PDA

View Full Version : driving to fort Lauderdale

minty
22-03-2005, 01:16
this is my first time i have driven abroad and i would like to visit a friend in fort Lauderdale. i am stopping in orlando and would like to no how far and how long it will take me to get there. also any advice about which routes to use. [msnscared]

pepsi
22-03-2005, 01:22
We have travelled to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando a couple of times. We used the Florida Turnpike. I think it took us about 2 and a half to three hours but we did stop for refreshments on the way.

minty
22-03-2005, 01:27
cheers pepsi, what was the driving like??? sorry but as you might guess, ime a little nervy about driving in america.ps. what is the florida turnpike?

greenpete
22-03-2005, 01:39
Hi Minty, Yes we do this trip regularly when we are there as we love the intercoastal waterway in Ft. Lauderdale. The drive is really very easy if you take the Florida Turnpike (which a toll motorway.) It tends to have less traffic and is a very straight run with few exits. (Toll charges approx $13). You can get to it by following the 192 East, take the turnpike south joining at junction 242. You can pretty much cruise at 70mph all the way, and it will probably take you about 4hours with a short break. There are plenty of 'service stations' along the way. The service stations sit in the centre of the carriageways and the same building serves both north and south, so make sure you rejoin the correct direction.

Anna

minty
22-03-2005, 01:54
thx anna, your reply as reasured me no end. beginning to look forward to driving now.
ps. you wont believe this, but i run a courier company in brum. you would'nt think someone like me would be so worried about driving.

adh619
22-03-2005, 02:00
dm me for a web site that will give you a route

greenpete
22-03-2005, 02:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by minty
thx anna, your reply as reasured me no end. beginning to look forward to driving now.
ps. you wont believe this, but i run a courier company in brum. you would'nt think someone like me would be so worried about driving.
[/quote]

I've only every driven in'Brum' once,[msnscared]Give me Florida anytime[laugh]

Anna

tezz7628
22-03-2005, 02:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by minty
ps. you wont believe this, but i run a <span style="color:red">courier company</span id="red"> in brum. you would'nt think someone like me would be so worried about driving.
[/quote]

i know somebody that runs a haulage company that didnt like driving in florida, so your not on your own :)

chunkichik
22-03-2005, 02:52
My husband drives for a haulage company and would drive in Florida anytime given the chance!! I am going to do some driving this time, so keep off the roads between 26th oct til 9th Nov[msnwink]

CarolAnn
22-03-2005, 12:08
Hi Minty,

We drove down to FORT LAUDERDALE last Easter from our place on Highway 27, and it couldn't have been easier, and interesting too!! There was barely any traffic, and the 27 took us straight there!! The journey time was around 4+ but plenty of places to stop and sites to see, a very nice run, we found the driving so pleasant :)

Frosty
22-03-2005, 15:34
CarolAnn.

Do i take it from your post, you drove all the way on the 27 ?

I have driven down the turnpike many times, and i wondered myself what it would be like to do the 27 for a change. If thats the way you went, are there lots of traffic lights etc along the way, or does it get more open once you get away from polk?

Neil

minty
22-03-2005, 23:19
thx to all that replied. looking forward to the drive with renewed confidence.

cheers everyone, rich........[msnsmile2]

ringwood1
23-03-2005, 20:39
We came back in February and drove up the 27 from Fort Lauderdale and stopped off at Lake Ochechobee (sorry I know this is spelt wrong but I am sure you all know what I mean). It was a fantastic picnic area and you were right next to the water, wonderful. Anyway I digress, we drove back again down the turn pike and I have to say it was only slightly quicker and not half as nice as driving through the country side and cost us about $15 is I remember right. Fiona