matthew and is nearly 30 and still living at home !!!! I keep leaving it on the coffee table but it doesn't seem to have any effect [msnsmile2]. I read Wicked by Jilly Cooper a while ago and agree she is back to her best with this one. I have also got the new Maeve Binchy to take on holiday and also another one can't remember what it's called but it's written by Dorothy Koomson who also wrote My Best Friends Girl which was a great book !

Carla
31-08-2007, 01:32
Recently finished "Lisey's Story" by Steven King. Hard to get into as it seems disjointed and self-indulgent for the first few chapters, but well worth the effort.

Annie Proulx's "The Shipping News" is an excellent read and was a Richard & Judy Bookclub book.

If you're into fantasy then get hold of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" Trilogy - I really loved these books and read them one after the other.

Dean Koontz - "The Good Guy" is out in hardback, so am desperately waiting for it to come out in paperback. Don't you just love Odd Thomas?[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
31-08-2007, 01:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by canarypam
also another one can't remember what it's called but it's written by Dorothy Koomson who also wrote My Best Friends Girl which was a great book !
[/quote]

"Marshmallows for Breakfast" I haven't read it yet but I intend to as I really enjoyed "My Best Friends Girl"

E. Cosgrove
31-08-2007, 01:44
What is everyone reading two years on?
[/quote]
Thanks for resurrecting this thread CDV, lots of great ideas for the future[msnsmile]

Kazzie
31-08-2007, 01:45
Just finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards which I enjoyed but was rather sad. Am now about to start "Our Betty, Scenes from my Life" by Liz Smith (She played the gran in The Royle Family).

Have read quite a few Steven King novels but find that a few of them are a bit disjointed, takes much longer to get to the end as I have to keep looking back to see whats gone on where.

Karen

caroline
31-08-2007, 04:02
I'm so pleased others find Stephen King slightly reader unfriendly - years ago I bought Bag of Bones, I eventually started reading it last summer and keep dipping in and out of it, I've got about 60 pages left to read - I can honestly say that I have NEVER taken so long to read a book[msneek]

emm
31-08-2007, 14:40
Thanks for resurrecting this thread CDV.

Like Liz, I used to really enjoy Jilly Cooper's books - an easy summer read when you didn't want to be too challenged [msnwink], but I thought she had gone off the boil a bit, and so I haven't thought to pick up any of her recent ones. However, maybe when I have got through the pile of books I already have (why do bookshops have this magnetic pull, that means I cannot pass one without going in, and why do they have these piles of gorgeous looking, brand new, shiny books just inside the door tempting me to add to my already large unread collection??) I will think about Jilly Cooper's latest.

I have just been reading some 'chick lit' recently, and enjoyed my first Marian Keyes book, Anybody Out There, and Melissa Nathan's Waitress, but now I am reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. It's been in my pile to read for ages and, with the film coming out soon, I thought I'd like to read the book first.

I agree with Carla about Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy - fantastic.

Cruella DeVilla
31-08-2007, 20:22
Also read the Husband by Dean Koontz on our last Florida trip that was quite good to. Everyone else read a book called something like Ukrainan Tractors and were hee haw and lauhing apparently it is about an old fellow marrying a gold digger? Not braved it yet as I prefer thrillers/crime novels and as girly as I am I don't like girly books generally.

What I really love is a book you can't put down and stay up into the night, it's been a while since I have had a book like that!

I am engrossed in a couple of USA travel books at the minute planning and plotting away.
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/cruella devilla/2007831162230_others-279.gif

emm
31-08-2007, 21:03
I started A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, but didn't finish it - it just didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I can't remember what it was I didn't like about it though, it was a while ago.

E. Cosgrove
31-08-2007, 21:34
Thanks for resurrecting this thread CDV.

Like Liz, I used to really enjoy Jilly Cooper's books - an easy summer read when you didn't want to be too challenged [msnwink], but I thought she had gone off the boil a bit, and so I haven't thought to pick up any of her recent ones. However, maybe when I have got through the pile of books I already have (why do bookshops have this magnetic pull, that means I cannot pass one without going in, and why do they have these piles of gorgeous looking, brand new, shiny books just inside the door tempting me to add to my already large unread collection??) I will think about Jilly Cooper's latest.

I have just been reading some 'chick lit' recently, and enjoyed my first Marian Keyes book, Anybody Out There, and Melissa Nathan's Waitress, but now I am reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. It's been in my pile to read for ages and, with the film coming out soon, I thought I'd like to read the book first.

