PDA

View Full Version : Beaches close to Orlando

mayoctk
15-02-2003, 04:12
Hi, Going to Orlando first week of March, staying at Crescent Lakes. Where are the closest, best beaches for kids? Thanks for any information![8D]

chris
15-02-2003, 13:04
Depends what you want and the age of the kids. I've been to Clearwater (1 and a half hours drive) and my boys (aged 9 and 14) have been to Cocoa Beach with their father (1 hour drive). I just asked which they preferred and they dont know!
Clearwater had white sandy beaches. We went for one night and packed our day out. We went on a tug boat around the bay for a dolphin watch. The advantage of the tug compared to some of the other trips on offer, is that you are low down in the water so the dolphins are literally a foot away from you.
My daughter (aged 10 at the time) and I went for a paraglide around the bay. The man in charge was a bit of a big-headed American. He was dunking people in the water and before I got in the thing I said to him please do not dunk me (I did not have my swimsuit on and was in the only clothes I'd brought for our days beach trip.)Of course he did[}:)]:(, I was furious, I almost demanded my money back but didn't feel I could as apart from that I'd really enjoyed it!

The boys went to Cocoa Beach in October, when they had a week in Orlando and I stayed home to look after my daughter who had a broken arm and concussion! They loved Ron Jon's Surf Shop. My eldest son now has what he calls his 'uniform'. Clothes he bought from there which walk off him on their own to jump in the washing machine occasionally![xx(]
They bought a couple of bodyboards and had a great time playing in the surf.
It's really up to you where you go but both coasts are really nice.

esprit
15-02-2003, 14:42
I would say Melbourne is the closest to Crescent Lakes. It is a dead easy journey. Turn onto 192 and head in an easterly direction ( ie opposite direction to Disney) and just keep on going along 192, through St Cloud and straight on. 192 goes all the way to Melbourne Beach. It is a sandy beach with some good surf and would be nice to take a boogie board to. Take quarters as it is all meter parking along the beach front.

PS. Good market in St Cloud on your way through. Saturdays????

blott
15-02-2003, 16:02
Julie, do you mean the Osceola Farmers' Flea Market? If so, it's on the left and it's open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If the kids are interested in snakes, then Reptile World Serpentarium is further down (also on the left) the same road.

bellaepovera
15-02-2003, 23:54
Melbourne and Cocoa are the closes to Cresent lakes and are both very nice and the resturaunts serve the best fish meals around.

phil moloney
16-02-2003, 03:04
I spent 6 days in cocoa last year it was wonderful, the restaurants are terrific, my husband and boys want to go back as you are so close to the space centre, austronaut centre, cocoa town is vey relaxing wee spot.
Phil

orlandobabe
18-02-2003, 16:39
I didn't know that Julie-that the 192 went to Melbourne. How long does it take?
We'll have to give it a try.
I feel that this market you are on about on Saturdays is a different one to the farmer's market on fri/sat/sun is that right?

surferguy
06-08-2003, 20:05
Great forum. Lots of great ideas on here. These bogie boards that have been mentioned. What are they and where would you purchase them? Are they expensive?

blott
06-08-2003, 21:27
Hi Suferguy

Welcome to the forum. With a nickname like that, I thought you would have known that a boogie board is a body surfing board which is broader and shorter than the normal surf board.

Try Ron Jon's shop at http://www.ronjonsurf.com (where they're actually called body boards!) or http://www.malibulongboards.com/boogieman.html

surferguy
06-08-2003, 22:20
Okay, I'll check that out. Surfer (as in NET surfer):)

sammibabe
07-08-2003, 22:08
If you haven't tried a boogie board before it is a real giggle - my children love it. Don't know whether it's worth waiting til you get to the beach to buy one. My children's boogie boards were cheapies that we bought from a beach shop (UK). Didn't see the point in buying anything expensive for them to just play around on.[8D]

phil moloney
08-08-2003, 03:42
The boogie boards are not expensive, beach wave has an offer on the small ones. They also have a skim board great for 9/10 year olds works like a skate board at the edge of the water. It is thinner and more pointed at the ends than the boogie boards.

surferguy
08-08-2003, 09:59
I have an 8 year old and 10 year old. I think they would love this type of thing. The prices at Ron Jon's scared me off. I'll look at some local stores. Phil, where is beach wave located and what type of $$ could I expect to spend for a cheapie. Thanks for your help. We leave for Orlando on August 16th!

Goldland
08-08-2003, 11:52
I am sure you can buy them from Walmart for about $10 - but don't quote me on that! Ron Jons is a very expensive shop! I am definitely going to try out Melbourne beach sounds just up my kids street.

We too are off on the 16th! We're flying from Gatwick with Mytravel may see you at the airport surferguy!

chrisj
08-08-2003, 12:16
Wal mart do them we got some the other week to bring home with us

Chris

phil moloney
09-08-2003, 01:40
T think there is a few of them on Cocoa beach, one accross the road from the Holiday Inn $10/12 approx, certainly cheaper than Ron Jons which has a terrific selection of goods but is a little expensive even with a coupon.

chrizzy100
09-08-2003, 01:49
quote:Originally posted by surferguy

Great forum. Lots of great ideas on here. These bogie boards that have been mentioned. What are they and where would you purchase them? Are they expensive?

Here they are about $6-$10 for a cheap one....I'm sure they'll be the same in a kmart in Orlando......

chrisj
09-08-2003, 02:13
When we went to cocoa beach lats week to park by the Pier was $5, Not bad as we were there
for 7 hours

chrizzy100
09-08-2003, 02:33
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

When we went to cocoa beach lats week to park by the Pier was $5, Not bad as we were there
for 7 hours

Its about $15 a day here.....we pay $15 a year for the local beaches if we buy a sticker......no bad because the beaches are very nice....

chrisj
09-08-2003, 02:39
From memory Brighton is about £4 a day to park and after 6pm its free until 9am, or if you find
the free spots you can park for free