PDA

View Full Version : choosing a community?

zazu
21-03-2005, 00:07
Hi

Starting to look at villas for our next trip, and there are so many beautiful homes its going to be hard to choose.

I just wondered about choosing a community. I like the idea of being in one of the splendid china subdivisions for easy access to parks, but on the other hand some of the further away areas such as highlands reserve and thousand oaks look gorgeous and the surroundings are much more picturesque, and you seem to get a lot more villa for your money, and conservation, lake views seem more redily availble.

Bearing in mind we wont be doing full park days due to two toddlers would you say we would be better off in a closer community so we can nip back for rests etc, or better off a little further away and have a larger villa with more facilities.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Genie
21-03-2005, 00:36
Even the comunities that look a bit farther off really aren't , the roads are so easy and you are there before you know it. We are about 12 / 15 minutes away from Disney but when you think how long it takes to get anywhere in the UK that's nothing, then you are away from the hussle and bustle for your relaxing time.

KarenScott
21-03-2005, 00:46
Suzanne
I would pick a property first and ensure that it provides a great base for you and your family and then look at the area it was in. Last year, before we bought ours, that is exactly what we did, home first and then looked at the area, and we didn't go wrong at all.[msnwink]

chrizzy100
21-03-2005, 01:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marthas Harbour
Suzanne
I would pick a property first and ensure that it provides a great base for you and your family and then look at the area it was in. Last year, before we bought ours, that is exactly what we did, home first and then looked at the area, and we didn't go wrong at all.[msnwink]
[/quote]

You really do have a lovely home........[msnsmile2]

Carla
21-03-2005, 01:55
Suzanne, you mentioned Thousand Oaks, and I know a fair bit about that area.[msnsmile2]

It's 9 miles from Thousand Oaks to Disney Main Gate. Just one set of traffic lights between you and Disney. It takes me around 10 minutes to drive from my front door to Main Gate. It's a lovely peaceful area, teeming with a wide variety of wildlife and with a huge natural lake surrounded by beautiful conservation. Whatever time of year you visit, there's always plenty of natural fauna and flora, for you to see. It's also very easy, after a morning at a Theme Park, to nip back to a villa on Thousand Oaks, and relax on the deck, or swim in the pool, or play inside where it's cool or let the kids have a nap if they need it, and then return to the Theme Park for the evening's entertainment.

All of the developments that you mentioned are lovely, with their own charms. Wherever you choose have a wonderful vacation.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

zazu
21-03-2005, 02:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Suzanne, you mentioned Thousand Oaks, and I know a fair bit about that area.[msnsmile2]

It's 9 miles from Thousand Oaks to Disney Main Gate. Just one set of traffic lights between you and Disney. It takes me around 10 minutes to drive from my front door to Main Gate. It's a lovely peaceful area, teeming with a wide variety of wildlife and with a huge natural lake surrounded by beautiful conservation. Whatever time of year you visit, there's always plenty of natural fauna and flora, for you to see. It's also very easy, after a morning at a Theme Park, to nip back to a villa on Thousand Oaks, and relax on the deck, or swim in the pool, or play inside where it's cool or let the kids have a nap if they need it, and then return to the Theme Park for the evening's entertainment.

All of the developments that you mentioned are lovely, with their own charms. Wherever you choose have a wonderful vacation.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

It is actually your villa on Thousand oaks that i have found Carla[msnsmile2]

Suzanne

zazu
21-03-2005, 02:09
Thanks everyone

As i haven't been to Florida for such a long time, and the last time i went i was only little, im unsure of the distances and locations of everywhere. All i hear are people debating over various communities, some say the HWY 27 is too far, some people think it is ideal. I guess its up to individual preferences.

We are stopping onsite in September so i intend to have a drive around the areas which will hopefully give us a better idea where we want to stay.

Suzanne

Carla
21-03-2005, 02:40
Great. Thanks. I didn't know that Suzanne or I wouldn't have posted and would have left this for someone else on Thousand Oaks to answer!! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Have a great trip.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

gromit
21-03-2005, 02:41
I think you are best to find a villa first that has all the facilities that you need and especially with toddlers. Are toddler items included free etc. Then look at where that villa is, is it on a resort or in a natural lake area etc? As Carla has said, all of the villas and locations are nice, they just all have different things to offer with their own charms and personality. You will have a great time wherever the villa is you stay in. Have a great vacation.

