PDA

View Full Version : tornados/hurricains

Solana
16-03-2005, 18:51
dose anyone know if there are any tornadoes ect to hit this year? very scared
solana

Champagne
16-03-2005, 19:03
September is usually the most active month for potential hurricanes but it's something like 64 years since Florida had a hurricane season like last year - so please don't be scared...and perhaps avoid heading out to Florida during September?

More information about this season's severe weather activity will be available nearer the time.

Val
16-03-2005, 19:05
Hi Solana, the best way to check is to logg into some of the Florida weather stations
Val

Solana
16-03-2005, 19:15
thankyou i will try and avoid september then.:)
solana

Ann-Marie
16-03-2005, 19:49
We've been to Florida in September and the weather was wonderful. The queues also were very short. Have been other times during the year as well and would definitely choose September every time.

Like Champagne said, last year's hurricanes were not the norm for Florida.

Hope you have a great time whenever you go.

chrizzy100
16-03-2005, 19:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Solana
dose anyone know if there are any tornadoes ect to hit this year? very scared
solana
[/quote]

Nobody can tell.....it best if you're worried to leave going late Aug and Sept......thats when FL can get hit with bad storms the most....

Cruella DeVilla
16-03-2005, 20:25
My motto is: life is too short to worry about WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN. Pack your suitcase, grab your sunglasses and plan your trip to the lovely Florida!

Ray&Sarah
16-03-2005, 20:39
Last year was very unusual. We are planning to be at our villa for three weeks this August/September so we are banking on some good weather.[msnsmile2]

Solana
16-03-2005, 20:49
hopefully we will be going in the summer , lets hope there is to tornados thanks
solana

djdigitald
16-03-2005, 23:54
I know links are not allowed but this is the official National Hurricaine Center website and it is superb for watchingtropical storms etc... all over the world http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

walden64
17-03-2005, 00:08
Like Ray & Sarah we are going out to our villa in August / September and hopefully we will get good weather.
Last year was very unusual and it has certainly not put off our guests who were out there for one of the hurricaines - they have booked again:D

Michelle

esprit
17-03-2005, 04:30
There is no way of knowing, much too early to tell how the season will pan out this year. As one who lived in Florida through three hurricanes last year, however, I will tell you that they were nowhere near as scary as you may imagine, it doesnt put me off living here permanently so certainly shouldnt put anyone off visiting for a couple of weeks.

ahagan
17-03-2005, 12:15
As already mentioned the hurricanes of last year were unusual. We had guests in at the time and they want to go again at the same time this year because they didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be.

RIS
17-03-2005, 13:24
My Guests during the hurricanes asked if I could ensure another as they said it was "the best ride in Orlando" and "wanted to do it again". [msneek]

But as said above last year was very unusual.

LiesaAnna
17-03-2005, 14:12
bit strange i know, but steve and i would like to have experianced this, not flying through a hurricane but being in the villa, experiencing it with the Americans! sad i know but its different!! (we had one down in the south of England whjere i live in 1987 and it was fun! very sad watching trees that had stood for many many years were down, but the coming together of people that you had never spoken to before! amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

orlandobabe
17-03-2005, 14:51
The first hurricane hit on Aug 13th last year and the last one of the three on Sept 26th.

I'm sure that there are people who have been out in Florida many times during these dates and have had lovely weather.

My friend has also been out in August and again-lovely weather.

I know we went out one year on Sept 20th (9 days after Sept 11th happened)and the weather was lovely-and what's more we weren't a bit worried about more terrorist activity.
There's no guarantees in life-so we may as well live it to the full.

chrizzy100
17-03-2005, 17:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
bit strange i know, but steve and i would like to have experianced this, not flying through a hurricane but being in the villa, experiencing it with the Americans! sad i know but its different!! (we had one down in the south of England whjere i live in 1987 and it was fun! very sad watching trees that had stood for many many years were down, but the coming together of people that you had never spoken to before! amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

We live through 2 hurricanes in the South of England.....we lived right on the bay...and a lot of my neighbours have the sea in their homes both times......we lived in a second floor flat.....so apart from losing a few tiles off the roof.... all our old trees in the garden .....and nearly our car.....we were OK......