I agree with Carla about Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy - fantastic.
[/quote]

I haven't read the wiatress Emm, but if you enjoyed it you would probably enjoy " The learning curve", also by the late Melissa Nathan, it's about a teacher!!

emm
31-08-2007, 22:01
Oh, I've read The Learning Curve too, that was good. [msnsmile]

thornton
31-08-2007, 22:12
I started A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, but didn't finish it - it just didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I can't remember what it was I didn't like about it though, it was a while ago.
[/quote]

Emm, I have to agree about this book, I could not see what all the fuss was about. As for being hilarious, I think I smiled at something in it once, but as for laughing, nope.

jimmymac
01-09-2007, 02:45
Whilst last in Florida, I read "half a yellow sun" sorry can't remember the author but a great read about the war between Biafra and Nigeria, told from several different people who you become very attached to.

The other book , my favourite was "The Kite Runner" this has to be the best book I have ever read, a story about to boys in Afghanistan and how their freindship develops. a must read!

James and Wendy

emm
01-09-2007, 14:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jimmymac

The other book , my favourite was "The Kite Runner" this has to be the best book I have ever read, a story about to boys in Afghanistan and how their freindship develops. a must read!

James and Wendy
[/quote]

I quite agree, The Kite Runner is also one of the best books I have ever read. It is quite a powerful story.

MarkJan
01-09-2007, 15:53
Peter Kays book is laugh out loud funny.

dunkderby
31-05-2008, 21:45
Having a lazy afternoon reading some old topics, and found this one interesting, as I love reading. I was wondering what books are you reading at the moment, or is there any you would or would not recommend. I'm currently reading a Nora Roberts trilogy Gallaghers of Ardmore, I also like the shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella, James Patterson, Martina Cole (though some of her books I enjoyed more than others). Does anybody read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, :D. The world according to Jeremy Clarkson are a good read on a long Journey.

Colleen

Cruella DeVilla
01-06-2008, 15:35
Currently reading the Good Guy by Dean Kootz, (read The Husband a while back and thought that was good so bought this one).

Last trip I read a couple of the newer James Patterson, I used to really like him but the last couple haven't been as good I don't think.

Paula D-S
01-06-2008, 16:15
I've just read My Booky Wook by Russell Brand, this guy goes to the extreme on EVERYTHING. The way the book is written he could have been sitting telling me in my living room.

stabard
01-06-2008, 17:12
Over the past couple of years I have been reading my way through the No1 Ladies Detective Agency books ( mainly on flights to florida[msnwink]) Have really enjoyed them all but need something else now that I have read them all.

canarypam
01-06-2008, 20:52
I'm currently reading the Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson. Have a whole stack to read while I am here for 3 weeks [msnsmile2]

berrysmiles
02-06-2008, 01:52
I'm currently re reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Everytime I read them I am transported back to the poolside in Florida because I try to get the newest one for our summer holidays. There's a bit of everything in them,mystery, romance and comedy. The first one I read, I thought was a bit daft at first, but I got hooked

Judy

Paula D-S
10-06-2008, 19:57
I've just finished reading my first book by Jodi Picoult called My Sister's Keeper and thought it was a great read, now looking forward to reading The Pact.

julieanne
10-06-2008, 20:57
I'm currently reading the Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson. Have a whole stack to read while I am here for 3 weeks [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I'm just finshing Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson and the Chocolate Run is waiting for me [msnwink]

canarypam
10-06-2008, 22:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
[/quote]

I'm just finshing Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson and the Chocolate Run is waiting for me [msnwink]
[/quote]

I'm reading The Cupid Effect now [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
11-06-2008, 06:53
Half waythrough the new Martina Cole, it's in the same vein as most of them but it's still quite good.

E. Cosgrove
11-06-2008, 10:57
Just returned from a beach holiday and managed to get through;

The Infidelity Chain Tess Stimson ......an easy read and quite good.

Going Dutch Katie Fforde.........very predictable

Those Faraday Girls Monica McInnery.......a new author for me and I would read more of her stuff.

Faith Lesley Pearse........another easy read but I enjoyed it.

I am finishing Tell it to the skies Erica James and then I will have finished holiday mode and will look for something a little meatier

[msnwink][msnwink]

thornton
12-06-2008, 02:32
I have just read 'Narrow Dog to Carcassone' by Terry Darlington. It is about a couple in their 70s and their whippet dog crossing the English Channel in a canal narrow boat.

fiona
12-06-2008, 07:14
Jill I have that book, it's wonderful, I got quite keen on the idea of doing the same, of course neither of us has every sailed before so somewhat unlikely, but it sounds such a nice way to see the country.

thornton
12-06-2008, 13:00
Fiona, don't try the channel crossing, they admit they were mad and wouldn't do it again. They were extremely lucky to get away with it. We have done part of the Canal du Midi on a yacht and it was great. We would love to gone all the way to the Atlantic but had to come back to work in those days. It is a very relaxing form of travel and the only hard work are the locks.