Ruth
21-03-2005, 03:42
You are correct that Highlands Reserve is a wonderful community too Suzanne. I just love the view of the course from our villa, and it a very spacious community, with excellent facilities and a perfect location (but then I guess I am slightly biased;)):)

Cruella DeVilla
21-03-2005, 06:59
We are also on the CR54 at the new sub division of Windwood Bay. There are a few sub divisions along there and as Carla says it is a really great area. PGA Golf course(Championsgate), bank (going up as we speak), gas station, McDonalds, Subway, Chinese, Pizza place,Publix, WalGreens to mention a few. These are 2 minutes away. A couple of miles further on you are in the real Florida to, so you can have the best of both worlds. We love the area so much.

Jo
21-03-2005, 20:13
And if Carla hadn't answered, I would have done!I'll add my bit anyway.[msnwink]

Even with older children we often break our day at the park by coming home for a swim. The children have the stamina but I don't. So sad at 40! We like Thousand Oaks as it is so peaceful and a contast from the hussle and bustle of the park.

It's got very easy aceess to Disney - even though it may look further out, it really isn't timewise.

Did you know you can get into disney from Thousand Oaks and only encounter 1 set of traffic lights?[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
21-03-2005, 20:39
Another thing that may be worth while considering, is driving times to a particular place.
As an example, you could live in London, but actually take longer to get to a certain point in London based on the route available to you:)The same is true of anywhere!
We are based on the H27 and on checking our driving times still find under 15 mins to Disney maingate to be realistic. Staying on site at Disney/Universal does of course put you in the thick of the attractions, at a price.

chrizzy100
21-03-2005, 22:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zazu
Hi

Starting to look at villas for our next trip, and there are so many beautiful homes its going to be hard to choose.

I just wondered about choosing a community. I like the idea of being in one of the splendid china subdivisions for easy access to parks, but on the other hand some of the further away areas such as highlands reserve and thousand oaks look gorgeous and the surroundings are much more picturesque, and you seem to get a lot more villa for your money, and conservation, lake views seem more redily availble.

Bearing in mind we wont be doing full park days due to two toddlers would you say we would be better off in a closer community so we can nip back for rests etc, or better off a little further away and have a larger villa with more facilities.

Many thanks

Suzanne
[/quote]

I would have to go for the look of the home everytime......if an owner has put a lot of care and love into the home I would not worry if it had a club house....or tennis courts etc......or how near it was to anywhere for that matter.....

gromit
22-03-2005, 01:37
I think that is so true Chrizzy, and if a guest goes into a home that looks well kept and loved they too will have respect and take care over it and be more likely to recommend it to other people. So I would put finding the villa first.....

Calamity Jane
25-03-2005, 08:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
Another thing that may be worth while considering, is driving times to a particular place.
As an example, you could live in London, but actually take longer to get to a certain point in London based on the route available to you:)The same is true of anywhere!
We are based on the H27 and on checking our driving times still find under 15 mins to Disney maingate to be realistic. Staying on site at Disney/Universal does of course put you in the thick of the attractions, at a price.
[/quote]

You're right CarolAnn..It really doesn't matter where you are because you still have to drive to your destination, everyone has this fixation about being within the magical 15 minutes of Disney ( which in all fairness we say this as well) but if the traffic is busy and you are over there for the first time, it can take a little bit longer than anticipated, most people set off to the parks first thing in the morning when they go to Fl, they generally hit the early morning traffic and it can take a while to reach Disney.

Instead of being concerned about how long it takes to get to Disney ( because you will do most, if not all, of the parks and it takes you longer to get to these) stick with choosing your villa .

Thousand Oaks and Highlands Reserve are beautiful developments as are lots of others, I really wouldn't put too much emphasis on distance at this point as villa choice is much more important.:)

heathercobbett
25-03-2005, 13:56
This is our tried and tested method

Write a wish list
Apply to all 3 OV sites
Narrow down to 3/4 villas (this will be an instinctive reaction)
Phone the owners and choose the one you are comfortable with

Karen is right,20 minutes (or under is a reasonable Disney distance.We have stayed further out and that is a bore

Particularly if you are lookig at peak periods,do this as soon as possible

Mo Guest
26-03-2005, 16:43
Hi there,

You can't get a more picturesque community than Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club Estate. Never mind keeping the kids happy, if hubby is happy and can keep topped up with playing golf then I bet everyone is happy!!

The community here is lovely, it's a very tranquil and peaceful place after the hussle and fast pace of the parks. We love to return to our villa and unwind in the peace and quiet that the golf course aspect of our villa offers.

Southern Dunes has all the facilities you may require right next to it, there is a huge Walmart store, banks, petrol stations and places to eat - it's lovely.

The comments above about the distance to Disney are right - it doesn't really matter - what matters is you are there and will enjoy the experience of being in Florida.

Regards, Mo

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-03-2005, 19:01
Can I just remind owners that this is not the place to over-sell their community. By all means mention it but this is not an advertising forum [msnwink]