In the US the hurricane season has a cycle....this cycle of bad storms started in 1995.....and could carrying on giving bad storms in the south and up the East coast for up to 40 years.....or it could end after 10.....I don't think its worth worrying about ...because you can't do anything to change it....a lot of different things sent so many storms into central FL on near enough the same path last year.......so far 4 major storms are said to hit the USA this year......but they could hit anywhere up the East coast......not just FL......

julieanne
17-03-2005, 17:57
Solana

I've been on holiday in Florida during 4 or 5 hurricanes and it hasn't put me off.
Last year's (Jeanne) was the scariest for me but apart from missing out on some precious sunbathing time it didn't spoil the holiday. Being housebound for 60 odd hours was quite fun but only cos we didn't lose power. So we could eat, drink and watch TV!!!!

I'm sure whatever time of year you visit Florida you will have a wonderful time, please don't let the tiny chance of a storm happening put you off going [8D] [8D]

17-03-2005, 18:04
Solana,

I was out there last year for Hurricane Charley and once you have been through it you lose your fear!

I would say just go for it and don't think about what ifs. We have been going since 1983 and it was the first hurricane we ever went through.[msnwink]

janwebb
17-03-2005, 18:32
We are also going back end of August/beginning of September and after last years hurricanes were pretty worried about booking those dates. In the end, the holiday won!!!

2003 we were there first 2 weeks in september and the weather was fantastic [msncool] - lets hope 2004 was an exceptional year

CarolAnn
17-03-2005, 19:01
My BIL was staying at our villa when the last Hurricane hit in September 2004 and we had guest in for the whole month of August 2004! I know our community faired extremely well compared to some, but that aside, it did not put either of our guests off at all! Too be honest, they seem to find it a little exciting. An unusually active year for hurricanes, please don't let it stop you enjoying a wonderful holiday destination:)All year round!!

Solana
17-03-2005, 19:55
thankyou everyone , that has made me feel a lot better!![V]=:D
missing florida too much!![msncry]
solana

daxon
17-03-2005, 20:51
We were out at our villas last year during the hurricanes too! Children were a bit fed up as they watched the hype on the tv before they came & when we'd been through them they declared them "boring"! Best bit was having our flight home delayed so we had to stay another week!!![msnsmile2]

Frosty
21-03-2005, 13:48
I think i should point out its not just August / September time you need to worry about.
I have just come back after a week out there 10th to 17th.
On TV there was a place near Tampa that had a storm which featured a "Microburst" this is where a strong wind loaded with water leads the storm front, it brought down large treesetc just like a Hurricane, the only difference was it was more local and only a small area was affected.
Then the next day there was a thunderstorm passing through Polk County and a Tornado watch was in force for 4 hours.

What i'm trying to say is, "you pays your money and takes yer chances". Its a tropical enviroment out there, most of the time with glorious sun, but it can change and do weird things any time of the year.

Neil

LiesaAnna
21-03-2005, 14:17
but we know in advance so we takes our chances, and we know the likely hood of having one! is low!!!
i will take any weather as long as i can be in florida!!!![clap]

chrizzy100
21-03-2005, 17:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
I think i should point out its not just August / September time you need to worry about.
I have just come back after a week out there 10th to 17th.
On TV there was a place near Tampa that had a storm which featured a "Microburst" this is where a strong wind loaded with water leads the storm front, it brought down large treesetc just like a Hurricane, the only difference was it was more local and only a small area was affected.
Then the next day there was a thunderstorm passing through Polk County and a Tornado watch was in force for 4 hours.

What i'm trying to say is, "you pays your money and takes yer chances". Its a tropical enviroment out there, most of the time with glorious sun, but it can change and do weird things any time of the year.

