PDA

View Full Version : Is MP3 the way forward?

domster
19-03-2005, 20:35
Hi,

Being a Gadgetaholic I now have the new IPOD Photo. How many people have this new type of tech gadget and take it on holiday with them.

Snapper
19-03-2005, 23:06
I sometimes like to think about what the future might hold Domster. In terms of music I think mp3s are going to be only a stepping stone, along with all the other compressed formats. Eventually storage will become so cheap that there will be no need for any compression, no matter how pseudo-lossless it is. Bring on SA-CD and the other higher resolution formats is what I say.

LiesaAnna
19-03-2005, 23:23
was a bit worried about voting for this one! but see we are in the majority at the moment!!

Magical Dreams
20-03-2005, 00:00
Technology holds back for no one!

Mp3's will be on their way out soon when someone comes up with a much better format!

I also love gadgets, but priorities change as you get a little older.

Prefer the Archos range!

Ray&Sarah
20-03-2005, 00:15
Just bought Ray a Packard Bell Audio Dream Mp3 for his birthday, he is a gadgets person, will be very handy for listening to with all the travelling that he does.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
20-03-2005, 00:20
i am soooooo ignorant!! i wouldnt know what to do with one if it fell on me head!!
all these kids of mine know about all these things, but i coudnt tell you a single thing about them!

Ray&Sarah
20-03-2005, 00:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i am soooooo ignorant!! i wouldnt know what to do with one if it fell on me head!!
all these kids of mine know about all these things, but i coudnt tell you a single thing about them!
[/quote]

I know that feeling Liesa but I do know how to use the MP3 players now as my sons have one and I have watched them down loading songs etc. quite interesting.[msnsmile]

chunkichik
20-03-2005, 03:23
My son is saving for one, but for him will be invaluable!! he is only 10 but loves all types of music and singing!! He's been telling me for years he's gonna be a pop star, bless him!!

I was interested to learn that you can also download talking books, which would interest me on long flights to Florida, I find it hard to concentrate on a proper book on the plane, there is so much noise, people slamming their seat in your face etc. and the headphones you get with Virgin are pretty useless, you can still hear everything else that is going on!!! I have heard about the IPOD photo, but not looked into it.

LiesaAnna
20-03-2005, 12:53
well Anita, again have learnt something new!! i didnt know you could get talking books downloaded on it! i too cannot concentrate on reading when on a plane, so any info welcome now please!!!!

20-03-2005, 15:14
We have 7 ipods in our house![msnembarrased]

We all have one and my little one has the original ipod and its still going strong!!![clap]

I bought an album of itunes recently for £7.99 so you can go wrong in my view, even use it in my car!

brizzle
20-03-2005, 15:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

We all have one and my little one has the original ipod and its still going strong!!![clap]

I bought an album of itunes recently for £7.99 so you can go wrong in my view, even use it in my car!
[/quote]

I don't think I'll buy the albums until they drop another couple of pound.
I can buy the album for that price, or cheaper, import into iTunes and then have a hard copy for the master.

MP3, or more specifically digital format music, is defintely the way foward and is (has?) already taking over.
Just as long as they make the future players backward compatible then they have more longevity than the old tape/lp/cd systems.

You can't put a CD on a turntable but you could in future play the then outdated MP3, AAC and future formats on the same device.

As for better file formats, they are already out there (AAC for example is better than MP3 and both play on the iPod) but MP3 is the choice of the masses therefore the most used format. There is also an Ogg Vobis format that a lot of people swear by.

Brizzle.

20-03-2005, 15:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle

[/quote]

I don't think I'll buy the albums until they drop another couple of pound.
I can buy the album for that price, or cheaper, import into iTunes and then have a hard copy for the master.

MP3, or more specifically digital format music, is defintely the way foward and is (has?) already taking over.
Just as long as they make the future players backward compatible then they have more longevity than the old tape/lp/cd systems.

You can't put a CD on a turntable but you could in future play the then outdated MP3, AAC and future formats on the same device.

As for better file formats, they are already out there (AAC for example is better than MP3 and both play on the iPod) but MP3 is the choice of the masses therefore the most used format. There is also an Ogg Vobis format that a lot of people swear by.

Brizzle.
[/quote]

Really cheaper than £7.99? Where from? I downloaded mine onto a CD so I also have a hard copy! Even download the CD sleeve so you can't tell its not a shop bought one LOL!!

brizzle
20-03-2005, 16:38
Maybe not, I thought CDWow did them for £5.99, having checked they don't so you win.. [msnembarrased]

£8 still seems a bit too much since the majority of the distribution chain and *all* of the packaging does not have to be accounted for.
Don't know why but I just have a feeling they should be cheaper.

The iTunes price for a single song should definitely be in line with Europe and the US.

