PDA

View Full Version : What area to stay in

paul357
14-03-2005, 12:39
First post on this forum, but I'm a regular reader as Florida is the only place I go on holiday!

Were flying out on the 12th May and are going to spend a few days on the gulf coast. Last time we went we drove down to clearwater beach from our villa (orlando) for the day, but this time we're going to spend 4 days there.

I'd like to stay in a hotel reasonably close to the beach, but in an area where there are places we can walk to with a bit of evening life. We have two young kids so its not nighclubs were looking for, something like resturants and shops that we can go to early evening.

caroline
14-03-2005, 13:35
Why not have a look at the Gulf Coast villas on www.orlandovillas.com there are several that are quite close to the beach and they all offer far more space than being cramped in a hotel room with 2 lively children!

pieman790
14-03-2005, 14:29
Have to agree with Caroline re the villa but if you cannot get a villa we stayed at the Hilton hotel Clearwater beach. It is right on the beach and has it own heated pool.The beach was deserted as it's so big and very clean.
There are shops and restaurants all nearby however they are not the bigs names like you would find in Orlando. Mcdonalds KFC, Subway are all there if you want a snack. We took a drive along the coast and also in Clearwater itself and again lots of places to eat.

CarolAnn
14-03-2005, 15:49
Unless you fancied 4 days in a hotal(as something different from what you are doing in Orlando) think I would consider Caroline's suggestion.:)

paul357
14-03-2005, 16:45
I actually fancy 4 days in a hotel near the beach as I'm staying in the villa for the rest of the holiday. The main thing is that I want to be near shops and returants so that I get a break from driving every where. The only "problem" I've found with florida is you tend to jet in, drive to villa, drive to parks, drive to resturants, and jet out. You never really get the chance to "chill out". When we visited clearwater last year it was a different world to my normal holiday, other than driving in from orlando.

Do people have apartment's or villa's near the beach, it would be an option if its near a shops and resturants

E. Cosgrove
14-03-2005, 16:46
i would go with the villa as well, although if for some reason that is not pssible, we too have stayed at the Hilton Clearwater and had a lovely stay. Prefer not to share with the kids though.

Aiminghigh
14-03-2005, 20:05
Fort Myers is fabulous if you fancy going further South-could dm you name of a condo we've stayed in right on the beach if you wish.

Ruth
15-03-2005, 21:56
I think even in a villa on the coast you will find it very relaxing. In fact more so than a hotel. We always have part of our holiday "chilling out" in a villa at Cape Haze/Rotunda as I find hotels quite stressful with children in tow;)

macflorida2
15-03-2005, 23:38
The Radisson on Sandkey Island just over a bridge from Clearwater is brilliant. Very easy 2 min walk to beach staying in suites accomodation. Five min drive to clearwater.

Lynne S
18-03-2005, 01:48
We are doing this very thing at the end of our summer holiday this year, staying in a wonderful condo just 50 yards from the beach in Clearwater.
I can't wait, after 2 weeks having a great time at the parks etc...Just to chi on the beach will be great[msnwink]
ps we are staying in our own new villa first, then we booked the condo through this site.[msnsmile2][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnwink]

gromit
18-03-2005, 02:07
I would say stay in a villa near the beach - you will be able to chill, and have more privacy and quiet! Hotels can be very busy and not as relaxing and you don't have your own pool etc, but that is just my personal opinion from having stayed in so many with work. I love just sitting listening to the waves and walking along the beach......[8D]

PollyA
18-03-2005, 17:18
What about a Gulf front condo? With that you will have much more space than a hotel room and with a much bigger pool than you would have at a villa.

We always have one week in a villa in Orlando and another in a condo at either Anna Marie Island or Madeira Beach. There are trolley buses running regularly so you don't have to take the car every time you go out.

Polly