Regards,

Neil
[/quote]

Tornados are more of a problem than a Hurricane ......because they don't just hit in Hurricane season...but then one of my family members lost a home to a Tornado in the South of England ..and my Cape home lost its roof to one years ago.....its something to be aware of but not worry about when away....

Snapper
21-03-2005, 17:56
My guests who were in the villa last year during one of the hurricanes were totall non-plussed by the whole event. In their words, they got quite fed-up of all the hype (as they described it) and their biggest worry was how soon they could get back out at the side of the pool. In their opinion they've seen worse storms in the UK. They've booked again for next year so they don't seem too worried.

chrizzy100
21-03-2005, 18:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
My guests who were in the villa last year during one of the hurricanes were totall non-plussed by the whole event. In their words, they got quite fed-up of all the hype (as they described it) and their biggest worry was how soon they could get back out at the side of the pool. In their opinion they've seen worse storms in the UK. They've booked again for next year so they don't seem too worried.
[/quote]

Do they live out on an oil rig off the coast of Scotland.......[msnscared][msnscared]

When you drive around to the coasts I don't think you can say it was hyped in any way.....if a house is built to take a storm like a lot of newer homes are and all of the new home should be.....you should feel safe inside to a point...but I've lived on the South coast of the UK near or right on the sea a lot of my life.....and never had I seen anything like the storms they have in the USA.....I don't think people need to worry that much about being in FL when a storm hits if they DON'T take it lighly and watch the news and follow advice....

moodyvilla
22-03-2005, 12:24
It is like everything in life there is a degree of risk but if we tried to adapt our lives around every risk then we simply wouldn't do anything.

We were in Orlando last year for Charley and although it has made me more aware of this potential activity it has not put me off going, (we will be there this August too) I can assure you I would not be taking my family into danger.

The Hype is there beacuse on the TV news you get it 24/7 and it is like they really want something bad to happen - I suppose that is the way of the world these days but I think to change or adapt your plans beacause of this is buying into this hype which I can safely say we don't. Orlando is fantastic throughout the year.

KirstieLou
23-03-2005, 15:46
I wouldn't worry too much. Villas are very well built and I felt safe during Hurricane Jeanne.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/kirstielou/2004105161553_hurricanejeanne.jpg

However some people weren't quite so lucky!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/kirstielou/20041110134840_Oops.jpg

Newhomebuyer
23-03-2005, 15:57
I was there for 3 of them starting with Charley which was the shortest but the most intense (where I was). I am desparate to be back there this year for the same time period. At the moment no one will insure me (health issues). Right now I just wish I only had unlikely hurricanes to deal with, I would be out there in a flash.
Don't let a 'perhaps hurricane' stop you doing what you want to do. Someday, out of the blue, something may come along to stop you doing what you want to do and then you will wish you had taken the small risk. Go! Go! Go! and Enjoy!

Solana
23-03-2005, 21:44
thanks for the pictures and replies everybody and everyone!!!!!!![clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]
solana

gromit
24-03-2005, 00:08
We were there in between hurricanes last year, and the clean up and spirit was amazing. It has not put us off and will be at our villa September this year. If you want to be kspt up to date with weather forecasts you can sign up to Orlando Sentinel Weather Advisory and they e-mail you when there are any kind of weather watches etc.

PollyA
29-03-2005, 20:14
We have been to Florida at all different times of the year but mostly August and without any weather trouble. Last year we were caught in Hurricane Frances we did get an extra 5 days there as all the flights were grounded.
It certainly hasn't put us off Florida we are going early July this year only because we have a choice of dates, we would go back in August/September if we had no choice..

Polly

LiesaAnna
29-03-2005, 21:14
i dont think theres anything that could possibly put us of going to florida!

30-03-2005, 01:43
We have been going in August since 1983 and last year was a hurricane first for us!!

Has it put us off going?? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!![msnwink]