PDA

View Full Version : Mardi Gras

blott
14-02-2003, 02:59
Celebrations on Fridays and Saturdays from 21 February - 05 April 2003 and every day from 11 - 26 April 2003. With live music, street performers, parades, beads, Creole and Cajun cooking...

Ten Saturday night concerts, featuring Sugar Ray (22 Feb), Allman Brothers (01 March), Lynyard Skynyard (08 March), Hootie & the Blowfish (15 March), Live (22 March), Counting Crows (29 March), Village People & KC & The Sunshine Band (05 April), Willie Nelson (12 April), Smash Mouth (19 April) & Chris Izaak (26 April). For Saturday headline concert dates and admission to Universal Studios only. Only $34.95 + tax. To purchase call 407-224-5500

All other festivities included with Universal Studios regular admission plus take your ticket stub during Mardi Gras and use it for City Walk club entrance.

Biggus
14-02-2003, 13:05
Blott,
I am gutted that Hootie are playing the week BEFORE we go out - what a bonus that would have been. Never heard of Live and I think that the Counting Crows might be a little hefty for my mum!! Even the fun night out with the Village People is the day that we leave!!
Oh well never mind!!
Biggus

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-02-2003, 13:40
Great - we are there when the Village People are on - should have Sarah doing *that* dance for the rest of the holiday :D:D:D

fiona
14-02-2003, 14:25
Biggus I am with you about Hootie. Last year we went over for half term and missed Creedance Clearwater Revival by 2 DAYS and Hootie by a week:(. I can tell you if I hadn't let the villa out I think I would have stayed behind! And we have annual season tickets to Universal so get in free for these anyway.

This year we went out beginning of January so of course missing all. Next year I wonder if I can plan it either round half term or early Easter holiday. We've never been at Easter, but we have a break in the GSCE/AS/A levels next year (YD is only taking one GCSE with remaining 10 following year), so I feel a long Spring break may be in order.

blott
14-02-2003, 14:53
quote: Blott,
I am gutted that Hootie are playing the week BEFORE we go out - what a bonus that would have been. Never heard of Live and I think that the Counting Crows might be a little hefty for my mum!! Even the fun night out with the Village People is the day that we leave!! I'm only the messenger and have no responsibility for the dates so please don't shoot me! ;)

Biggus
14-02-2003, 17:30
Dearest Blott,
Sorry I will have to hold you personally responsible for the heartache and misery that your information has caused me!! Messenger or no messenger I am not impressed - get on the phone and tell them to swap the dates around NOW!!;);););););)
We are still gonna have a fantastic time whatever!!:D:D
Biggus

blott
14-02-2003, 19:07
Y.y.y...es S.s.s.ir! W.w.w.i.ll d.d.d.oo! :( [B)] [xx(]

Course you're going to have a fantastic time...! [8D]

Biggus
14-02-2003, 19:22
Blott,
The reality is that if I had booked for the week before I would not have been able to see the New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Devil Rays play at Tropicana Field on our final night in Florida 4th April 2003, so it would be a trade off really. As much as I like Hootie, I am a BIG baseball fan so taking in my first EVER MLB game is more important - assuming that I can get the right tickets for the game when they become available on the Devil Rays website tomorrow!!

p.s I'm not that scary honest (well as non-frightening as a 6'4" 20 stone bloke can be) plus I am hoping to do my PGCE in September so I better get used to being called Sir - eeeeeek frightening thought!!

orlandobabe
18-02-2003, 16:56
I tread that the Celebrations started Feb 16th. Too late for us as we flew back home on the 15th.

Gutted about that-as I really wanted to go.

esprit
09-02-2004, 05:46
Mardi Gras 2004. On Satuday nights only between 14th Feb and 27th March. Parade, food, entertainment including live bands as follows

February 14 - the B-52's

February 21 - Cyndi Lauper & Sheena Easton

February 28 - KC and the Sunshine Band & Chic featuring Nile Rodgers

March 6 - Chaka Kahn & Baha Men

March 13 - Sean Paul

March 20 - The Black Eyed Peas

March 27 - Donna Summer

There will be a parade with tradional Mardi Gras floats and seven new floats with an Egyptian theme including a Mummy Returns float to celebrate the forthcoming new ride.

Included in your normal Universal admission or you can buy a Mardi Gras after 5 ticket for $39.95 plus tax. Floroda residents can get a $10 discount with a promotional code from a Wendys tray liner and valid Florida ID.

tinkerbell
09-02-2004, 15:29
Wow! What a line-up! Shame I can't get out there for it! [msnsad]

mikewj
09-02-2004, 17:22
Sheena Easton, now there's a name to remember.

Wonder whether she'll be singing the old "my baby takes the morning train, he works from 9-5 and then, he takes another home again to find me waiting for him" ?

Sometimes I scare myself !

Mike

esprit
09-02-2004, 19:56
What was the name of that show she was discovered on?? I remember it was a talent show like Opportunity Knocks with Ester Rantzen.
She moved here and has become quite big doing the Vegas type thing. I think I may have to go take a look. I have an annual pass though I quite like Wendy's!!

mikewj
09-02-2004, 23:09
She was discovered on a BBC show called The Big Time which featured one person each week trying to make it in a chosen profession.

The really sad thing is that I can even remember it being on BBC1 on a Wednesday night. It must have been back in the early 80s.....I was only just in high school and must have been doing my homework with the TV on in the background.....honest !!!

Mike

esprit
10-02-2004, 01:59
Thats it!! I seem to remember as well that they didnt think she would make it!

esprit
22-02-2004, 08:22
Went to this tonight and it was excellent, ecpecially Sheena Easton who is now 45 amd after 25 years in the US speaks in a strange mixture of American and Scottish but still drinks tea on stage!! Great parade, collected loads of beads. Universal was absolutely heaving. Annual passholders get their own viewing area. Parade is 8 pm, concerts before and after.