Snapper
20-03-2005, 17:52
I'm still a bit fed up that Napster (in it's new guise) won't yet sync with an iPod. Napster's product gives you access to their whole music catalog (millions of tracks) for a fixed monthly fee of $15. You can download as much, or as little, as you like and sync it to your mp3 player. So you can fill, and re-fill, and re-fill your mp3 player for the fixed monthly fee. You can't export the tracks out of the Napster client (well, not without a lot of faffing) but why would you want to? Every time you want a new track or album you just download it. When you don't want to listen to it anymore you delete it. If you want it again you download it again.

Napster's current answer to this problem is not to buy an iPod, buy a different mp3 player instead. Not a great approach from the company which revolutionised electronic music is it?

20-03-2005, 17:58
The iTunes price for a single song should definitely be in line with Europe and the US.

Oh I have to agree with you there! Then again all the Apple products should be as cheep as the US plus shipping costs of course[msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-03-2005, 19:38
I get my music from the US iTunes store using my villa US bank account [msnsmile2]

Oh I have to agree with you there! Then again all the Apple products should be as cheep as the US plus shipping costs of course[msnwink]
[/quote]

florida4sun
20-03-2005, 20:22
I have archos Jukebix and its the biggest pile of c### I have evber bought:( do they have something better now?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Magical Dreams
Technology holds back for no one!

Mp3's will be on their way out soon when someone comes up with a much better format!

I also love gadgets, but priorities change as you get a little older.

Prefer the Archos range!
[/quote]

jolliffee
20-03-2005, 21:54
Still using my Net MD Walkman, then again I still play records too. Number one daughter has the iPod photo nice but not for me yet.

chunkichik
21-03-2005, 04:07
I downloaded the 14 day free trial of Napster today, but not having an IPOD yet, went for the £9.95 a month version where each track is 79p or albums £6.95-7.95.

My laptop has an MP3 media button on the front of it, but don't have a clue how to work it[msnembarrased]

I really need to do some research!! John could I use US i-tunes if I pay with my paypal account?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-03-2005, 05:55
Only if you setup on Paypal with a US address .... the iTunes store was very strict and would nto accept any of my UK cards or my Paypal account. I get songs at 99c per song or if you buy a whole album you get a discount (i.e. not number of songs * 99c). It's great.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik
John could I use US i-tunes if I pay with my paypal account?
[/quote]

chunkichik
21-03-2005, 15:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Only if you setup on Paypal with a US address .... the iTunes store was very strict and would nto accept any of my UK cards or my Paypal account. I get songs at 99c per song or if you buy a whole album you get a discount (i.e. not number of songs * 99c). It's great.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik
John could I use US i-tunes if I pay with my paypal account?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks John[msnsmile2] Oh well, looks like I have a good excuse to buy a villa after all[msnwink]

ringwood1
23-03-2005, 20:49
I got an MP3 for Christmas and up until then had no idea what it was. Now I love it and take it with me when I go to the gym, have to admit I am not too good at loading it etc, but I have a husband who is.

brizzle
27-03-2005, 13:10
Maybe not, I thought CDWow did them for £5.99, having checked they don't so you win.. [msnembarrased]

£8 still seems a bit too much since the majority of the distribution chain and *all* of the packaging does not have to be accounted for.

[/quote]

Replying to myself, how sad.
Anyway I was looking at 2 and 3 CD sets.
The normal CDs are £8.75 so for an extra 26p over iTunes I get a master copy from CDWow and rip to the ipod.
Not as instant as iTunes I admit but something a bit more tangible.

Brizzle.

27-03-2005, 15:48

[/quote]

Replying to myself, how sad.
Anyway I was looking at 2 and 3 CD sets.
The normal CDs are £8.75 so for an extra 26p over iTunes I get a master copy from CDWow and rip to the ipod.
Not as instant as iTunes I admit but something a bit more tangible.

Brizzle.
[/quote]

Sounds good if it works for you! [msnwink]

domster
01-04-2005, 21:09
I also tend to like to have an original copy to download, this way you can burn at a better bit rate.

DOM

fraser
09-06-2005, 21:45
I just got an MP4 player, that’s the future; you can record your favourite TV programmes and DVD on it and watch them on the plane. I have one with a 20 gig hard drive and it holds around 17 hours of TV and around 1,500 songs. It has a changeable battery that lasts 4 hours. Perfect for passing the time away on a long flight.

domster
10-06-2005, 01:12
I don't know if they will catch on like MP3. we shall have to see. the memory would fill up fast with some of the films.

flyrr100
20-06-2005, 06:35
I replaced the Ford CD player in my Mustang with an after market Pioneer CD/MP3 player. I can burn up to six albums on one disk!
Now I also have my iPod hardwired into the system. So I have my entire music collection, well almost, in my car!
So, yes, MP3's are the future.

fraser
23-06-2005, 23:46
Hard disk space with the MP4 is not a problem, as you can get 100 gig ones, I also store things I have seen on DVD.

domster
26-06-2005, 23:01
I can't even fill my 30gb IPOD, let alone 100gb.