There is now another one out as they took the boat across the pond and went down the eastern seaboard of the States. I haven't got it yet but keep thinking I must get it off Amazon.

canarypam
12-06-2008, 18:55
The other book I have read while here is The Island by Victoria Hislop - wow what a great book!

E. Cosgrove
06-09-2010, 10:45
Just reviving this thread.[msnoo]

For all fans of the late Sidney Sheldon I have just read "Mistress of the Game" by Tilly Bagshawe, the follow up to Siney Sheldon's "Master of the Game" which his family approached her to write.
I was very sceptical as I am not a big fan of her work and couldn't finish the last book of hers that I bought, but this was really good and I read it in a weekend. I re read " Master of the Game" first so that I would know what was going on (I first read that book more than 20 years ago![msneek]) and although it wasn't really necessary I found it useful and enjoyed it just as much as I did first time[msnsmile]

mfairhurst
06-09-2010, 12:42
If you are building up a libary at your villa we were near Miami and was looking for internet we was not able to use theres but they had a sale on books and very cheap and all was a good read and to leave in the villa ,most libarys have a sale of books .
I have read all Enid Blytons when i was young and love them may start to read them again.
I am reading Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins and cannot put it down ,next i have got Matters of the heart by Danielle Steel to read anyone read this and is it good .
Going to spain at the weekend for one week for my birthday so hope to buy a couple of new ones at the airport .
Anyone read swimsuit by James Patterson .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

caroline
06-09-2010, 12:46
Thanks for the tip Liz, I used to love reading Sidney Sheldon's books on the train when I worked in an office pre the children!! Will logon to Amazon and see if I can buy them both later.

kitch50
06-09-2010, 14:07
Maureen,
Have just read Matters of the Heart by Danielle Steel - a good read - one of her better books although not as good as my favourite The Ring.

another
06-09-2010, 14:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50
Maureen,
Have just read Matters of the Heart by Danielle Steel - a good read - one of her better books although not as good as my favourite The Ring.
[/quote]

My favourite of Danielle Steele's was the ring too - I think it was one of her first books, and it was the first I read. I haven't read Matters of the Heart, but off to Portugal tomorrow for a week so might see if they have copy at the airport :)

I have enjoyed The forbidden Garden and the House at Riverton both by Kate Morton this year. A different style of writing as there are a lot of flashbacks.

canarypam
07-09-2010, 01:23
I am reading a book called Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet at the moment. Prior to that I read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both of
these books are very harrowing but a good read. Also The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson I read this in one day.

Frances the 2 Kate Morton books are in my wish list on Amazon but I have a huge pile to read before I dare order any more .

Liz I feel the same about Tilly Bagshawe although I have recently read Scandalous and it was surprisingly good I thought. Always looking for new authors
so any recommendations would be appreciated.

kitch50
07-09-2010, 02:37
Another trio of books which are a harrowing but really uplifting read are "A Child Called It" "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Called Dave" all by Dave Pelzer. All the more harrowing because they are his life story so far ... a totally inspirational man.

cook22uk
07-09-2010, 03:34
Great thread, just found it! I enjoyed The Island too. I'm currently into books about the history of places I visit whether fact or fiction. Currently reading one about the discovery of New York which is fascinating - 'The Island at the Centre of the World' by Russell Shorto-read like a thriller. One thing is that someone was employed in NY's library to translate hundreds of ancient manuscripts written by Dutch record keepers the results of which have changed the history taught in US schools- it took him over 25 years to do this as there are so few people able to translate the ancient language.

Another was a novel about a Florida cracker family saga I bought in a Fl museum, real tear jerker as well as great insight into the hardships of the cattle drovers and the native American Indian families of Florida. Sitting by a pool,on the beach or in our lovely villa reading of the blood sweat and tears - long before aircon and theme parks really brought it home how lucky we are to live in the age that we do. Given this one to parents but will also post details if anyone interested.

sundowner
07-09-2010, 16:30
I am a big Jodi Picoult fan and have read all of her books. I have quite a library of them at the villa and have enjoyed reading a couple of them twice. I like her style of writing and she writes almost as though they were true stories.

Lyn
08-09-2010, 23:00
Used to love Danielle Steel but now love crime thrillers, Lisa Gardner,Tess Gerritson & Peter Robinson are among my favourite authers at the moment.